My favorite expansion pack in Sims 2 was the University one so I was incredibly excited when I heard about this newest expansion pack for Sims 3! I could hardly wait to get my hands on it!
I just bought the game yesterday and played for a few hours last night. I thought I’d share some of my thoughts about it.What I LOVE
1. The Open Campus
– Wow!! It was fun to watch my Sim stroll through the campus grounds with her knapsack towards class. It really has a dynamic feeling with all the students dashing back and forth to get to their classes. On the weekend my Sim rode her bike down to the beach with her friend and have a bonfire party with a bunch of jocks. I love the bowling alley, coffee shop (I love the different herbal teas and coffees) and the comic shop. The campus is absolutely beautiful in the fall with all the colorful leaves falling. I haven’t experienced winter yet, I’m looking forward to that.
2. The Classes
– The majority of classes are rabbit holes in different buildings spread out along the campus. I love the fact that some of them ARE NOT rabbit holes and that takes The Sims to a whole new level. The lecture class experience was a lot of fun. I had a totally geeky gleeful moment watching my sim raise her hand to ask a question and take her notes in class. I like how you can choose to fully attend the class or just sleep in your chair. I also love the studio classes. My sim was a Fine Art major and one class just involved painting still life paintings in the courtyard with the other artists for 2 hours. LOVE it. It’s challenging to keep up with your studies if your Sim is enrolled in a lot of classes but It’s nice that they can kick back on the weekend without worrying about the progress grade going down.
3. The SmartPhones
– I didn’t think I would care much for this new feature but it’s growing on me. I love blogging and posting pics in the blog. It’s more fun and detailed than I expected. It’s also cute watching the Sim take a selfie or a picture with her friends with the phone. I also like that you can do class work on it, stream videos and watch cat videos with your friends lol! I know there is even more than that… I’ve really only scratched the surface and I’m already impressed.
4. The Geeks, Rebels, Jocks
– At first I didn’t know what to think of this. My Sim was trying to get in with the Rebels. I thought an artistic rebel would be the way to go. Think again. A lot of these “Rebels” are really just stereotypical spoiled Hipster kids that brag about how they are so Avant Garde and Anti-establishment. I met three rebels that “HATED ART”! Really? That makes no sense when you run around “tagging” everything. At the same time, it’s pretty amusing. I live in Northern California a few miles from the EA Studios, so I totally see where they got their inspiration from. I just think “HIPSTER” would be more appropriate description than “REBEL” IMHO. My Sim found a handsome vegetarian gardener JOCK (also amusing) and now she is in with that group. You really get immersed into that whole “scene”. I’m having a lot more fun with this then I expected.
5. The Replay value
– Some of the previous expansion packs (showtime for example) Kept my interest for only a few days. This one is different. After my sim graduates as an Artistic Jock, I know I’m going to want to try creating a nerd in the science field or maybe a Rebel in the communication major… I’m definitely going to create my own dorms, bars, restaurants, and download other people’s custom university worlds. There’s a lot of potential for creativity and fun that lasts a long time. It’s one of the best expansion packs to date. The only one that has it beat is maybe World Adventures (simply due to its’ originality and content)What I DON’T LOVE:
1. The Dorms
– There are only 3 dorms and they are basically exact replicas of each other! In Sims 2 the creators put a little bit more effort and love into that. They created different style dorms. Fancy ones and more basic ones. Big ones with like 16 rooms and Small ones with 4. I realize we can make our own different style dorms ourselves, but I feel like there should be more diversity already available for us. C’mon EA/Maxis…Step it up.
2. The Lack of a Cafeteria in the Dorms
– Where are they? There used to be a cafeteria in the dormitories. I LOVED that. It was what made it more realistic to college and also made Dorms more convenient than living in an apartment with roommates. It also provided students with a place to work and make extra dough. If I’m wrong and these cafeterias do exist in the game then have not located them yet.
– A big part of what I loved about the University expansion in Sims 2 was this aspect part of the game. I made a sorority that competed with the other sorority to get the most pledges. The ranking system was so dynamic and involved. I was hoping that it would be like this in this new expansion pack and it doesn’t look like this is the case. The sorority appears to be just another house with roommates. They’re just all girls and they dare each other to do stupid things “Woo hoo with someone by the end of the night
” but I don’t see anything about pledging. I don’t even know how you join one. So far there is one sorority house in my game. There is only one girl living there and she’s never home. I don’t know what’s up with that.While we’re on that topic – Does ANYONE know how to move out of the dorms into an apartment or the sorority house? I tried everything I can't figure it out!
4. The Roommates
– This is probably just a glitch that will hopefully be fixed with a patch, but Roommates so far are really not very good at taking care of their basic needs. A lot of them smell, **** all over themselves, trash the dorms, and constantly pass out from exhaustion onto the floor. That’s why I’m trying to move my poor Sim out of the dorm in the first place! She needs a place of her own, or at least one with clean sane sims
. I hope that gets fixed soon. lol!
Despite those quips…All in all – It’s an awesome expansion! I’m really happy with it.
Those that are fans of the old Sims 2 version may also have small moments of disappointment. (For example: “Man, I really miss those secret societies!”
– yes I miss those too!) but there are a lot of new features that make up for it and the open campus is killer. We tend to view the past with rose-tinted glasses and we’re quick to forget those long loading screens in-between campus locations in Sims 2. While I watched my Sim riding her bike over the rolling hills of this beautiful campus town… I was pretty impressed.
These are my impressions just after a few hours of gameplay, so I’m looking forward to discovering some new things tonight when I play again.So what about you? What do you love about the game… what do you NOT love about the game? I’m curious to hear what other people think about it too.