Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Sims losing popularity ?

Back during the sims 1 and 2 it was quite popular now that im playing the sims 3 im like the only one in my town that knows about it not even the gamestop people know what it is :(

Comments

• Options
    hollynoelhollynoel Posts: 2,242 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure because nobody in my town plays Sims except for three of my friends. Maybe it's gaining popularity because 2/3 of my friends who play The Sims just started playing it.
  • Options
    sims2girl1997sims2girl1997 Posts: 43
    edited December 2012
    I feel like a lot of people lost hope for The Sims ever since Will Wright left the series behind. He didn't help make The Sims 3, so the inspiration definitely isn't there. :o
  • Options
    Gothlove24Gothlove24 Posts: 244 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I feel like a lot of people lost hope for The Sims ever since Will Wright left the series behind. He didn't help make The Sims 3, so the inspiration definitely isn't there. :o
    I can agree i bet some people who liked the sims 1 doesn't even know what the sims is anymore
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited December 2012
    When I go to the PC shelf at Gamestop, Best Buy, or Target, The Sims 3 and its expansions pretty much decorate the entire shelf (all facing forward), with a tiny section next to it for everything else (all facing sideways). I don't think The Sims has lost much popularity if any, although gaming journalists aren't as amazed by it as they were in the beginning. I'd almost say PC gaming itself is what's losing popularity, but it's actually thriving again thanks to things like Steam and other methods of distribution.

A friend of mine is taking a college class where The Sims and digital life simulation are a huge part of the curriculum. An anecdote of his: when the professor asked who was familiar with the Sims franchise, almost everyone raised their hand. Then, the professor asked who has tried to kill their Sims, and all of the same people raised their hand.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited December 2012
    The sims seems to be popular in cities. Everyone in my hometown that I talked to knew what it was, whether they liked it or not. I can't say they all have TS3, but they at least know it exists. I feel more people of my age-group were more partial to TS1. (I'm in the 18-24 bracket -- to solidify my argument)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2012
    The Sims is a niche market. It only appeals to a certain demographic. A lot of people try it, find it's not their cup of tea and either abandon it or give it to someone else.

I don't think it's losing popularity, per se, but it's not nearly as popular as the straight shooter games. I think that's because a lot of people prefer violent games to non-violent games.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited December 2012
    Well, considering that every one of my Classmates and Friends knows what it is and that when I want to get a new EP and SP it's usually sold out, I'd say No.

Seriously, on the release day of SN I went to the shop and it was all gone! :'[ I hate to wait a WEEK! Same with Seasons, but I could wait for that. I think I should start reserving...

The Sims is one of the most famous Gaming Franchise in the world, probably as big as GTA and COD ( Well, maybe not COD! I hate that Game -_- ). As Jarsie said people try it and end up not liking it, so the Game is very popular, but only a minority of people play it!

:]
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    andyb9274andyb9274 Posts: 307 Member
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that the Sims was gaining popularity until TS3. TS1 had 16 million sales, TS2 had 20 million sales, but TS3 had only 10 million sales, and I've noticed that less people are playing it by the day. :(
    Hopefully, now that Maxis is back at the wheel, the sims will gain popularity again. Or maybe they'll just pull a Spore on us and not give us anything after a year or so. But, that's me just being pessimistic.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think a factor is money, people just don't have as much free money these days (in general), computer games are expencive and when it comes to a choice between a computer game or clothes for your children... :?
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think a factor is money, people just don't have as much free money these days (in general), computer games are expencive and when it comes to a choice between a computer game or clothes for your children... :?

Good thing I have no children; they would be clothed in rags.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited December 2012
    I don't think so. In some areas the Sims 3 Seasons outsold Black Ops 2 (PC) when it was released. The fact that a Sims 3 expansion can still hit the number one PC spot 3 years after the base game was released says something.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a439201/the-sims-3-seasons-charts-above-black-ops-2.html

In my area it doesn't seem to be such a huge thing at specialty game stores like Gamestop, (but then again those places seem driven by console gaming), however if you go into Wal-Mart or Target they have a bigger selection of sims games than almost any other PC game, and the more popular expansions like Pets and Seasons are often sold out.

I also think that for some reason a lot of people who play it don't chat about it in real life as much as people who play other games. Maybe it's because it's such a personal game, I don't know.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2012
    andyb9274 wrote:
    Yeah, I noticed that the Sims was gaining popularity until TS3. TS1 had 16 million sales, TS2 had 20 million sales, but TS3 had only 10 million sales, and I've noticed that less people are playing it by the day. :(
    Hopefully, now that Maxis is back at the wheel, the sims will gain popularity again. Or maybe they'll just pull a Spore on us and not give us anything after a year or so. But, that's me just being pessimistic.

The problem with sales numbers is they are mostly compiled independently and thus not true. Vgchartz is one source people like to throw around but their numbers don't include digital sales. ..which makes them irrelevant in today's market. Last I checked they also do not include Walmart.

The only numbers that matter are the ones EA has which they rarely share. All we do know is TS3 sold 3 expansions in 2011, which implies sales are doing pretty well in the franchise.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think it depends on the demographics of where you live. Just like dolls back in my day, only certain dolls were sold in certain parts of the country.

In our area, we never saw such dolls as the more expensive dolls by Ideal like Miss Revlon. (Sold at Sears)...yes, this is telling my age.. :lol:

Where as we saw the more inexpensive but well made 'baby' dolls in all the stores, by other companies that competed with Ideal Doll Co.

And when Sears did offer those more expensive dolls they were very exclusive in this area, and therefore a rare find to still be found in good condition and stored away. Some dolls (even Toni dolls by Ideal) did make it to our part of the country, but not all of whatever a company had to offer.

O.k. sorry for the long history (toys) but I think video games work the same way.

When I visit Target, yes, they do have lots of Sims' games, however, they are always, always cheaper than I see them on Origin, or online, and most of the time, due to the area, not tens of boxes of them but maybe 3 to 5 of each EP etc.

If a store puts a game on sale after a short period of time, I do believe that means the game isn't moving as well as they had hoped and they do retain the right to reduce the price to get it moving off the shelf, even when EA also offers a cheaper deal.

I mean I was shocked to see Target had Seasons Limited Edition for $20.00 less than original price, and less than a month after it's release.

Btw, no, no one my age group plays Sims, but only a few of my nieces and nephews do..and to be honest they like TS2 better and didn't make the whole move on to TS3 transition. The males like the console games...
    my son would never play Sims...ever, it's not his cup of tea.

ETA: Our Best Buy doesn't even carry PC games anymore, when they first opened around here (closer to home) instead of a another near by city, I got up early to get my copy of TS3 on the day of release or at BB...

They only had less than ten, and after that, they no longer offer PC games...it's all console games over there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    livingforwardslivingforwards Posts: 144 Member
    edited December 2012
    First post here: I had Sims 1 and all expansion packs. My kids and I played it all the time. Bought Sims 2 and never got a chance to learn it because life got busy. Yesterday I bought Sims 3 and some expansion packs on Steam, then my fiance bought his own Sims 3 and one expansion pack so he could understand the game better (he usually plays WoW).

My adult daughter wants to play it again. My son moved on to Minecraft, Assassin's Creed etc as he got older. Sims wouldn't appeal to him now.
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited December 2012
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    The Sims is a niche market. It only appeals to a certain demographic. A lot of people try it, find it's not their cup of tea and either abandon it or give it to someone else.

I don't think it's losing popularity, per se, but it's not nearly as popular as the straight shooter games. I think that's because a lot of people prefer violent games to non-violent games.

This.
    I mean, most people are into those Madden games and battle craziness. I myself am an RPG nut and I get all sorts of jokes and comments when I go to Gamestop and load up my cart full of fantasy role playing adventure games, like I'm the wierdo for liking a more playful game than something uber-bloody and gory.

But I do think TS3 is popular. I saw an Esurance commercial where they guy was ticking off different terms for money and he actually said Simoleons. :shock: And I was on the FDR driving through Manhattan once and I saw a big billboard on one of the buildings for The Sims. I have never seen any references for Final Fantasy. :lol:
  • Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited December 2012
    This.

These days, it's not just Sims, it's all games. Even Guild Wars 2 is struggling to gain the popularity Guild Wars had.

WoW is not at its peak anymore, it's slowly decaying. People are saving money, and sure, Sims isn't exactly a cheap game. 60+40 per ep... an expensive habbit.

I do, however, think that it's not at it's peak anymore. No wonder. You can't expect everybody to play it all the time. People grow over it, new generations come, some go :)
  • Options
    SassysayssoSassysaysso Posts: 48 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I love playing the Sims. I don't love that it crashes constantly. I think plenty of people enjoy this game in all age ranges. I discovered the other day the money I have spent on Sim Points, OMG. I really love this game and I don't mind spending money to enjoy it. I don't have Supernatural nor do I want it. Sims is my happy place. This discussion made me chuckle. Choose clothes for your kids or expansion packs! lol :)
  • Options
    cllevettcllevett Posts: 930 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think the game has taken a huge down hill in game play since 1 & 2.

Sure graphics are better but all the micro transactions & same o'l expansions over and over is boring. Think the Sims is mostly loved now by the players who are just dedicated Simmers.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2012
    Gothlove24 wrote:
    I can agree i bet some people who liked the sims 1 doesn't even know what the sims is anymore

Hold up...wait a minute!

I've been playing since 2000, TS/TS2/TS3 and eventually when TS4 comes I'll still most likely be on board.

TS is still TS to me and guess what...It Keeps Getting Better! :mrgreen:

Between TS series and RE series, I feel I'm going to be a long time fan if not forever. 8)
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited December 2012
    murfeel wrote:
    Jarsie9 wrote:

This.
    I mean, most people are into those Madden games and battle craziness. I myself am an RPG nut and I get all sorts of jokes and comments when I go to Gamestop and load up my cart full of fantasy role playing adventure games, like I'm the wierdo for liking a more playful game than something uber-bloody and gory.

But I do think TS3 is popular. I saw an Esurance commercial where they guy was ticking off different terms for money and he actually said Simoleons. :shock: And I was on the FDR driving through Manhattan once and I saw a big billboard on one of the buildings for The Sims. I have never seen any references for Final Fantasy. :lol:

These.^^

I see references all the time about Sims in tv shows, on the net, they had a whole thing about it on the Science channel, on Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Playing the Sims is one of those dirty little secrets...no one ever wants to admit they play it...but they will say they have seen it. I think it is because the Sims is out of the "norm" for the brainless shooters and mind-numbing sports games. You actually have to have some semblance of intelligence and creativity to play it. Nowadays everything moves so fast that all the fun is putting into "jumping in, killing as many as possible, and getting out" the Sims are one of the few games you actually have to think at to play. My opinion. :)
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Faith12368 wrote:
    murfeel wrote:
    Jarsie9 wrote:

This.

These.^^

I see references all the time about Sims in tv shows, on the net, they had a whole thing about it on the Science channel, on Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Playing the Sims is one of those dirty little secrets...no one ever wants to admit they play it...but they will say they have seen it. I think it is because the Sims is out of the "norm" for the brainless shooters and mind-numbing sports games. You actually have to have some semblance of intelligence and creativity to play it. Nowadays everything moves so fast that all the fun is putting into "jumping in, killing as many as possible, and getting out" the Sims are one of the few games you actually have to think at to play. My opinion. :)

*high fives!* :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Slightly off topic: Speaking of Through the Wormhole I saw this video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZGDOK9sYo and I also saw Men in Black with Will Smith, and I DO sometimes suspect that we might be little game pieces tucked away in some entity's back locker that they play with from time to time--very Truman Show! :lol:
  • Options
    swamppersonswampperson Posts: 398 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I think it has gained MORE popularity with the younger generations. Many people who played the original sims are now taking care of REAL babies and may not have the time. Many of my friends play sims or at least know what it is...I think a new generation of simmers is rising! There are many people who don't want to play violent games, and sims is the outlet for them!
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2012
    Stormkeep wrote:

Good thing I have no children; they would be clothed in rags.

:lol:

• Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited December 2012
    I suppose this thread has a point :( when I talked to my friend about TS3, he barely even knew what it was and thought it was a game where you build the environment and sit back and watch your sims do stuff, rather than a game where you control the sims by hand. He even tried to convert me to SimCity, even though it wasn't the concept I wanted to play.