Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Cars are More then likely Never Coming

With all honesty, I definitely want more Locomotion options for sims, the Speed regular sims run at can at times feel to slow (especially when exploring Salvedorada). But I beleive that cars are never coming in any function other then Décor because of the limitations of the worlds, not necessarily because it would be hard to implement, but some worlds and neighborhoods are just completely impractical for car routing of any kind (all neighborhoods of Sulani, the starter neighborhood in Newcrest, even the neighborhoods of Mount Komorebi), basically they would have to completely redesign all livable neighborhoods designs AND routing. But I don't think Motorized Vehicles are completely out, Mopeds and Motorcycles are much more feasible then cars, because they can use similar mechanics to bicycles, and probably would be faster then them too (especially motorcycles), plus there could be other forms as well, like skateboards or even the Hoverboard (like the one from TS3 Into the Future). We pretty much have to be honest with ourselves, a Dynamic like cars, especially fleshed out ones like some peoples concepts are, they would have to do something that would be placed and used on any lot, and lets face it, virtually all lots in the Sims 4 don't have direct access to a street, plus do you want to drive your sports car on the Key Point lot in Sulani.

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2021
    I tend to think they are. The gurus said in a Livestream they hear us on cars and generations. I believe their being worked on right now and the hints we have been getting on cars are numorous. Cottage Living added some new vehicles that we didn't have before in buydebug. Also we've got boats,bikes and a spaceship. Vehicles that could mean cars are coming. Cars don't necesseraly need roads to work. They could use teleportation. They may also choose to make cars be available only in certain worlds. I"m not giving up hope yet.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Ask yourself, can sims swim in any of the worlds prior to Sulani? Not really. Actually not at all.
    Worlds that were released after Sulani do however have dedicated swimming spots. Obviously it doesn’t make sense for them not to be able to swim in the oceans of Brindleton and Windenburg, so in my opinion a less than ideal situation, but as it stands that’s going to be the way it is in the Sims 4. I do hope to see more beaches in newer worlds with swimming opportunities though.

I imagine something similar will happen regarding the implementation of cars. It won’t be an ideal -drive anywhere you like- situation like in Sims 3. But sure in Sims 2 they couldn’t really go anywhere either could they? I have a feeling Sims 4 will meet in the middle. Newer worlds could offer open roads for cars to move trough, in older worlds transportation is going to be more or less Sims 2 style. I could live with that. My sims needs a friggin’ car.

I believe they’re coming soon. If we can get vacuum cleaners we can get cars. Does comparing those two make sense? Probably not. But what does?
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited August 2021
    Ask yourself, can sims swim in any of the worlds prior to Sulani? Not really. Actually not at all.
    Worlds that were released after Sulani do however have dedicated swimming spots. Obviously it doesn’t make sense for them not to be able to swim in the oceans of Brindleton and Windenburg, so in my opinion a less than ideal situation, but as it stands that’s going to be the way it is in the Sims 4. I do hope to see more beaches in newer worlds with swimming opportunities though.

I imagine something similar will happen regarding the implementation of cars. It won’t be an ideal -drive anywhere you like- situation like in Sims 3. But sure in Sims 2 they couldn’t really go anywhere either could they? I have a feeling Sims 4 will meet in the middle. Newer worlds could offer open roads for cars to move trough, in older worlds transportation is going to be more or less Sims 2 style. I could live with that. My sims needs a friggin’ car.

I believe they’re coming soon. If we can get vacuum cleaners we can get cars. Does comparing those two make sense? Probably not. But what does?

I’m imagining a vacuum cleaner shaped car now. 😂

Although in Sims 3 one lifetime reward was a vacuum cleaner they could ride like a broom.
    I thought they might add ‘ride vacuum’ in Busted Dust (that’s what I call it) but no 🙄 🤦🏼‍♂️. Even a ‘pretend to ride vacuum’ option for the kids would’ve been good.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm sure they can figure it out how to implement them well into the game.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Hope still lives!!!😁😁😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    If not, we can fly on the backs of dragons. They don't need roads.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    If not, we can fly on the backs of dragons. They don't need roads.

You have no idea how badly I'd want this ;u;

As for cars, I personally don't know much I'd enjoy them in TS4. They were fun in TS3 because of the openworld, but then at the same time having more travel options is fun. It'd make sense that Sims wouldn't go absolutely everywhere just by bicycle (or broomstick :P).
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I don't believe we're going to get fully functioning, driving-down-the-road cars. They'll just be something to click on, select the travel option and the sim(s) might sit in them before going to the map screen. If they aren't willing to edit old worlds to add swimming to bodies of water, they sure aren't going to go back and re-design them for cars. And it would be ridiculous to be confined to one world for driving, and maybe future worlds (which would limit creativity for world design if they all -need- roads from then on).

Probably get some garage stuff to pretty up our homes, and some parking spaces for the cars to spawn in for community lots (or they'll just go into our Sims pockets!). I'm definitely not hoping for anything more as I don't want to be very disappointed! If anything they'll just be something to sink simoleons into.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    I don't believe we're going to get fully functioning, driving-down-the-road cars. They'll just be something to click on, select the travel option and the sim(s) might sit in them before going to the map screen.
    I'd be up for this. Sometimes, my game decides to take an infinity amount of time loading the world map, while the Sims who is supposed to leave for said destination runs around doing whatever they want while I can't control anything. Entrapping them in a car or getting them off the lot would do wonders. We'd likely never get friendly Sims coming to pick your Sims up like in earlier games.
    Probably get some garage stuff to pretty up our homes, and some parking spaces for the cars to spawn in for community lots (or they'll just go into our Sims pockets!). I'm definitely not hoping for anything more as I don't want to be very disappointed! If anything they'll just be something to sink simoleons into.
    Some toolshelves, oil canisters and a table made out of tires. Also not forgetting all the stuff a placeable car could do for your homeless Sim. A place to sit and eat your food, sleep in, a mechanic skill (complete with a career as a repairman in a carshop), sit and talk, listen to music and woohoo in.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I think they have given hints for cars, but have no idea how they are planning on implementing them. But hey, I never thought they would be able to make it where we had to have ingredients to make a meal too, but they did it in the form of a challenge.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I think they have given hints for cars, but have no idea how they are planning on implementing them. But hey, I never thought they would be able to make it where we had to have ingredients to make a meal too, but they did it in the form of a challenge.

Yeah, the way I see it there are different ways they could do it:

Car as a decorative item: The car is a stationary object, sims can go to the car, get in it and then it takes you to the map screen.

Car as a gameplay item: The car is an animated object kinda like the spaceship, sims can go to the car, get in it and then it shows an animation where it drives away, it could drive away from the lot where they parked it or when the sim gets in the car it spawns outside the lot and then it shows an animation where it drives off, for example when sims are going to work. The problem with worlds not having any roads could be solved with the car fading away during the animation.

Car as a gameplay and travel item
    : Same functions as the gameplay item but the team also adds routing for worlds that have roads, sims will get into the car and then they will drive to a destination in the neighborhood. much faster than it would take to use a bike, then they will stop and get out and either walk or use the bike to get to where they need to go.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    There may be cars in future...but I don't think those cars are normal as we think...
    Maybe the cars are looking and functioning like the Hovercar in Dragon Ball...you can make the cars to fly and put them in the capsules after using...
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I so still want my sims to have a flying DeLorean, K.I.T.T, The General Lee & playable SpeedRods.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited August 2021
    I like cars, but it seems to me that the developers don't, and have been telling us so for a long time by the way the worlds are designed. It's not just that some neighbourhoods don't have accessible roads for cars to drive on, even the ones that are in the game are often blocked off by barricades and other non-interactive obstacles, seemingly for no other reason than to tell us that cars aren't supposed to be driving there.

Granted, sims aren't usually able to walk past those obstacles anyway, because they double as visible borders of the accessible map. But realistically, wouldn't it look weird for a car to be parked on a lot surrounded by blocked roads? Even Henford-on-Bagley has at least two that I've seen, and while this is really just a visual issue that wouldn't affect gameplay in any way, I doubt that the developers would deliberately implement it in the newest world to date if they were currently working on usable cars...

But those are just my doubts. I have been pleasantly surprised before, maybe I will be again.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm pretty done with people cancelling cars/motorcycles just because they wouldn't work in every existing neighborhood

we have plenty roads in the game and being undriveable on some island off lot isn't gonna be deal breaker for me

as long as we have racing objects to place on any lot and all worlds that do have driving roads are driveable

then i see no reason why we couldn't have sims putting the car in their bottomless purse from where they can insert it on road of choice and climb in or just plop it on lot of choice to use it on lot

also there is tons of things to do with cars that dont even require a road

also even if all that was deal breaker we could still have flying cars and motorcycles

or yes, our boi torch would also be lovely to ride
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I use to not care for cars but after hearing all the possible gameplay opportunities from simmers I would love to have then. Now when I play I find myself thinking about all the ways I could have used cars. Like my rich celebrity taking his date to a fancy restaurant. I wanted to just see them get in his Lamborghini or limo and drive off but they had to either run or bike home😬😬😬😬 just killed the vibe lol. Would also love to fix them up. I don't see no roads really being a problem because it's a closed world. Just drive off over the dirt lol

I remember a leaker said they were coming. Plus I think they're coming anyway. There's no reason not to. Tons of people want them and ts2 (a closed world) had them and it worked out just fine.
    Plus sims think about red cars. I always took that as a hint. Just like they thought about bunk beds. 👀
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    edited August 2021
    But sure in Sims 2 they couldn’t really go anywhere either could they? I have a feeling Sims 4 will meet in the middle.

Honestly, I'd settle even for the TS2 version of cars. It wasn't something I even thought I wanted at first, but for some of my families, it ended up being a really essential rite of passage for one of the parents to teach the kids how to build/repair a car. There were other features I ended up liking as well, but that was the most important one.
    Simmingal wrote: »

This, exactly.

Anyway, even if they disappear from the edge of a lot or the neighborhood in their car, that's no worse than what we have now, where they disappear on foot, and as others have said above, would at least give you more options. Maybe your San Myshuno sims do walk to work or to the subway, or your suburban kids to their neighborhood school.* But maybe your wealthy sim takes a fancy car out to eat, or your fresh out of university sim drives an old clunker to work. I even miss the taxis, though it might be funny to update that with the sims version of an Uber/Lyft driver. Shoot, maybe they could even add gigs for that.

*I also wish they would bring back the school bus. I loved that TS3 had the option to either finish home work or socialize on the bus. Obviously we don't have an open world in TS4, but maybe if we had the school bus, we could have three options when you click on it: take bus to school, finish homework on way to school, or hang out with friends. Then instead of seeing a completion bar or wheel, when the kid arrives at school, they would either get an instant boost to social or the homework would just be completed (if they had done a certain percentage of it already, say 80% or something, so it's not too easy of a substitute for doing it the night before). It could also be like previous iterations of the game, where instead of taking the bus, you could click on the sim or the ground to "walk to school."
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm pretty done with people cancelling cars/motorcycles just because they wouldn't work in every existing neighborhood

we have plenty roads in the game and being undriveable on some island off lot isn't gonna be deal breaker for me

as long as we have racing objects to place on any lot and all worlds that do have driving roads are driveable

then i see no reason why we couldn't have sims putting the car in their bottomless purse from where they can insert it on road of choice and climb in or just plop it on lot of choice to use it on lot

also even if all that was deal breaker we could still have flying cars and motorcycles

or yes, our boi torch would also be lovely to ride

There are also lots in real life where driving on to it isnt realistic. My partner has an uncle who lives on a remote island. You have to take a float plane or a boat to get there. We cant visit him because we drive everywhere, he visits us.

The people who say all lots must be drivable are the same as the ones who think open world is vital for cars. They dont have much life experience lol
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    If they add cars, I hope they give Vlad a vintage type car.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2021
    crocobaura wrote: »

or perhaps....Vladmobile? :relieved:
    tbh it should probably be that car they use for funeral services cause he (or his relative) used to make coffins so perhaps they also offered funeral services
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

or perhaps....Vladmobile? :relieved:
    tbh it should probably be that car they use for funeral services cause he (or his relative) used to make coffins so perhaps they also offered funeral services

Oh, a hearse! Lol, can't see Vlas as the undertaker type. More like old fashioned, like older gentlemen are and he would have a car that was fantastic when he was younger.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    This exactly. One of the kind of crucial things a car needs to work, is a road, and half the worlds don't have roads so where are they expected to drive? I don't understand why people always overlook that because it's a pretty obvious issue, and I definitely don't want cars driving on the sand in Sulani if that's the solution for it

They could use cars in some worlds only that make sense for cars.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Exactly !! I wouldn't find it weird if there were no cars in Sulani for instance. Or San myshuno.
    Onverser wrote: »

They could use cars in some worlds only that make sense for cars.

• Options
    masatsimmasatsim Posts: 22 Member
    I think maybe they give us the "Can own cars" lot trait and we can see when building if there's possible to own a car if our sims live in that residential lot or travel by car if its a community lot. I can even see them adding parking spaces on San Myshuno.

I think a lot of us don't want the cars for traveling reasons only, but we want the gameplay that comes with cars, like repairing an old car, new woohoo, police and fire deparment cars/trucks, etc. Most simmers want more family gameplay and cars would be a perfect opportunity to bring it.