Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best PC for TS4?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021
    wrswrs2 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    trophy wrote: »
    Unless you really want a laptop, go for a gaming desktop PC, they are cheaper than gaming laptops and they generally last longer.

Other than that, it's up to how much you want to spend. You can probably get pretty decent performance in the game with a Desktop PC for $1200. The sims4 have gotten pretty CPU demanding over the years so I recommend getting something with a good CPU, that will cost more though ($1500+).

You can buy something cheaper than that, but I would recommend spending at least this if you play the sims4 a lot, might as well spend a little bit more money on things that you enjoy doing.

@logion I really wanna disagree with this. I'm playing on ultra settings in HD on a 750$ pre-built PC. The Sims 4 isn't demanding at all, you don't need to pay that much.

@SimmerGeorge you managed to get a good gaming PC for that little money? What GPU and CPU does it use?

The impression that I have gotten of the sims4 is that it's actually pretty demanding if you want to have lots with a lot of build items and render it at a good framerate.

Think it depends too on how you play the game. I looked at the OP’s tumblr accounts linked in their signature to get a feel for their play style and the sims are wearing alpha hair which can have high polygons. If they only use for photos it is probably fine but gameplay would probably require a stronger pc as @logion suggested.

@wrswrs2 how do you currently play the game? Do you download and use cc, especially higher polygon or alpha? Is that only for photos and do you play with only vanilla assets? Any other games you wish to play now or in the future? Do you have a budget in mind? This might help in finding the right PC for you.

Usually I use the alpha for photos, but when I play the game I don't use it. I do like a lot of CC though. Mostly CAS, but some build mode as well Usually I just like building and then taking photos, but I do also play legacy challenges.

To those that suggested laptops, I am not a fan of them. I like having a big monitor and separate keyboard + mouse etc.

Also it took me like 25 minutes just to get this computer on today. So I don't think I can really wait to do a custom one. I just need something prebuilt and ready to order.

Is this a good opion, or is it to over laded?
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-500gb-ssd/6452139.p?skuId=6452139&fbclid=IwAR07U9gX_G1jop5c9x-Mj4Cmmw5D89nH2XCItAnnssW7Rg2fYIL-hqaBziU

I guess I can afford a little over 1,000, but much over that is too much. My current computer was around $800 and barely lasted me 4 years.

That's a good price for a computer with a RTX 3060, the only thing I would do is upgrade to 16GB RAM. I think investing in a computer like that one you linked is a good decision so you will get something that will last.

That doesn't have an 3600 RTX -- that's the AMD CPU. It has a radeon rx 580 which, while not bad at all, is the equivalent to a 1660 gtx.

I just noticed and changed what I commented, so yeah, I think the first one you linked was the best one. Upgrading that one to 16GB is not difficult.

Okay, so this one from Best Buy is the best option then?
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-500gb-ssd/6452139.p?skuId=6452139&fbclid=IwAR07U9gX_G1jop5c9x-Mj4Cmmw5D89nH2XCItAnnssW7Rg2fYIL-hqaBziU

Al the talk of radeon rx 580 or 3600 RTX is too confusing for me :lol: I am hopeless with computer specs!

I think the best one is the computer with the RTX 3060. Maybe you could call the shop and ask why 16GB is not available (I'm assuming that it's because they are out of 8GB RAM cards), maybe it's possible to find a solution, like buying two additional 4GB cards instead.
  • Options
    wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2021
    I am doing an online chat with them now! We shall see what they say....

They suggested this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-11600kf-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-500gb-ssd-black/6452135.p?skuId=6452135

The graphics card is different so IDK which one is better.

Eh I might just do the HP one. Upgrade it to 16 GB https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-tg01-1070m-3g825av-1
    IDK if the graphics are as good, and hopefully I can hold out until some time after 6/7 for it to arrive, but the price is way better. I don't want to go crazy with the price.
    Post edited by wrswrs2 on
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Unless you really want a laptop, go for a gaming desktop PC, they are cheaper than gaming laptops and they generally last longer.

Other than that, it's up to how much you want to spend. You can probably get pretty decent performance in the game with a Desktop PC for $1200. The sims4 have gotten pretty CPU demanding over the years so I recommend getting something with a good CPU, that will cost more though ($1500+).

You can buy something cheaper than that, but I would recommend spending at least this if you play the sims4 a lot, might as well spend a little bit more money on things that you enjoy doing.

@logion I really wanna disagree with this. I'm playing on ultra settings in HD on a 750$ pre-built PC. The Sims 4 isn't demanding at all, you don't need to pay that much.

@SimmerGeorge you managed to get a good gaming PC for that little money? What GPU and CPU does it use?

The impression that I have gotten of the sims4 is that it's actually pretty demanding if you want to have lots with a lot of build items and render it at a good framerate.

Think it depends too on how you play the game. I looked at the OP’s tumblr accounts linked in their signature to get a feel for their play style and the sims are wearing alpha hair which can have high polygons. If they only use for photos it is probably fine but gameplay would probably require a stronger pc as @logion suggested.

@wrswrs2 how do you currently play the game? Do you download and use cc, especially higher polygon or alpha? Is that only for photos and do you play with only vanilla assets? Any other games you wish to play now or in the future? Do you have a budget in mind? This might help in finding the right PC for you.

Usually I use the alpha for photos, but when I play the game I don't use it. I do like a lot of CC though. Mostly CAS, but some build mode as well Usually I just like building and then taking photos, but I do also play legacy challenges.

To those that suggested laptops, I am not a fan of them. I like having a big monitor and separate keyboard + mouse etc.

Also it took me like 25 minutes just to get this computer on today. So I don't think I can really wait to do a custom one. I just need something prebuilt and ready to order.

I guess I can afford a little over 1,000, but much over that is too much. My current computer was around $800 and barely lasted me 4 years.

That's a good price for a computer with a RTX 3060, the only thing I would do is upgrade to 16GB RAM. I think investing in a computer like that one you linked is a good decision so you will get something that will last.

That doesn't have an 3600 RTX -- that's the AMD CPU. It has a radeon rx 580 which, while not bad at all, is the equivalent to a 1660 gtx.

I just noticed and changed what I commented, so yeah, I think the first one you linked was the best one. Upgrading that one to 16GB is not difficult.

Al the talk of radeon rx 580 or 3600 RTX is too confusing for me :lol: I am hopeless with computer specs!

I think the best one is the computer with the RTX 3060. Maybe you could call the shop and ask why 16GB is not available (I'm assuming that it's because they are out of 8GB RAM cards), maybe it's possible to find a solution, like buying two additional 4GB cards instead.

How about these specs for an HP Gaming Computer?

Primary Specs

Base HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC
    Operating system Windows 10 Home
    Processor AMD Ryzen™ 5 4600G (3.7 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
    Memory 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Storage 512 SSD storage
    Secondary storage No Secondary storage
    Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 Super 8GB (GDDR6 dedicated)

Additional Specs

Chassis and Power supply Shadow black front bezel, Acid Green Chrome logo with 400W Power supply
    Networking Realtek Canary ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 M.2 2230 PCI-e+USB WW with 2 Antennas
    Productivity software Office Trial
    McAfee LiveSafe™ security software McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
    Keyboard and mouse HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit
    Base Unit BU RCTO PAV GAM UMA B550A TG01-1 US
    Country kit CKIT HP CTO PAV 20C2 US
    Cycle AV 20C2 Cycle AV
    OpSysSW Localization OSLOC US
    Technical AV 3 DIB Omen Command Center Flyer US
    Warranty WARR 1/1/0 US

It comes out to $1164.99

OR

It can have Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 1660 Super (6GB GDDR6 dedicated)
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Primary Specs

Storage 512 SSD storage

Additional Specs

Chassis and Power supply Shadow black front bezel, Acid Green Chrome logo with 400W Power supply
    Networking Realtek Canary ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 M.2 2230 PCI-e+USB WW with 2 Antennas
    Keyboard and mouse HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit
    Cycle AV 20C2 Cycle AV
    Warranty WARR 1/1/0 US

It comes out to $1164.99

OR

Those specs are good, the 2060 is better than the 1660, it has more memory. With this computer you have something that will last for a long time.
  • Options

Primary Specs

Storage 512 SSD storage

Additional Specs

Cycle AV 20C2 Cycle AV
    Warranty WARR 1/1/0 US

It comes out to $1164.99

OR

Those specs are good, the 2060 is better than the 1660, it has more memory.

I see that it's a pay in full and I can not afford that.
    Best Buy has a payment plan with their credit card, which I have, so I guess I am going with that one and I can update the RAM at some other point.

Thanks all for your help!!
    I greatly appreciate it! :)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm going to give a piece of advice that most people will disagree with -- if you have the budget for it, get a gaming laptop.

Here's my reasoning:

Video cards are ridiculous right now thanks to crypto currency. They have been for years, mind you, but right now it's impossible to get a decent video card at a reasonable price. Even prebuilt desktops are reflecting this. And it's not getting any better any time soon. Due to the prior year's events, material shortages may make things worse.

This assumes you're getting a system with a discrete (non-integrated) graphics card. Another option would be to buy a desktop with the most powerful CPU you can afford and use the integrated graphics and worry about getting a graphics card later.

I think most importantly, laptop or desktop, you want at bare minimum an SSD (solid state disk) as opposed to an HDD. Even better if you can get an m2 NVMe. Many prebuilt systems for whatever reason toss a HDD in, even if it's just a second drive. They are slow and clunky and more prone to hardware failure.

I suppose this is a non-answer. Easy answer is look at the recommended specs for the Sims 4, and get better than that -- as much as your budget will allow.

Edit: Laptops usually use a smaller, less powerful, made-for-laptops graphics card. These are not being used by cryptocurrency miners so you have a better chance of getting more bang for your buck. A quick google search showed me you can get a laptop with a 2060rtx, which is the last generation midrange card and an i7 CPU for $1100, or the desktop 2060 rtx only (nothing else, just the card) for $800-900. Unfortunately, even the lower range cards desktop version are going up in price. I looked up a 1650 gtx, which is a budget gaming card, and the desktop version is going for between $400 - $500 while you can get a laptop with that card for just a couple hundred more.
    Crypto currency is hitting the gaming laptops too. How they can have many computers run at once is using laptops to run them too which actually is easier given how mobile they are. Especially with a lot of the gaming laptops using the same video cards or older than the new prebuilt PCs.

There are even pictures showing multiple laptops in use:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-3060-laptop-mining-farms
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@logion I bought mine almost 2 years ago and it has a gtx 1060 6gb and a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure that in 2021 the OP can find even better specs for that price.

Yes, you are right it also depends on how many items you have etc. But the thing is The sims 4 is also somewhat limited in its utilization. The software is programmed to utilize a limited amount of power (cause it is pretty old) so buying very expensive hardware for the SIms 4 can be overkill sometimes if the software doesn't know how to utilize it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

@logion I bought mine almost 2 years ago and it has a gtx 1060 6gb and a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure that in 2021 the OP can find even better specs for that price.

Yes, you are right it also depends on how many items you have etc. But the thing is The sims 4 is also somewhat limited in its utilization. The software is programmed to utilize a limited amount of power (cause it is pretty old) so buying very expensive hardware for the SIms 4 can be overkill sometimes if the software doesn't know how to utilize it.

The sims4 performance seems to be all over the place sometimes, so I kinda agree, You are not getting a huge increase in performance like with other games but in this case the OP settled on a slightly better computer for $300 more, which I think is not a bad investment if you play the sims4 every day. The better cpu will help with simulation lag, and the gpu can offer better framerate when the game is struggling to render lots.

I'm also a bit worried if the game will continue on for many more years, then I'm not sure how well it will perform, so it will probably help to spend a little bit more on hardware.
  • Options
    So I got the computer, but the RAM I was told was COMPATIBLE with my DESK TOP PC was for a LAPTOP! Oh Best Buy...
    But, the 8 GB RAM is still going lightning quick. I will eventually upgrade, but the game comes on in 60 seconds now, where as my old PC it was like 10 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top