Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best PC for TS4?

wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
Hi all.
My current computer is on it's way out, so I am in need of a new Desktop PC. I want to make sure it's a good PC to play the Sims on, with good graphics. But, here's the catch, I know literally NOTHING about computers or graphics. Any suggestions on a good PC that *hopefully* won't break the bank haha.
http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I prefer custom builds myself since they are cheaper, but this is a nice guide of what to look for in gaming components.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-pc-builds-gaming

I like using PC Part Picker:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Built-in graphics are just fine, you don't need a video card. But do not skimp on RAM. You can buy a desktop pc that will run TS4 just fine on ultra settings, but you'll need to add RAM to it....you'll want at least 16 GB. But that's not a big deal, as it's cheap to buy.

I'm running a $500 Dell with stock graphics on the highest setting with only 12 GB of RAM. It does ok, but it really maxes out the memory---go bigger
  • nativehyunnativehyun Posts: 10 New Member
    How about buying a brand-new iMac? Apple M1 Chip runs TS4 very smoothly.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    nativehyun wrote: »
    How about buying a brand-new iMac? Apple M1 Chip runs TS4 very smoothly.

New iMacs are like $1200+....
    > @Onverser said:
    > New iMacs are like $1200+....

Yeah But it comes with 4.5K Retina display, higher performance, good speakers and mics. If you need a better display and higher performance, the new iMac can be one of your options.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2021
    Unless you really want a laptop, go for a gaming desktop PC, they are cheaper than gaming laptops and they generally last longer.

Other than that, it's up to how much you want to spend. You can probably get pretty decent performance in the game with a Desktop PC for $1200. The sims4 have gotten pretty CPU demanding over the years so I recommend getting something with a good CPU, that will cost more though ($1500+).

You can buy something cheaper than that, but I would recommend spending at least this if you play the sims4 a lot, might as well spend a little bit more money on things that you enjoy doing.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    > @Onverser said:
    > New iMacs are like $1200+....

Yeah But it comes with 4.5K Retina display, higher performance, good speakers and mics. If you need a better display and higher performance, the new iMac can be one of your options.

I mean they said they wanted a PC on a budget that doesn't break the bank
    > @Onverser said:
    > I mean they said they wanted a PC on a budget that doesn't break the bank

These days, the price of graphics cards has risen tremendously. It's a bad time to buy a new PC. I mean, iMac(or Mac mini) could be an "option"-to a desktop computer that runs TS4 great.

P.S. If you play PC games except for TS4, don't buy a Mac.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    If you have decent credit, you can check Dell's daily deals. You can pick up a gaming desktop for under $1k and if you use their credit, you can pay it off in a year (make sure to balance the payments) and there is no interest charges. Their credit card also works for the Microsoft store.

I buy new computers pretty often so this works for me. I'm currently using one of the budget gaming PCs, but it came with a Nvidia 2060 ti, which handles every game I play masterfully. Plus when I animate things it renders a lot faster than my last computer. I don't think that's a requirement for the sims, but it doesn't hurt. Just make sure your processor is good, over 3gHz and a video card that's at least a Nvidia 1060. The other features don't matter.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    > @Onverser said:
    > I mean they said they wanted a PC on a budget that doesn't break the bank

These days, the price of graphics cards has risen tremendously. It's a bad time to buy a new PC. I mean, iMac(or Mac mini) could be an "option"-to a desktop computer that runs TS4 great.

P.S. If you play PC games except for TS4, don't buy a Mac.
    Older graphics cards run the game well. I would recommend at least a GTX 960 especially since this game will be developed awhile. SSD cards help too. They are both extra protection from overclocking the computer and breaking it. I wouldn't recommend the brand new graphics cards because those are used for bitcoin farming with bots. Also good to get a 64 bit computer if they want to play any pack from Discover University on.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    I agree with @Scobre custom build is all the way could set you back over £1000. The amount of cases I have gone through just to get water cooling in is crazy but worth it. Finally have my pc running the way I want it 😂
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Unless you really want a laptop, go for a gaming desktop PC, they are cheaper than gaming laptops and they generally last longer.

Other than that, it's up to how much you want to spend. You can probably get pretty decent performance in the game with a Desktop PC for $1200. The sims4 have gotten pretty CPU demanding over the years so I recommend getting something with a good CPU, that will cost more though ($1500+).

You can buy something cheaper than that, but I would recommend spending at least this if you play the sims4 a lot, might as well spend a little bit more money on things that you enjoy doing.

@logion I really wanna disagree with this. I'm playing on ultra settings in HD on a 750$ pre-built PC. The Sims 4 isn't demanding at all, you don't need to pay that much.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited May 2021

@logion I really wanna disagree with this. I'm playing on ultra settings in HD on a 750$ pre-built PC. The Sims 4 isn't demanding at all, you don't need to pay that much.

@SimmerGeorge you managed to get a good gaming PC for that little money? What GPU and CPU does it use?

The impression that I have gotten of the sims4 is that it's actually pretty demanding if you want to have lots with a lot of build items and render it at a good framerate.
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member

@SimmerGeorge you managed to get a good gaming PC for that little money? What GPU and CPU does it use?

The impression that I have gotten of the sims4 is that it's actually pretty demanding if you want to have lots with a lot of build items and render it at a good framerate.

Think it depends too on how you play the game. I looked at the OP’s tumblr accounts linked in their signature to get a feel for their play style and the sims are wearing alpha hair which can have high polygons. If they only use for photos it is probably fine but gameplay would probably require a stronger pc as @logion suggested.

@wrswrs2 how do you currently play the game? Do you download and use cc, especially higher polygon or alpha? Is that only for photos and do you play with only vanilla assets? Any other games you wish to play now or in the future? Do you have a budget in mind? This might help in finding the right PC for you.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm going to give a piece of advice that most people will disagree with -- if you have the budget for it, get a gaming laptop.

Here's my reasoning:

Video cards are ridiculous right now thanks to crypto currency. They have been for years, mind you, but right now it's impossible to get a decent video card at a reasonable price. Even prebuilt desktops are reflecting this. And it's not getting any better any time soon. Due to the prior year's events, material shortages may make things worse.

This assumes you're getting a system with a discrete (non-integrated) graphics card. Another option would be to buy a desktop with the most powerful CPU you can afford and use the integrated graphics and worry about getting a graphics card later.

I think most importantly, laptop or desktop, you want at bare minimum an SSD (solid state disk) as opposed to an HDD. Even better if you can get an m2 NVMe. Many prebuilt systems for whatever reason toss a HDD in, even if it's just a second drive. They are slow and clunky and more prone to hardware failure.

I suppose this is a non-answer. Easy answer is look at the recommended specs for the Sims 4, and get better than that -- as much as your budget will allow.

Edit: Laptops usually use a smaller, less powerful, made-for-laptops graphics card. These are not being used by cryptocurrency miners so you have a better chance of getting more bang for your buck. A quick google search showed me you can get a laptop with a 2060rtx, which is the last generation midrange card and an i7 CPU for $1100, or the desktop 2060 rtx only (nothing else, just the card) for $800-900. Unfortunately, even the lower range cards desktop version are going up in price. I looked up a 1650 gtx, which is a budget gaming card, and the desktop version is going for between $400 - $500 while you can get a laptop with that card for just a couple hundred more.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2021
    trophy wrote: »

Think it depends too on how you play the game. I looked at the OP’s tumblr accounts linked in their signature to get a feel for their play style and the sims are wearing alpha hair which can have high polygons. If they only use for photos it is probably fine but gameplay would probably require a stronger pc as @logion suggested.

@wrswrs2 how do you currently play the game? Do you download and use cc, especially higher polygon or alpha? Is that only for photos and do you play with only vanilla assets? Any other games you wish to play now or in the future? Do you have a budget in mind? This might help in finding the right PC for you.

Usually I use the alpha for photos, but when I play the game I don't use it. I do like a lot of CC though. Mostly CAS, but some build mode as well Usually I just like building and then taking photos, but I do also play legacy challenges.

To those that suggested laptops, I am not a fan of them. I like having a big monitor and separate keyboard + mouse etc.

Also it took me like 25 minutes just to get this computer on today. So I don't think I can really wait to do a custom one. I just need something prebuilt and ready to order.

Is this a good opion, or is it to over laded?
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-500gb-ssd/6452139.p?skuId=6452139&fbclid=IwAR07U9gX_G1jop5c9x-Mj4Cmmw5D89nH2XCItAnnssW7Rg2fYIL-hqaBziU

I guess I can afford a little over 1,000, but much over that is too much. My current computer was around $800 and barely lasted me 4 years.
    wrswrs2 wrote: »

Usually I use the alpha for photos, but when I play the game I don't use it. I do like a lot of CC though. Mostly CAS, but some build mode as well Usually I just like building and then taking photos, but I do also play legacy challenges.

To those that suggested laptops, I am not a fan of them. I like having a big monitor and separate keyboard + mouse etc.

Also it took me like 25 minutes just to get this computer on today. So I don't think I can really wait to do a custom one. I just need something prebuilt and ready to order.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-500gb-ssd/6452139.p?skuId=6452139&fbclid=IwAR07U9gX_G1jop5c9x-Mj4Cmmw5D89nH2XCItAnnssW7Rg2fYIL-hqaBziU

I guess I can afford a little over 1,000, but much over that is too much. My current computer was around $800 and barely lasted me 4 years.

That's a good price for a computer with a RTX 3060, the only thing I would do is upgrade to 16GB RAM. I think investing in a computer like that one you linked is a good decision so you will get something that will last.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Yeah I agree with @logion, if it were me, I would most definitely either upgrade to 16GB of memory or find one that already has those specs.

Not only is it good for gaming, it's just good all around for anything you're doing, especially if you're like me and you have a billion programs opened up at the same time.

At almost any given time I am running all of these programs simultaneously with no lagging in performance:
    • Chrome (for work, I work from home)
    • Firefox (that's my preferred browser for non-work related stuff), with at least 5 websites opened
    • Sims4Studio
    • Paintshop Pro (almost always open, I'm a CC Creator)
    • Occasionally Photoshop in addition to Paintshop Pro
    • Blender (If I'm working on a mesh)
    • Skype (on 100% of the time)
    • TS4 (I'm in and out of my game all the time when creating)

edited May 2021
    Okay. If I have TS4 on now I can't do anything else, so I guess upping to 16 GB RAM makes sense. Of course it makes it $1200, but I have a Best Buy credit card so I should be able to pay it off over time w/o interest.

ETA: wait, that option isn't available.
    edited May 2021
    edited May 2021

Yes, you have 4 memory slots. It's odd that they say that the configuration is not available because I'm assuming that the configuration uses two 4GB RAM cards. So to get 16 they only need to insert two more of the same cards.

Maybe you could call them and ask why that option is not available?

I think the first bestbuy computer you linked was the best one, but it's difficult to tell.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited May 2021

That's a good price for a computer with a RTX 3060, the only thing I would do is upgrade to 16GB RAM. I think investing in a computer like that one you linked is a good decision so you will get something that will last.

That doesn't have an 3060 RTX -- that's the AMD CPU (Ryzen 5 3600). It has a radeon rx 580 which, while not bad at all, is the equivalent to a 1660 gtx.
    edited May 2021

Yes, you have 4 memory slots. It's odd that they say that the configuration is not available because I'm assuming that the configuration uses two 4GB RAM cards. So to get 16 they only need to insert two more of the same cards.

Maybe you could call them and ask why that option is not available?

I think the bestbuy computer is better than the dell one, the graphics card is better. It has 2GB more video memory.

Okay, last option!

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-tg01-1070m-3g825av-1

It can be upgraded to a 16 GB RAM too.

Ugh, but I just saw it ships 6/7. My computer can't last that long lol.
    edited May 2021
    Felicity wrote: »

That doesn't have an 3600 RTX -- that's the AMD CPU. It has a radeon rx 580 which, while not bad at all, is the equivalent to a 1660 gtx.

I just noticed and changed what I commented, so yeah, I think the first one that was linked was the best one. Which was this one I believe? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-1tb-hdd-500gb-ssd-black/6455898.p?skuId=6455898

It's odd that if you change to 16GB RAM then it's sold out, all that they should do is insert two more 4 GB RAM cards... maybe they are inserting two 8GB RAM cards and are sold out on those.
    Felicity wrote: »

That doesn't have an 3600 RTX -- that's the AMD CPU. It has a radeon rx 580 which, while not bad at all, is the equivalent to a 1660 gtx.

I just noticed and changed what I commented, so yeah, I think the first one you linked was the best one. Upgrading that one to 16GB is not difficult.

Okay, so this one from Best Buy is the best option then?

Al the talk of radeon rx 580 or 3600 RTX is too confusing for me :lol: I am hopeless with computer specs!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top