Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,879 Member
Players in Russia will not be able to purchase My Wedding Stories.

OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
A Letter To Our Players from The Sims Team

Celebrating Love, Your Way

Over the years, you’ve delighted us with the ways your Sims have found love and celebrated that love through weddings in our base game. You’ve also shared with us your eagerness to walk down the aisle, have your Sims take their seats and shed a tear of joy as you made a lifelong commitment.

When we set out to create “My Wedding Stories” this was the vision we had for our global community: the joy of finding love, celebrating that love and telling stories that have meaning on a personal level.

Imagining the stories our players will tell with our packs is at the heart of everything we create. For “My Wedding Stories,” we were excited to introduce you to Dom and Cam. Their love story reflects the lived experiences of so many members of our community and team.

As we moved through our development and brand storytelling process, we became aware that the way we wanted to tell Cam and Dom’s story would not be something we could freely share around the world.

A Commitment to Our Values

The ability to tell stories - any story - is at the core of what we do at The Sims. Holding back Cam and Dom’s story meant compromising the values we live by. We are committed to the freedom to be who you are, to love who you love and tell the stories you want to tell.

So what does that mean for you, our players? We are steadfast in upholding that commitment by shining a light on and celebrating stories like Dom and Cam’s, so we have made the decision to forgo the release of “My Wedding Stories” where our storytelling would be subject to changes because of federal laws.

Regrettably, this means that members of The Sims community in Russia will not be able to purchase this game pack.

To our Simmers around the world, we are grateful to have you in our universe.

With love and gratitude,

The Sims Team

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/our-commitment-to-you
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I was waiting for someone to post this. I hope Russian simmers can find another way to get their hands on this pack.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2022
    deleted
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    They might get thier hands on it, but I don't know if it'll even be translated into Russian.

There was no description or logo for that language in the asset pack.
  • Options
    LaruhellLaruhell Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2022
    Serious props for ea for still going through with adding a wlw couple on their gamepack cover and have the trailer revolved around said couple, even if it meant they wouldnt be able to sell the pack in russia due to that countrys incredibly h*mophobic laws. Heres a sad reminder for us that we've still got a long way ahead of us before lgbtq rights are fully established around the world. It is seriously disturbing that a gamepack that just has a cover picture of a gay couple is seen as criminal still in the year 2022.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Well... that happened.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited February 2022
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They might get thier hands on it, but I don't know if it'll even be translated into Russian.

There was no description or logo for that language in the asset pack.

I hope it will. There are some Russian-speaking players in Belarus and Ukraine, for example, and neither Belarusian nor Ukrainian is an option, so they have to play in Russian (when you buy the Sims 4 through Origin in Eastern Europe, you get a regional version with only Russian, Polish or Czech available). So it will be completely unfair to punish them for no reason.

Edit: actually not sure how it will work for Ukrainian players, it looks messed up
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    They should protest and make a stand by releasing it for free in Russia.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited February 2022
    Well, if I weren't already going to buy the pack, this would be reason enough to do it: because I couldn't buy it in Russia.
    Post edited by invisiblgirl on
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Wouldn't a different Wedding Story from the original for the Russian players help them get the pack?
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    It's sad that the Russian community isn't going to be able to get the game pack. Everyone should be able to play The Sims 4, no matter where they live, but alas, the freedom to game and to express who you are is limited in some countries.

One day, that will change.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Wouldn't a different Wedding Story from the original for the Russian players help them get the pack?

Yes I wonder this too.
    A simple cover change is all that is needed. Unless this pack plays like Strangerville with a set story to follow and isn't entirely up to the player? Surely whoever plays it can play in their own style.
    Was Cats and Dogs available in Russia (thinking of the Hecking family)
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited February 2022
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Yes I wonder this too.
    A simple cover change is all that is needed. Unless this pack plays like Strangerville with a set story to follow and isn't entirely up to the player? Surely whoever plays it can play in their own style.
    Was Cats and Dogs available in Russia (thinking of the Hecking family)

Yes, Cats and Dogs and any other content (pride flags, skirts for men, etc.) is available. It seems like the issue is not the content (the game is already 18+), but marketing. The trailer is not labeled 18+ and it has a happy lesbian couple, so technically it is against the "propaganda law". Maybe that's the issue, and the Sims team decided not to change the trailer, because why should they.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2022
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    that's how I see it too. They could have easily worked around this instead it's the players will lose out.

Yeah, but they decided to take a stand instead. They didn't want to censor their story, which is admirable...

But it's sad that it's the russian simmers that will have to pay for that story.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2022
    I'm kinda confused
    but then again i guess they couldn't dodge russia bans forever and i guess rather than cutting content from everyone cutting it from russia makes more sense

well I've never been more happy Finland ain't part of russia whew. thank you history people that made me having couple dancing in sims 4 possibility :lol:

then again i still wonder if they couldn't make like russia edition? maybe not :/
    just sounds so sad for the russian simmers
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's sad that Russian laws are making this an issue. :(
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm kinda confused
    but then again i guess they couldn't dodge russia bans forever and i guess rather than cutting content from everyone cutting it from russia makes more sense

well I've never been more happy Finland ain't part of russia whew. thank you history people that made me having couple dancing in sims 4 possibility :lol:

then again i still wonder if they couldn't make like russia edition? maybe not :/
    just sounds so sad for the russian simmers

They could have made a trailer just for Russia. Wonder how the marketing is in middle east and Asian countries.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited February 2022
    Aine wrote: »
    So EA is throwing millions of fans under the bus just to look good. Got it.

No, just to no resign against bad laws
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Is unlogical EA move
    At Russia The Sims 4 is +18 then is allowed same sex couples
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited February 2022
    Personally, I think they should have just changed the box for the Russian players, and not put out a Russian trailer. It’s sad that so many Russians will miss out on this pack, especially those of the LGBT+ community. The sims won’t put religion in the game because it is too political or controversial, and although I really wish they would ( and be inclusive of all religions, symbolically and culturally ), I understand why they don’t. But, I am really sad for those people in Russia who will miss out on all the new things this pack adds to the game such as slow dancing, because their countries political policies are so far behind the times. But in the end it is EA’s decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top