Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any good tip for renovating houses?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, I got the message,'I cannot live in this squalor'. I had a look many tips and the answer was adding bed or shower..thing. The house was actually built by myself and there are 3 bathrooms, big 3 bedrooms, and 1 vampire bed in the basement. Also there are 2 kitchens and a big dining table with 8 seats. And total household is only 2. One is a human and the other one is a vamp. The clIient is a human. There's a good place to make gym room in the basement. But he was not satisfied at all. It could be from my sim's career level? His level is just 1.My sim's painting skill is maxed. So my sim cannot level up with drawing.
As far as I remember, I've had this career long time ago, and the clients were happy even though I break their objects and rooms, and build a new room..and my sim's level was 9. Should I level painting skill down to 8 or 7, and let him level up by drawing on drafting table? My architectural designer is the sim on my profile avatar. :)

Comments

• Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Wow! That sounds like a great house. I just watched a little of Pleasantsims stream on being a decorator/designer in Sims 3 and according to her, you must level up a bit in the career before you get good reviews. As long as you are level 1, the reviews will be pretty bad.

Now I remember when this first came out that I also got really good reviews from the beginning of the career. Now they are horrible even if I do all and more than client asked. Did they make this career harder with subsequent updates? Don't know but it is tougher now.

As for drawing and painting skill, if you are maxxed at painting then try doing the drawing board/ architect thing. I think it is a different skill? But will help you level up. If Im wrong (sorry!) then just do a lot of jobs. Surely the money you earn will level you up.

It's a great career and kind of satisfying. Good luck!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    ElisetomElisetom Posts: 70 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    Hi, I got the message,'I cannot live in this squalor'.
    I've got the same. After some thought about the matter and a deep analysis of the house I was renovating, I came to the conclusion that the bad review was linked to the roof bug (I've made a room addition and just put a roof over, without using the plain tiles underneath the roof - I've heard that in these situations, there is no protection from rain and snow inside) or to the fact that the external walls of the basement were not painted (even thought the sims could not see them :| ). Maybe your bad review could be related to some bug like those?
    (Sorry for the poor English, it's not my first language)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @jaletu2005
    Yes it could be from the low career level. It’s not a greatly decorated house but it’s good for living without routing failure. There is enough empty space on floor. Sims can roll around everywhere in the house. Drawing on the grafting board raises painting skill. But it won’t level up if your sim’s painting skill is maxed. Yes that’s what I felt with this career. I feel it’s tougher. Maybe it becomes harder from many times of game patches through Into the future since Ambition came out.

@KatyFernlily Thanks for the link but I already read that page and tried everything except for the poor career level.

@Elisetom The house was built by myself and all the ceilings were covered perfectly. It is a modern house with flat roof. If it was not covered, then sims would use umbrella while walking around in the house.
    Same here. English is a foreign language to me. :) I learned English a lot since starting the sims 3 game. 😆
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    This guy makes me insane now. This guy was the sim said,"I cannot live in this squalor' for Gym room before. Now he wants to have a writing room and he is still saying the same thing. Other sims gave my sim good reviews but ONLY This guy always says like this. Is there a case any certain sim who never like the renovation?

Untitled-32.png

This guy is actually inactivated my sim as well. I feel like he changes to this architectural designer career and let him get this horrible review from other sims. I'm angry at him now. I'm going to move him out of that house!

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited May 2021
    @Jeansoo Work on maxing up your charisma also and talk to them before the job trying to increase relationship with them. Get to know can be important to learn likes. That helps clients like you better and they like your work better. A low level in the career is tough but will gradually start getting better reviews. I also tend not to do more than they ask because it seems to tick them off. I used to add curtains or rugs or paintings to get a better score. It doesn't help.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Also make sure the house has enough beds for its residents, even if its not part of
    the requested items, it will cause problems.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Maybe he is upset you used too much money even if you did not go over the budget? I am not sure, just trying to guess why he is being a meanie. So sorry he is causing you trouble, but it is a little funny how he is the only client being hard on your sim XD
  • Options
    @bekkasan
    Thanks. My sim’s charisma skill is 10. And also that guy’s name is Adrian who I created in CAS last year. LOL.. Anyway, my sim and his relationship is fully filled. :) He is still being mean to my sim. Other than this, they have chat often but I don’t know why now.. Yeah also Adrian’s charisma skill is maxed as well.

@GraceyManor
    There are 3 human beds and One vampire bed on basement. Also have 3 bathrooms as well. I built this house by myself for them. Even I made an extra bedroom for guest sims. Total household is only 2. Vamp sim Jordan and human sim Adrian. All the beds are double beds. This Adrian never get satisfied with the renovation. I tried recover all ceilings and flat roof as well but the result is the same.

@Mareah
    Unfortunately, I sold the stuff in my sim’s family inventory to increase his budget. He prepared 4500 but remaining money is 7500 which my sim helped his budget more as my sim is a big rich. And bought the descent ones. He complained, so I removed everything and bought the cheap ones, then he still complained.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Try to replace the vampire bed with regular bed see if that works
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @GraceyManor
    Hi, I just tried to change the vampire bed to the human one, but the result is the same. Bad luck..but thanks for the suggestion.:)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I have a question. Usually, what trait sim reject the renovation easily? Adrian’s traits are…athletic, unflirty, virtuoso, brace, and gatherer. Also relevant trait was ‘virtuoso’ when he asked to make a gym room. Should I put any musical instrument even though it is not on the requests list? I added ine more bed and the result is the same. I changed his bed to more expensive and comfy one but the result is still the same.
    The final way I can try is moving him out ti map mode and then put him back in. If it was a bug,
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Did you do any walls or floors? Sometimes it's easy to forget to plop down a floor tile or cover a wall. Sims hate that!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    Did you do any walls or floors? Sometimes it's easy to forget to plop down a floor tile or cover a wall. Sims hate that!
    Hmm no, now I’m afraid of getting this terrible reviews, so I didn’t remove or add anything. Because he goes straight to the place and see what has been removed and moved to other spot, then he doesn’t even look what I’ve done with his requests, and then gives me a bad review.

Do you know what I should do with ‘virtuoso’ trait? Now I feel all the sims with this trait gave me a bad review. Lola Belle with this trait, she didn’t tell me like this but mostly she said,’I’ve done terrible job’. Also Adrian has the same virtuoso trait. When I start renovating their house, virtuoso was on the list of their requests.

Also would the store items work well with the renovation or should I use only eps and stuff pack items only? Because I noticed the sims 3 game recognize the store item as third party items.

• Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Don’t take the innovation job seriously, ever. Ambitions has some weird, unknown-to-us way of giving out points to each task performed.

It’s not uncommon to get negative reviews and personally, it’s entertaining to see how certain sims secretly want their houses to be re-decorated: I once placed a toilet in the centre of a living room and the owner really liked it. What can I say? They have some peculiar taste and as long as I was getting paid, it is not my place to judge.

Next time try putting an expensive toilet covered in their favourite colour right next to the treadmill, perhaps it would brighten his day.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @Jeansoo I can't help saying it, but maybe that guy is just an a$$! :lol: One of those people sims where nothing satisfies them. It could possibly be trait related.

Looks like you've received some sound advice. I only played that career once and got annoyed quickly at all the bad reviews I got when I too thought I was giving them one heck of a renovation! (I mean I'm no amazing interior designer, but I think I'm pretty good at it.)

I think I discovered too what @bekkasan mentioned, that if you try to add more than what they ask for, it makes them mad... So lame.

I wonder if cc could affect how much a sim likes the decor, because cc isn't made by EA so it could have different coding or whatever the word is. Does that make sense?

Hope you can figure it all out. Best wishes. :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    It's unbelievable. Finally he gave me the fee but the review was still terrible.

7.png

5.png

6.png

My sim got this terrible review at career level 6.
    When I was building this house, I didn't place any toilets as those 2 sims both were having 'steel bladder' reward. They don't need toilets. But I found they gave me the different review after placing toilets... It's rediculous.
    Also my sim and hiis relationship is fully filled and they usually enjoy chatting and haning out together. Also He and my sim's charisma skill is level 10 as well. I didn't think about lack of conversation each other. My sim knows his all traits too.

Thanks for all giving me a lot of tips and advices. I really appreciate you all. :)