Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WIP - Florida/Tropical Inspired (Updated 8/3) Looking for lots!

ÂŤ1345
Hi everyone,

I've searched and searched for the perfect Florida style world but just could not find one so I've finally got the guts to start on my own. This will be my very first time creating a custom world so if anyone has any tips or Florida styled homes/community lots to donate I would greatly appreciate it :D

Progress pictures can be found on pages 2-6, with 6 being the most recent. I will be adding updated pictures to this main post eventually. :)

Note: I am also looking for lots, details are on page 5 :D

Comments

• Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited April 2013
    It looks great so far. :thumbup: I really like the textures you've used.

If you want to make it truly tropical I would highly recommend looking into adjusting the sea and sky colours, or possibly importing the ones from Sunlit Tides. It looks technical but if you can pull it off it'd be totally worth it. ;)
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/238319.page
  • Options
    AndroidsdreamsAndroidsdreams Posts: 75
    edited April 2013
    This world is a great idea.

Please don't forget a marsh or swampy area though and some canals. as they seem to also define Florida. Your map looks great so far, your off to a great start.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Adorable10116Adorable10116 Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the tips guys! I completely forgot about adding some marshlands but now I know what to do with some of the blank areas I was stuck on :D
  • Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2013
    Your painting and sculpting is lovely, Adorable!

I bookmark'd this so I can hopefully download it when you complete it! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the tips guys! I completely forgot about adding some marshlands but now I know what to do with some of the blank areas I was stuck on :D

I think there is a way to get the sunlit tides sky and water if you want to make it look more tropical, I think the sun lit tides water and sky would be great for a Florida map.
  • Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited April 2013

Very nice sculpting and painting, I could almost imagine myself standing on the cliff there for a sec....looks like it'll be good for routing as lots is flat. :D

• Options
    Amerikajin42Amerikajin42 Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2013
    Are you basing this off of a certain part of Florida? Where I live (Tampa) there really aren't any cliffs and the water isn't as pellucid and pretty as the water from sunlit tides. But if youare doing more of Tampa like city an older part of town would be nice. Like Ybor City.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Are you basing this off of a certain part of Florida? Where I live (Tampa) there really aren't any cliffs and the water isn't as pellucid and pretty as the water from sunlit tides. But if youare doing more of Tampa like city an older part of town would be nice. Like Ybor City.

The outlining of the map is a model of the Tampa/Clearwater/St.Pete area but I noticed the further I got into sculpting the less it looked like that area (maybe because the terrain was a bit too high to start with?). Overall I decided to redo most of my terrain and make the land a bit lower since it just wasn't giving me the Tampa/Clearwater/St.Pete feel.

Also you are completely right about the water in Tampa and possibly most of Clearwater and St. Pete not being as pretty as the water in Sunlit tides so I'll most likely just use a water terrain paint when it comes the the areas that need to be lighter. I'll definitely post more pictures once I'm done with the remodeling.
  • Options
    4067567240675672 Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited April 2013
    It seems like you have a nice and concrete idea of what you're looking for your world to look like! At this stage of the construction of it, it looks really nice! I know that you'll make a great job, with landscaping and designing the city!

Good luck! :D
  • Options
    PlumbobGuy96PlumbobGuy96 Posts: 23
    edited April 2013
    If you are going to use the sunlit tides files you should dimm the sun a little,
    If you don't do that the distant terrain is going to be to light
  • Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2013
    Looking good! :thumbup:
  • Options
    Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm liking all the palm trees!
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited April 2013
    Aw, was hoping you were **** Miami! If you do decide to go in that direction as well, here's Simzcaya, my fiance's version of Villa Vizcaya. It's HUGE and densely packed but is a great interpretation of the actual site utilizing the actual original floor plans.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7179305
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Aw, was hoping you were **** Miami! If you do decide to go in that direction as well, here's Simzcaya, my fiance's version of Villa Vizcaya. It's HUGE and densely packed but is a great interpretation of the actual site utilizing the actual original floor plans.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7179305

Thank you so much for the lot! I'm not doing the exact city layout of the Tampa/Clearwater/St.Pete area, I'm just using them as inspirations for how the lots should look and the overall feel of the world (Since after all I made a replica of Clearwater's city hall and totally placed in in the "St. Pete" side of the map 8)) so I'm sure I'll find somewhere nice to place it.

Florida definitely has its own distinct look when it comes to buildings and I haven't found any tropical world that gave me that Florida feeling I was looking for which is why I decided to start my own world :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I was thinking of saving the sun and water changes for last, or at least wait until I'm done with the layout of downtown and no I haven't forgotten about the canals and swamps :D

Also I'm thinking of making a few custom rabbit holes using Jynx's rugs and was wondering if people will be willing to download the in order to play the world or should I keep it CC free?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I was thinking of saving the sun and water changes for last, or at least wait until I'm done with the layout of downtown and no I haven't forgotten about the canals and swamps :D

Awesome, all your really missing is gators and air boats,lol. :p
    And when you get around to the sun and water there are plenty of very good tutorials around. I am sure people would be more than willing to help you if you need any. :)
    Also I'm thinking of making a few custom rabbit holes using Jynx's rugs and was wondering if people will be willing to download the in order to play the world or should I keep it CC free?

While keeping it free of custom content is both practical and convenient.
    It is not worth it if it takes away from your desired result. personally I like custom rabbit holes, it can get boring seeing the same thing always. if people really like what your map is offering they will download the custom content.

Just keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Amerikajin42Amerikajin42 Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2013

I think that's totally fine with me at least. Not many of the rabbit holes really remind me of buildings in Florida so I agree with your idea. Also, some people who build worlds use Jynx's rugs. I know Nilxis is one of those people.

P.S. Is this going to be out before island paradise? If not, I would look into possibly using some palm trees from that EP.
    P.🐸🐸🐸🐸. I would also suggest using a variety of palm trees as Florida has many different kinds of palms.
  • Options
    ZoeeeeZoeeee Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    wow! this world is awesome, the terrain paint/sculpting looks great. What size residential lots will there be? I would like trying to make some florida style homes :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2013
    Fresh Prince has a Miami world - have you seen that one? It is the same Fresh Prince that makes all the cars but his is based on Need for Speed I believe.
    It is called Vice City. Even has a video of the world on his site.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/159246.page

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Zoeeee wrote:
    wow! this world is awesome, the terrain paint/sculpting looks great. What size residential lots will there be? I would like trying to make some florida style homes :)

Most of the residential lots will be common sizes you find on the exchange, so 50x50, 30x20, 40x40, 40x30, 20x20 etc. I do have one 64x64 so far but I' not sure how many more more 64x64/60x60 lots I will building since I don't really have a concrete layout and just going with the flow what looks right.

Writin_Reg wrote:
    Fresh Prince has a Miami world - have you seen that one? It is the same Fresh Prince that makes all the cars but his is based on Need for Speed I believe.
    It is called Vice City. Even has a video of the world on his site.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/159246.page

Never seen that one until now, sadly it looks like he took it down :( . Perhaps he's working on the final version?

P.S. Sorry for the lack of update pictures, still working hard on the city portion of the map and contemplating on which community lot types I should try to combine together and where I should put them.
  • Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited April 2013
    Well I can't tell you how happy I am that someone is finally making a Florida type world!! I, too have looked everywhere for one.. and yes Fresh Prince's has been down for a few months (and I found it too late also). Keep up the great work!! :D:D:D It looks fabulous!
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Keep up the good work, I am here to help if you need any.
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited April 2013
    Ooooh! I really like it! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hi everyone, just wanted to give you all a small update. I am STILL working on the downtown area. It's taking a bit of time since I had to start building on the lots in order to make sure everything flows together since downtown will be mostly clustered and have most if not all of the community lots/rabbit hole types. I will go ahead and post a few pictures later on my main post but keep in mind that it might look a bit rough.

I also want to Thank everyone that took their time to help and give me feedback. If it wasn't for any of you I most likely would have quit creating this world by now.