Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living: Prep and Plans

Comments

• Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I read that that it is called a shotgun style because the house is straight and narrow, and the rooms are set up one after another. For example, enter front into living room which leads into bedrooms/bath with kitchen in the back that has door to backyard. Houses are rectangular and usually no more than 12 feet wide.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,915 Member
    It's true that they are straight and narrow and possibly why they are called shotgun houses.

Rooms are directly connected without hallways. Shotgun houses may have derived their name from that room format, as it was sometimes said that a bullet shot from the front door would pass through the house without hitting anything and exit through the back door.
  • Options
    dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    after watching fry's showcase of the debug objects, i've come up with the idea of becoming an interior designer (DHD GP) and placing the debug rabbits and chickens in houses, since they act like the real ones

the goths want a bathroom remodel? have some fowl instead !!
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    I will definitely use the new stuff to upgrade my current farm into a bigger and better farm. I like the new stuff and clutter. Unfortunately my decade challenge will be then already in the seventies and my heiress should move into a city, so therefore I can't use everything, but until the release it's still some time, maybe she made her progress far enough to find someone and settle in to the new village and raise her future children in a natural environment. I didn't think so far yet for her future, honestly.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2021
    I won't bore you with the whole story (I have been playing these sims for a while and I really enjoy so many parts of their story but a lot of it .. isn't really relevant lol). This is Jill when she was a kid:
    1xE3E95.png

She lives with her parents and brother in Glimmerbrook. Both her and her brother are adults now. He is an engineer who loves to build all kinds of robots (he just graduated with highest distinction at Foxbury and met not just the love of his life there, but one of the most NATURAL couples I have ever played - but...before I digress). Their parents don't have so many days left to live but I have a hard time letting them go. Anywho, I decided when I started playing them that Jill would become a vet. So I was EXTREMELY excited when the pack was announced because it meant that I was already playing the PERFECT family for this pack :blush:

Here is my lovely Jill today - once with her dog Ash a few days before aging up into YA. And at uni today. She isn't as smart as her brother and didn't get into a distinguished degree but tbh, the artsy campus fits her so much better! So she is studying biology there :love:
    fX6guE8.png
    0QDg0UD.png
    1bi9dgk.png
    XlEUuWD.png

Yeah that's all really. Playing their lives as I did before is my prep. It just happens to fit perfectly.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I don't have any pre prepping plans. I'm about to hit 1960 in my decade's challenge. This pack would be awesome for that, at least in the beginning. For now I'll just incorporate what I can into my game. Luckily my founding family started out as fisherman and continued that line of work throughout the generations.

Backstory is the founder and his mother immigrated from Germany to Brindleton Bay, a fishing community. So when he was old enough he started work on the dock until he leveled up his fisherman skill. His dream was to buy his own fishing boat and start a family fishing business. He did reach his goal but it was short lived as he died in a storm crashing his ship. His son followed in his footsteps and has worked to rebuild the family business and his fathers dream. He is now an elder in game and his son is running the family fishing business. While they're story is mostly coastal living, (which I would love a coastal living pack) the farming aspects of the game will fit in nicely as they had built their own farm in the beginning living off the land and off the grid. Through the times the home and farm has grown.

I had a cc/mod chicken coop. Now I can get rid of that one and replace it with the new one in game. I also have cows as decor in the field so yeah, they gonna get a real cow now.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    after watching fry's showcase of the debug objects, i've come up with the idea of becoming an interior designer (DHD GP) and placing the debug rabbits and chickens in houses, since they act like the real ones

Who is fry? I was watching James turner's build overview and I saw the animals in debug so I was wondering if we could place those animals anywhere and how it would work. Like I want to make some rabbits as pets and I've been planning to try and make a fenced area and see if I could put a rabbit there without that stump but unfortunately we don't have beds, food bowls, or toys/hides for bunnies.

But I'm still wishing for more pets in a future pack. Maybe domestic rabbits would come in a pack like that but I feel like they would be stuck to too small enclosures especially with guinea pigs because ppl seem to mistreat small animals or market them for children like they did with mfps. Which is dangerous because kids are irresponsible and shouldn't care for a living thing.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Who is fry? I was watching James turner's build overview and I saw the animals in debug so I was wondering if we could place those animals anywhere and how it would work. Like I want to make some rabbits as pets and I've been planning to try and make a fenced area and see if I could put a rabbit there without that stump but unfortunately we don't have beds, food bowls, or toys/hides for bunnies.

But I'm still wishing for more pets in a future pack. Maybe domestic rabbits would come in a pack like that but I feel like they would be stuck to too small enclosures especially with guinea pigs because ppl seem to mistreat small animals or market them for children like they did with mfps. Which is dangerous because kids are irresponsible and shouldn't care for a living thing.

The rabbits in debug are actually animated! I'm not sure if they can move from place to place but they do wash their ears and things. I haven't seen anyone place the llama or cow so I don't know if they do the same thing, but the rabbits I will be placing in gardens for sure.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I've been playing around in CAS, and I'm pretty happy with the family I've made so far. This is the Delaney household, though I've yet to choose their first names. I'll update their hair and clothing once the pack drops.

I have a general idea about what I want their personality to be. My female sim has the botanist aspiration, and her focus is going to be on growing crops and entering the various Finchwick produce contests. I'm going to give my male sim the new aspiration that comes with the pack, and he will mostly be tending to the livestock on the farm. I'm not sure how I did it but I made them both polar opposites in terms of social life, because she's outgoing and he's a loner. :lol:

B8utIdK.png
    IOV8RTk.png
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    The new semester started, and I forgot we can take vet classes :love: (sorry felt the need to share this somewhere and it is my CL vet so lol)
    NkoqjIn.png
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Have decided on which households to build the story around! When I have time off I daydream a bit and try to get a feel for what I want to focus on.

It’s fun :)
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I've been playing around in CAS, and I'm pretty happy with the family I've made so far. This is the Delaney household, though I've yet to choose their first names. I'll update their hair and clothing once the pack drops.

I have a general idea about what I want their personality to be. My female sim has the botanist aspiration, and her focus is going to be on growing crops and entering the various Finchwick produce contests. I'm going to give my male sim the new aspiration that comes with the pack, and he will mostly be tending to the livestock on the farm. I'm not sure how I did it but I made them both polar opposites in terms of social life, because she's outgoing and he's a loner. :lol:

B8utIdK.png
    IOV8RTk.png

They are adorable! He's got a little bit of a Tim Rozon thing going on. <3
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I've made things very complicated for myself. :D

I went ahead and started making a few of the families, because they are related to existing sims in the game. So I needed to open up those families in CAS and add their relatives, then move the new branches of the family out. Then I decided maybe I would age some of them down and play through their earlier lives. For one family, it's relatively simple; I just wanted the parents to get their university degrees and get a good start on their careers because they are both very ambitious and materialistic, and they will definitely want to display their diplomas in the study.

But then I started to make my orphans' extended family, and it became quite complicated very quickly. I had originally wanted Agnes and Agatha Crumplebottom to adopt a young orphaned niece and nephew. However, once I realized they were special NPCs and that would be more complicated, I decided to create a new elder sim, Amelia Crumplebottom. So I opened up the Goth household, and created an elder Cornelia Goth, who I am going to let live for a while, at least until she develops relationships with the grandkids. Then she's probably going to become a ghost eventually. Then I created her sister Amelia Crumplebottom and moved her out; I probably won't do anything else with her until the pack arrives. Then I created another sibling, Rupert Crumplebottom. I moved him out into a third household. I am thinking that I am going to take him back into CAS, age him down to a YA or adult, and give him his wife Winifred and their twin daughters Primrose and Pandora, then play them until the girls grow up while we are waiting for Cottage Living. Eventually Primrose will marry Giles Kensington and they will have a daughter Daisy. Pandora will marry Felix Foster, and they will have a son Tom.

After Cottage Living arrives, I'm going to have Rupert, Winifred, Primrose, Giles, Pandora, and Felix all die in some mass casualty family tragedy. (Fire would probably be easiest, but I don't want burning or electrocution ghosts; maybe they could have a big pufferfish feast.) Then Great-Aunt Amelia will move back into the family home to help raise Daisy and Tom. Most of the dead family will also return as ghosts, although I think that will make the household too large, so one of them will have to move on peacefully. Either way, big family graveyard! I'm currently thinking I'll put them in the Moody & McMillan house, once I evict those nice old gentleman, but I'm not certain.

If I can figure out how to do the cheats, assuming there is a way, I'll probably go ahead and make Agnes the sibling of Cornelia, Amelia, and Rupert. Basically, the Goth-Crumplebottom family tree just leafed out in a big way. And I now have plenty to do to keep myself entertained for the next 12 days.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    So, I've seen discussions in in other threads about how it will be too easy to make money quickly from farming. We already have a very easy/lucrative option, which is selling directly from the plant. We will also be able to sell our produce individually from either the existing sales tables in the games, or potentially a new similar type of object, which would likely make it much slower/harder to earn money.

But I'm playing around with another idea as well. I think I might have my various farming sims regularly gift their produce and animal products to Bernard, my grocer. Then he can simply go around once a rotation and pay them a set sum, since we have the option to pay cash to other sims. Then when you go to Bernard's little shop, you will be able to buy apples grown by Alice, honey made by Hannah, grapes grown by George, eggs harvested by Emily, etc. (I'm trying to remember whether produce actually shows who grew it, and I think maybe it doesn't, but some of other products do, so I'm hoping at least the eggs and milk will.)

Anyway, I think that will give the shop a nice country store vibe, and also provide steady but not extravagant income for my farmers.

I don’t think produce does show who grew it unless they change that. I have a grocery store that I downloaded and changed up a bit, I have already cooked food and baked goods and sell produce from a table in the store ( usually the perfect stuff ), and then also sell produce in those upright things you can store many pieces of produce. I’m glad we are going to be able to buy from a stall though, and order food online, hopefully the produce will be a more reasonable price for those that don’t want to garden.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

B8utIdK.png
    IOV8RTk.png

Hey, you just created Mick Foley/Cactus Jack! Cool!
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    It's true that they are straight and narrow and possibly why they are called shotgun houses.

Rooms are directly connected without hallways. Shotgun houses may have derived their name from that room format, as it was sometimes said that a bullet shot from the front door would pass through the house without hitting anything and exit through the back door.

Thank you. I remembered it saying something about a bullet going through the front door and exiting the back door.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,130 Member
    Well my crazy mixed-up timelines households are finally getting reorganized. I kept putting my 1700s & 1800s households in my Renissance/Medieval game save. So, I started a new game save & called it, Georgian-RagTime. I'm almost finished gutting out all the built lots. I've already got rid of all the useless premades & put back in my historical premades, including my Victorian version of Bella & my upgraded Father Winter. I also upgraded my 8 Ghosts with the Pirate costumes/skill/traits. My First playable sim is based on Jane Austen which I gave her a blended name of some of my favorite heroines of the stories. Once I'm done with gutting out the last of my worlds, I will play around with rustic historic buildable parts for some historic lots. Unfortunately, I still can't get City & Everygreen to look even a little historic. After most of my world's looks good then I'll go back to my sim & give her a sister & a cousin. Then create a neighbor household that will be also based on Jane Austen's male heroes like Mr. Darcy, Edward Farrais, Wentworth & so on. Oh, & eventually redownload my 1700s & 1800s homes & households in the new game save & delete them in my Renissance. Busy, busy
    FYI: I only play vanilla in my Sims 4 & have most of the packs.
  • Options
    pendragon1980pendragon1980 Posts: 436 Member
    I'm going to keep the Moody & McMillan Household and add a daughter as a single mom with a son. I know they're not Brothers but I get a very "secondhand Lion" vibe from those two
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,021 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Well my crazy mixed-up timelines households are finally getting reorganized. I kept putting my 1700s & 1800s households in my Renissance/Medieval game save. So, I started a new game save & called it, Georgian-RagTime. I'm almost finished gutting out all the built lots. I've already got rid of all the useless premades & put back in my historical premades, including my Victorian version of Bella & my upgraded Father Winter. I also upgraded my 8 Ghosts with the Pirate costumes/skill/traits. My First playable sim is based on Jane Austen which I gave her a blended name of some of my favorite heroines of the stories. Once I'm done with gutting out the last of my worlds, I will play around with rustic historic buildable parts for some historic lots. Unfortunately, I still can't get City & Everygreen to look even a little historic. After most of my world's looks good then I'll go back to my sim & give her a sister & a cousin. Then create a neighbor household that will be also based on Jane Austen's male heroes like Mr. Darcy, Edward Farrais, Wentworth & so on. Oh, & eventually redownload my 1700s & 1800s homes & households in the new game save & delete them in my Renissance. Busy, busy
    FYI: I only play vanilla in my Sims 4 & have most of the packs.

I really enjoyed reading about your game. It’s very creative. 😎🎉.

Seeing more of HoB it reminds me more of Emmerdale Farm and Escape to the Country. I’m going to delete my 1970s saves and move to maybe either 80s or early 90s. As mobiles are always present they’re very distracting.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    I'm really excited about this pack. I'll be using the new world to start a new era of time for my Sim's story. I want to introduce time travel into the story where my main sims will go back into the far past, and I think this pack will be a great place to start.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Is it weird I don’t want my sims living in the new world? I just feel like it’s so secluded from the rest of the worlds.

Anyways, I will be continuing my play through of the 2 sims I have 1 is a YA the other is a teen and there sisters.

Their parents are lost at sea and left them in a small house in sulani where they live. There’s isn’t a good internet connection but they are close to the island gathering spot.
    The older sister isn’t very social but feels like she can express herself by writing so she decided to do that as career. The teenager, all she wants to do is go out and socialize but the older sister doesn’t want her younger sister to get involved with the locals. She thinks they have something to do with their parents disappearance since they all been acting little fishy...

I plan on adding some chickens and a small garden to there lot to give it that island farm feeling. Hopefully she can open a small fresh produce stall on the lot.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    The very first thing I'm going to do is go through all of my builds in every world and replace all the fake pool ponds with real ponds (and the cool new vfx) so that my sims can fish and play in them. I'm a water person and tend to have some kind of water feature in most of my lots (fountains, pools, fake ponds/streams, etc), so this new pond tool is a super exciting thing to finally have back in the game for someone like me. I can't wait!

After I've done all that, I'm then going to create a new sim couple and build them a beautiful lake house with a small hobby garden, chicken coop, and cow shed. And then try out the new lot challenges while my new family attempts to live a completely off-the-grid lifestyle. I'm hoping the new computer that looks like an old typewriter was made for off-grid functionality... if so, then one of my sims will most definitely be an aspiring best-selling author as a side income to help boost their meager little hobby farm income.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    My vet sim, Cecília is going to open a vet clinic in henford on bagley to take care of the animals and maybe fall in love with a local farmer :)

IHylDCB.png
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Anyone else think there should have been a cafe in the village centre a la Emmerdale? Maybe replace the Scotts house with one and move them into the empty lot..?