Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim invisible except for the Plumbob?

NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
Does anyone know what could cause that? I tried having him shower, got to sleep and get up, and so on, and he's still just a floating plumbob, but I can direct him to do things, everything's normal except he's invisible. Any help much appreciated.
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Are you using cc clothes? Or any cc skin?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MissLyn2408MissLyn2408 Posts: 38 Member
    I used to have that problem from time to time. Just for a moment and then it would go away, just like the blink of an eye. I never figured it out and didn't care to because mine was short term. I chalked it up to my CC. Your problem sounds more serious. I'm sure you know of the 50/50 method of removing CC and testing the game. https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content
    I would suggest that until someone else comes around with better ideas.

However, questions: Did this start occurring after you added the sim to an existing household?
    Is it only one Sim that is having this problem?
    If you go to other households do you have this problem?
    Does this problem go away after your go to build/buy mode and back?
  • Options
    This person had the same problem with an invisible Sim and viewable plumbob. It turned out to be the outfit. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Invisible-Sim/td-p/517424
  • Options
    > @MissLyn2408 said:
    > This person had the same problem with an invisible Sim and viewable plumbob. It turned out to be the outfit. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Invisible-Sim/td-p/517424

Please ignore this last post. I would delete it if I could. That post was about Sims 3. I will, however, suggest the same thing they did because it seemed pretty smart. See if the sim became visible again if you changed their outfit. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
  • Options
    > @MissLyn2408 said:
    > This person had the same problem with an invisible Sim and viewable plumbob. It turned out to be the outfit. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Invisible-Sim/td-p/517424

Please ignore this last post. I would delete it if I could. That post was about Sims 3. I will, however, suggest the same thing they did because it seemed pretty smart. See if the sim became visible again if you changed their outfit. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

I appreciate your taking the time to pass on good advice. Sadly in this case, I tried that already. And the outfit is just an ordinary Sims2 game outfit, no CC or anything. He's also not the Hero career thing, read about that having an invisibility glitch. Oh well, if I can't resolve it, it's not the end of the world, I can play different saves. I just really like the house I made and am not sure if it's okay to try to save a house to the bin, or if that's another thing that can cause corruption.

Sims2 is very buggy but very much worth it due to the gameplay.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Do not save lived in houses to the bin. Yes, they cause corruption. Played lots have remaining data of Sims left in them. No per se a Sim but left over data, that's why if you find or build a house save a clean copy to the bin before playing it. That way you will always have a clean copy and not a played copy. If it were me, I would take at all custom content and start putting back a little at a time to see what type of cc is causing the problem. It's nine times out of ten custom content.

I would also clean out my bodyshop (bad projects) etc. if you have been working in bodyshop. That also causes problems. I would delete the cache files because they get too bloated and left over wrong data. I would move the Sim to a different house in case it is lot corruption then bulldoze the house.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sims and houses in the bin can cause corruption (when played like Cinebar said), so can leaving the lot/game while a sim is on the phone because there is technically an invisible sim on the lot for the purposes of the phone call. You are right; there are so many things that can cause corruption.

Cinebar's suggestions aren't bad either.

[If any of your Sims came from another player or save that can cause corruption because they have memories attached to the Sim in relation to other Sims. Also pregnant Sims in the bin will corrupt your game if you place them on a lot and play them. The game came shipped with a pregnant sim in the Bin. It was not fixed and that always bothered me.]

If you cannot find the specific situation you are experiencing online then I would still try the 50/50 method for checking CC as CC can affect other regular outfits and Sims. However, I am interpreting your response as you not having any CC.

In that case, Cinebar's ideas are good to try, and also if it were me I would check the career by switching between others, just in case you have a unique glitch for your career (since you indicated that other people were having issues with one of the careers- maybe it is possible you have that issue with another. If I recall correctly, if you have the career wall board you can join a career at the level you deserve- maybe via PC too?)

If it isn't CC and it isn't a testable glitch, then it might be corruption which can be treated usually. It can take a lot of work so I'll leave it up to you to determine how you want to play the save.

Also, thank you for your previous response.

I know you are a veteran and you probably already know all of this or have the resources; I worry about my words being useless, but just in case I have two resources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/4ih6zx/sims_2_corruption_101/
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If you are using a custom skin that can also cause the problem you are experiencing. I remember one time I download a Sim for TS2 and he was wonderful but when he would take a shower he would become invisible. It was the custom skin because he was a character from a movie someone had created. Not all skins play nice with Maxis clothes and or custom clothes. Also, just in case, custom hair and beards and other things can also cause this problem. Not all creators check and recheck their work. Last note there was an old bug about this but it was cleaned up in a patch so if anyone is using cds please make sure to patch the base, and all the EPs. The patches only patch their own particular EP. Also Family Fun stuff will need to be patched, too. M&G also was left with some bugs but MTS's Lord Darcy made some fixes for it years ago, since they never released a patch for it.

ETA: Also, just because a Sim is wearing a Maxis outfit doesn't mean there won't be a problem with it, if a person has some custom clothes that were created with that mesh as a totally separate outfit.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all for your insightful replies! At least I know more of what not to do. I don't have any CC in Sims2, but I will try the suggestions about bulldozing, moving to another lot, etc. The couple in question are Max Flexor and Mitch Indie and it was Max who became invisible. I just stopped playing that game entirely and have had no problems with other Sims2 games. But will take your advice to heart. And I probably won't even do CC at all with Sims2. I don't see the need. I don't use it with Sims 3, either, but use a lot of Store content.

Thanks again for helping me learn what to do and what not to do in Sims2! It's a great game, worth navigating around its quirks.

xicwqMCm.jpg