Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

KIT - New Swatches Only

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
edited September 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Existing KITS are controversial because of a lot of reasons as small amount of content, not matching content, cultural content ect. but I think that KITs have a potential, but EA needs to change the direction. A lot of people love to build in TS4, but also a huge part of the community don't care of build mode ect. Due to that I have an idea to create a KIT just only with recolours. Existing BB KITs have ~25 new mesches with ~12 swatches (sometimes very controversial or useless) per each item. It gives us 300 unique items in one kit. What if EA make a KIT just with 100 recoulors of base game set instead of a new furnitures?

For example. We have a lovely set of BlandCo kitchen with fortunately more swathes from the last patch but imagine if a new KIT will contain ~100 more unique variants for that set. In my opinion it could be awesome.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    There are a lot of useless recolors though. They need to separate the countertops from the counters and the bedframes from the mattress and so on so that we can mix and match ourselves and with less space taken up by recolors.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    There are a lot of useless recolors though. They need to separate the countertops from the counters and the bedframes from the mattress and so on so that we can mix and match ourselves and with less space taken up by recolors.

I really don't think that will happen anymore at this point. They made the wrong design choice in the beginning with restricting each asset to only be recolorable as a whole.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Sims 4 should have come with a color wheel, beds and mattresses separated, couches with pillows separated, and counter tops and counters separated. It should have also come with pools ghosts and toddlers ( which were added later ), and it still needs resl babies. It should have also come where you had to buy the pieces of outfits ( instead of getting them free ) which it didn’t, but they could always add a challenge for that like they did with food (simple living).
  • Options
    I think that it is only possible by recreate some items as follows:

It's ok that a lot of items has just a general swatches, buy beds and counters definitely need to have separate sections.

I afraid that currently EA has a restricion to implement only 12 swatches per item. In the most of cases it's not enough, especially that the colour choice is questionable in the most of cases. Look at DHD GP. In my opinion both kitchen sets and the sectional sofas could be awesome, but someone has chosen weird colour combos and this is sad because now we are stuck with that colours.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I would love for Sims 4 to have the ability of having a large about of color choices & also object frames for all objects.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Well, I don't know. I prefer the kits with the "unique or different" cas, b/b or gameplay items. And I like base game objects and cas to come with new swatches for free. But yes in general a color wheel would be ideal. I have 3 Barbie's in my game and with a color wheel i could make everything pink and white, and sometimes with a hint of light blue.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »

I really don't think that will happen anymore at this point. They made the wrong design choice in the beginning with restricting each asset to only be recolorable as a whole.

Well, if they started upgrading stuff, maybe they will consider this at least for objects where there is an obvious need. I don't see the point in bloating the game with 1200 re-colours of objects when they could half that number just by making stuff with different recolourable subsets. There is a lot of stuff indeed, but maybe they could start with small section like the kitchen counters.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I'm not sure if the game even allows for it. I have not seen any CC creator being able to do an object that has seperately recolourable parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for at and would love them to start with bed as I find those the worst.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the game even allows for it. I have not seen any CC creator being able to do an object that has seperately recolourable parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for at and would love them to start with bed as I find those the worst.

Well they are the creators of the game, maybe they can implement it somehow. CC creator mostly just clone and use the pre-sets give by Maxis so it's understandable if they cannot do it.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I honestly think this could make people hate kits even more. At the very least they introduce stuff that I would consider new. To suddenly lock recolors that were originally free update content to paid kits would feel very scummy to me.

I will admit some people don't care about BB. I've even seen some complaints about getting free update content in general because of computer specs (boggles my mind).

I would not even consider myself what I have come to determine is an avid builder, but I do spend a solid third of my game time there and even upload some renovations to the gallery. I cannot say I want recolors locked behind kits or even necessarily a one off recolor kit.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I did enjoy the freedom of changing out the bedspread in Sims3. Being truly able to choose the style of bed, mattress and bedspread would be an asset. Tired of the same old, same old, you know?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    While it would be cool to have item swatches by parts, it would take a complete overhaul of the item mapping to do it, not to mention having some way to select the different swatches separately. It's a major undertaking. Not saying it can't be done, but it would require a lot of work and would doubtless break tons of cc as well.

Regarding the color wheel, I get why people like it, but a color under a grayscale texture is never going to look as good as a full color texture, and tiling textures are always going to fall short when compared to the detail possibilities of hand painted textures. So, imo, Swatches are always going to look better in the long run, because they allow for those sort of details.

As for the original idea of a kit of only swatches... I'm going to have to be in the "No" camp. I like the idea of kits, and I wouldn't mind BB or CAS kits that were just 20-25 (or more) items in roughly the same category (clutter for a specific room/style, sleepwear, beds, curtains, jewelry, makeup etc.) as opposed to a bunch of different kinds of items on a theme, but a bunch of swatches for base game items as a kit - which a lot of people view as just money grabs or even just "overpriced" - would be a big time no-go from me. I don't know that I'd be actively mad about it, but I would actively see it as a waste of resources for the Kits team, and certainly would never get it out of principle.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    While it would be cool to have item swatches by parts, it would take a complete overhaul of the item mapping to do it, not to mention having some way to select the different swatches separately. It's a major undertaking. Not saying it can't be done, but it would require a lot of work and would doubtless break tons of cc as well.

In TS2 the mesh was divided into subsets, that were imported separately in the package and each had it's own swatch options, material settings and other attributes. They don't need to remap everything, just separate the maps. I'm not saying they should do this for all objects, but for those where it's most needed, kitchen counters, beds, chairs with cushions.
  • Options
    figgyfiggy Posts: 179 Member
    I did enjoy the freedom of changing out the bedspread in Sims3. Being truly able to choose the style of bed, mattress and bedspread would be an asset. Tired of the same old, same old, you know?

Yes, I would love this. Also, it would allow to use the designer tool to change the bedspread as if changing the sheets when doing laundry. It would add a nice touch of realism I think. At my home, I also don't have only one set of sheets or multiple sets of the same design.
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited September 2021
    I’m all for Create a Style Style Build Mode. If it’s not gonna happen (which I believe is most likely) I won’t be too fussed about it either. I can do with what we have and I spend a lot of time in build mode. I’d rather get the ceilings fixed. Many more swatches needed for those.

A Swatch Kit? Absolutely. DLC for DLC is something this community absolutely adores. It’d be such a genius idea of the studio to make us buy extra swatches for content that was shipped with Base Game or other DLC. We’ll all be sending the team boxes full of love heart candies just to show how appreciative we are.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, TS4 needed more swatches for many things, however, didn't Maxis try selling recolors to the mobile gamers? It didn't go over too well, and frankly I won't pay for a recolor when with a little time anyone can learn to recolor these games or just download one for free without having to also download or install ten purples, ten shades of lime green etc. But I understand your point, that yes, Maxis never setup this game for all parts of an object to accept a recolor. That is the whole problem actually because if they had it would be so much easier for players to want to do this for themselves.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2021
    Kits have kinda made me realize that while packs were limited in what they could do and took longer to make, they followed a set of rules that made them feel like a concept that I was willing to pay for, a whole package.

With kits Maxis got rid of those rules and I feel that now we are seeing people debate what Maxis can make and monetize for this game and I kinda feel that this is something that I would rather not open up even more.

We kinda need these rules so that EA doesn't start charging for everything for this game and I feel that if we are going to start selling swatches then we are just opening up more ways for EA to monetize this game, even if people are getting more of what they missed for this 7 year old game.

In the end you can always make the argument that more of something is a good thing and it's this or nothing but I personally feel that there is a point where we are kinda just asking for more content because we just want more of everything.

With kits I feel that we were kinda moving there and if Maxis would start selling kit swatches then we have reached that point for the sims4. It doesn't matter what Maxis makes, more of something is always a good thing.

Or is it?

tldr, I would prefer Maxis to not sell swatches for just the sake of people wanting more swatches, I prefer when Maxis are selling a package of something that gives people inspiration and let them try out new things, just not more content because... it's more content.
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't mind the kits. They remind me of the Sims2 Store, but better. I bought a lot of bundles that cost more than the kits for as much or even less content.
  • Options
    I work on a new house this days and again I noticed that a lot of objects could be much more better with a new swatches. If EA don't want to make them on their own, they can hire our amazing community:

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

In TS2 the mesh was divided into subsets, that were imported separately in the package and each had it's own swatch options, material settings and other attributes. They don't need to remap everything, just separate the maps. I'm not saying they should do this for all objects, but for those where it's most needed, kitchen counters, beds, chairs with cushions.

True. I forgot about just making the areas different material zones. But even that, depending on the construction of the mesh and how the UV map is drawn, can be a bit of a hassle. I remember one outfit I had for Genesis 1 in Daz Studio that the piping was weirdly mapped, so I couldn't make it into its own material zone separate from the rest of the dress without going in and completely re-drawing the UV map for the dress. And I stink at UV mapping, so I may be exaggerating how much of a hassle it would be.

And yes, I'm talking CG art assets rather than Game assets, but the basic principles of creating and mapping 3D assets isn't that different, just the level of details involved.
  • Options

True. I forgot about just making the areas different material zones. But even that, depending on the construction of the mesh and how the UV map is drawn, can be a bit of a hassle. I remember one outfit I had for Genesis 1 in Daz Studio that the piping was weirdly mapped, so I couldn't make it into its own material zone separate from the rest of the dress without going in and completely re-drawing the UV map for the dress. And I stink at UV mapping, so I may be exaggerating how much of a hassle it would be.

And yes, I'm talking CG art assets rather than Game assets, but the basic principles of creating and mapping 3D assets isn't that different, just the level of details involved.

Well, as far as I know Maxis does very neat UV maps, no need to redraw anything, just separate the parts and match the UV maps to the texture file.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Swatches should be in free updates, like those we've already had.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.