Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 'Ive never won a contest' Contest - Contest closed

Comments

• Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well we have electricity back!!! so that's one major headache solved. Part of the main board failed (and its only 2 years old), and had to be replaced. The electrician just kept shaking his head and saying things like 'this shouldn't have happened' and 'ive never seen one of these fail before'. I could practically hear the bill racking up lol.

So now to try and fix my game!

1pm. All my sims 3 games are now uninstalled. I followed the directions for manually uninstalling from registry as well to ensure I got everything, but there was one part I didn't understand when it came to the program file section so I had to leave it.
    Im actually sitting here now considering the possibility of wiping my pc, and reloading a fresh install of windows. Its very tempting.... off to google format!

2.25pm. Good news! Found my windows disc....Bad news! no product key
    Good news! product key is on a label at the back of my pc, why did they put it there? Bad news! cant find my external hard drive to back up essential files. Semi good news, hubby has a small flash drive so I have to be selective about what I can save. Less is more!

Now to dive into the murky depths of Bios settings so I can boot from disc and do the format and reinstall. Here goes!

3.30pm Well that was quicker than i expected! Fully formatted and reinstalled. All drivers done, back on the net (obviously!) and now I just need to do something with the display as it all looks very small

1 lesson I learned, a wireless keyboard is useless in a format!! I had to go hunting for a keyboad and mouse I could plug in lol, as my wirelss one needed drivers. And i couldnt do drivers till i got windows installed and I couldnt install windows without typing in the product key. and I couldnt type in the product key......... you can see where this is going.

Next is Origin and Sims downloads!! While I was waiting for windows to install I found my external hard drive AND my 32gb flash drive at the back of my pc. 5 minutes too late to save all the other files i could have saved doh!

3.47pm Origin installed, just starting the sims 3 base game download. I wonder how many hours this is going to take to download everything.

5.45pm 2 hours to get the basegame! and now im downloading the patch. Then I will test run, and decide what to do next. Store content or eps/sps

6.20pm Patched to 1.55 and game runs fine on test. Ive decided to do the sp's next and i have set all of them downloading.

6.57pm All 7 stuff packs downloaded and game tested ok. I think i will do the ep's 3 at a time, so WA LN and Ambitions next.

9.10pm Ive done something catastrophic to windows in trying to delete a flie I accidently downloaded when i was looking for something else. I now no longer have a documents folder in Library, and without a documents folder I cannot run sims of course. Oh god......... i think i might be able to just reinstall windows without formatting. Im also getting a bad headache.

10.44pm I tried system restore, didn't fix it. I tried just installing windows, couldn't do that. So a whole new format, except I now have another issue. I have 2 hard drives, and I formatted and reinstalled, and forgot to format both. I then installed windows on the wrong drive. So now I switch my pc on its looking for 2 locations. This just means I have to select the location, but even so, its another complication. What I should do at this point is go back again, reformat again, then reinstall again. I should, but I wont. I will regret not doing it next week im sure, but right now im going to live with the issue.

So now im in the process of downloading Origin again and starting the whole download process over again. It took 2 hours last time to get the base game. Im hoping to get the base game, get the patch, get the Sp's and then set it to download all the eps, then I will go to bed. What a nightmare!

Murphys Law: if it can go wrong, it will.

1.55am
    Sims 3 base - loaded
    Patch 1.55 - loaded
    7 Sp's - loaded
    9 Ep's - currently downloading

Whether its a good idea or not to be downloading 9 eps all in one go, im past the point of caring. So im going to bed and hopefully it will be cooked by the morning. Then its store stuff and hopefully fixed. And working.

Saturday 12.30pm I was hoping that all my eps would be installed this morning, but my pc had other ideas as it shut down overnight, I forgot to amend the stand by settings.
    All store content is installed, there has been 1 casualty however. Hidden Springs has never shown in mypage on the icon that I own it, but the download link was always there so I never worried. Now that I have formatted my pc I understand that Hidden SPrings, because it is code activated, would have been in the registry and now it no longer is. So according to the store I don't own it. I do have the original email though confirming purchase and I have sent that off to EA.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wealthy wrote:
    Thank you!:)
    Edit: I have a new problem when I click the share button in game to get it onto my launcher to upload it to the exchange it fails! Why is it failing D:

Try saving the lot to the bin, delete the existing one then place it again from the bin, then try to upload. good luck! I hope you are not having patch issues as well, did you patch your game this week?
  • Options
    HazellHazell Posts: 304 Member
    edited June 2013
    That sounds like such a pain! But luckily this works in my favour because I was unable to play the last few days so I'll get to finish my house by the new deadline of tomorrow. :lol:

Edit: Typo!
  • Options
    Meg1626Meg1626 Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well we have electricity back!!! so that's one major headache solved. Part of the main board failed (and its only 2 years old), and had to be replaced. The electrician just kept shaking his head and saying things like 'this shouldn't have happened' and 'ive never seen one of these fail before'. I could practically hear the bill racking up lol.

So now to try and fix my game!

1pm. All my sims 3 games are now uninstalled. I followed the directions for manually uninstalling from registry as well to ensure I got everything, but there was one part I didn't understand when it came to the program file section so I had to leave it.
    Im actually sitting here now considering the possibility of wiping my pc, and reloading a fresh install of windows. Its very tempting.... off to google format!

2.25pm. Good news! Found my windows disc....Bad news! no product key
    Good news! product key is on a label at the back of my pc, why did they put it there? Bad news! cant find my external hard drive to back up essential files. Semi good news, hubby has a small flash drive so I have to be selective about what I can save. Less is more!

Now to dive into the murky depths of Bios settings so I can boot from disc and do the format and reinstall. Here goes!

3.30pm Well that was quicker than i expected! Fully formatted and reinstalled. All drivers done, back on the net (obviously!) and now I just need to do something with the display as it all looks very small

1 lesson I learned, a wireless keyboard is useless in a format!! I had to go hunting for a keyboad and mouse I could plug in lol, as my wirelss one needed drivers. And i couldnt do drivers till i got windows installed and I couldnt install windows without typing in the product key. and I couldnt type in the product key......... you can see where this is going.

Next is Origin and Sims downloads!! While I was waiting for windows to install I found my external hard drive AND my 32gb flash drive at the back of my pc. 5 minutes too late to save all the other files i could have saved doh!

3.47pm Origin installed, just starting the sims 3 base game download. I wonder how many hours this is going to take to download everything.

5.45pm 2 hours to get the basegame! and now im downloading the patch. Then I will test run, and decide what to do next. Store content or eps/sps

6.20pm Patched to 1.55 and game runs fine on test. Ive decided to do the sp's next and i have set all of them downloading.

6.57pm All 7 stuff packs downloaded and game tested ok. I think i will do the ep's 3 at a time, so WA LN and Ambitions next.

9.10pm Ive done something catastrophic to windows in trying to delete a flie I accidently downloaded when i was looking for something else. I now no longer have a documents folder in Library, and without a documents folder I cannot run sims of course. Oh god......... i think i might be able to just reinstall windows without formatting. Im also getting a bad headache.

Wow... just, wow! You have more patience than I do. I think I might've thrown my mouse out the window by this point! :x :mrgreen: I really hope you get it all sorted out soon!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rosemow wrote:
    I hope that everything works out okay for your computer. I am sorry that you are having these problems.

Thanks Rosemow and Meg1626

My pc did need a reformat in any case, ive been thinking about it for a few weeks and I keep putting it off, so when this weeks patch came out and with Island Paradise next week I guess now is as good a time as any. Its just a shame it coincides with the contest close date, but it should, fingers crossed, be resolved tomorrow!

Ive now got an issue with windows in 2 locations, but im just thinking this through and I might be able to turn it to my advantage. I have windows 8 upgrade but have not installed it as I really like windows 7 and I don't see the point in upgrading if im happy with 7. But sometimes I would like to see what 8 is like, so I might install it on the other drive and hopefully I should just be able to switch between the 2.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hazell wrote:
    That sounds like such a pain! But luckily this works in my favour because I was unable to play the last few days so I'll get to finish my house by the new deadline of tomorrow. :lol:

Edit: Typo!

oh that's good Hazell, I hope you can get your entry in!

At the rate my issues are going though it might June 2014 before I get to see these entries lol
  • Options
    wealthywealthy Posts: 166 New Member
    edited June 2013
    wealthy wrote:
    Thank you!:)
    Edit: I have a new problem when I click the share button in game to get it onto my launcher to upload it to the exchange it fails! Why is it failing D:

Try saving the lot to the bin, delete the existing one then place it again from the bin, then try to upload. good luck! I hope you are not having patch issues as well, did you patch your game this week?

I tried this, it didn't work, I don't know what it wrong!
  • Options
    StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited June 2013
    I like this idea for a contest, but i dont know if I should be sad og happy that i can't enter?!?! :-o

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    AimForTheHeadAimForTheHead Posts: 805 Member
    edited June 2013
    It doesn't look like I'm going to make the cut off time in 40 minutes :( I'm just about done but there's some little things I still want to do with the house, then the upload time (if it works)... :( I'll still post it here when I'm finished, even if I can't be considered in the contest :) this is/was a really great idea and thanks again for motivating me to at least make an attempt at a contest entry! Hope your computer troubles get fixed soon! :)
  • Options
    TerseRat5204TerseRat5204 Posts: 3,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    Is it too late? :( NO!!!

Banner%2BFor%2BSims.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Its not too late, I have extended the deadline by 24 hours due to the fact that my pc has gone into meltdown and its going to take me a day to fix it. There are in fact 22 hours before the contest closes :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So I still have time then! :) thanks for that!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This is my first contest I don't know if this will be considered because my game is experiencing issues with sharing my lots and households (it is failing in game)I will only have pictures of every little detail from house to sims on flickr!
    Edit: I GOT IT WORKING WOOOO!:D

The Household!

Username: Wealthy
    MyPage: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/wealthy

My household: Darnis
    Link: (this is to flickr to see my sims) http://www.flickr.com/photos/97869470@N06/

Edit: Link to exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7411698

Description: The Darnis couple have gotten away to this forest secluded cabin Jim has built with his own two hands! Jim is a frugal piece of work who doesn't own many clothes and hates the new development of the modern world; while his wife, Kenna, wishes to own fashionable clothes and live the city life style but she is confined to Jim's wants. Will Kenna continue to be the housewife or will she move on?

Pictures of sims:on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/97869470@N06/

Household members:
    Kenna Darnis
    traits: Brooding, dislikes children, frugal, loves the outdoors, neat
    Bio: Kenna is a dedicated housewife, she cooks and cleans for her husband, Jim. She longs the city life but is kept hidden in their cabin within the forest.

Jim Darnis
    Traits: Angler, frugal, loves the outdoors, slob, technophobe
    Bio: Jim doesn't like the new modern technology, conveniences and buying new things. He built a cabin with his wife to escape the rise of the developing city, he has limited wardrobe due to hi personality, ripped shirts, two pairs of pants? Jim is the most frugal person you will ever meet

my lot:

Username: Wealthy
    My Page link:http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/wealthy
    Link: (Again since the failing of the exchange, using flickr to show) http://www.flickr.com/photos/97869470@N06/

Edit: Link to Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7411698

My Lot: Cozy Cabin
    Description: 1 bed, 1 bath, This small quaint cabin is perfect for a couple, Secluded and quiet this is a get away for anyone who doesn't enjoy the city.

Pics of the house are on flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/97869470@N06/

Everything visually about my house and household is on flickr!
    Thank you! I hope I can get this sharing thing fixed!

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    edited June 2013
    Great creating of Kenna and Jim and their background details@wealthy :) The outfits that you have clothed them in look great , and fit with their background story and traits, with Kenna wearing an apron and Jim wearing the ripped shirts and pants. The log cabin that Jim built and that they live in now looks great! Great exterior design of it. It looks good how you have built it into the water! The way you have done the trees looks great and gives it a great forest woods feel. It looks great how you have done the upper balcony which Sims can do star gazing from using the telescope . Great back decking area to sit and relax outdoors and enjoy cooking on the bbq and eating meals in the outside air. The clothesline fits the feel of the build. Nice furnishing of the interior. Great brown and green shades of colour you used. It looks a very nice warm place to live with the colours/patterns you have used and the comfortable seating around the fireplace. The pictures on the wall look good, and it is nice how you have the pot of sunflowers in the corner of the room. The vase of flowers on the dining table and on top of the fireplace are nicce touches. The way you have done the blinds looks great and fits well the cabin feel.Nice pattern for the bed.
    Great sims and home for them!

And great work on your first contest! :) Your entry is great!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you so much rosemow! I was feeling a little hesitate to enter and I was not confident but you made me feel better!:)
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hey Wealthy! Your entry is great! Your house makes a good job of looking really rustic like a wood cabin! I like the rough interior, it really sets their social status well!
    Your household has interesting dynamics, I am left wondering what will happen next! A great entry!XD

EDIT: Bear in mind, Litabelaqua wants these houses to put into her town. Therefore she really does need them! I suggest you try uploading again or I'm not sure if she'll accept youe entry or not! Delete the file from the launcher, and then share it in-game again. Try uploading again after this!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    YellowJane wrote:
    EDIT: Bear in mind, Litabelaqua wants these houses to put into her town. Therefore she really does need them! I suggest you try uploading again or I'm not sure if she'll accept youe entry or not! Delete the file from the launcher, and then share it in-game again. Try uploading again after this!

Thank you for the compliments, I really like your entry also!:) The thing is I can't even get it onto the launcher! I can't get my lot outside of my game, it fails to share!:(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    YellowJane wrote:

Thank you for the compliments, I really like your entry also!:) The thing is I can't even get it onto the launcher! I can't get my lot outside of my game, it fails to share!:(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    GUESS WHAT! I fixed my sharing thing! CC corrupted something but uninstalled it so it is all okay! I will edit my entry post to put the link to the exchange!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hi Wealthy! Im so glad you got your entry fixed!

There is just under 12 hours now for any stragglers to get their entries in!

Im STILL trying to get the eps installed! I was hoping that they would download overnight but my PC had other ideas and shut down... can anything else possibly go wrong? Oh yes it can, the game no longer recognises that I own Hidden Springs. What fun :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We are now at 5 entries and still have 7 prizes, so if only 2 more entries come in you are guaranteed to win something!

For anyone new catching this thread, this is only open to anyone who has NOT won or been runner up in a contest before.

Last chance to get your entries in! Its now 2.15pm in the Uk and you have till midnight GMT to get those entries in, so that's about 10 or 11 hours. Plenty of time! :)

• Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited June 2013
    Wealthy: Glad to hear your problem was fixed!!

Litabelaqua: I must say I am excited to see the results!! Sorry about all your problems, it's very unlucky timing!:'(
    Will the results appear tomorrow then? I really hope so, becasue i am going on holiday on Monday.. :P And I won't be back for a week! DO you think they'll be up by tomorrow?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hi YellowJane! where are you going for your hols? Hope you have a wonderful time.

It is my intention to announce winners tomorrow, I don't like to keep people waiting when they have put so much effort themselves into the entries. I would have been announcing them today if I hadn't had this dam issue with my game :(

Anyway, Im now downloading the last 5 eps , I have 4 eps, all the sps and all the store stuff in my game and everything is running ok. So hopefully everything will be installed and raring to go by the time the contest closes tonight.

As you know, I intend to have these families in my game as a permanent feature and to watch them as they go through their lives. Although this contest ends today and the prizes are given out tomorrow, its going to be an ongoing thing for me as I play and I hope to give out occasional updates on how the families are doing. I wont be playing the families directly, but my own sim will interact with them. Its going to be a fun project, and maybe the basis for another contest further down the line.

So while im waiting for the last 5 eps, I have to make a few decisions. The sim I wanted to play has been lost due to the reinstalls. Im sad about that as I have played her since last November, but maybe its time for a change and a whole new challenge. So it might be a good thing in the end. And I have to decide what world I will play in.

I have to say its most likely to be Lucky Palms, as I love that world. But I also have to consider that IP is out next week too, and Lucky Palms might not fit well. Sunlit Tides might be a better option. Hidden Springs would have been another option, but EA have stolen that one from me for now. Im so mad about that, and Im really just tempted to buy it again but that just lets EA get away with their crap. I don't think Ive ever played a sim in Hidden Springs, but it is my favourite world for building in as I love the way the light is there.

Im quite excited about getting this set up and getting the families in the world, its going to be fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I am finally finished with both my family and their home! :) just working on getting some pictures taken :D will be uploaded to the exchange soon!