Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"To be or not to be? That is the question."

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I don't define my sims, the sims define me. I am merely a conduit from which their stories flow. At best, I'm the voice in their head that suggests they start fires or build shrines to dragons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I have been both or either, depending on the game and my mood. Sometimes I just enjoy being a spectator, other times I discovered I was identifying more as the Sim than I had realized at the start. Sometimes the ones I got very attached to, showed me things about myself that I wasn't aware of previously, through how I reacted to their interactions and relationships. Playing the Sims can be very revealing if we find ourselves playing a version of ourselves we'd like to be, but never had a chance at. It can be traumatic and humbling.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I have never or will ever be "The Sim" in The Sims.
    It is The Sims, plural after all not The Sim, singular.

Now Skyrim, that's all me.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I am The Watcher. I am God. I am The Sims. I am the Storyteller, Director and Deviant Force. I am whatever I wish to be when I load up my game.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I am The Watcher, their God. Never have I ever played a Sim as if they were myself. I have a self Sim, but I don't play with her, at all. I also micromanage the Sims in my challenge to tell a story, so I'm a Director and Storyteller as well. Sometimes I give them a 'free day' to do whatever they want, and it's fun to watch since they usually do some quite entertainingly dumb things. But after awhile I have to take over or things quickly get out of control over said entertainingly dumb things. :D
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited November 2021
    I don't play my simself. I tried once to create me and my family and in a few minutes i was feeling awkward... never did it again.
    In sims 3 i follow sim's wishes and get a bit of a director role when i choose which wishes to follow and which ones are to delete and when those inspire me to make some life changing decisions. Sometimes i surprise sims and sims surprise me all the time.
    In 4 i'm more like a god that makes all the decisions.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2021
    I have never been the Sim.
    I'm the watcher who intervenes and or controls and or makes things happen to them depending on my mood. Good or bad. Annoyed with one, zap, dead, or pleased with one, reward, here you go! I would feel really, really weird playing as if I am a Sim. That's just weird to me. I've always played this series (21 yrs) as a god game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I use the game as, I guess, improvisational story-making. I have story ideas, the game does things I don't expect, I work those into the story and get more fun and interesting results than I would have come up with on my own, and repeat.

It would give me the heebie-jeebies to play as myself. I only made a simself for as long as it took to get the (lousy) picture in my avatar.

That's me in a nutshell, too. I have the over-arching story in mind, but my Sims (and sometimes the game) will throw in something very useful when I write up what happened in my game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    I use the game as, I guess, improvisational story-making. I have story ideas, the game does things I don't expect, I work those into the story and get more fun and interesting results than I would have come up with on my own, and repeat.

It would give me the heebie-jeebies to play as myself. I only made a simself for as long as it took to get the (lousy) picture in my avatar.

That's me in a nutshell, too. I have the over-arching story in mind, but my Sims (and sometimes the game) will throw in something very useful when I write up what happened in my game.

I mainly play as myself because I like to "be" the sim. But when I get married or have a live-in partner that changes to playing both roles and that required an adjustment in thought for me to now play the female role as well.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have never been the Sim.
    I'm the watcher who intervenes and or controls and or makes things happen to them depending on my mood. Good or bad. Annoyed with one, zap, dead, or pleased with one, reward, here you go! I would feel really, really weird playing as if I am a Sim. That's just weird to me. I've always played this series (21 yrs) as a god game.

It was my belief that The Sims is a "fantasy" simulation where-in one could play "as" a sim and act out their fantasies(get rich, be a doctor, have children, etc...). However, the "God/Director" aspect has given light to those who want an impersonal attachment to their sim. They want to control the sim and not be the sim. I'm always being the male sim even in a family, until my son is born and I die to then start being the male sim as my son sim.
  • Options
    HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I play to control my sims. I like to make up their own storyline and have them tell it, just as if I was a little girl playing with dollies again LOL
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member

I mainly play as myself because I like to "be" the sim. But when I get married or have a live-in partner that changes to playing both roles and that required an adjustment in thought for me to now play the female role as well.

I'm a writer and don't find it too difficult to get into the mind of either gender. Years of observing people, I suppose.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/