Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are your butlers??

Do you find that butlers work ok?
Does anybody else have 2?

My family hired a butler, went out and came home to a different one. I tried to fire and rehire them and the old one came back. But since then the 2 of them have been operating on a timeshare basis and they seem to swap every so often!
I mean its not a problem, they are both really good at their jobs and seem to be happy to share the same double bed with each assigned a side! I suppose it makes sense if its a 24/7 job that they get some time off in the week! LOL

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,911 Member
    In my game the Fengs had two as well, depending on the day, but one was wonderful and one was terrible. I didn't figure out a good solution.

Then I rotated away to play other households for a few weeks and came back to a huge butler bill. So Victor simply invited the good butler to join the household. Everyone is happy so far.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I almost always end up with 2 different ones sharing the job if I rotate between households.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,611 Member
    dogzdinner wrote: »

My family hired a butler, went out and came home to a different one. I tried to fire and rehire them and the old one came back. But since then the 2 of them have been operating on a timeshare basis and they seem to swap every so often!
    I mean its not a problem, they are both really good at their jobs and seem to be happy to share the same double bed with each assigned a side! I suppose it makes sense if its a 24/7 job that they get some time off in the week! LOL

It took me just a bit of time to figure out just what was going on with the butler(s). I would sometimes find my Sim's employee hanging out around town, while some other butler buttled in his place. Then it dawned on me when the original butler returned, that he was having a day off. And, of course, the Agency wouldn't leave their client in the lurch. I liked the first butler way better than the second one. He was better with the children. Little Cadence the youngest in the family and still a Toddler, was able to discern the second butler, a female, was evil. Not the type to be around innocent children. :open_mouth: I never had two living in the house at a time. They would trade off with the first one having several days in a week on, and the second one coming in to fill in until the original one returned. But it was quite strange until it dawned on me what was going on. LOL Sometimes, I do wonder about myself …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    sophiesmithsimmersophiesmithsimmer Posts: 24 Member
    I'm playing with a fancy family right now and they have a butler. I do not like the butler though, they don't vacuum and it's hard to ask them to make a specific meal. My butler also has the Erratic trait. Also, my butler moonlights as a performer at the flea market :lol: so that was funny! Also, the mom Sim in my save has the Neat trait so she autonomously cleans all the time... maybe we don't need a butler after all!
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    dogzdinner wrote: »

It took me just a bit of time to figure out just what was going on with the butler(s). I would sometimes find my Sim's employee hanging out around town, while some other butler buttled in his place. Then it dawned on me when the original butler returned, that he was having a day off. And, of course, the Agency wouldn't leave their client in the lurch. I liked the first butler way better than the second one. He was better with the children. Little Cadence the youngest in the family and still a Toddler, was able to discern the second butler, a female, was evil. Not the type to be around innocent children. :open_mouth: I never had two living in the house at a time. They would trade off with the first one having several days in a week on, and the second one coming in to fill in until the original one returned. But it was quite strange until it dawned on me what was going on. LOL Sometimes, I do wonder about myself …
    I had no idea that ‘buttle” was the verb for what a butler does. That’s fantastic! Thank you for teaching me a new word today.

Yes, I’ve had butlers change after traveling off the lot and returning. Once, I realized the current butler was sleeping on a loveseat because both sides of her bed were assigned to different butlers. It can be exhausting to keep up with. Surely it’s a bug.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Tried it once with a noble family living in Willow Creek, but it didn't work out.

First of all, the game kept giving me female butlers even though I wanted an English gentleman for the lady of the house to get over her deceased husband with. I don't know how I finally got my male butler in the end, perhaps by cas.fulleditmoding the latest female one, but when I returned after leaving the family alone for a while, he had been replaced by a new butler, just like all the other service NPCs tend to get replaced after a while. No point in starting relationships of any kind with them, is there?

There was also always an overabundance of food in the house when the butler was there, I couldn't figure out how to stop him from cooking even more, and at some point, he vanished entirely. The End.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,611 Member
    @babajayne First time I heard that word used, I was equablly gobsmacked. But it makes sense. "What does a Butler do? They buttle, sir."

but·​tle | \ ˈbətᵊl, -ətᵊl \
    buttled; buttled; buttling\ -​ətᵊliŋ , -​ət(ᵊ)liŋ \; buttles
    Definition of buttle
    substandard
    : to serve or act as butler
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited November 2021
    I had to change their life span from immortal so they could die. It was the suggested way to get them vacuuming automatically. They now vacuum dust but they don't kill the dust bunnies if they have already formed. I think this will be corrected in an upcoming patch.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Butlers drive me nuts because they're always either evil, kleptomaniacs, erratic, or some combination of unsavory traits. I need to learn more about how to dismiss or fire one and then rehire the service in hopes of getting a better one, without getting that same one all over again. From others' descriptions, I'm glad I never got Bust the Dust!
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I must have gotten lucky with my butlers. The Goths' butler does what he's supposed to. However, he is a little slow on serving food.

My Landgraabs' butler is just as good. She's currently having an affair with Geoffrey though. No worries, Nancy's having an affair with J Huntington.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    There was also always an overabundance of food in the house when the butler was there, I couldn't figure out how to stop him from cooking even more,

Thats probably the only thing that annoys me TBH. My sim parent has the FreshChef trait and keeps the fridge fully stocked with meals for the kids and yet the butler is always cooking anyways (although TBF its not as annoying as visitors coming round and constantly baking white cakes...those things get everywhere!LOL).
    I find butlers brilliant for keeping on top of large gardens too, really saves my sims some time.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't use them really. I may eventually a little later on in the legacy, but the sim I'm playing now wouldn't be the type to have one. He's too into his conservation work and living simply.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    The last used the bulter caught her playing the video game mat while my sim was asleep and the baby needed of a change then she tired to flirt my sims husband his wife wasn't to please about it pretty much kick her sorry bun out the door.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    Shamae03Shamae03 Posts: 29 Member
    You should always have a way of checking your butler's traits. I had a kleptomaniac butler who stole my celebrity Sim's Star Accolades trophy. 😡
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I find I cannot use a butler in any lot with babies. They tend to ignore their duties in favor of constantly queuing up interactions with the infants (often to the detriment of the parents ACTUALLY taking care of the child's needs to the point in one family of actually losing the infant to child services for neglect.) I fire the butlers when the fam is in infant rearing stage because its a frustration and an annoyance I cannot abide :hushed:
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I find I cannot use a butler in any lot with babies. They tend to ignore their duties in favor of constantly queuing up interactions with the infants (often to the detriment of the parents ACTUALLY taking care of the child's needs to the point in one family of actually losing the infant to child services for neglect.) I fire the butlers when the fam is in infant rearing stage because its a frustration and an annoyance I cannot abide :hushed:
    This is so annoying. Visitors do this, too. Wish we could shoo them away! I’ve dealt with it by just locking the door where the baby is for everyone but the parents.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I find them too annoying. I used them, but ultimately I'm not a fan. My sims just do things themselves.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,911 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish @dogzdinner @duhboy2u2 one of the options on the Butler... menu (when you click on the butler) allows you to specify which duties they should and should not do. You can ask them to start or stop cooking, repairing objects, cleaning, or caring for minors. If you ask them to stop cooking, you can still ask them to cook a single meal on demand.

• Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    I had some trouble with the butlers before, but the last one was good in his job. He had nice traits and does his job. Kleptomaniacs were fired immediately. The care of the babies was handled over to the everstaying nanny, the gardener took care about the plants. His job was reparing things and doing the household chores. The only annoying behavior was, that he liked to stood in front of the tv, when my sims were watching tv shows. But this is a first world sims problem.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I find I cannot use a butler in any lot with babies. They tend to ignore their duties in favor of constantly queuing up interactions with the infants

The butler in my last family would attend to the infant if it meant feeding or cuddling them but then walk away and leave them crying when their diaper needed changing! I kinda liked the fact that the butler refused to have anything to do with baby poop.
    Generally mine are working fine, the only problem is a robot vacuum bug whereby they will spend all day trying to fix one (that has been fully upgraded and shouldnt break) until I come along and reset the object.

I do feel sorry for one of my butlers though who works part time in my main families house as she has also just been employed by the daughter in their house too. Meaning the poor woman is apparently holding down 2 jobs working 24/7!

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My Sims' butler is excellent, but I generally don't allow her to cook or do childcare. I also use LittleMsSam's Better Butler mod.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish @dogzdinner @duhboy2u2 one of the options on the Butler... menu (when you click on the butler) allows you to specify which duties they should and should not do. You can ask them to start or stop cooking, repairing objects, cleaning, or caring for minors. If you ask them to stop cooking, you can still ask them to cook a single meal on demand.

Thanks for the tip! All this time and I had no idea that was even an option. I'll play around with that because I hate hurting my buttler's l'il pixely feelings by firing them all the time!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.