Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RANDOM GIFT-GIVING :)

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    shelwassshelwass Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2011
    Sarah3120 wrote:

Do you know which of these downloads to .sims3pack format instead of .package (if any?)? I can't seem to install .package files properly in my game. :? Thanks!
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited January 2011
    Most of them, if not all. Some have both formats available.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    nazaruth wrote:
    lol yeah i heard about that, i wouldnt dl anything as lame as that anyhow and tend to download off a handful of artists and rarely sets of anything.

you don't have to download the doll to get the doll, that's the whole problem...

Any idea how the doll manages to attach itself to other CC? I always wondered about that, ever since I accidentally got it or something like it from the Exchange last year.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    Most of them, if not all. Some have both formats available.

Really? Awesome! :) Because of that, I've only been sticking to TSR and LianaSims3 lately, but I'd love to go back to some of the others again. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    shelwass wrote:
    Any idea how the doll manages to attach itself to other CC? I always wondered about that, ever since I accidentally got it or something like it from the Exchange last year.
    The young lady (at TSR) who made it was new to creating for Sims 3, like many others. She made a simple mistake that TSR overlooked. The doll went from TSR to the Exchange and from here all over the world.

One thing I think most people are overlooking is that everybody has to learn to do something for the first time. Hey, when I first learned to tie my shoes I wasn't very good at it, right? Everyone creating for the Sims 3 has to learn. They are going to make some mistakes. They are going to categorize something wrong so a lovely piece of clothing gets categorized incorrectly and now your babies or toddlers are deformed. Remove the piece of miscategorized clothing -- problem is solved. These people are learning and the ones who have made some mistakes in the process are not repeating those same mistakes but they are getting better all the time with what they can create.

EA has handed off to us all kinds of things that have been made incorrectly also. They aren't even bothering to fix more than half of their stuff. At least the CC creators are out there fixing theirs.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    shelwass wrote:
    The young lady (at TSR) who made it was new to creating for Sims 3, like many others. She made a simple mistake that TSR overlooked. The doll went from TSR to the Exchange and from here all over the world.

One thing I think most people are overlooking is that everybody has to learn to do something for the first time. Hey, when I first learned to tie my shoes I wasn't very good at it, right? Everyone creating for the Sims 3 has to learn. They are going to make some mistakes. They are going to categorize something wrong so a lovely piece of clothing gets categorized incorrectly and now your babies or toddlers are deformed. Remove the piece of miscategorized clothing -- problem is solved. These people are learning and the ones who have made some mistakes in the process are not repeating those same mistakes but they are getting better all the time with what they can create.

EA has handed off to us all kinds of things that have been made incorrectly also. They aren't even bothering to fix more than half of their stuff. At least the CC creators are out there fixing theirs.

Ohhhh, that makes total sense. I will say, hearing about it definitely made me avoid trying to see what would happen if I recategorized adultwear as something else. ;)

And honestly, so long as it wasn't someone maliciously trying to sabotage people's games, I can understand and sympathize. I feel a bit bad for whoever created it; I'm sure she wasn't happy to hear she'd accidentally caused so much chaos.

Plus, I always figure, you get what you pay for (or you should :)). Non-professional CC use is a risk; I happen to take it because I like what it adds to my game, but I know it could screw things up. Stuff we buy from EA--the professionals--shouldn't have the same risks attached.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shelwass, yes, I felt very sorry for her and she was made to carry all the blame for a minor mistake that TSR overlooked when she uploaded what she thought was a cute little doll, cloned after an EA toy. It was most embarrassing for her, to be sure. Everyone was blaming her and it wasn't completely her fault.

What ended up happening, however, in the midst of all the false alarm, "FIRE! FIRE!" was that several modders took the doll and installed it into their games (I did the same), intentionally, to test the object and it was proven that none of them (and I also) could isolate any instance where the doll damaged anything in the game. Some other problem content could wreak havoc, but it was never proven that the doll did anything detrimental whatsoever.

The doll simply attached itself to uploaded lots or Sims. It was kind of like a dirty tissue dropped on the floor of your living room. It's not doing any HARM whatsoever but you just don't want it there.

No one is perfect and we are all learning. For me, it's no big deal to pick up the dirty tissue and toss it. Unfortunately, since our launcher is so poorly designed, it takes forever to find the dirty tissues.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    Shelwass, yes, I felt very sorry for her and she was made to carry all the blame for a minor mistake that TSR overlooked when she uploaded what she thought was a cute little doll, cloned after an EA toy. It was most embarrassing for her, to be sure. Everyone was blaming her and it wasn't completely her fault.

What ended up happening, however, in the midst of all the false alarm, "FIRE! FIRE!" was that several modders took the doll and installed it into their games (I did the same), intentionally, to test the object and it was proven that none of them (and I also) could isolate any instance where the doll damaged anything in the game. Some other problem content could wreak havoc, but it was never proven that the doll did anything detrimental whatsoever.

The doll simply attached itself to uploaded lots or Sims. It was kind of like a dirty tissue dropped on the floor of your living room. It's not doing any HARM whatsoever but you just don't want it there.

No one is perfect and we are all learning. For me, it's no big deal to pick up the dirty tissue and toss it. Unfortunately, since our launcher is so poorly designed, it takes forever to find the dirty tissues.

That's such a shame. :( It's not life and death--everyone should be allowed to make some mistakes without getting raked over the coals for them.

And I have to agree with you on the Launcher--I have such a hard time finding the installed items to weed out the ones that aren't working. :? I don't think they stay in any kind of order, which is pretty frustrating.
  • Options
    TinkerballTinkerball Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited January 2011
    I love the look of most CC out there, but since I was not savvy enough to check what I was downloading (and I was only downloading from the exchange, not other sites), I ended up with monster babies and naked citizens, lol. So, I decided not to bother, because it was a pain trying to get rid of the bad stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tinkerball -- You couldn't download content from a worse place than the Exchange... unfortunately.
  • Options
    TinkerballTinkerball Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited January 2011
    Yes, I realized this too late, lol. So, then I stopped downloading from the exchange at all. Recently, though, I downloaded something from someone (I don't want to point fingers because I am unsure of the actual problem) that was supposed to be CC free. Needless to say it caused my game to lag. I have the worst luck, obviously. So, all my stuff has EA written all over it. Which of course has its financial downfalls. :?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can relate. I uploaded my avatar Sim for myself only, to be my avatar. Later, some nice peeps downloaded her to find some hitchhiking Ugg boots. I was wearing custom lipstick -- OMG! The horror. I wasn't wearing the Ugg boots (and too bad because they're really cute) but they were another one of those friendly attachments that just arrive and do no harm, but they are there.

So, eventually I uploaded another Sim I thought was clean only to discover some other thing went with her.

Life is too short for this. I don't have time to police everything so I just have totally stopped participating in anything that requires an upload of any lot or Sim. I just feel bad because I wanted to play and now I'm excluded. Oh well! Life is too short to worry about that, too. :?
  • Options
    Erica152Erica152 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited January 2011
    http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Erica152

Can someone please gift me the new children's nightgowns? Thanks!
  • Options
    samthewham1samthewham1 Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    nazaruth wrote:
    ok gomar6 i just gifted you something i think lol
    Hi could you look at my wishlist thx
  • Options
    legosim12legosim12 Posts: 542 Member
    edited January 2013
    Try Anubis Under The Sum I absolutely Recommend it, everything is free and Super Cute!!

Edit: O wait... I guess this thread just got back from the dead!! :?
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2013
    um, I love TSR, the people there are awesome and seriously nice. :-) I bought a subscription there intending only to clean out the subscriber-only section but decided to keep renewing, just because.

[edit]which is not to say that other places don't have nice folks and hey I do appreciate and download from those places, but... it's seriously convenient being able to have easy access to so much high-quality stuff. Lunamai is ULTRA FABULOUS, btw. :mrgreen:

oh one more thing. I used to like mts, but come to find out, they're serious jerkwads and dominating control freaks. They can't stand it when someone holds a different opinion from their own. so I wrote them off. Maybe they should think about being nicer.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    lol don't get me started on mts. The first thing I noticed was how massively sexist they are. They banned me temporarily for complaining, insisting that complaining about sexism was "rude". And then when I deconstructed the mod's massive sexism for him, he got all mad. poor poor thing.

If you like sexist twits and bimbos who make excuses for sexist twits, mts is the place to be.
  • Options
    KarrterrKarrterr Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2013
    Hey hun what does TSR stand for? I don't use CC so I am not familiar with this but it sounds interesting from all the posts.
  • Options
    Jillyson_Twozaks_1Jillyson_Twozaks_1 Posts: 3,334 New Member
    edited January 2013
    TSR is The Sims Resource (A pay site - you have to buy a membership from them to download most items). I bought membership there for both Sims 1 and 2, but things have changed there big time. Since Sims 3 and their exclusive creator's programing that EA provided them, I've gotten plenty of buggy items from them, plus I find the site runners to be quite underhanded. Many creators have removed their items from that site due to them, and they retailiate by sending fake "Pirating" complaints to sites like Mediafire so the creator who left can't upload anything. TSR has nothing that I can't find elsewhere, bug-free,cost-free, and Bully-free.

I use Anubis360 often - the items are always clean and beautiful. I also use Garden of Shadows/Club Crimson, as well as MTS.(ModTheSims3) Plus, these are all free. If you use the magnificent program Custard by Delphy (MTS), you can scan every cc item you download before putting it in your game - whether it be from the EX or a cc site.

As for forums, I come here for that, as well as a writer's forum that I belong to, so I can't speak to that aspect, but as far as downloading cc, I wouldn't go near TSR with someone else's ten foot pole.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Right now I have five or six times the amount of stuff that I used to, and my game runs better than it ever did. I really do think it was eliminating package files which did it.

But the whole cat-fighting thing over which site is allowed to be perceived as "best", is seriously immature and from my perspective, completely ignores the types of harm. There will always be individuals who behave in a manner which someone else considers inappropriate (whether they are or not, is up for debate) and so with groups like mts and tsr which have such large memberships, there'll always be people having a bad day etc. But the jerkiness of mts is frequently sexist in nature, and therefore indefensible. And once I stopped using package files for good, there was no reason for me to go back.

Other people can love the site and that's okay for them to have that opinion. The thing I've noticed though, is that they can't stand for anybody not to agree with them on everything. Very control freaky. And I don't find that attitude at all, at tsr.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    gonz10gonz10 Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2013
    I'm so afraid mods and cc will mess up my game. Then, there's the thing where you have to remove it all between patches. :( I might try some things after all the expansions are released.

If they don't give you any trouble. More power to you. :)

http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=gonz10#
  • Options
    poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2013
    nazaruth wrote:
    Listen up, I am a huge Sims 3 fan and used to occasionally download items off this site but have now found a new home at TSR, I find the site far easier to navigate and the subscription service very reasonable so therefore I am willing to give my simpoints to anyone who can give me a step by step lesson on how to send them to another member lol. I have 1350 to give away. 8)

I just wanted to tell you I have been with TSR for many many years. I use to download the first sims stuff from them. I have never and I mean never had any trouble from them. Peopel always want to dog them because they think we sould get free cc from all web sites. I like modthesims also, but they don't have near the same stuff tsr dose. I just had to put my words into the subjects.
    Origin ID poisonivy15
  • Options
    Jillyson_Twozaks_1Jillyson_Twozaks_1 Posts: 3,334 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Lol! Thank you, Sticky - you didn't have to do that!

I know some people have a great experience at TSR, and I'm happy for them. My personal overall experience was (obviously) a bad one, so I never went back. There's people I have great respect for that still post their creations there. I just personally don't feel I can recommend it.

Again - forum-wise, I don't use any other forum but this and my writer's forum at RebelWritersNirvana, so the MTS forum might be filled with jerks for all I know. I just download cool stuff and hit the "Thank You" button. I didn't realize they even had a forum until recently! Lol! I'm sorry you had a bad time there, Sticky. You just have to hang here with us cool people! :D
  • Options
    menemene Posts: 2,322 Member
    edited January 2013
    nazaruth wrote:
    ok gomar6 i just gifted you something i think lol
    Hi could you look at my wishlist thx

vs1kdd_zps6b8551f9.jpg

2 years late there dear