Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifestyles are terrible

Technophobe

Im playing in sulani on an off-the-grid lot, no technology on the lot, technophobes start craving technology. And they use the level 10 gardening weed destroyer.

Energenic

Same lot, sims constantly do push ups, and in the recent worst case get a negative moodlet from a lack of working out because somehow they get the idea they havent worked out. The moodlet is so strong they cant go swimming, exercise option isnt available anymore, they cant cook. They become useless. The only solution is to go to a gym. Because treadmills are big and ugly and the only training gear available.
My solution would be to introduce hand held training gear which can be placed nearly everywhere so we dont need to go to a gym but keep the theme going.

Health food nut

I gave up on this one because not all sims on the lot were into it. When I didnt look they ate meat. As vegetarians. With the trait...

Hungry for love

Sims actually interact less romantically autonomously with this and they lose it eventually.

Outdoorsy

Even when the sims are outside every few minutes because inside doesnt offer activities they get a grey moodlet often instantly after going under a roof.

I just want to turn it off. There is no benefit and in its current form the system feels like a punishment.

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I actually really like lifestyles. They are bugged to Hades and back and should have been fixed by now, but I generally quite like the idea behind them. I don't think the execution is that bad for some of them, either.

For example, I really like the junk food fiend and health nut lifestyles. It makes sense to me that my health nut has to put in the effort to maintain her lifestyle. Plus, my junk food fiends do prefer quick meals. I also like the adrenaline lifestyle. It doesn't do much beyond buffing work and some hobbies usually, but it can definitely make a Sim unique with three different lifestyles.

I didn't realize the technophobes were bugged to act like technophiles. I specifically take them off the grid to watch them suffer. I have not had a lot of trouble with indoors versus outdoorsy. Hungry for love is another I typically use for suffering, so I cannot swear to how well it works.

I definitely have to give you energetic, though. The uncomfortable moodlet from not exercising prevents you from doing the exercise to remove the moodlet. That is as bugged or flawed as you can get. Theoretically it will eventually be fixed, though. People person versus close knit is kind of ridiculous, though. Since I play large families, I will never get to see close knit organically and it makes little sense to me that having a lot of siblings automatically makes you a people person.

Back when SE came out I assigned a bunch of different lifestyles to my regular library Sims, so I haven't played without lifestyles being in full swing since SE dropped. They definitely could be better and I think they will probably have to become BG for that, but I like where they were trying to go with it.
  • Options
    MoumantieMoumantie Posts: 3 New Member
    Specificly the workaholic needs a rework imo.

My sim goes to work
    - He is stressed out cuz he wants a vacation

I give him a vacation
    - He is stressed out cuz he is not working.

What am I supposed to do to not be stressed? Intentionally sabotage my work performance to loose the lifestyle?
    Quit the job?
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    The lifestyles should be traits imo.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    "Lifestyles," as they function right now, would be more accurately named "obsessions" or even "addictions."
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Lifestyles can ruin immersion for storytelling as well.

A Sim in a house that's off the grid has enough windmills to keep the computer on 24/7, and becomes a techie. Then wonders where the WiFi is? You've been online this whole time.

A vampire hides indoors until it is immune to the sun, and right before gaining that power gains the indoorsy lifestyle? Um, you can go outs now.

Do I want lifestyles gone? No. I would rather have them appear after a window pops up asking if the Sim wants the lifestyle.
  • Options
    bookwormsimmer25bookwormsimmer25 Posts: 24 Member
    > @Moumantie said:
    > Specificly the workaholic needs a rework imo.
    >
    > My sim goes to work
    > - He is stressed out cuz he wants a vacation
    >
    > I give him a vacation
    > - He is stressed out cuz he is not working.
    >
    > What am I supposed to do to not be stressed? Intentionally sabotage my work performance to loose the lifestyle?
    > Quit the job?

Your Sim is me.
  • Options
    I agree. I hate that they're bugged and can't be removed. I've tried through rewards traits points and the coaching. Waiting it out takes longer than picking them up and yeah, um why are the moodlets for them so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 intense to where you can't satisfy them without dedicating a ton of time??? I've totally turned em completely off before because I was sick of dealing with them.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I turned them off and haven’t looked back. I had too many sims tense at their own weddings because they were single long enough to get the lifestyle - like no little sims, you were only single until I found your person, time to get over it. I also gave up with my mermaid vet. She grew up on Sulani, so she got the outdoorsy one. I had her move to Brindleton Bay and become a vet. Since the clinic was indoors, she’d become tense and would only be rude to her customers. I love the idea of them, but they’re too limiting with the tense moodlets.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Close-knit can be a little of a PITA when your family grows - because then the friend balance is out of wack. I wish it either only counted family or only counted nonfamily friends. Frankly, it seems to fit family better.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    edited September 2021
    HavenRose wrote: »
    I turned them off and haven’t looked back.
    How did you do that?

Found it. No clue why I missed this option all this time and only found it because of an older forum post :dizzy:
    Post edited by Zasz on
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Moumantie wrote: »
    Specificly the workaholic needs a rework imo.

My sim goes to work
    - He is stressed out cuz he wants a vacation

I give him a vacation
    - He is stressed out cuz he is not working.

What am I supposed to do to not be stressed? Intentionally sabotage my work performance to loose the lifestyle?
    Quit the job?

Workaholic is somehow bugged in my game and really needs a re-do, like the family aspiration too. It's too fast activated. 5 day working hard, et voila you are now an Workaholic. Something is not quite right with this lifestyle in the background. I get exception warnings when this lifestyle become active. I've tested without any mods, nothing to see, but when installed better exception only, this error message pops up and it's blames exactly this lifestyle.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited September 2021
    Turned them off after a week or two, never going back. They were a waste of nerves, nothing more
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    Honestly I think lifestyles were mistaken with obsessions. Lifestyle is something that person enjoys, but can get without sometimes even for longer periods of time. For example traveling, there is many folks that love it, but they also work normally and maybe summer is the only time they can indulge in their passions. Sims “lifestyles” are punishing obsessions that give so harsh tense moodlets that sims may be considered broken. The most ridiculous to me is outdoorsy lifestyle. Yeah, you may like being out there having fun, but you have family, job and life IN the house that need your attention. The moodlet should be way less powerful and say something along the lines: “I wish I could be outside now, can’t wait to the next day off.” Which would paint a picture of intelligent sim who wish to spent more time outside as that’s their lifestyle, but they also get that sometimes other things are more urgent. I turned off lifestyles long time ago and this is the first thing I’m doing when starting a brand new game.
  • Options
    Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    The only lifestyle state that I seem to have issues with are Sims who are "terrified"/"angry". Currently playing a haunted house save and quite often (particularly at night), Sims are too terrified to take care of their basic needs. Understandable, but gets a bit ridiculous after a while when my Morgyn Ember is often running around screaming about to wet himself, despite me trying to counter the fear factor with their appropriate actions ("hiding under the covers"/"taking a panicked poop"). It often takes a while for the moodlet to clear and by that point, the Sim's needs are in a pretty dire state.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I like the sentiments but yeah the lifestyles are a bit much. Maybe they shouldn't affects the sims in a negative way. If they are an outdoorsy forum, they should just be happy to be outside. If you need them to do stuff inside then that should be fine.

Sentiments are where they should experience negative moods.
  • Options
    PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    Eh, I love lifestyles for the most and if they annoy me I just remove them. Most of my Sims are healthfood nuts though get this, a sim with wellness 2 unlocks the sugar free coconut cake right? Simple living lot trait says the sugar free coconut cake is NOT SUGAR FREE! It requires sugar to make it...I feel personally conned.
  • Options
    ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    Couldn't Agree more . Lifestyle is really more like playstyle . I often wind up in the situation where every one of my sims have the same lifestyle . The only thing it do is punishing me for suddenly change my playstyle . And the buff is just way too strong . Also it's so buggy . My Workaholic sims constantly get very tense even if they have gone to work .
    I definitely would not hope them put lifestyle in BG , it's so experimental and buggy like N.A.P and it's don't really provide you new ways to play . And the Japanese world skiing pack could not be more emptier , I wouldn't even consider buying it if it's not for the lifestyles . ( Which make me regret later on .)
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    "Health Food Nut" is an eating disorder. Change my mind.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Eh, I love lifestyles for the most and if they annoy me I just remove them. Most of my Sims are healthfood nuts though get this, a sim with wellness 2 unlocks the sugar free coconut cake right? Simple living lot trait says the sugar free coconut cake is NOT SUGAR FREE! It requires sugar to make it...I feel personally conned.

LOL too funny
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I would like the lifestyles better if they were static. A worcaholic sim who is temporarily in a position where he's unable to get a job should not lose that lifestyle just because of the circumstances. Yes, in real life we adapt, but it's nothing I want in my sims game. Also the game initiated lifestyle fading much too quickly for my aging off and very slow progression playstyle. As a result I turned Lifestyles off, because constantly cheating lost ones back in again, cheating away out-of-character ones the sims had developed (Outdoorsy and People person being the worst offenders) and dealing with withdrawal moodlets became too much paperwork for too little gain.

As for the actual lifestyles, when they were not in fading mode they were quite fun. Especially the Fast Food lover sims, who can add sugar and bacon to any meal, that's definitely something I do, too, irl.

My main gripe is with the technophobe. Avoiding technology doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy these sims, they seem to need to actively sabotage electronics. Also it's beyond silly that they gain "violated my principles" from dancing to a DJ booth and paying the bills will their phone. It's so extreme, when all I wanted was a low tech lifestyle sim. But then again, I can play them this way without needing the official label.