Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sacred Candle Question

Is there a way to keep the sacred candles from burning all the way down? Like we can with the candles that sims make at their candle making station that came in ELS.

Comments

• Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't think there's any way to keep them from burning down except not using them.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Maybe they should code the sacred candles in such a way so that they won't burn down. Or at least share the cheat code so that we can stop that. They must have a cheat code that prevents these candles from burning down while they are still lit right?
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I mean (at least for me) you get 3 for every bit of wax you receive, plus you can get them in the rewards section. I haven’t run out yet, Guidry gives you some, and giving gifts to the cute ghosts often results in some as well. If all else fails you can buy them using debug in build/buy mode. I also make sure to extinguish them so they aren’t burning when they’re not needed.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I so wish these candles would have been connected to the candle maker career (ECO Lifestyle). Can high skilled candle makers craft sacred candles, or do we now have two candle making features? I don't have the Para pack yet.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I so wish these candles would have been connected to the candle maker career (ECO Lifestyle). Can high skilled candle makers craft sacred candles, or do we now have two candle making features? I don't have the Para pack yet.

To paraphrase Guidry's quote when you ask him for something to fight being scared "You don't need to be one of those Evergreen Harbor Hipsters to make these either."

So, no, you don't need the candle making station. Just shape the wax, I guess.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

To paraphrase Guidry's quote when you ask him for something to fight being scared "You don't need to be one of those Evergreen Harbor Hipsters to make these either."

So, no, you don't need the candle making station. Just shape the wax, I guess.

Cool, so there is actually a reference to EH :)
  • Options
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I mean (at least for me) you get 3 for every bit of wax you receive, plus you can get them in the rewards section. I haven’t run out yet, Guidry gives you some, and giving gifts to the cute ghosts often results in some as well. If all else fails you can buy them using debug in build/buy mode. I also make sure to extinguish them so they aren’t burning when they’re not needed.
    The last time that I had gotten sacred candles. A green specter gave my sim three sets of these candles after having given the specter a black and white beanie.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    What do the specters like, other than knitted items?
    My Sim loves to cook and I've tried to give them food, but they don't seem to like anything, they hate everything, I haven't gotten any gifts from them. I don't want to give them paintings or books because my Sims need money desperately and those are way too valuable to just give away. They have to be able to pay the rent too. It's hard enough for a Sim to write books (or paint) when she's constantly being scared.
    I'm trying to save reward points for the brave trait, I really don't want to waste them on candles if there's another way to get them. Guidry hasn't given my Sims anything either. :/
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Kimmer wrote: »
    My Sim loves to cook and I've tried to give them food, but they don't seem to like anything, they hate everything, I haven't gotten any gifts from them. I don't want to give them paintings or books because my Sims need money desperately and those are way too valuable to just give away. They have to be able to pay the rent too. It's hard enough for a Sim to write books (or paint) when she's constantly being scared.
    I'm trying to save reward points for the brave trait, I really don't want to waste them on candles if there's another way to get them. Guidry hasn't given my Sims anything either. :/
    Have no idea. I just know that only some like knitted stuff. And I do mean some because I had a blue specter turn down a beanie.
    Note: The knitted item will disappear from your sim's personal inventory regardless if the specter accepts the item or not.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Have no idea. I just know that only some like knitted stuff. And I do mean some because I had a blue specter turn down a beanie.
    Note: The knitted item will disappear from your sim's personal inventory regardless if the specter accepts the item or not.
    I guess I'll just have to keep trying with different foods. Also I think I may try some woodworking table items, they're quite fast to make and it gets the handiness skill up too. I'd try knitting too, but I don't think it's a hobby that suits for the Sims that I'm playing with in this save.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I guess I'll just have to keep trying with different foods. Also I think I may try some woodworking table items, they're quite fast to make and it gets the handiness skill up too. I'd try knitting too, but I don't think it's a hobby that suits for the Sims that I'm playing.
    That's the only thing that we can do to answer this question. The only thing that I know is what the devs said about things offered to the specter. Devs said that the offer must be a crafted item. Which I would think would include any food item that a sim has prepared them self. I would try any baked good such as muffins and cakes and such first. But bottom line is just try offer them any crafted item that the sim has made.
  • Options

I had some luck with baked goods, if you have Get to Work. At least with the Happy (green) Specters

Getting candle wax from Guidry requires asking him for a way to not be so scared when your sim is terrified. It's on the second "page" of Guidry interactions, and only available if your sim is terrified.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,023 Member
    My specters gave a thumbs-up for leftover tofu hot dogs and eggs with toast. They also liked the knitted goods. I think the gift has to be homemade--baked or crafted. They didn't accept fresh produce from the garden or sacked lunches though. I haven't tried paintings, flower arrangements, or woodworks.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I had some luck with baked goods, if you have Get to Work. At least with the Happy (green) Specters

Getting candle wax from Guidry requires asking him for a way to not be so scared when your sim is terrified. It's on the second "page" of Guidry interactions, and only available if your sim is terrified.
    Thanks. I've asked the question from Guidry but he didn't give me anything, I'll have to do it again. I'll also try baked goods. :)
  • Options
    I’ve had luck with potions from ROM, and candles from eco (the cylinder or rectangle ones). I’ve also discovered that buying the items on plopsy saves time for busy Sims.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    A certain randomness is involved regarding the success of the crafted offerings for the specters, in my experience. Just because a knitted penguin worked once, it does not mean it will work on the next specter. And I also use the small sculptures from the woodworking table as offerings, so that is definitely an option.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I've had some success with Franks And Beans and with Chocolate Chip Cookies. They didn't work every time though.
  • Options
    I’ve had luck with potions from ROM, and candles from eco (the cylinder or rectangle ones). I’ve also discovered that buying the items on plopsy saves time for busy Sims.
    Those would be something that are made by a sim. So the specters should accept those offerings, but not all specters will.
  • Options
    Those would be something that are made by a sim. So the specters should accept those offerings, but not all specters will.
    Yeah I’ve noticed it varies in what they accept. I don’t mind though, as it adds a bit of challenge to it.
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve noticed it varies in what they accept. I don’t mind though, as it adds a bit of challenge to it.
    To me it's more like trying to solve a mystery when you are trying to figure out what each specter will accept as an offering. Like the other day, I had learned that one blue specter will not accept a beanie as an offering. And I found this out by trying to offer one to a blue specter.
  • Options
    Can I ask a quick Q that isn't necessarily related to candles, but I'll make it related, lol :)

Is any spooky activity restricted to night hours? If so, what hours is prime time?

To make it relevant; How many hours will my sleeping sim need protection from those sacred candles, and will each candle burn for those hours?
  • Options
    Can I ask a quick Q that isn't necessarily related to candles, but I'll make it related, lol :)

Is any spooky activity restricted to night hours? If so, what hours is prime time?

To make it relevant; How many hours will my sleeping sim need protection from those sacred candles, and will each candle burn for those hours?

I wasn't timing it, but they'll last for at least a Sim day, possibly two. And you can extinguish them and relight them to make them last longer too. Unfortunately, extinguishing and relighting isn't a radio action, so your sim will have to go do those things.

Some specter activity can happen at any time, but 9pm to 6am is when most of it goes down, mostly in the midnight to ... I want to say two or three range.

(My spellcaster sim just made it through her first week at Uni. Yes, she had to pop a few Potions of Plentiful needs early on, but by the end of the term, she could even sleep through the night. I even let her once. :wink: )
  • Options

I wasn't timing it, but they'll last for at least a Sim day, possibly two. And you can extinguish them and relight them to make them last longer too. Unfortunately, extinguishing and relighting isn't a radio action, so your sim will have to go do those things.

Some specter activity can happen at any time, but 9pm to 6am is when most of it goes down, mostly in the midnight to ... I want to say two or three range.

(My spellcaster sim just made it through her first week at Uni. Yes, she had to pop a few Potions of Plentiful needs early on, but by the end of the term, she could even sleep through the night. I even let her once. :wink: )

Thanks, that was useful! :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    They seem like a waste of aspiration points to me. I got some for my current family and they only lasted a very short time. Thinking about it I think it's just better to just save the aspiration points and buy the brave trait. It's expensive but permanent.
  • Options
    It does occur to me that Sacred Candles may burn down faster if the Spiritual Volatility of a residence is high. The more work they have to do, the faster they burn.

Which is a nice little bit of tuning if true.

I had my sim perform a ceremony at least every other day to keep things peaceful