Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is The Sims 4?

thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
I believe one of the problems of The Sims 4 (and probably the franchise, in general) now is that it's already 7 years old, but it still hasn't fully decided whether it's a life simulation game (with real consequences as that of a "real" game) or a sandbox game (which is more like a tool for storytelling and freeform gameplay). This is one of the root causes of the issues that we are having right now in the game and many of its central mechanics.

While I think that it's (a bit of) both, it will never be balanced and settled in a way that caters to both playstyles equally. Hence the constant war between so many things like:
  • the intensity of the emotions to the gameplay (whether to make them stronger to really drive the gameplay or subtle to allow for freedom in storytelling);
  • the availability of gameplay options on almost everything (embracing gameplay mechanics versus having the freedom to turn them on/off);
  • and the unnecessary removal or addition of certain things that should've been added/left out in the first place for gameplay purposes (like the abrupt removal of vampire invasions because it was "too intrusive").

So what do you think? And, along with your choice, do you believe that it is the way The Sims 4 should be?
Post edited by thatpinkcoconut on

What is The Sims 4? 153 votes

Currently, The Sims 4 is more of a life simulation game.
4%
lisamwittEnkiSchmidtGodleyjeansLoveDesiSeashoreLiviaCoraline_029daisyxco 7 votes
Currently, The Sims 4 is more of a sandbox game.
33%
Goth583overonCamkatBreeNillarhaliusTheSpotted_CncisGibbs02pendragon1980haneulJeansooYautjagirlTorieKennziKaigeMiaSkywalkerAnthonydyertaydevHarukotyanbixtersSindocatironknight35 52 votes
Currently, The Sims 4 is a good blend of a life simulation and a sandbox game.
41%
Akl500PBluegaylebshag4lvGalacticGalIcewolfalan650111rudolphaSikoahGraceMelisendrebabajayneZorgaCaitxcatPaigeisin5cchant86luthienrisingMindofyDarkLady2788LizzychicagoPurpleSweetTartGlimmer50 63 votes
Currently, I'm dead inside.
20%
CK213Mstybl95jeepjeepcatIceyJPlayerSinger2010AnmirlafriendlysimmerssekojranagreydonnKhrisstyneFelicityphantasmkissAPottssherristar13catmando830DeKayScobreDoodlyDoofusMidnightAuraZiafar 31 votes

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. I’ve always described it both ways.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's one or the other. I believe that I made it clear that while it's both, it seems to lean more on one than the other. Which one? Up to who you ask. Hence, the poll.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Currently, The Sims 4 is more of a life simulation game.
    Definitely more life simulation, however, on the very easy side and poorly balanced. But the fact that it is easier to excel than fail, that the consequences aren't too bad and hardly ever occur even for a mediocre player, doesn't make the game something different.

As a sandbox/freeform player I need several mods to make Sims 4 work for me. A true sandbox game would be sandboxy without the need to introduce third party hacks.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Definitely sandbox. There's a heavy focus on "tell your own story" and using your imagination in 4. They give you a base with vague concepts and allow you to tell your own story from that, whilst in other games there was a lot more things that just happened and directed gameplay. In Sparkd they labelled their players as either storytellers, builders, or stylists and I think that's how they see their players - content is made to allow players to make their own stories, build and make sims
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I think the theme is life simulation and the style is sandbox. It’s both, with the exception of Journey to Batuu, which is neither.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    I think the theme is life simulation and the style is sandbox. It’s both, with the exception of Journey to Batuu, which is neither.

Oh, that's an interesting way to look at it.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    The game is supposed to be both. Sims 1, 2, and 3 were all a blend of life sim and sandbox. Sandbox only means you can play how you want without quests or linear play. The life sim part should just be about simulating life.

Sims 4 fails hard at simulating life. Easy examples of this are the walk-bys who should be at work or school show up. Someone posted a picture on Reddit the other day of a toddler assigned as a doctor. Adults call children in the game and invite them to go out. The cat calls to tell you they're sorry for your loss. Infants call to congratulate your ability to make a friend. None of those things would have ever happened in previous games. Sims 4 was designed to be a virtual chatroom with sims and houses. The game mechanics were added later and in under a year. That's why this game fails so hard to do the one job it has.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2021
    I would have voted: "Currently, Sims 4 is a virtual dollhouse" but that wasn't an option. Sims 4 was never meant to be a life simulator. They wanted it to be more like a realty TV show. What they failed to do is talk to a behaviorist of any kind which is why the interactions and reactions are not human-like. I could argue that it's too scripted to be a proper sandbox, but the scripted events are optional, even though they are a major part of the gameplay.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I will say it’s 70% building simulator and 30% life simulator.

My opinion is that the development priorities have so far been focused in the wrong places. Live mode is in desperate need of improvements but instead they just keep on adding more and more items to build mode, I hope this might change at some point in the future.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I never considered life simulator and sandbox to be opposits. The sims is both as far as I am concerned. To me it is a sandbox environment as in an environment without set goals where I can simulate virtual people's stories.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think this issue of identity crisis with The Sims 4 stems also from developers not really knowing themselves and being too afraid to implement challenge into the game, which is a characteristic of a life sim. I’ve been following Cottage Living a bit because farming/ranging is something I’ve wanted in this series since The Sims 2. And I think what the expansion is adding is awesome! It looks very impressive. However, if you notice, almost every bit of challenge is opt-in.

Foxes that could randomly come by to ravage your crops? Opt-in. Requiring us to have ingredients to cook dishes? Opt-in. In my opinion, these things and similar things to them should be opt-out, not opt-in. They should be on by default. And I think it matters because it’s a question of why would I go out of my way to make the game harder for myself? Perhaps someone could clarify for me because I haven’t really done too much research on it — is there any advantage for me manually making the game harder? Do I, the player, or my Sims get anything extra for those lot challenges?

Until they add those nuances into the game by default, I would say the game is more so set up like a drama simulator. But again, it’s been tough for The Sims 4 because the devs have given multiple different answers on what genre The Sims 4 is. I do know one claimed that it’s a time management game, which is kind of bland to me. It should always embrace being a life simulator above all else.
  • Options
    Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Personally I think it's both. Generally I'm not a story teller when I play the Sims. However I bought TS4 during the height of the pandemic last year. Through this time I've been virtually playing the same family, but they've created generations; cousins, aunties, uncles etc. In this sense (people may not agree) I feel like my game has sort of told it's own story with the way it's played out.
    Obviously I've given them basic story lines with careers etc, but the game has sort of taken on a life of it's own if that makes any sense?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2021
    It's a mix of a sandbox game and a life simulation game and the sims4 feels right now much more of a sandbox game. I think that there is too much focus on stuff, and not enough focus on gameplay. That's why I'm not sold on kits for example, the sims4 needed more development during all those years.

It's slowly getting better, but so, very slowly. I hope that they are looking into ways that they can add more gameplay when they are designing packs in the sims4 if they want this game to continue for many more years, otherwise the sims4 will just be a big dollhouse in the end and people are gonna feel no difference living in a house in britain or egypt because the gameplay is the same.
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Both, I think the core gameplay is life simulation, but has lots of tools to create your own story and such so its sandbox too
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm saying it seems more sandbox because of the emphasis on pretend play, but a lot of my favorite sandbox (or god game, if you prefer,) features are missing from previous entries. I feel something like say Sims 2 with quite robust life sim elements was fairly well balanced. There was difficulty, yeah, but it still felt like my sandbox because I had very detailed control over my Sims and their worlds. At the end of the day, I chose if and how they died.

Life Sims and Sandboxes are my favorite genres so, while I understand which debates you are referring to, I cannot really shake the feeling that it is not really a genre problem. More a playstyle problem. I play a number of other sandbox games, but I cannot really think of many that have players focusing on snapshot after snapshot of perfectly aligned positions and expressions.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    To me it most definitely leans more towards the sandboxy type game. You can imagine anything in your head and pretend it's happening. What it doesn't do is simulate RL, at least in my opinion. Life is not always rainbows and puppies, tragic and unexpected things (both good and bad) happen. In life, you decide what direction your life goes after those events. In TS4, nothing unexpected happens, unless you "force" it to happen. That's not a realistic simulation of how life is.

Does it have aspects of RL? Sure ...... you can get a job, get married, create a large legacy, split up, have babies, pets, and die. But except for aging and dying of old age, none of those things happen without the player directing it to happen. You don't see your neighbors living their life in this life simulation game ..... they're not outside mowing the lawn, raking leaves, shoveling snow, kids aren't setting up lemonade stands in front of their house, you don't kids riding their bikes, playing tag with each other or hopscotch on the sidewalk, you don't see your neighbors having a fight on the front lawn, nobody is getting arrested, you don't see people moving in and moving out, nobody is in their backyards BBQ'ing or having graduation parties or baby showers. There aren't even graveyards or funerals. None of these things happen unless you, the player, creates those scenarios.

But, TS4 is awesome for storytellers and builders tho, because they don't have to worry about the game intruding on the story line they have in their head and the team has given builders great tools to be creative with (within the limitations that they set, because we still are stuck in a world they decided which we can't edit or modify and we are still forced to live in only the apartments in the worlds they decided.)

Although I do love to build and redecorate, I also feel that the game lacks actual gameplay and unique activities that encourage you to explore the different locations and try out different activities, and possibly inspire you to create those new story lines you want to pursue. For example, why do we always get the exact same type of community lots? (Bar, Lounge, Library, Restaurant, Cafe, Nightclub). Why doesn't the team create new and different types of venues, like movie theaters, grocery stores, arcades, etc. that sims can go to? Yes, I know we can sort of make these things ourselves, but it would be nice to have them actually be an official functioning lot without having to make everything a bar or restaurant to encourage NPCs to show up and actually use the stuff.

Instead they fill the world with a lot of fluff, create these beautiful environments that are nothing but something pretty to look at. Like they were so proud of the fact that they made interactions for the new town square buildings, seriously? My sim can "window shop", as in peek into a window, not actually shop, just "pretend" they are interested in what is inside. The store, is nothing but a dresser, your sim can change their clothes if you click on, why would I have my sim change or try on clothes in the middle of town? Are these different clothes than what is available in the dresser or closet at home?

No, the game doesn't simulate much life for me.

And I do agree with the others about how this version leans heavily into buld/buy (mostly buy because we hardly ever get new walls, floors, foundations), which I'm perfectly ok with that because decorating is one of my favorite things to do. But, it's mostly because this iteration does not inspire or excite me to actually play in live mode.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Honestly, both. But I do think some of the balancing of both themes is a bit off.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It’s a build simulator first and a safe space where we can all learn and grow second. (A Guru used the safe space analogy not me)

Sims 2 manages to balance life sim/sandbox perfectly. All of the previous sims games achieve a better balance. But they knew what they were and weren’t quite so woke and focused on looking good for shareholders.

Sims 4 is not a sandbox because it has checklists. So many checklists. It’s also without any significant consequence so it’s a very poor life simulator. The Sims has always been a game that has recognised players will explore failure states. The Sims Creator Will Wright acknowledged this- but the sims 4 fights you if you try and do anything negative. Anything perceived as negative is immediately squashed. I had a sim who recently cheated on his wife with five different women in front of her. One of whom was her sister. On paper it said she was mad as she had a negative sentiment but she was rolling whims to have more babies with him and she was automatically flirting with him. Her “anger” was always overridden by happy or inspired moodlets.
    I had to imagine she was angry at him and force her to fight with him. I don’t have to do that in the previous games. A life sim should be about all different parts of life, not just sunshine and rainbows and happiness all the time.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like it as is. I also think it wouldn't hurt to make the gameplay more challenging and/or to advertise packs as optional elements that make the game more challenging on purpose if you want an extra challenge (like vampires). And then make those packs really kinda hard.

In the beginning I felt that the better I got at playing the game, the more freedom I had to tell the story I wanted. The gameplay and sandbox help each other in that way. The only disadvantage is that it didn't take long to get good at the game.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2021
    eh this is kinda weird question
    I feel the answer is just don't separate these they should add to both equally.

storytelling is nothing without realism and realism is nothing without storytelling

and what comes to occults yes they should be a thing cause its a game and we can have more fun than in real life.

like sure i would love more negative happenings in my sims lives and sure it adds realism and storytelling so eh???
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    I don't know what The Sims 4 is anymore, but the light is dead inside me but I'm still moving.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Personally I think the "virtual dollhouse" thingy is a thing of the past, Sims Original is a good example to me. I believe it is going to be everything about the previous games, incorporating certain things which I think is a good idea.

For now, I like the direction the game is heading. My problem is I will have 39 packs installed on my computer and while it is still performing nicely, knock on wood, I'm not sure how many more I can load on...not including the soon to be released farm living pack. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sims was a life simulation game in sandbox mode. You could do whatever you wanted, but unexpected things happened, and there were a lot of little touches that just made it feel real. A child standing on dad's feet to dance together, setting the baby down somewhere when visiting a friend and not being able to leave the lot until you find it. Memories, you know?

Currently it is a sandbox game pretending to be life simulation. Whereas in previous versions, you could have a story in mind, then have it take twists and turns, in Sims 4, you have to imagine there's a story at all.

This is why I build. :(
    Post edited by phantasmkiss on
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I wouldn't say it's a "good" blend, but it works for me as a blend. I'd actually prefer a swing more toward the sandbox side.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Its supposed to be both, historically but at this point its sandbox
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.