Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't edit CAW in game

Pretty new to CAW so I apologize if I'm doing something newbie lol. I've looked around a bit for an answer but I didn't see a problem quite like mine. I'm trying to find out why when I try to edit my CAW world in game it just hangs on the game loading, it doesn't even get to the menu screen. It just sits there on the loading screen, not moving an inch. Am I suppose to open my game first? Any help would be wonderful

Comments

• Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    If you have a lot of store / custom content - and are on the 1.69 version of TS3 - you won't be able to EIG. What you have to do is remove your mods folder as well as the DCCache folder. You can then EIG and save.
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    Thank you SO much - that's what it is. I have almost the whole store - how stupid to actually create and sell content that isn't fully compatible. (And yes I know, I know it's sort of their own personal mantra there at Maxis, but it's still exasperating. TY so much! This helps immensely!
  • Options
    @KatyFernlily Does this mean custom worlds can't be built with store items in them? I was hoping to add an amusement park, I'll be bummed lol
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited April 2021
    @AbellaKellaher
    I’ve built worlds with store content in them, usually just the free store content, but it’s store content none the less. I doubt that it’s store content that’s keeping you from running edit in game unless there is a serious bug with something in the store that EA / Maxis never fixed that I don’t know about.

You should be able to build your world with an amusement park.
  • Options
    Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    My game did this before. It was happening in all worlds, not just custom. So maybe not the same thing? But you can try this - in your sims 3 documents folder, open the DCCache folder. In that folder there's a file called missingdeps.idx , make a back up of that file somewhere to be safe, then delete the file in your DCCache folder. The game regenerates it. I don't remember where I picked up this tip from, but it fixed my freezing, maybe it can fix yours.
  • Options
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    @AbellaKellaher
    I’ve built worlds with store content in them, usually just the free store content, but it’s store content none the less. I doubt that it’s store content that’s keeping you from running edit in game unless there is a serious bug with something in the store that EA / Maxis never fixed that I don’t know about.

You should be able to build your world with an amusement park.

Oh thank you so much Damien! I only have a few mods (mostly NRAAS) so doing without those should be easy enough! I'm a happy girl now! 😊
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited April 2021
    AbellaKkellaher - When you remove the folders I mention, the game generates new ones - you can add the store items to that empty folder that is generated and it will then be in the world. For example, I'm working on a world that I wanted the Humble Harvest Stands in. That object was in my launcher so I installed it (it goes into that empty folder). I can now use it in my world. I'm unsure on the exact amount of store / custom content that will make editing in EIG stop working.

Just remember to put those folders back in your game once you are finished with your world, if you want your custom content, that is. After working on this world without cc/store content, I find the game runs more smoothly and there are only certain things I miss. Mostly decor plants, paintings and of course sims hair, makeup and clothes. And some windows, doors and patterns. I guess that's almost everything! lol.
  • Options
    AbellaKkellaher - When you remove the folders I mention, the game generates new ones - you can add the store items to that empty folder that is generated and it will then be in the world. For example, I'm working on a world that I wanted the Humble Harvest Stands in. That object was in my launcher so I installed it (it goes into that empty folder). I can now use it in my world. I'm unsure on the exact amount of store / custom content that will make editing in EIG stop working.

Just remember to put those folders back in your game once you are finished with your world, if you want your custom content, that is. After working on this world without cc/store content, I find the game runs more smoothly and there are only certain things I miss. Mostly decor plants, paintings and of course sims hair, makeup and clothes. And some windows, doors and patterns. I guess that's almost everything! lol.

Oh that makes sense, thanks for the suggestion!