Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ways I've made Island Paradise not lag as much!

Comments

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2013
    I've read all of the blogs here and I see that if I am not really computer literate..I'm just done..I don't know what modes are..these cache or cc's..Is there an EZ to follow step by step guide in LAYMANS terms that I can use??/
    Caches files are temporary files the game makes, in basic terms, to help it find information it's already had to look for before - it's like spending ages looking for something in an untidy room, then deciding to put it somewhere really obvious so you can find it easier next time.

It's good practice clear them every time you shut the game down to allow them to be restarted when you next start it, or they can become really large which defeats the purpose of them, and can make your game lag and cause other issues.

To delete your game caches (plus some other files), make sure your game is closed, then go to (on Windows 7) C:\Users\Your PC Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. There you can delete the files:
    CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    Sims3LauncherLogFile
    (.txt)
    Sims3Logs(.xml)
    SocialCache.package
    You can also delete your WorldCaches folder.
    Do not delete the DCCache file or you will lose all installed Cc or Store Items from your game

If you have any
    ScriptError(.xml)
    OR
    xcept(.bin/.txt)
    files, you can delete those too.

For more info on the files in your The Sims 3 folder, go here:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Sims+3+Folder+Contents+FAQ
  • Options
    pam4402003pam4402003 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2013
    I am using windows 7 and my virtual memory is 6134 MB How do I know if I need to change this at all? I really do not know to much about this stuff. and if I do need to change this what would I change it to?
  • Options
    ZeulaZeula Posts: 506 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I swear by Razor Game Booster. I love that thing!
  • Options
    DandeelionDandeelion Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2013
    Callum- Thanks very much for such a clear explanation. I'm not great at these things either and your instructions look really clear and easy to follow. Going to try it now. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    SimplyToriSimplyTori Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2013
    Ty so much sam123 for making this thread :thumbup: I followed your advice and my game is running smoother :mrgreen:
    I'd also like to thank you too Callum9432 I knew to delete the cache folders but I did not know we could delete the others you have listed :D
    you fellows are just awesome simmers Thanks again :wink:

Happy Simming Tori
    justlurking.gif
  • Options
    mwatson6mwatson6 Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I have a bunch of files with titles similar to this, "xcpt unknown001f5bb9 13-06-28 13.19.37.txt", does anyone know if it is okay to delete these files? I am trying to delete some of the other things that were listed (i.e., featured items) and I noticed these files. Help is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    edited June 2013
    A couple of things that have helped me that I don't see listed.

You mentioned some of Twallan's mods, but not the Register mod. It lets you keep various categories of stray pets from spawning as well as the deer and raccoons. Sometimes they can get into unroutable situations too. It also has the added bonus of being able to shut off those pesky paparazzi too. Lol. It is a trade off though about whether you want the stray pets in your town or not.

The thing that has helped me the most so far has been to go through the builds in the town in edit town mode and find potential pathing issues. It has made it so my game runs almost lag free in the night time hours though I still have issues in daytime. I found several sims houses where the circular stairs were placed in ways that I am pretty confident won't be useable by sims living there. Also a couple of situations on commercial lots where objects that free will sims like to try to interact with were put in unroutable positions in builds. It was a tedious process, but so far one of the most effective for my game.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2013
    mwatson6 wrote:
    I have a bunch of files with titles similar to this, "xcpt unknown001f5bb9 13-06-28 13.19.37.txt", does anyone know if it is okay to delete these files? I am trying to delete some of the other things that were listed (i.e., featured items) and I noticed these files. Help is greatly appreciated!
    Yes, xcpt files are just a result of a game crash, they aren't required :)
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    edited June 2013
    AlexBoyJr wrote:
    Delete a household called the Scott family who i believe live on a houseboat. They tend to get stuck in and around their houseboat and they seem to be more common at getting stuck in places around Isla Paradiso, worth a try.

They are incredibly annoying. As soon as I started my first game they were stuck on my empty lot when I was trying to build a houseboat. I had ti delete them, then after I finished they invited themselves into my house, i drove off with them anf they spent a whole 24 hours complaining bout they gotta go somewhere. Then they kept taking all the leftovers iut thr fridge and leaving them all over. I made it back ti port, sold the boat (I suffer from motion sickness and the movement if the bost was making me ill) . I haven't heard a peep out of them since.
  • Options
    mwatson6mwatson6 Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Thank you Callum9432!!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2013
    There are no strays on these islands - it is another classification like City and WA worlds - no pets. You can still find one house in the hood to adopt a pet or call for a pet adoption, but no strays. Ironically though if you have overwatch it seems to override the no strays, as someone was telling me they were getting pets and she has Overwatch in. Overwatch has apparently programming to control pets - so you might get them like my friend is if you use it. But my sim has been there now 6 weeks and no strays anywhere. Not even the little collectibles. All my spawners are spawning gems and such, no pets - but if you have overwatch you will get collectibles. Weird or what. I don't use mods so I don't care. The only thing I shut off is hail and snow.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    I would LOVE to delete all the Featured Items, but as soon as I do and then start the game again, they all return.
    Anyone know how to turn off the Featured Items feature? I don't want it!!

I can tell how to do exactly that with a few easy steps:

-First, find your Featured Items folder in the Sims 3 folder.
    -Right click on the folder and scroll down to 'Properties'
    -Once in Properties, go to the Security tab.
    -In Security, there is an option to edit Permissions. Select this option.
    -Make sure you have your User name selected from the list of permissions (Not SYSTEM).
    -Edit the option to 'Write' to the folder to 'Deny'. Apply the changes and you're done.

This will disable the game from being able to recreate the contents of the folder every time you load the game.

featureitemsfolder.jpg

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

Hey my virtual memory says something like there's 523347 and the recommended virtul memory should be 3400mb what shall i set mine to? i put it at initial 30000 and maximum 50000

The recommended amount is basically just the minimum that it should have. There's totally nothing wrong with having more. As long as you have the hard drive space to cover it, your values are fine the way they are. I have mine set to maximum of 20000 and that seems to be more than enough.

smilies246 - Sorry, can't help you with Windows XP. :( It's been years since I had that OS. Maybe somebody else who uses it could offer some advice.

How can I change my virtual memory?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ty so much sam123 for making this thread :thumbup: I followed your advice and my game is running smoother :mrgreen:
    I'd also like to thank you too Callum9432 I knew to delete the cache folders but I did not know we could delete the others you have listed :D
    you fellows are just awesome simmers Thanks again :wink:

Happy Simming Tori

Hehe, no worries :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'd advise people to be extremely cautious about using the Razor Game Booster, I downloaded the file from their official site and run my virus checker over it and detected a virus.

Not a heuristic false positive but a specific virus, so be VERY careful.
    raw
  • Options
    pringtjoepringtjoe Posts: 496 New Member
    edited June 2013
    sam123 wrote:
    pringtjoe wrote:

Hey my virtual memory says something like there's 523347 and the recommended virtul memory should be 3400mb what shall i set mine to? i put it at initial 30000 and maximum 50000

The recommended amount is basically just the minimum that it should have. There's totally nothing wrong with having more. As long as you have the hard drive space to cover it, your values are fine the way they are. I have mine set to maximum of 20000 and that seems to be more than enough.

smilies246 - Sorry, can't help you with Windows XP. :( It's been years since I had that OS. Maybe somebody else who uses it could offer some advice.

Hey you go to system, then advance system settings on the left hand side, then performance is on there and go to settings and then the advance tab and then un tick the automatically manage paging file size and type in the amount you want to use in custom and click set then ok :) even though i done everything that everyone has suggested and it hasn't made my game not lag :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:
    sam123 wrote:
    pringtjoe wrote:

Hey you go to system, then advance system settings on the left hand side, then performance is on there and go to settings and then the advance tab and then un tick the automatically manage paging file size and type in the amount you want to use in custom and click set then ok :) even though i done everything that everyone has suggested and it hasn't made my game not lag :(

How much should I put for initial and max? Maybe the lag you're having is caused by your graphics settings or specs? What is your edge smoothing on?
  • Options
    aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited June 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    I would LOVE to delete all the Featured Items, but as soon as I do and then start the game again, they all return.

You can turn featured items off under the options menu in game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aclavo wrote:
    Stdlr9 wrote:

I don't think I have that option.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited June 2013
    aclavo wrote:
    Stdlr9 wrote:

Doing this does not delete the files and keep them from returning, though. However, I followed the instructions above about making the path folder read-only and that worked. I was able to delete almost 2000 files/55 MB worth!! Thanks a million to the Simmer who posted the instructions. :D
  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    Use the testingcheatsenabled true cheat first. Also make sure you have your family selected.

discoverAllUnchartedIslands
  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    I delete all the tmp files before I start the game, that seemes to slow the lag down.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What are the tmp files?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Bumping
  • Options
    faabulousfaabulous Posts: 257 New Member
    edited July 2013
    bump, found this thread very useful :)