Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you use the pre-built rooms?

I use them pretty frequently. It's cute. It's nice. It's convenient. Why not?

I have never really downloaded a custom room before off the Gallery, because most of the Gallery items will probably be incompatible for my game configuration. I mean, the game will run the Lot, but too many stuff will be missing. So, I wind up not using any Gallery items at all. Instead, I just use the pre-built rooms in the game itself.

I don't get why people complain about Maxis builds and styles; Maxis lots and homes look fine to me, and I use them more often because they are at least accessible offline, and they look decent.

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I never use them. I think they're cute, but when I'm building a house, I have my own plan in mind, and these rooms simply don't fit...
    I've made a couple for the gallery though, because I like decorating. But I haven't used them in my own builds either. :D
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    Never.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    I have used them, but three times in seven years tops. I save rooms I built myself to put down later, but it just isn't as easy to use the pre-built Maxis ones. They are like Maxis builds in the fact that I am always having to change things, sometimes serious things like walls and doors, so why not just do it from scratch anyway?

It is certainly possible to make a house with them, I've done it, but using them with no editing sounds like a challenge.

This being said, I know people that do use them and they do give players shortcuts to pack content, so I definitely want them to keep being made (and well). It just is not worth it to me to force them in.
  • Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    I'm not much of a builder so I use them a lot. I've built whole houses out of them on numerous occasions. Some turn out kind of weird but others have been fine. I actually am not looking for perfection in either sims or houses in the game. Imperfection is more interesting to me so I embrace it.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I don't place them much but sometimes when I don't have inspiration to furnish a room I look at them. I mainly use them to find matching styles of furniture or a set. I really like that I just have to click on a particular piece of furniture in the room preview to grab it, no need to search in the BB catalogue.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Never used them, I have my own prebuilt rooms in my library of my gallery. But never the ones in build mode.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I used them for my first legacy when I built what I started calling “nightmare house.” I’m not a builder, so whenever the family had the cash and needed an additional room, I’d pop in a pre-built room. I decided I’d keep track of all the completed careers by adding in the career room once a sim unlocked it. The result was a maze of long hallways with random, but nice rooms; it earned that nightmare designation by being a pain to move through. The rooms on their own looked nice and saved me a lot of time furnishing things.

Now I just download whole builds off the gallery so I don’t need to use individual rooms. They’d be more useful to me for remodeling purposes if I could tell how big a room would be (and where the windows/doors are) before I tried to place it somewhere it won’t fit right. I’ve always preferred the style of the individual rooms over the maxis premade houses; maybe it’s just the exteriors I don’t care for.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have used the Maxis-built rooms three times in all the time I've been playing the game.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I haven't used any since the first couple of days I after I got the game. Playing around with them at that time showed me that they're a waste of my time. I invariably changed so much about them to better suit my tastes that I was better off designing my own rooms in the first place. And that was that.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    edited August 2021
    I’ve never used them. When I build I usually have something specific in mind that will suit my sims. I rarely use any Maxis build without changing it so using the pre-built rooms sounds like it would be too much work for me.

I have made a few of my own and uploaded them to the gallery, though. That usually happens when I furnish a room and really like it but I don’t want to upload the whole house.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm not a builder but that's my next project when I need a new home - download a shell and furnish it with premade rooms. I'm fed up searching for custom-made lots on the gallery that use packs I don't have.
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Never. And actually I hardly use rooms from the gallery too to think of it.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Only for playtesting. That means very rarely.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    Never, I never saw the point to the feature even.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I've never used the ones that came with the game, but I've used pre-built rooms I've built to incorporate into other houses. Some of my buildings re frankenmansions. :lol:
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I use the styled rooms quite frequently, when I want to do something quickly, but I don't place the actual room. I just pick a room that comes closest to what I want and then I grab the wallpaper and flooring and a few items and place them how I see fit. Then I change a few things around and add stuff. That way I can furnish a bathroom or kids room in a few minutes if I don't have the inspiration at that moment to come up with a whole deco scheme of my own.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2021
    Well I wind up not using anything prebuilt much because i prefer to obsess over building everything myself for my own needs

but i think rooms also have the added problem of being different shapes and not fitting into every house the same so like even if i find them cute it doesn't often sync with rest of my build
    I don't get why people complain about Maxis builds and styles; Maxis lots and homes look fine to me, and I use them more often because they are at least accessible offline, and they look decent.

I know its probably unpopular opinion but I'm actually kind of annoyed with gamechanger builds we get in recent packs

I would much rather have maxis builds
    yes they were not perfect and yes they were weird at times

but I liked that because it gave me inspiration, info on the sims living there and i could easily modify and keep some elements of house cause they were not mega detailed

but with gamechanger ones its all too complete too decorated and complicated and yet i feel it misses on sims living there and their personalities

anyway i guess this is not big issue cause i can always just bulldoze and build whatever i want but it just feels bit sad
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2021
    I personally never use them. But my daughter did when she started to play the Sims, while my son directly started building rooms from scratch.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I used them when I first started playing and thought they were handy. But I haven't used them since, just prefer to make my own if I'm already building anyway.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Never ever used them, I actually don't even remember they exist.

I build my lot first and then furnish it. I normally know exactly what size room and layout of my house I'm going for and these typically don't fit. But, I do like the idea of "copying" the design (ie: furniture, clutter, walls/floors, etc) to make decorate it more quickly. Maybe I should try that the next time I'm in the game.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I haven’t found them useful except in basements. I’ve lazily added a bed and bath for a butler down there where the shape doesn’t matter.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    A lot of people in this thread sound like the wouldn't touch a styled room with a ten-foot pole, which is fine, but I just want to show why I use them. In this case I used one of the styled rooms added with Seasons, just grabing items, wallpaper and flooring and it took less than 5 minutes to throw this together. I won't claim it's very original or the best bathroom ever, but it looks much nicer than before. If this was one of my Sims' homes, I would add some finishing touches, but this is just an example.

OHR3FnO.jpg
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I never use them. I have fairly standardized floorplans for my sims' houses and the rooms in them. Bedrooms, workout rooms, kitchens, bathrooms...they're pretty much mixed and matched and furnished as my sims need new objects for whatever career/aspiration the items are germane to.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I use them now and then; there are a couple of kitchens and bathrooms I've used more than once. I used them a fair bit when I first started playing last year while I got a handle on building and I found them quite useful. Mostly I'd put them down and then move them around till I found a whole-house configuration I liked. Then it's remove walls and reshape rooms time. I almost never just put them down without doing some kind of fiddling with them. They are very good if you just want a furnished room to plop down, and sometimes I just yank furniture out of them so I have a certain look without searching. They work quite well if you just want something in a hurry, especially for a house of sims you don't intend to play much.