Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We Really Need Homeschooling.

KawaiidulceKawaiidulce Posts: 716 New Member
I have the Nraas Career mod that adds the ability to add custom careers to my game, plus the add on that works the same for schools. Well, my Sims usually have a kid that just doesn't like being in a school and they have them homeschooled. Granted, he or she spends about three to five Sim hours a day downloading and doing their homework a few times over so they can raise their performance meter, but that's still better than being stuck in a building all day long.

Why can't the game just come with home schooling though? How is it inappropriate for those who play the game? I don't get it. I'd rather be homeschooled so I don't have to deal with wasting my life there. Of course, it does help with my social interactions in real life, but in the game my Sims don't even make friends at school unless I select "Meet New Friends", but then they don't have good school performance. Totally bogus, I say!

And then what if they have younger siblings or nieces and nephews living at home? What if they need to care for them while the parents work, sleep and eat just so they can repeat the process tomorrow. The babysitters suck and frankly neglect children more often than not. I have teen Sims that can reach at least level 5 of a specific skill just because they didn't attend school. This is so much better for them! They get a boost in their future careers and may even find time to make friends outside of their home and in the education system. I've had one Sim, Jake McHenry, accomplish his LTW before he even aged up to an Adult simply because he was home schooled. He even dated, got honors and sold around $10,000 worth of his paintings because of this!

Homeschooling really is a necessity to our games. EA, if you're listening to me, please add this one small thing to our game. PUH-LEASE.

Comments

• Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited April 2013
    I agree.
  • Options
    shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    edited April 2013
    Yes I'd like to see this in the game too.
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited April 2013
    Same here. I sometimes play in a custom world that has not roads and the kids cannot really get to school since there is no bus. They get failing grades because of this. I downloaded the schoolhouse rabbit hole rug but I know that all the other kids in town are missing school too. Homeschooling would be great!
  • Options
    XVampireMariahxXVampireMariahx Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2013
    That sounds like a great idea.
  • Options
    alexmgleekalexmgleek Posts: 186 New Member
    edited April 2013
    This would be great!
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited April 2013
    i agree it would be great with the new ep comming out,if your family lives on a boat,i wonder if they'll be schools in new world
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited April 2013
    I also agree. I homeschooled my children for awhile. They went back to school and were ahead of there classmates.

I tried Twallan's mod for this but because I have generations the parents would scold the children for skipping school. It would make a great edition for stories..such as my medieval family I am playing. There were very few schools then that didn't have to do with the church. Children usually learned everyday things they would need to know as adults..this did not include books..heh.

This is a fantastic idea.
  • Options
    amy89008189amy89008189 Posts: 720
    edited April 2013
    gamekitten wrote:
    I also agree. I homeschooled my children for awhile. They went back to school and were ahead of there classmates.

I tried Twallan's mod for this but because I have generations the parents would scold the children for skipping school. It would make a great edition for stories..such as my medieval family I am playing. There were very few schools then that didn't have to do with the church. Children usually learned everyday things they would need to know as adults..this did not include books..heh.

This is a fantastic idea.

They scold them? I have Generations, and my homeschooled children don't get scolded...

It is a necessity for the game. I know people that are homeschooled, and they sometimes go to normal school. It is a way of life and besides, YOU DON'T GET DETENTION!
    I want to be homeschooled -_-. But I want my friends with me xD
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,304 Member
    edited April 2013
    SimGuruGraham has already confirmed that there will be no home schooling in the new ep coming out. Here is a link to the tweet to confirm it.
  • Options
    Creaky2005Creaky2005 Posts: 1,974 New Member
    edited April 2013
    It's not necessary but would be nice. My sim children can make friends at school and get A's just fine but extra options are always a bonus I guess.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited April 2013

I wouldn't mind having this myself, it would not be a game breaker to me though. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'd not want this at all, as it'd break the reality for me. Homeschooling doesn't exist in my country, so it'd just be extremely odd to me to have in my sims game. Having my sim kids do something that'd be illegal here would just.. no. =P
  • Options
    linklover1o1linklover1o1 Posts: 584
    edited April 2013
    I agree. I want homeschooling mainly because I am IRL. I want disabled people to, but I know that isn't happening. Anywho, I want homeschooling. No MODs, just EA's brand.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    I'd not want this at all, as it'd break the reality for me. Homeschooling doesn't exist in my country, so it'd just be extremely odd to me to have in my sims game. Having my sim kids do something that'd be illegal here would just.. no. =P

Really? What country do you live in :shock: I never knew it was illegal anywhere! I suppose that it makes more sense now that EA hasn't put this in earlier. Hmm. Well, thank you very much for that! Learn something new every day :)
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited April 2013
    MariskaAmy wrote:

Really? What country do you live in :shock: I never knew it was illegal anywhere! I suppose that it makes more sense now that EA hasn't put this in earlier. Hmm. Well, thank you very much for that! Learn something new every day :)

This. Why would it be illegal? Homeschooling is a very real thing here in the US. I was home schooled for a while for medical reasons back in high school.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,762 Member
    edited April 2013
    Well depends on the country and who's running it-in some places females aren't allowed to 'learn' so they are barred from schools. Or in history cases, Jewish people were barred from schools (and high paying jobs) and weren't allowed to learn but that didn't stop jewish people from having illegal home schools.

(much like those Talbian countires illegal female schools except they take place in a person's home today)

Well supposedly in Germany and in Spain, homeschooling is illegal.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    I have the Nraas Career mod that adds the ability to add custom careers to my game, plus the add on that works the same for schools. Well, my Sims usually have a kid that just doesn't like being in a school and they have them homeschooled. Granted, he or she spends about three to five Sim hours a day downloading and doing their homework a few times over so they can raise their performance meter, but that's still better than being stuck in a building all day long.

Why can't the game just come with home schooling though? How is it inappropriate for those who play the game? I don't get it. I'd rather be homeschooled so I don't have to deal with wasting my life there. Of course, it does help with my social interactions in real life, but in the game my Sims don't even make friends at school unless I select "Meet New Friends", but then they don't have good school performance. Totally bogus, I say!

And then what if they have younger siblings or nieces and nephews living at home? What if they need to care for them while the parents work, sleep and eat just so they can repeat the process tomorrow. The babysitters suck and frankly neglect children more often than not. I have teen Sims that can reach at least level 5 of a specific skill just because they didn't attend school. This is so much better for them! They get a boost in their future careers and may even find time to make friends outside of their home and in the education system. I've had one Sim, Jake McHenry, accomplish his LTW before he even aged up to an Adult simply because he was home schooled. He even dated, got honors and sold around $10,000 worth of his paintings because of this!

Homeschooling really is a necessity to our games. EA, if you're listening to me, please add this one small thing to our game. PUH-LEASE.

It has nothing to do with being inappropriate. It has to do with programming complexity and time for animations.

They don't have the time for the necessary programming or animations, and the engine wouldn't accept the programming for Sims 3 anyway.

So, that's why. That's why it will never come with Sims 3, and why it probably won't come with Sims 4, 5, 6, or 7.

You have your answer.
  • Options
    RinaStarrRinaStarr Posts: 785 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I agree but I don't know, seems like an awful lot of coding for the Gurus...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    B-but how is it an awful lot of coding when there's a mod out there for it? If one small fraction of that mod could be placed in game, how does it really change the amount of coding a game requires? They can enroll in school via computer and phone to transfer from public school to boarding school, and the exact same can work for homeschooling. It's just one minor change :XD:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    B-but how is it an awful lot of coding when there's a mod out there for it? If one small fraction of that mod could be placed in game, how does it really change the amount of coding a game requires? They can enroll in school via computer and phone to transfer from public school to boarding school, and the exact same can work for homeschooling. It's just one minor change :XD:

Because they have to code it to interact with all other aspects of the game without inciting coding conflicts while mods mostly don't.

Believe it or not, but coding a smaller program to alter the operation of a large program is actually often easier, and involving of less code, than adding the very same feature the smaller program has to the larger program. That's why programming is moving more and more towards being modular and why a lot of internet browsers are modular.
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited April 2013
    MariskaAmy wrote:

This. Why would it be illegal? Homeschooling is a very real thing here in the US. I was home schooled for a while for medical reasons back in high school.

I live in the Netherlands, children here are obligated to attend school until they are 18, and there is no such thing as homeschooling. Just because it's real in the US doesn't mean it's normal anywhere else =P There's a lot of cultural differences they have to take into account while making their game. If a child has a medical condition here, they can, depending on the school, join classes via webcam etc, but they have to attend class for at least 1040 hours a year. There was a huge thing a couple of years back about a Dutch girl living in America just so she could be homeschooled, was quite the drama here..
  • Options
    maxverra1997maxverra1997 Posts: 1,506
    edited April 2013
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    MariskaAmy wrote:

I live in the Netherlands, children here are obligated to attend school until they are 18, and there is no such thing as homeschooling. Just because it's real in the US doesn't mean it's normal anywhere else =P There's a lot of cultural differences they have to take into account while making their game. If a child has a medical condition here, they can, depending on the school, join classes via webcam etc, but they have to attend class for at least 1040 hours a year. There was a huge thing a couple of years back about a Dutch girl living in America just so she could be homeschooled, was quite the drama here..
    ooh I remeber that. I know that there are a lot of alternativer schools here for physical or mental disabled children and that you can get picked up with a bus if needed.
    edit: however I would like this as an option. if I don't have anything to do and don't feel like seeing my kids dissapear in a school than this is a great alternative
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited April 2013
    I never really thought of this whole thing as being legal or not, so after explaining to my mom and asking if it was legal, she said it wasn't. Then I looked it up and I'm guessing it isn't legal here either. Find out new things every day :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Who the flying frying pan gives a monkey's bum that it's illegal in other countries, when the game allows gay marriage when the US is still having bans against it!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Who the flying frying pan gives a monkey's bum that it's illegal in other countries, when the game allows gay marriage when the US is still having bans against it!

The ratings and electronics communication standards of those other nations. For as restrictive and conservative as the ESRB is, it's actually one of the most permissive rating groups on the planet.