Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the Inside Maxis Livestream HERE Tuesday, October 26th, @11 AM PT! 🎉

My Rating on the Sims games.

«1
Hello there simmers! I just wanted to leave my ratings on all the Sims games I have played. So here goes... The Sims (Sims 1), it was a good game, not bad all at for its time, it was fun, I mean it was the first Sims after all and what started the franchise, so thank you EA and Maxis for a master peice of a series. Sims 2, hmm, It wasn't bad but, I didn't really like it much myself, just felt like the Sim creator wasn't good at all, but I did kinda like that you could control your Sim yourself. Moving along. Sims 3, I liked the Sims 3, the Sim creator was nice in this one and the gameplay was good. Lots of options which made the game fun to play. and then Sims 4, of course is my most favriote of all, great Sims creator and lots of fun to be had in this one, not much else to say about it, just that its really great. and here's a honorable mention, The Urbz: Sims in the City, most likely one of the very first Sim games I played and I loved it as a kid, it was a lot of fun and is what got me into the Sims in the first place, I mean, now it isn't as fun since I am older but, still its got some good old memories, the sims creator in it wasn't really good but that didn't stop me from enjoying it, I liked the greetings and stuff that you could do in that game, it was interesting, I spent hours playing it on the GameCube. but anyways, my hands are tried from typing, so, last thing I am going to put is, Sims mobile app, which I just started playing yesterday, its not bad, its alright, good way to kill some time. So, yeah, that's my ratings on the Sims games, thank you, Sul Sul.

Comments

  • JohnTheSim96JohnTheSim96 Posts: 43 Member
    @shailaputrii Okay. Is this the wrong place to post this or something? If it needs to be taken down or moved, I'm ok with that.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 22,382 Member
    @JohnTheSim96 you posted in the correct forum. 🙂
    Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,323 Member
    I read it and agree with most of it. :) (never tried The Urbz, and my opinion of TS4 is quite... forum-inappropriate)
  • JohnTheSim96JohnTheSim96 Posts: 43 Member
    @simgirl1010 good to know :)
  • JohnTheSim96JohnTheSim96 Posts: 43 Member
    @Archivist I'm of age :) so I know what you mean.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Hello there simmers! I just wanted to leave my ratings on all the Sims games I have played. So here goes... The Sims (Sims 1), it was a good game, not bad all at for its time, it was fun, I mean it was the first Sims after all and what started the franchise, so thank you EA and Maxis for a master peice of a series. Sims 2, hmm, It wasn't bad but, I didn't really like it much myself, just felt like the Sim creator wasn't good at all, but I did kinda like that you could control your Sim yourself. Moving along. Sims 3, I liked the Sims 3, the Sim creator was nice in this one and the gameplay was good. Lots of options which made the game fun to play. and then Sims 4, of course is my most favriote of all, great Sims creator and lots of fun to be had in this one, not much else to say about it, just that its really great. and here's a honorable mention, The Urbz: Sims in the City, most likely one of the very first Sim games I played and I loved it as a kid, it was a lot of fun and is what got me into the Sims in the first place, I mean, now it isn't as fun since I am older but, still its got some good old memories, the sims creator in it wasn't really good but that didn't stop me from enjoying it, I liked the greetings and stuff that you could do in that game, it was interesting, I spent hours playing it on the GameCube. but anyways, my hands are tried from typing, so, last thing I am going to put is, Sims mobile app, which I just started playing yesterday, its not bad, its alright, good way to kill some time. So, yeah, that's my ratings on the Sims games, thank you, Sul Sul.

    Thank you for sharing. It’s always good to see how others started thier Sun journey.

    I’ve mainly played the PC game versions. I don’t know about GameCube etc.

    Sims 1 was a lot of fun. It started my Sims journey but there was no days of the week so you had to remember to skip work. The kids didn’t grow up (I think there was a way in Making Magic but they randomised skills points?). It was hard work making money to expand your house and without expansions often all my houses ended up with the same furniture 😂. I often purchased the kids bed for everyone as it was a step up from the basic hospital bed. 😂.

    Sims 2 was where I really started building and making my favourite TV characters and sets. I loved Pleasantview and Riverblossom Hills the best. Neighbourhood story and you could pick pictures to make a story. Seasons was the best pack for me as it added weather, gardening and fishing. You couldn’t change the family name lot without either marrying a Sim or moving them out, putting a Sim in and moving them back.
    Sims 2 has the highest number of Sims drowned in the pool! 😂😂😂.

    Sims 3 was great. 😊🎉🎉🎉. The graphics were smoother. Plus I was able to play just the base game for a year before I could upgrade my computer. Base game had most careers, venues, cars, gardening and fishing. The colour wheel, create a style, The only downside was you couldn’t select the house you wanted to play the next time you went in. You had to go via your last save as the whole town was saved each file. There’s also the glitch where everyone gets a car. As I play rotational I have to keep checking inventory and deleting new vehicles!
    Rarely did I get rid of any Sims and it was a few years before I saw the Grim Reaper on one of my lots. There was his statue at the graveyard. Ageing was off so most of my Sims were around ages.

    Sims 4 has the potential to be excellent. 😎. Most worlds are visually stunning 😊. It’s like total wow. I would love to go to places like Willow Creek, Windenburg etc.
    So rich in detail and very serene. 4 has the best build mode in my opinion. I love building so much and you can move an entire house over.
    The management of all Sims is super easy even townies can be edited or deleted.
    It’s the gameplay, glitches and lack of stuff that let it down. I would struggle with just the base game. Also I feel there’s too much set dressing. I want to be able to interact with the world. I would love the military base in StrangerVille to be a lot not just something on the map.
    I have high turnover of Sims again, many end up in the pool. 😂😂😂.

    Sims Freeplay became so repetitive 🙄 and didn’t last long.

    Sims Mobile is too task oriented for me. There’s no freedom mode and relationship interactions are tied to the story you pick. It’s good but I don’t often play it.





    What will the Sanctuary kit be like? 👀 🤔🦅
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,075 Member
    edited July 3
    I have to give TS4 a D because from TS1 to TS4 motives no longer matter. It's how I Iearned how to play. It is what motivates the player do things or buy things for the Sim and do certain things so the Sim can stay alive and maintain health and happiness after all. But in TS4 all this takes a backseat to emotions. The emotions in TS4 don't make any sense in regard to motives. If I'm a very sad sack, (emotionally not motives) how can I have fun? or how can my fun be full..if I'm horribly sad? See none of TS4 makes sense at all because they can.

    Those things did matter in the first and second games..not so much in TS3 though just like TS4. I understand why some felt TS1 was so hard because indeed it was. It was a chore to keep a Sim's motives high and to keep them alive. The point of the game.

    However, this was relaxed slightly in TS2 which was much more fun this is true, because better food (different dishes not just meal or quick meal anymore) kept hunger motive high for a longer and filled faster etc. But when TS3 and TS4 came along, Sims could sneak imaginary food from their rear pockets even if a player was trying to keep them from eating or even to starve..no such luck.

    One time in TS3 I removed every thing in a house, but those Sims filled a motive (can't remember which one it was) by looking out the window. So, I removed the windows. lol It took weeks to see them suffer and or even care and or die. TS4 is even worse or rather easy peasy in that regard.

    I can't understand why let a Sim do some fun thing or use a fun object if fun is already full. Does that make sense? Not to me. It's like just going through motions and spitting in the wind if it doesn't really matter.

    Stuff like the lack of correlation and depth is why TS4 gets a D from me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited July 3
    Thanks for sharing! Never had the honor of playing sims 1. Too little for concrete memories of sims 2. I would actually say I "started" with ts4. Because by then I was old enough to have a good PC and a good understanding of the game. When I played ts3 back in the day there were crashes and issues I couldn't understand why or how to fix it so I gave up. But I knew I loved it. What little I did manage to play was amazing. Loved the freedom.
    Fast foward to present I brought ts3 again and really enjoyed it. It's a really great game with so many endless options but problems as well.

    However, my number one love is ts4. I had to come back to it. As many things that's It's missing compared to ts3, there are just so many things that I personally love about it. I can play and totally get lost in it. It runs so smooth and I always have a blast🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,255 Member
    The only Sims game that I played outside of the main series was Sims Medieval. I liked it and probably should have played it more. Like TS1, children didn't age so it did not have legacy gameplay. It was well-done though.

    I'll just add my experience:

    TS1 - This was the foundation of the game. I really enjoyed Superstar and kept playing it alongside TS2. Some of the classic over the top stuff about it was iconic. I also remember that it was a bit more limited. Children didn't age. I had a whole lot of fun though mostly with roommates getting into antics. I mostly learned about this game by watching others play it and playing someone else's tutorial. Iconic game.

    TS2 - This was a classic gaming experience as well. I know a lot of people really liked the lore in it. I experienced all of that but mainly played the game with a nuclear family I created. I should probably bring them back. At that time, I played them through as they earned progressively more money and got rich. The kids were geniuses, got into private schools and went to university. There were a lot of experiences in this game. I also remember a few random deaths such as when someone was actually struck by lightning in the shower and burnt up. I had forgotten to put a roof on it and the mother died within the first day in the game for that household. Generally, I enjoyed TS2. It had longer loading screens so going downtown was a big deal.

    TS3 - I liked this game and played it a lot in several phases. I mainly played with one family in one world per save. I didn't like trying to play rotationally in it when sims I wasn't playing would change a lot without me. This meant that I kept all of the sims I wanted to play in a save in one household. My usual style was to have a large family in one house and follow them all over. I nearly went back to TS3 when I decided to try TS4. What I wasn't crazy about in TS3 was that it was a little bit less flexible. Also, I ran into some major bugs that sometimes broke the save I was playing. I am pretty sure that one computer I played it on melted down. That said, I had a great time with it. I think I mentioned that at one point, I ran a horse farm and really enjoyed it. There was a lot of depth to the game so if you liked what you had set up, it was good. I don't bash anyone for liking it.

    TS4 - I have actually liked this version since I started playing it and found that I could make a really fun game with it. There are a lot of criticisms and I share some. It has gotten buggy and needs those bug repairs. It also needs "more to do". Some of the packs lacked depth and could have had more to cover their themes better. While I've had a lot of fun in the worlds, there can be limitations. I like the scenery in the background but it does mean that you need to match your play to it. If you wish you could play that beautiful decorative neighbor's house, right now, you can't. If a world is a little too small, you can't really do anything about it. I think they are improving the game now but it has taken a while and I agree that it was released in kind of a thin state. The gallery is cool but some of the downloads can be glitchy or not suitable for play. I have a lot of fun with it and think that sometimes it is overly criticized. Some of the packs have been really fun and there are times that I say, "Wow, this is really great." You're left kind of feeling like there is always more to do or like it needs more to make it interesting.

    As mentioned, I think they are improving TS4. Recently, I've noticed more townies talking and interacting with each other for example which is an improvement. I think it's finally getting to a more decent state especially if they can fix the bugs such as the excessive clay-spawning, the restaurant gameplay such as bugs while eating as a diner and the cleaning up of dishes correctly, the accuracy of pizza delivery which sometimes varies, to name a few. I'd like to see it be more interesting before they move on.

    TS5 would really need to combine the best of everything and be a flexible game that still allows me to play how I want to get my interest. I'm likely to wait a while whenever it comes out if I am interested at all. I don't want to go paint-by-numbers through the same types of packs. I'm a little concerned that so many players are so different that it's a bit hard to appeal to all of us. Sometimes things that I've enjoyed have been bashed by other groups of players, so I get concerned that some new format of the game would not actually interest me. Most of all, I wouldn't move on for the sake of moving on. Though I know they probably won't, I'd be happier if they keep servicing TS4 whenever they add the next version.

    If they want to remake a new version of Sims Medieval with aging and genetics, I would be completely interested in that if I can play in the independent/open-ended Sims style as a single player alone. I could keep playing my current game and go to a new Medieval/historic version.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 3,466 Member
    I began with Sims 1 on day 1 and not stopped since. That game was the pioneer, the foundation layer that all following Sims games build on. It was incredible for it's day and opened up new worlds of game play, story creation, and building both structures and sims. It was open season on making your own worlds and the residents. The closest other game for me was "Neverwinter Nights", largely because that game shipped with the developers'' tool set. What the company could do, we could do, and often better. Back to TS1, I give it a solid B.

    TS2 is my hands-down favourite! A solid A because it not only took what TS1 gave us and took it to unimaginable heights, but it gave -and still gives - solid game play, super easy rotational play, and superb story telling capability (including inter-locking various households if desired). For me it has aged well, including the graphics, and I can do many things that TS4 still can't 7 years in (looking at you, small worlds with few lots and no water tool). It's CC and mod friendly (at least for me), Body Shop is an in-game CC maker, and its DLC actually added core capability and played well together. Not nearly as buggy as 4, either.

    TS3 for me is a C+, not that it is bad, but it didn't have key elements for my style of play. Gone were the household albums for one's screen shots, true rotational play within a 'world', and sims that actually looked different. Yes, there are a lot of plusses and increased/new capabilities (open world is great), but key elements are gone.

    TS4 has over time worked its way up from C- to B status. On the plus side: stunningly beautiful, greatly expanded CAS & build mode, and once one accepts its limitations reasonably fun to play if a bit shallow in comparison. On the negative: too much of the worlds are cosmetic back-drop that can be neither interacted or tinkered with, too many missed opportunities (example: why can't my sim take one of those B.Bay fishing boats out to sea to fish/go lobstering, bring the catch back to the fish plant that's right there by the piers, and sell it? Or use the boat for doing whale-watching trips, or harbour tours?) The veterans know the drill - the bug & glitch fest, dumb sims, shallow game play, outfit issues, broken careers, and so on. This game has the potential to be the best ever, but falls flat.
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 79 Member
    The Sims 1 for me was mostly about creating houses. I did play the gameplay and my favourite expansion packs from The Sims 1 would have to be Makin' Magic and Vacation. In my opinion, I'm a little disappointed with the follow up witches in the various different versions and packs. The only one that seemed to match it would be the one from The Sims 3 Supernatural. I felt like they did quite a lot in comparison to the versions of witches, etc, in Sims 2 and Sims 4. They felt a little bit flat and lacking in those versions.

    The Sims 2 I had a lot of happy memories playing with friends in this game. I liked the fact that you had to go shopping for groceries and clothes. The University pack out of this had to be my favourite and overall, really enjoyed the University experience in this version.

    The Sims 3 I've played on this version for a long time although I didn't actually own all of the expansion packs or mini packs. I enjoyed the realism of the Sims and the colour wheel. The open worlds was a big bonus too. One thing that I wasn't overly keen on with this version is that I felt there wasn't a lot of emotion involved in the game and that the game was more goal orientated (achieving level 10's in careers and levelling up in skills.)

    The Sims 4, this was the version that I was the most reluctant to play on. Although actually since playing on it, it's quickly become one of my favourite versions. I really appreciate the fact that they've focused on emotions and not just goals in this version. I can take or leave the open worlds not being a feature here. And although it lacks the colour wheel, I feel as though CC creator's make up for that lacking.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 200 Member
    I started with Sims 1 and it was good. Being the first game there was nothing to compare it to.
    Sims 2 added aging and a lot of other things, but the game was difficult. I never liked the wants and fears system and the need decay was too fast.
    Sims 3 would have been good, but it had so many bugs and glitches, it just didn't work. While I did have a lot of fun with the Pets pack (cats, horses, and unicorns) I often had to restart the game due to it crashing. That just took the enjoyment right out of it.
    Sims 4 is my favourite. It has so much fun things to do and I can actually have my Sims do the fun things. The focus is not only on their needs.

    Special mention: the Sims Castaway. It was a different game, but a really fun one. It would be great if they ever do a remaster of it for the new consoles.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,075 Member
    edited August 17
    I started with Sims 1 and it was good. Being the first game there was nothing to compare it to.
    Sims 2 added aging and a lot of other things, but the game was difficult. I never liked the wants and fears system and the need decay was too fast.
    Sims 3 would have been good, but it had so many bugs and glitches, it just didn't work. While I did have a lot of fun with the Pets pack (cats, horses, and unicorns) I often had to restart the game due to it crashing. That just took the enjoyment right out of it.
    Sims 4 is my favourite. It has so much fun things to do and I can actually have my Sims do the fun things. The focus is not only on their needs.

    Special mention: the Sims Castaway. It was a different game, but a really fun one. It would be great if they ever do a remaster of it for the new consoles.

    Yes, motives were extremely hard in TS1, TS2 eased up on all that with more expensive stuff so that the Sim could relax more, faster, fill hunger faster, longer etc. TS3 wasn't as bad as some believe because a lot of people who tried TS3 were laptop users who had played the story versions like PetsLife Story etc. and thought TS3's base could work on their laptop. Unfortunately, Maxis specs were wrong on the min. requirements for the game's base because they were trying to get players who also enjoyed their laptop games which were built for laptop.

    TS4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them. Like furnish them with fun things, or better beds and or friend and or food if they never need it. And most of the time TS4 Sims don't need any thing. I mean if they can skill all day with little effort to care for them, then that's not the game for me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 63 Member
    You describing that you didn't like The Sims 2 and the first reason you mention is CAS and the character creator....this exemplifies the divide in the community between people who love Sims 4 because of CAS and Building vs. EVERYONE else who craves depth and challenge and gameplay from the previous iterations.

    Hello there simmers! I just wanted to leave my ratings on all the Sims games I have played. So here goes... The Sims (Sims 1), it was a good game, not bad all at for its time, it was fun, I mean it was the first Sims after all and what started the franchise, so thank you EA and Maxis for a master peice of a series. Sims 2, hmm, It wasn't bad but, I didn't really like it much myself, just felt like the Sim creator wasn't good at all, but I did kinda like that you could control your Sim yourself. Moving along. Sims 3, I liked the Sims 3, the Sim creator was nice in this one and the gameplay was good. Lots of options which made the game fun to play. and then Sims 4, of course is my most favriote of all, great Sims creator and lots of fun to be had in this one, not much else to say about it, just that its really great. and here's a honorable mention, The Urbz: Sims in the City, most likely one of the very first Sim games I played and I loved it as a kid, it was a lot of fun and is what got me into the Sims in the first place, I mean, now it isn't as fun since I am older but, still its got some good old memories, the sims creator in it wasn't really good but that didn't stop me from enjoying it, I liked the greetings and stuff that you could do in that game, it was interesting, I spent hours playing it on the GameCube. but anyways, my hands are tried from typing, so, last thing I am going to put is, Sims mobile app, which I just started playing yesterday, its not bad, its alright, good way to kill some time. So, yeah, that's my ratings on the Sims games, thank you, Sul Sul.

  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 226 Member
    Glad to see this post: i'll join in!:
    i started playing the sims with 2. I was on the sims 2 forum as well, it was really neat and had a sense of community. i actually started with the Sims 2 for PSP:
    Sims 2 for PSP: perfect walkthrough game of Strangetown, love the different occults and love the story. The controls are easy. i like how you keep your own house that has a ghost- and it has bills. i also like the needs and aspirations even tho there is 3.
    So then from that game, which i completed: i went to the sims 2 PC- for the sims 2 for pc, i thought it was amazing- i also went from console to pc, so there's a bit of a difference there. i loved it- there were more needs, my sims were able to have babies, i thought it was an amazing life stimulator. and we can build houses. (more recently i built a 2 story house that cost less than 20,000!) Sure there wasn't as much customization as far as sim bodies, but you have body shop in which to create your own style of clothing! finally the best thing is the whole neighborhood doesn't age as you play one household. i like this better than the others i feel. Anyways, then i started playing sims 2 castaway for PSP! never completed it, but it is fun overall on trying to survive on that island!
    To add, i also have sims 2 for DS, and running the hotel is fun! again, i like the expanded view of strangetown, and the stories that come along with it! also johnny smith is in it! Next onto the other one:
    Sims 3: i owned the sims 3 for a while, and it was fun, but it was always buggy. loved the open world and less loading screens tho. but buggy. i've played the sims 3 for Ds and it is fun! in this one, i like that we own a house, can max up on skills, can have work moods- "work hard, take it easy" The pc has this too. i would overall give it a B. only because the console games are great! As for sims 4, i like what the sims creations can do! i love CAS and the different options. i find building hard, but with practice i'll get it! The packs i have are great and add things. For instance, i like the strangerville mystery!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,204 Member
    I started playing sims 1. I'm mostly a legacy player so i can't understand how i loved it so much :lol: but i did! I played Bella Goth over and over again.

    I haven't played sims 2 much because rl... but i remember it had aging, which i liked. But time worked in a strange way, at least for me... i would go out with my sim at morning then i'ld leave the community lot at night, and when i'm back at home it's morning again... it was so strange to me... and i remember there was no progress in the other households so i think rotational play was kind of encouraged. I just played it a couple of times, so i hadn't the time to understand all this new features...

    So basically it was like i had switched from 1 to 3 directly... i did played 3 a lot, i had plenty of time back then and i loved it. I still do. I love the open world and the amount of stuff to do. The depth in everything: traits, skills, lifetime wishes, wishes, careers. I love the way the sims ackowledge the environment and others around them. I love how it is not so censured, it has some funny dark humour :lol: I still play it almost daily.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 972 Member
    S4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them.

    @Cinebar That's really interesting. I'm almost the opposite. I see fulfilling needs as what has to be done before I start playing. Even though needs are important to me (I keep them mostly in the green and I don't cheat them), they're also in the background. I'm struggling to imagine not wanting to continue my sims' activities just because their needs are meet. My sims have things to do and getting needs squared away is the first step to doing all of those things (which I consider the main purpose) like socializing, exploring the neighborhood, being creative, getting into trouble, etc. etc.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,075 Member
    edited September 30
    haneul wrote: »
    S4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them.

    @Cinebar That's really interesting. I'm almost the opposite. I see fulfilling needs as what has to be done before I start playing. Even though needs are important to me (I keep them mostly in the green and I don't cheat them), they're also in the background. I'm struggling to imagine not wanting to continue my sims' activities just because their needs are meet. My sims have things to do and getting needs squared away is the first step to doing all of those things (which I consider the main purpose) like socializing, exploring the neighborhood, being creative, getting into trouble, etc. etc.

    But the Sims being able to fill fun all on their own (notice it is almost always full to the hilt and so is social) why bother asking a friend out to somewhere to build fun and social? How does that make sense when the Sim doesn't need either. The TS4 interrupts gameplay of the player's plans. For instance let's say I want to call up a Sim and invite them over or take them somewhere because yes, filling fun with a Sim friend is a good way to build a relationship without having to talk them to death. But TS4 Sims may pop out their phone before I can even get somewhere else to meet up with a friend and so fun and social is already full. Now what? Just let them go through the motions of something fun to do and to talk each other to death when if they needed fun and social they could play chess or bowl or something and build all three at the same time.
    It's sort of like the game that just says Watch Us Go Through the Motions for no apparent reasons. Why send the Sim to a restaurant if they are already full? TS4 is too easy and out of balance.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • haneulhaneul Posts: 972 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    S4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them.

    @Cinebar That's really interesting. I'm almost the opposite. I see fulfilling needs as what has to be done before I start playing. Even though needs are important to me (I keep them mostly in the green and I don't cheat them), they're also in the background. I'm struggling to imagine not wanting to continue my sims' activities just because their needs are meet. My sims have things to do and getting needs squared away is the first step to doing all of those things (which I consider the main purpose) like socializing, exploring the neighborhood, being creative, getting into trouble, etc. etc.

    But the Sims being able to fill fun all on their own (notice it is almost always full to the hilt and so is social) why bother asking a friend out to somewhere to build fun and social? How does that make sense when the Sim doesn't need either. The TS4 interrupts gameplay of the player's plans. For instance let's say I want to call up a Sim and invite them over or take them somewhere because yes, filling fun with a Sim friend is a good way to build a relationship without having to talk them to death. But TS4 Sims may pop out their phone before I can even get somewhere else to meet up with a friend and so fun and social is already full. Now what? Just let them go through the motions of something fun to do and to talk each other to death when if they needed fun and social they could play chess or bowl or something and build all three at the same time.
    It's sort of like the game that just says Watch Us Go Through the Motions for no apparent reasons. Why send the Sim to a restaurant if they are already full? TS4 is too easy and out of balance.

    @Cinebar Why do you bother getting their needs to green at all? I mean, the Sims 4 is a sandbox game and as long as at least one sim in a household is alive, the game will continue... so there's not a need to do any of the things you suggested either. It is easier to keep the needs of sims in Sims 4 in the green than it is in past games, but that's not the goal of the game. Each player creates their own goals, so for me, keeping needs in the green is the absolute minimum, where my gameplay starts and not at all where it ends. My sims call over friends to interact with them, to compete with them, to generally see what's going to happen (any drama or gossip), to see if I want to push any relationships in a good or bad way, etc. I also enjoy exploring different ways to build skills and make money, and experimenting with different professions, neighborhoods and on and on and on.

  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 22,382 Member
    Fulfilling needs is secondary to my gameplay. 80% of the time I'm using UI Cheats to manage needs. Yesterday my sim managed her retail shop for 12 sim hours without a bathroom break or meal break. 😄
    Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,075 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    S4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them.

    @Cinebar That's really interesting. I'm almost the opposite. I see fulfilling needs as what has to be done before I start playing. Even though needs are important to me (I keep them mostly in the green and I don't cheat them), they're also in the background. I'm struggling to imagine not wanting to continue my sims' activities just because their needs are meet. My sims have things to do and getting needs squared away is the first step to doing all of those things (which I consider the main purpose) like socializing, exploring the neighborhood, being creative, getting into trouble, etc. etc.

    But the Sims being able to fill fun all on their own (notice it is almost always full to the hilt and so is social) why bother asking a friend out to somewhere to build fun and social? How does that make sense when the Sim doesn't need either. The TS4 interrupts gameplay of the player's plans. For instance let's say I want to call up a Sim and invite them over or take them somewhere because yes, filling fun with a Sim friend is a good way to build a relationship without having to talk them to death. But TS4 Sims may pop out their phone before I can even get somewhere else to meet up with a friend and so fun and social is already full. Now what? Just let them go through the motions of something fun to do and to talk each other to death when if they needed fun and social they could play chess or bowl or something and build all three at the same time.
    It's sort of like the game that just says Watch Us Go Through the Motions for no apparent reasons. Why send the Sim to a restaurant if they are already full? TS4 is too easy and out of balance.

    @Cinebar Why do you bother getting their needs to green at all? I mean, the Sims 4 is a sandbox game and as long as at least one sim in a household is alive, the game will continue... so there's not a need to do any of the things you suggested either. It is easier to keep the needs of sims in Sims 4 in the green than it is in past games, but that's not the goal of the game. Each player creates their own goals, so for me, keeping needs in the green is the absolute minimum, where my gameplay starts and not at all where it ends. My sims call over friends to interact with them, to compete with them, to generally see what's going to happen (any drama or gossip), to see if I want to push any relationships in a good or bad way, etc. I also enjoy exploring different ways to build skills and make money, and experimenting with different professions, neighborhoods and on and on and on.

    See, TS4 is so easy, no one even worries about getting motives in the green. To answer your first question because it's how we all learned how to play The Sims back in 2000. If the motives don't matter and they hardly do then they should do a change to the Sim panel and remove the bars for those things if Simmers don't want motives anymore or if it's a 'sandbox' game. No, it's a life simulator where food matters or at least should more than it does in TS4. Like The Sims Medieval doesn't have those bars for many of the motives, and only gets a buff if they do those things if it helps them stay focused.....I think if we aren't going to look to see how we can multitask several things at one time, such as eat, socialize, and have fun all at same time, then what is the point if you just watch your Sim do some animations that don't actually matter at all? Even a life simulator must make some things necessary, sandbox or not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,075 Member
    edited October 1
    Fulfilling needs is secondary to my gameplay. 80% of the time I'm using UI Cheats to manage needs. Yesterday my sim managed her retail shop for 12 sim hours without a bathroom break or meal break. 😄

    omg, I would die of boredom, how is that fun? Perfect Sims in a perfect world. To each their own, but to me I would have to turn it off and go find something to do to stimulate my brain.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 22,382 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

    omg, I would die of boredom, how is that fun? Perfect Sims in a perfect world. To each their own, but to me I would have to turn it off and go find something to do to stimulate my brain.

    It was quite stimulating and challenging to singlehandedly run a busy shop. Greeting customers, using sales socials to persuade customers to buy, keeping an eye out for when to pounce at just the right moment to ensure a sale, ringing up customers, restocking, and getting rid of sims who show up to socialize or loiter. If you ever get back to playing the game you should definitely try running a shop. So much fun. 🙂
    Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 972 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    S4's motives hardly matter and it is easier and sometimes that's good but unfortunately for me, I still have it engrained into me that a Sim should need fun and or need sleep and or need a bath and or need social before I send them to go do those things. I can't understand why do fun things with the Sim if the Sim doesn't need it and it's already full. That is where me and TS4 part ways. I just can't see the purpose if my Sim doesn't need for me to do anything for them.

    @Cinebar That's really interesting. I'm almost the opposite. I see fulfilling needs as what has to be done before I start playing. Even though needs are important to me (I keep them mostly in the green and I don't cheat them), they're also in the background. I'm struggling to imagine not wanting to continue my sims' activities just because their needs are meet. My sims have things to do and getting needs squared away is the first step to doing all of those things (which I consider the main purpose) like socializing, exploring the neighborhood, being creative, getting into trouble, etc. etc.

    But the Sims being able to fill fun all on their own (notice it is almost always full to the hilt and so is social) why bother asking a friend out to somewhere to build fun and social? How does that make sense when the Sim doesn't need either. The TS4 interrupts gameplay of the player's plans. For instance let's say I want to call up a Sim and invite them over or take them somewhere because yes, filling fun with a Sim friend is a good way to build a relationship without having to talk them to death. But TS4 Sims may pop out their phone before I can even get somewhere else to meet up with a friend and so fun and social is already full. Now what? Just let them go through the motions of something fun to do and to talk each other to death when if they needed fun and social they could play chess or bowl or something and build all three at the same time.
    It's sort of like the game that just says Watch Us Go Through the Motions for no apparent reasons. Why send the Sim to a restaurant if they are already full? TS4 is too easy and out of balance.

    @Cinebar Why do you bother getting their needs to green at all? I mean, the Sims 4 is a sandbox game and as long as at least one sim in a household is alive, the game will continue... so there's not a need to do any of the things you suggested either. It is easier to keep the needs of sims in Sims 4 in the green than it is in past games, but that's not the goal of the game. Each player creates their own goals, so for me, keeping needs in the green is the absolute minimum, where my gameplay starts and not at all where it ends. My sims call over friends to interact with them, to compete with them, to generally see what's going to happen (any drama or gossip), to see if I want to push any relationships in a good or bad way, etc. I also enjoy exploring different ways to build skills and make money, and experimenting with different professions, neighborhoods and on and on and on.

    See, TS4 is so easy, no one even worries about getting motives in the green. To answer your first question because it's how we all learned how to play The Sims back in 2000. If the motives don't matter and they hardly do then they should do a change to the Sim panel and remove the bars for those things if Simmers don't want motives anymore or if it's a 'sandbox' game. No, it's a life simulator where food matters or at least should more than it does in TS4. Like The Sims Medieval doesn't have those bars for many of the motives, and only gets a buff if they do those things if it helps them stay focused.....I think if we aren't going to look to see how we can multitask several things at one time, such as eat, socialize, and have fun all at same time, then what is the point if you just watch your Sim do some animations that don't actually matter at all? Even a life simulator must make some things necessary, sandbox or not.

    The animations do matter, though, because there are a lot of challenges and goals that players can have outside of sims' needs. The most basic examples are to build a skill or make a friend. If you approach the Sims 3 and 4 differently from how you approach 1 and 2, you might have a lot of fun.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,663 Member
    edited October 1
    I don't like to put them in "like" order as I enjoyed all of them as they came out and had great enjoyment out of them all.

    I started with The Sims, original and the fun was in joining the usenet group chat and downloading CC, at great cost, I might add as I only had a phoneline connection. £30 a month was a lot in 2000/01. I learned a lot about how to recolour objects myself. Once I got Makin' magic I remember spending a lot of time on building rollercoasters!

    Sims 2: I really got addicted to and pre-ordered everything and read the guidebooks from cover to cover in a supermarket café before I got home. My favourite thing to do was building the shops and selling things. I still have a beautiful tin house that came with the pre-order of Unleashed in the UK that was supposed to keep all the DVD's in. (BTW. They had underestimated the amount)! There might not be a lot of these left as someone told me that Electronic Arts (the shop name at the time) had trashed unsold ones).
    Maxis even tried to help by producing small programs to sort some problems found in the game and the CC made by creators was awesome. I have several CDs/DVDs of it and have the Ultimate version from Origin.

    Sims 3: This one taught me something. Always have an external backup, as I crashed my hard disk playing the game and the whole laptop was unsaveable after. It cost me about £1,000 for a new one able to play the game. It needed NRass. mods to play it without cars piling up everywhere and I spent all my time trying to make it up to date every time a new pack came out to bypass all the walking around and running everywhere. The ability to make tiny or huge lots to order was good as I put the tiny underground/subway entrances in tiny plots everywhere! I didn't like the Sims themselves though and haven't gone back to playing it again. I still have it on my laptop just in case as the worlds were beautiful.

    Sims 4: I play this now as I love building in it and I've managed to achieve a very good spec. laptop to play it now and I've found a lot of lags are due to PCs and Macs not really good enough to play it as it should be. I had learned my lesson with Sims 3. I enjoy building up a game again as packs come out. I find the areas free to walk in are getting larger and larger now but I would really, really like to be able to walk around my own neighbourhood, at least, to meet and greet the neighbours without a screen, even though that is momentary for me. My neighbours don't have to go through one when they arrive at my door to "meet and greet" do they? :(;)

    I don't like saying anything too bad about any of the series as the Sims helped me through a bad period in my life and even killing the Sims off was useful! Twenty years and more is a long time to have an addiction which isn't harmful in any way. <3
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top