Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's about time NPCs should be able to propose marriage!

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited September 2013
    I really like this idea. I would even like a little randomness in my game, but since so many other players are "control freaks," you're idea would probably be best.
    You're forgetting something: Every conversation option your sim has, those NPCs also have.

Edit: You're also assuming this code won't glitch or can actually be implemented like that without also implementing allowing for NPCs to make random proposals.

Well your first statement is surprisingly false. Those NPCs don't have the option to propose marriage. :P

The option that the OP is proposing would be an option only for the active sim. Just like how "propose marriage" is an option only for the active sim. So I don't see how it would be any more difficult to implement without glitches than the current "propose marriage" option is to implement without glitches.

And anyway, we're talking about ts4, so it's not fully accurate to confine it to the limits ts3 had. (Though I'm not saying it isn't useful in any way to take guesses as to what the limits of ts4 might be based upon the limits of ts3.)

The option could be something like, as the OP suggested, "Talk about marriage," which could automatically prompt the other NPC to "propose marriage."

I would like it better, though, if "talking about marriage" didn't always prompt the NPC to propose marriage. I would prefer it if the likelihood of the NPC proposing immediately after depended on certain things. Like the current relationship status, the mood of the NPC, maybe even the environment (if there's a rocketship painting nearby maybe that would increase the likelihood of the NPC proposing :P ) . But after several tries the NPC should do it, always, I think.

And just to clarify: I'm not fully sure what the definition of NPC is when we're talking about the sims, so in every case I used above I mean "a sim that is not active." They don't necessarily have to be non-playable. A sim could still "talk about marriage" with a sim that is within the active household, just like how a sim can, in ts3, "propose marriage" to a sim that is within the active household.

You have the definition of "NPC" accurate ^^ "NPC" means "everyone except the player character(s)."
    Ok, that's good to know. I know some people catagorize "townie" different from "NPC." I never have known the proper definition. But if TanyaRubirose said it, it must be right! :lol:
    And, actually, sims in Sims 3 do have the capacity to propose marriage; they are programmed not to ask the player's sims to marry them. It's rare, but you can occasionally spot an NPC proposing to another NPC.
    I didn't know that; I've never seen it happen. But, I did assume that you meant this:
    For every conversation option your sim can perform on those NPCs, those NPCs can perform on your sim.
    In which case, what I said still stands; but if you didn't mean that then apparently what I said doesn't apply.
    In any case, the one main issue is that, in order for this interaction to happen, they must enable sims to propose to the player's sims on some level. Whether or not Sims 3 and Sims 4 are different games is completely irrelevant; even if they use different coding techniques and languages, both are bound by the same rules and limits on the coding level. Sims 3 gives you an idea of why enabling something is not necessarily a good idea... it can, through the limits of a logic engine, end up repeatedly spammed to the point it ends up a major annoyance to a player.

And, really, there is nothing preventing this from being glitched. In fact, this particular kind of enabled-yet-triggered coding is extremely easy to glitch, and when you get into dealing with the video game industry you can see that even some of the best programmers still glitch it on a regular basis. And that's assuming EA manages to even program it right and doesn't just enable the marriage aspect for NPCs to ask the player sim, add in a new conversation option that automatically triggers a proposal, and pray it works out.

So, it's not a question of "can this annoy people," but a question of "can EA patch it to stop annoying people."

I guess that's believable. It doesn't really seem like it would be something that is so easy to mishandle. Just a simple little line in there to say, "If Player initiates action 'Talk about marriage,' then 'propose marriage.' Else do the other stuff we've programmed you to do." Never, ever "propose marriage" unless this one certain circumstance happens. Put that info into every sim that falls under NPC category (that category would be changing as you swap between sims). And write all that in computer code...

Yeah it's probably pretty obvious that I have no understanding of computer game programming :roll: :P .

Yeah, I just meant that they have all of the options. Which is why adding this can potentially have other, unintended effects.

Oh, trust me, it always seems that simple, even to most programmers. Most programmers, in turn, find out it's never that simple :P

Has a lot to do with the fact computers and humans have entirely different logic processes. What is logical to a person isn't always logical to a computer, and vice versa. So no matter how experienced you are at programming, there's always a slight element of trial-and-error in programming. And also, just because it worked last time does not mean it will work this time; that also comes up in computer programming.

So, basically, think of it as trying to instruct a completely alien mind to do what you want to do using an intermediary language that neither of you actually speak and both of you must translate into and from. And keep in mind the alien mind you're speaking with is utterly literal; it will take everything you say exactly the way you said it and assume that is how you meant it.
  • Options
    sydsyrioussydsyrious Posts: 63 Member
    edited September 2013
    kirby356 wrote:
    Yes this should be added. It's the one thing I hate about TS3.

It's the one thing I hate about the sims in general :D
    I just do not seem to understand why it would be so hard to make this an option and I really hope we get this in TS4 :D

It wouldn't be that hard. I am familiar with how the mod works that makes it possible in TS3 and it was simply a matter of turning the autonomy to true from the default false. This is something I think they could very easily do.
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I just meant that they have all of the options. Which is why adding this can potentially have other, unintended effects.

Oh, trust me, it always seems that simple, even to most programmers. Most programmers, in turn, find out it's never that simple :P

Has a lot to do with the fact computers and humans have entirely different logic processes. What is logical to a person isn't always logical to a computer, and vice versa. So no matter how experienced you are at programming, there's always a slight element of trial-and-error in programming. And also, just because it worked last time does not mean it will work this time; that also comes up in computer programming.

So, basically, think of it as trying to instruct a completely alien mind to do what you want to do using an intermediary language that neither of you actually speak and both of you must translate into and from. And keep in mind the alien mind you're speaking with is utterly literal; it will take everything you say exactly the way you said it and assume that is how you meant it.

Meh. It seems to me like logic is logic, whether its in a computer program, an alien, or a human brain. It seems like you could just say, "If *condition*, then *action a*. Else *action b*." It seems like that. But I definitely can see how it could get so complicated that it would be difficult to keep straight.

The closest I've come to computer programming is scripting characters in a 2d turn-based puzzle game, which should be very different from the sims, haha. It seems like the basic principles would be the same.....but I can only say what it seems like, to me.
  • Options
    Rinoa666AngelRinoa666Angel Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

I just do not seem to understand why it would be so hard to make this an option and I really hope we get this in TS4 :D

It wouldn't be that hard. I am familiar with how the mod works that makes it possible in TS3 and it was simply a matter of turning the autonomy to true from the default false. This is something I think they could very easily do.

Agreed.I don't like too many mods in my game so it would be very nice of them to add this into the game :D
    Just add 3 simple words for us to click and have another sim propose,easy,simple,done :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Meh. It seems to me like logic is logic, whether its in a computer program, an alien, or a human brain. It seems like you could just say, "If *condition*, then *action a*. Else *action b*." It seems like that. But I definitely can see how it could get so complicated that it would be difficult to keep straight.

The closest I've come to computer programming is scripting characters in a 2d turn-based puzzle game, which should be very different from the sims, haha. It seems like the basic principles would be the same.....but I can only say what it seems like, to me.

In theory, it works like that every time. And, that's how it should work.

Sometimes, it only works that way for small programs. Part of the problem with people using mods as examples is that small programs can do things that cannot be included in large programs due to the complexity of the larger program's code. That's actually why it is some operating systems these days are not a single program, but dozens of programs being managed by a single program that watches them all. It's also why, more and more, the single-program approach is being abandoned in the computer world in favor of an APP-style modular program setup. They're also finding far less code conflicts in that setup, which means that the future of computer programming may be entirely in app-design.

That's also why it is Sims 3 mods were able to do a lot of things that simply could not be added to Sims 3 itself.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

Just because a mod can do it doesn't mean that a larger program can. In fact, mods are noted in a number of games for doing things that cannot be accomplished by the game itself.

Read my post prior to this one, the one to asdfthesims.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    misgav wrote:
    love this idea.

Thank u :D
    I love giving ideas and I hope a guru sees my thread and at LEAST read it,maybe it can give them an idea of what to put in an EP :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

Just because a mod can do it doesn't mean that a larger program can. In fact, mods are noted in a number of games for doing things that cannot be accomplished by the game itself.

TLDR

No argument there. It is an interaction that many would like to see added. I don't think anyone on this board can determine if it can or cannot be done or how easy/hard it would be to implement.

Hopefully this thread can stay focused on if this is something more people would like to see.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

In theory, it works like that every time. And, that's how it should work.

Sometimes, it only works that way for small programs. Part of the problem with people using mods as examples is that small programs can do things that cannot be included in large programs due to the complexity of the larger program's code. That's actually why it is some operating systems these days are not a single program, but dozens of programs being managed by a single program that watches them all. It's also why, more and more, the single-program approach is being abandoned in the computer world in favor of an APP-style modular program setup. They're also finding far less code conflicts in that setup, which means that the future of computer programming may be entirely in app-design.

That's also why it is Sims 3 mods were able to do a lot of things that simply could not be added to Sims 3 itself.
    That does make sense.
    From reading your post, it definitely seems like a modular approach would be the way to go: less complex and therefore easier to understand. Are there any advantages to keeping it all together in one program? Why do some programmers still hold onto the single-program method?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:
    sydsyrious wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

TLDR

No argument there. It is an interaction that many would like to see added. I don't think anyone on this board can determine if it can or cannot be done or how easy/hard it would be to implement.

Hopefully this thread can stay focused on if this is something more people would like to see.

Look up Patch 1.32. That was a problem the devs themselves, in response to myself and others saying would come about before Showtime was even released, said would not happen. You can still find some of the posts where I pointed it out in my posting history. Feel free to look them up yourself using the search function on here.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That does make sense.
    From reading your post, it definitely seems like a modular approach would be the way to go: less complex and therefore easier to understand. Are there any advantages to keeping it all together in one program? Why do some programmers still hold onto the single-program method?

It's easier to code a single program over multiple ones, single programs tend to be smaller because they don't need as much coding devoted to activating other programs, and single programs can be easier to bughunt (with multiple programs, sometimes the bug is in how two programs interact) and easier to patch.

In video gaming, the main advantage is in them crashing. If you have a video game of multiple programs, one crashing may not take down the others, but in fact cause several errors within the game and make it difficult. It can create a scenario where a person has to restart their computer just to be rid of the extra programs. With an operating system, a minor program crashing isn't necessarily as big of a deal.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's easier to code a single program over multiple ones, single programs tend to be smaller because they don't need as much coding devoted to activating other programs, and single programs can be easier to bughunt (with multiple programs, sometimes the bug is in how two programs interact) and easier to patch.

In video gaming, the main advantage is in them crashing. If you have a video game of multiple programs, one crashing may not take down the others, but in fact cause several errors within the game and make it difficult. It can create a scenario where a person has to restart their computer just to be rid of the extra programs. With an operating system, a minor program crashing isn't necessarily as big of a deal.
    Oh. Makes sense. Thanks for clearing all that up for me. :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Look up Patch 1.32. That was a problem the devs themselves, in response to myself and others saying would come about before Showtime was even released, said would not happen. You can still find some of the posts where I pointed it out in my posting history. Feel free to look them up yourself using the search function on here.

So really good ideas should just be derailed because they might not be able to be implemented? Sounds like a very negative way to go about things.

Again, this thread is not about whether it's possible - it's about whether it's something others would like to see.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:

So really good ideas should just be derailed because they might not be able to be implemented? Sounds like a very negative way to go about things.

Again, this thread is not about whether it's possible - it's about whether it's something others would like to see.

I honestly didn't read what she had to say after her first post lol
    I made this thread to tell people what I would love to see in the game and I welcome all positive and negative feedback :D
    Some love it,awesome,some hate it,that's cool :D and "one" just goes on and on and on about junk that I didn't even ask about but I noticed this "one" has the same extreme negativity on ALOT of posts I have read so yes,the power of ignore is great :mrgreen:

Thank you for thinking my idea is good,it's exactly what it is,an idea,not an argument.Yes I love it,heeeeck no I hate it get outta here lol,that's all I care about reading. :mrgreen:

Anyway have a great day,my baby is going crazy over here so gonna give him a bath LOL,it's LABOR DAY people,get out and BBQ,I know I am lol,see you guys :mrgreen:

Hope to hear from some new people what they think about my "idea" :D
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh I want townies to start asking our sims to go steady,to kiss,offer to buy a drink etc.

Agreed!
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:

I made this thread to tell people what I would love to see in the game and I welcome all positive and negative feedback :D
    Some love it,awesome,some hate it,that's cool :D and "one" just goes on and on and on about junk that I didn't even ask about but I noticed this "one" has the same extreme negativity on ALOT of posts I have read so yes,the power of ignore is great :mrgreen:

Thank you for thinking my idea is good,it's exactly what it is,an idea,not an argument.Yes I love it,heeeeck no I hate it get outta here lol,that's all I care about reading. :mrgreen:

Anyway have a great day,my baby is going crazy over here so gonna give him a bath LOL,it's LABOR DAY people,get out and BBQ,I know I am lol,see you guys :mrgreen:

Hope to hear from some new people what they think about my "idea" :D

I love the idea of the other sim proposing, but I'd like to see it based on their relationship, personality and mood.

And don't ignore that one OP!, Thank it for bumping your thread or I wouldn't have seen it. It probably can't help itself in thinking we need it's approval. :lol:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sydsyrious wrote:

Considering burrito babies, teleporting into cars, and the lack of things to do with babies and toddlers are just the tip of the iceberg that are bad things which resulted from ideas that were good in theory during the Sims 2 era? Yes.

EA does listen to ideas. The problem is, EA isn't always good about implementing those ideas. People like me do what we do on this site not because we like derailing good ideas... but because we've seen too many times where a good theory has had horrible implementation. And I want Sims 4 to be a better game, not just a new version of Sims 3 making entirely different mistakes.

What? Did you think I enjoyed doing this?
    g01denswan wrote:
    And don't ignore that one OP!, Thank it for bumping your thread or I wouldn't have seen it. It probably can't help itself in thinking we need it's approval. :lol:

Actually, I know you don't need my approval :P That's why, most of the time on these, I make a single post and leave. After all, I'm just some name on a screen.

When the OP didn't reply, I left her alone out of respect for the fact she didn't want to be involved in a discussion of her idea with me. Message was loud and clear.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ...I welcome all positive and negative feedback :D
    I noticed this "one" has the same extreme negativity on ALOT of posts I have read so

Oh, how I could rip your somewhat inconsistent statements out of their context and make them appear totally inconsistent... :lol:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited September 2013
    ...Thank you for thinking my idea is good,it's exactly what it is,an idea,not an argument.Yes I love it,heeeeck no I hate it get outta here lol,that's all I care about reading. :mrgreen:

You know, this came across as very flippant and self-serving. Tanya and others are here to discuss your idea, and are doing quite well at having a civil discussion without arguing or flaming anyone. If you want only affirmative responses, then you should state that in your title, but in fact you welcomed negative feedback, so what gives? If you don't want to read their posts, then don't, but don't make light of what they are intelligently discussing. There's lots of lurkers reading these threads as well, and gleaning something from what they say.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    I haven't read the entire thread but I did read the OPs statements. Can we clarify what is an NPC and a Townie in TS4. In TS2 and TS1 NPCs were non playables...couldn't play them...Tragic Clown, Grim Reaper, Mrs. Crumplebottom etc.

In TS2 a 'townie' was a character that came into your hoods and you 'could' make them 'playable'.

In TS3 a 'townie' to me is a Sim the Gurus made to live in all the houses not leaving me hardly any vacant homes to choose for my own Sims.

I know this is a stickler point of view..but yeah, I don't want the premades to ask my Sims to get married...my Sim is just going to turn them down...sorry...my Sims rarely marry premades and unless I make that 'townie' playable and have decided they are good enough for whatever reason I want to play out in a story in my head.

I first want to know if TS4 actually has 'NPCs' and or even 'townies'...that enter and exit my worlds...or if you mean 'premade' families in TS4?

I'm sure the OP meant the 'townie' Sims...however, nope, I don't want them to propose..waste of my time since I wouldn't accept..and I don't mind switching characters to make the one of them ask the other so the last name will be the name of the other etc.

I certaintly want NPCs and Townies to have more autonom. actions, however, not so much so the game starts running my game...because honestly...let's say it is a female asking...and my Sim is a male..wouldn't that mean when my male accepts the surname will change to hers...nope...wouldn't want that.

Example of a move you have to think about. In TS2 and TS3 whenever a Sim asked the other to slow dance, the one accepting..leads...ever notice? This is horrible when you wanted to make a video of it..and the leading person is the girl...instead of the male leading when he did the asking... :roll:

So, if 'townies' get to ask my Sim to get married then let's say it is a straight couple...the girl may get down on her knees to give the ring...uh no...call me old fashioned..but I would rather the male offer the ring etc. And since TS1 whomever has done the 'asking' has seemed backwards as in the situation I just gave you.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    Happychic101297Happychic101297 Posts: 1,002 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I love your idea.
  • Options
    rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    edited September 2013
    I also like this idea, and although I can't comment about implementation from any actual knowledge base, it seems to me like they're headed in this direction with the emotional complexity of TS4. If ALL sims are going to have emotions (not just the ones you control), it would make sense to me that an NPC in a "flirty" mood might ask your sim out, or an already steady love interest in a "passionate" mood might propose. I understand the concern of being spammed with marriage proposals, but if everything is already being linked to the emotions system (as the previews make it seem like they are), then it may be easier for TS4 to do things like this while ensuring that it makes sense in context.
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited September 2013
    I'm a bit tired of having either my female sim propose marriage to an NPC or cheating and making that NPC a part of my family to propose to my sim.I don't see how hard it will be to make their relationship go to extremely irresistible and have an option for MY sim to choose " Talk about Marriage" and that makes the NPC go down on one knee and propose. Hope that options shows on in a future TS4 EP :mrgreen:

OMG YES!!! :thumbup:
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2013
    We don't have to cheat to make NPCs part of the household... you have your Sim ask them to move it...

If they're good friends- then all you need to do is several friendly interactions and the Move In interaction is available.

No cheating at all AND you're female doesn't have to propose marriage. :lol: