Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play with Autonomy on or off?

How does everyone play their Sims? Auto on or off? When I leave Autonomy on I have to constantly correct the Sim's actions. Ill be cleaning the sheds and she will do that and then automatically go to the radio to dance. Im constantly having to redirect them. How do you all play? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited August 2021
    Unless I intend to use pose player or want them to stay still always with the autonomy on. Of course it annoys me sometimes, but I prefer it to seeing my sims stand and do nothing, especially when I play with more than two sims.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited August 2021
    Autonomy on, definitely.
    I wouldn't even play Sims if there were no autonomy. It would be like playing with dolls and I'm done with playing them already, I'm in my 50's.
    I hate micromanaging Sims and I always try to avoid it as much as possible.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Autonomy on the highest setting it will go, always. I like for my sims to show some personality by doing things on their own.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Autonomy on. I generally play a full household. If they cannot meet some basic needs on their own, it would be pretty miserable. Basically a uni run all the time.

I have to correct actions as well, but locked doors help (most of the time, depending on how odd the routing wants to be). Autonomy more or less always outweighs having to constantly micromanage every action of eight Sims.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I leave it on but use mods to fix the obsessives behaviors.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    ON! One of my biggest pet peeves that makes me want to tear my hair out is when a sim just stands in place. It destroys every last inkling of enjoyment of the game when they do that!
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Definitely on. I dislike having to micro manage them. I wish they are more intelligent and take the initiative to do more on their own based on their traits, interests, needs and mood.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    On, but because of the glitchy stairs I turned it off. But I did remove the stairs so I will try with it on again. When i play multiple sims, I usually focus on one sim a sim day and let the other sims do what they want.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Always off and in fact, I was very surprised when I joined the community in ca. 2013 and learned that I was in the minority.

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2021
    Full Autonomy On! I don't like to micromanage, to me that's just like being in Second Life. In Second Life your avatar does absolutely nothing until you control it to do something, it will literally just stand in the place you stopped controlling it. That's not a game to me.

I want to watch my sims and see what they want to do, how they're feeling, etc. Now just because I have autonomy on, doesn't mean I don't cancel out things that I don't want them to be doing, and I also simply don't put interactive objects in their house that they're obsessed with. I almost never, ever have a stereo or radio in the houses, if they want to dance .... I'll take them to the bar. If they need to use a computer, I take them to a library or internet cafe. They need some fitness? .... off to the gym they go. Now if I could only release the stoooopid phone from their appendages! LOL
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I play with autonomy off for selected Sims. It saves time needed to correct their actions, with full autonomy on my game is running too wild. I used to play with full autonomy before, but I quickly realized that they will never do anything important or achieve anything without my input. I leave autonomy on for Sims I currently not control because I like when sometimes they surprise me with unexpected kiss or prepare coffee in the morning. Autonomy on is also a Pandora box, because it shows how generic and illogical Sims behavior can be (dislikes mischief, still dead set on doing mischief interactions). I play make-believe that they have independent minds and autonomy is my chief enemy here, lol.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Fully on. I was a bit peeved today when I lost a toddler due to neglect for the first time ever though because I left them alone.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I leave it fully on, but micromanage them too. I like some surprises and new ideas, but I also like control. Muahahaha. 🦹‍♀️
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Fully off. I can't stand when sims do things that go against their personality I imagined for them. The only thing I wish is that we could select autonomy for a certain number of sims because I like big households and want some activity in the background but it's like all or nothing. The only way I solve this is my using a roommates mod to add as many roomates as I want. Makes it feel lively while still having my main sims under my control.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Mostly ON. I only recently started to turn it off on occasions but generally like to keep it on. My sims feel more alive when they do things on their own. I only turn it off when I have a toddler in the household and family members are constantly interrupting actions to look after the toddler. The other occasion is when I want to create pictures with pose player. ButI other than those situations I like it on.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    currently off. Use to play with it on, I miss sims being able to take care of themselves, But I was greatly annoyed when my characters weren't behaving the way I intended, so It's off. Maybe when they start behaving again I will.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Off only for played sims, and for the rest of the household it's on. I don't want them starving/peeing themselves to death but I don't want to fight them about orders/commands.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited August 2021
    I would be bored with most of my families if they all were waiting for my directions. So I play with auto on, but pause the game often to keep track. This works even for 8 sims households, parts of the day I don't even pause them, depending on if they all are home or not. I admit I occasionally cheat their needs, say when entering a new house during the night finding that they are all hungry and cooking/grilling, or if I'm arranging something special to happen and my plans get ruined because of very full bladder etc. It's find taking care of their bladder needs, but I rarely let it stop me from enjoying the more interesting assets of this game :) .

Yeah - free will is off for actively played sim.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    On for me. I love playing families some larger than others its nice to know they will somewhat take care of themselves why u am focused on one and do other things
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I play with autonomy on, reduces the amount of clicking that I have to do.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Off only for played sims, and for the rest of the household it's on. I don't want them starving/peeing themselves to death but I don't want to fight them about orders/commands.

^ this
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    BlueR0se wrote: »

^ this

Same, I often turn it off for the sim I am playing and let the rest of the house do what they want. I get tired of fighting auto queued actions on my played sim that make no sense.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    On I want my Sims to irritate me and improve the stories, I only play off when it is for example a board meeting in the Landgraab company since it is practically impossible to keep Sims sitting around a table with autonomy on
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Autonomy on, definitely.
    its what makes the sims fun for me
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    Off for the selected Sim, on full for everyone else but I still do a lot of micromanaging.