Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: A Disappointment?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    A little disappointed that my Fairies & Wolfies are still missing in Sims 4. :'( Also, I still want Spiral Stairs to come to Sims 4. :( However, I do love my Windenburg, Henford, Forgotten Hollow & Glimmerbrook. <3 I also love my Paranormal play & the very beautiful Oasis Courtyard. B)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    After seven years and possibly several more years of content to come I've learned to accept TS4 for what it is instead of brooding about what went wrong and why and fixated on features from TS2 and TS3. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to play all the previous versions but I'm really having fun with TS4. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Same here. I'm not a "deep" player though. It's just a pleasant pastime whilst watching TV or video channels for me now.

Like everything in my life I get put off by people being much more creative than me and give up trying to impress.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    After seven years and possibly several more years of content to come I've learned to accept TS4 for what it is instead of brooding about what went wrong and why and fixated on features from TS2 and TS3. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to play all the previous versions but I'm really having fun with TS4. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

That's wonderful. I still have TS2 and still enjoy the drama when I do play it from time to time. It's a lot of fun even after seventeen years. I also have TS1 and TS3 installed on my old Win.7 pc. I sometimes drag it out and play those. But what I've not done is revisit TS4 in quite a few years. That's sad, and waiting to see what they do with it in case I think it's worth reinstalling because I did spend quite a bit on it before stopping. (But hoping for a more dramatic TS5 because I would love a new game). The original is even harder to play with all the Betty and Bob drama, and Mortimer is the worst Sim ever, lol, he is so hateful to my Sims. I would guess that game has the most drama of all of them if I compare how easy the games have become over the years. Sims were hard to get along in TS1.

If I was to install an old Sim game, it sure enough won't be Sims 4 as it does not feel like the others. I still have the older versions still installed on one of my systems but Sims 2 I have an problem with the black box when an sim walks.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Goldmoldar, I had that problem before with black square. I had found an answer online that worked for me. Go into game options and then graphics/performance options. Change shadow details from high to medium. Hope it helps! I was so happy to finally get rid of that black square!
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    edited September 2021
    @maggiemae8135 , mod I linked fixes it and other stuff too :) And you can keep stuff in details at high :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Thanks to both of you as I could not enjoy Sims 2 because of it. Luckily for me I saved all my Sims 2 items and saves on DVDs, will be installing it this weekend on the current system I am using. <3
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I've been enjoying my vanilla Sims 4 since I bought it back in 2015. I've never used any mods.
    I do admit that the recent packs haven't been as good as they used to (except Cottage Living), but the game overall is still very much fun for me.
  • Options
    OwaSimOwaSim Posts: 2 New Member
    Really wanted to make a separate topic but sims forum rules are dumb so I have to post in a topic at least somewhat sharing my thoughts. Sims 4 is bad for many reasons, especially on console, but I didn't come to rant. I legitimately hate that time management is just completely unimmersive trash on consoles(since we don't get mods) and haven't touched the game in years because I grew tired of how fast a day ends and how little time you really get to do anything. Ik this isnt a new issue on consoles so I was wondering if they added SOMETHING to help with this. If not, thanks for answering and sadly I'll have to wait until sims 5.
  • Options
    PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    I have really struggled with the Sims franchise until recently. I've been playing since I was 16 in 2000 (yep I'm old now). I recently tried to play the Sims 2 again but it's been so long, I can't even remember how to play and I just can't get used to the graphics, yet I used to play it obsessively! Sims 3, there is so much I love about that game but the text is tiny as is the UI and it bugs me. Then the Sims 4, I love the graphics but really struggled to stay interested in gameplay.

Just a few weeks ago, I found a blogger who plays like me, autonomy based, whims, hands off basically and she had a huge list of mods she uses which has totally changed the Sims 4 for me. I'm actually about to move on to the fifth generation in my legacy, having never got passed gen 2 before without getting bored.

I guess in terms of the Sims 4 being disappointing, aside from the asthetics which I love, yes it has been but thankfully the many wonderful mods out there (and my own) have made it the current game for me.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm disappointed to read so many times how many mods are needed to make TS4 'fun'. Or to fix reoccurring bugs that seem to come back over and over. I'm disappointed with how they have nerfed things like how long it takes to have a meal with the family (ten seconds) and or how they nerfed other things, too. I'm disappointed the vanilla game has so many problems that there is literally a mod to fix just about anything instead of Maxis.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm disappointed to read so many times how many mods are needed to make TS4 'fun'. Or to fix reoccurring bugs that seem to come back over and over. I'm disappointed with how they have nerfed things like how long it takes to have a meal with the family (ten seconds) and or how they nerfed other things, too. I'm disappointed the vanilla game has so many problems that there is literally a mod to fix just about anything instead of Maxis.

I agree with you as mods should not be used to fix what the developer are supposed to fix but it is necessary as I look at how long it takes the developer to address them. Now mods that enhance or add what the developer could have is always welcome as long as it is done right.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    @GirlFromIpanema ...consoles, of course. I'm glad you enjoy the game as it is. It has many moments of pure enjoyment!! I'm just a whiner, never satisfied with my lot!

Seems like you were slapped down for saying it as it is and had to backpedal so now you're apologizing for criticizing. I think your criticisms were valid. Modders did ride to the rescue with great inventiveness, to overcome the limitations of Sims4 as primarily a dress-up dollhouse, with sims who will do whatever you want, with whomever, and accept it all with vapid grins. Good sims have no problem getting with evil sims. Evil sims only giggle maniacally once on a while, they never initiate any evil actions. Nothing really matters, and there are no limits to test because in the end, traits don't mean much except getting Inspired or Tense once in a while, but it all goes away if you stand next to a nice painting. The game is a puppet show for kiddies.

I do love Windenburg and feel a little intrigue about family history was built in, similar to but paler than, the intrigues of townies in sims3 and sims2 especially.

The music is also top tier, and so is the building. The graphic style is very cartoon, smooth, and plastic compared to Sims2 and Sims3 on highest graphic settings. It's astonishing to me that those old games look better up close on high graphic settings, than Sims4.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Rabellaka_SimmingRabellaka_Simming Posts: 46 Member
    I've only been playing for the last 3 months, after 6 years away from the game, because it had no content then. I love The Sims 2, and spent hundreds of hours on my royal kingdom and Legacy challenges. I had it heavily modded to make it into a medieval game. :D For The Sims 3, I didn't play it quite as much, as I had to have it heavily modded just to run. I couldn't save my game without the Nraas mods. I currently don't have any mods or CC in my Sims 4. I might get CAW when it comes out, but I don't feel like I need anything else yet, I'm still getting used to the 16 packs I either just got or never played over the years.