Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'cook together with' interaction

Hello, recently I've been playing the sims 4 and found a new interaction,'cook together with'. How does this work? Should I make a group with other sim to do this? Because I got a visitor today and my sim tried to cook together with that visitor. The visitor is a young adult man with high cooking skill but I can't control him. I asked him to cook together with my sim, but the visitor keep standing in the kitchen and my sim is doing all cooking process. Is it supposed to be like this or ..? I tried 2 times on the fridge and on the counter. Neither made the visitor do cooking actions.

Comments

• Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    That interaction has never worked for me, sadly, but it's worked for my sister so idk
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    I've tried it twice. Once when I had the second sim click the counter and choose cook together after my first sim was already cooking. My second sim didn't make it in time and my first sim finished cooking before my second sim joined.

The second time I used the cook together option on the fridge and my second sim just came and talked to my first sim the whole time they cooked. *shrugs*
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited August 2021
    Is there enough counter space for two Sims to cook at? The Sim you have asked to cook with you (whether adult or child) will usually just prep/chop food at a free counter. In my experience, as long as there are atleast two free counter spaces then it should work just fine.

Edit: Incase adding more counter space does not solve your issue, I've found two threads on Answers HQ that may help:

This one has been solved:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/Sims-won-t-cook-together/td-p/10540397

And this one is still open:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Group-Cooking-Sims-just-stands-around/td-p/10531137

If your issue persists, you can click the "me too" button in the first post in the open thread and then reply with a description of your own experience.

I hope the "cook together with" interaction gets fixed for you! :smile:
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Grouping can help, because that allows "Go Here With Group" so you can start with everyone in the kitchen already.

How it works is the lead person goes to the fridge, which triggers others to come to the area. The lead sim will take out ingredients, and move to a counter as normal. Then, the other participants will find available counter, and join in.

But routing, and queueing up animations, seems to be a bit of a non-optimized log-jam, so it can take time for sims to sort out what to do - sometimes longer than it takes the first sim to finish a dish.

Having everyone participating already together, in the kitchen, when you start makes it much more likely to come off as it should.

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I had two sims autonomously cook together. But it was weird. The second sim just stood there and talked to them and didn't do any cooking at all.
    I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. :/
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    That's the hazard with hanging actions - if they autonomously decide to do something else BEFORE they have worked through the processes to join in at a counter with their own bowl or cutting board, it will jettison the interaction, and you end up in the situation you describe.
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited August 2021
    Is there enough counter space for two Sims to cook at? The Sim you have asked to cook with you (whether adult or child) will usually just prep/chop food at a free counter. In my experience, as long as there are atleast two free counter spaces then it should work just fine.

Edit: Incase adding more counter space does not solve your issue, I've found two threads on Answers HQ that may help:

This one has been solved:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/Sims-won-t-cook-together/td-p/10540397

And this one is still open:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Group-Cooking-Sims-just-stands-around/td-p/10531137

If your issue persists, you can click the "me too" button in the first post in the open thread and then reply with a description of your own experience.

I hope the "cook together with" interaction gets fixed for you! :smile:

I had 4 empty counters but the visitor didn't do anything. Looks like it randomly works and I'm the one of the unlucky cases. Thank you, I will click 'me too' button at the open case. I can try one more after grouping first, and then will see. My sim's cooking level is 10, and the visitor's cooking level is also 10. Would this cooking level matter maybe? Looks like other simmers have the same issue.

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It doesn’t seem to work for me either, not in my current household anyway. I have a theory that possibly there is not enough accessible counter space so the extra helping sims just stand talking but I’m not 100% sure about this.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Here are my sims cooking together. 2 are actually cooking, teen is taking selfies, boy is standing there chatting. I have found that any more than 2 sims just doesn't work.

TxZDDQZ.jpg

And I regularly get a mom and daughter autonomously cooking together in another family.
    ExTX0pm.png
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited August 2021
    Probably no help but, it's happened autonomously for my sims a few times. Then they get "Cooking Memories"

Ahh, yes. That day we made toast together. I'll never forget it.

Such exciting lives they lead. :D
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I wonder if it varies from save to save, because I've tried it on two of my saves and failed every time, but my sister has her own save and was able to cook together more than once. It's not a matter of counter space, because I have a lot of counter space.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I've only tried it a few times with a couple. Their kitchen is fairly small with maybe two or three counterspace available. The first time, the second sim did no cooking actions, but seemed to be watching and cheering on the other sim who was cooking. The other times both sims did go through the cooking motions. I wonder if the recipes determine the action, or is it always the same?
    The cooking menu is somewhat confusing too. One time they prepared a dish together and it turned out it was only one serving so my second sim had to make another dish. I also don't think they automatically grab a serving together, or even 'call to meal' would have been nice to add on as a next step to the cook together interaction.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Thanks @GirlFromIpanema , I clicked me too on the bug report and made a note.

I wanted to share this thought here too: it seems like, in my game, it's random whether the other sim does a cooking animation, a reading cookbook animation, or a "stand there and talk about food" animation. "Stand there and talk about food" feels buggy, and maybe it is, idk, but in the end they do end up producing the extra servings that you should get from "cook together". So it's possible it's just a poorly designed alternative animation.

(I feel like if it's by design, you shouldn't have stand-and-talkers helping to cook unless you have at least 2 or 3 sims doing cooking animations already. People definitely hang out in my RL kitchen and helpfully argue about garlic or shellfish while a couple of people are actively cooking. But not if I'm the only one actively cooking. Or if they do, then that kind of help I don't need!)
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I wanted to share this thought here too: it seems like, in my game, it's random whether the other sim does a cooking animation, a reading cookbook animation, or a "stand there and talk about food" animation. "Stand there and talk about food" feels buggy, and maybe it is, idk, but in the end they do end up producing the extra servings that you should get from "cook together". So it's possible it's just a poorly designed alternative animation.

(I feel like if it's by design, you shouldn't have stand-and-talkers helping to cook unless you have at least 2 or 3 sims doing cooking animations already. People definitely hang out in my RL kitchen and helpfully argue about garlic or shellfish while a couple of people are actively cooking. But not if I'm the only one actively cooking. Or if they do, then that kind of help I don't need!)

In my game, even the visitor didn’t talk anything. He was standing beside the counters and did nothing. He was just standing without words. But anyway, my sim made 12 portions meal.

@Mstybl95 Maybe, do you have Cottage living pack? It might work with this pack? I haven’t got it yet. Because I also have the bug which I cannot sell the harvestable through my sim’s inventory. I heard there is a market that you can sell your produces but I don’t have that market without cottage living.

• Options
    Strangerville_HeroStrangerville_Hero Posts: 18 Member
    So the sims gather around the fridge and depending on how much counter space there is the other sims can join in. If you have one counter then the other sims just cheer them on.
  • Options
    Jeansoo wrote: »

In my game, even the visitor didn’t talk anything. He was standing beside the counters and did nothing. He was just standing without words. But anyway, my sim made 12 portions meal.

@Mstybl95 Maybe, do you have Cottage living pack? It might work with this pack? I haven’t got it yet. Because I also have the bug which I cannot sell the harvestable through my sim’s inventory. I heard there is a market that you can sell your produces but I don’t have that market without cottage living.

@Jeansoo - I do have cottage living. For me it only works for 2 sims to cook and not every time, either. The others will just stand around, but they always get the cooked together sentiment.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

@Jeansoo - I do have cottage living. For me it only works for 2 sims to cook and not every time, either. The others will just stand around, but they always get the cooked together sentiment.

Thanks. Finally, I found 2 of my sims were cooking together yesterday. After adding the visitor to my active household, they could cook together.

Is there anyone experience cooking together with unplayed sims? One is your active sim, and the other is unplayed sim or played sim but you cannot command. I added only one played sim(not active sim) for cooking together but didn’t work.

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I haven't had sims actually help with the cooking, but they chat with each other and make suggestions as they cook with is kinda funny. I think perhaps the other sim has higher cooking skill and that might stop the sim from actually helping, but I dunno. Perhaps one free counter isn't enough?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Thanks. Finally, I found 2 of my sims were cooking together yesterday. After adding the visitor to my active household, they could cook together.

Is there anyone experience cooking together with unplayed sims? One is your active sim, and the other is unplayed sim or played sim but you cannot command. I added only one played sim(not active sim) for cooking together but didn’t work.

I have had my sims best friend come over and help cook many times. This doesn't work. The friend just stands in front of an empty counter, but they do get the sentiment.
    Aine wrote: »
    I haven't had sims actually help with the cooking, but they chat with each other and make suggestions as they cook with is kinda funny. I think perhaps the other sim has higher cooking skill and that might stop the sim from actually helping, but I dunno. Perhaps one free counter isn't enough?

Nope, because sims kids can cook with their parents and they do the interaction if there is only 2 sims working. If there is more, they likely wouldn't have gotten there fast enough to be the second sim since the taller sims walk faster.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited September 2021
    its little glitchy but as long as your sims can route and there is enough counters you just have to select sim to cook with and theyll go do their thing

should not matter if the sim is in household
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    its little glitchy but as long as your sims can route and there is enough counters you just have to select sim to cook with and theyll go do their thing

Good point. Unclutter the counters. ;)
    I've noticed in many builds people clutter up the counters with 'stuff'. Looks cool, but blocks all the counters.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    That interaction has never worked for me, sadly, but it's worked for my sister so idk

It never worked for me, as expected. :/
  • Options
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

Good point. Unclutter the counters. ;)
    I've noticed in many builds people clutter up the counters with 'stuff'. Looks cool, but blocks all the counters.

Most houses on the gallery clutter the counters using move objects. That doesn't impede them using the counters. I do this all the time. Plus in the picture above, you can clearly see I have open space and the two children are not participating.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    It's a tad glitchy. I've only had it work out really nice, once. The mom and her two Child daughters were actually able to prepare the meal together.

IjhzQNX.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @GalacticGal I've had it work well with two or three Sims if their kitchen has an island like the one in your screenshot. I've also seen the "fail" when the lead Sim has finished cooking before their assistant reaches the kitchen because of a routing issue, and the "cheering section" scenario when two Sims whom I invited to cook with my playable Sim stood back and cheered him on while he prepared the meal.

One of the supporters has set fire to her stove twice in my save, so perhaps she made the right choice.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!