Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Share Your Sims' Fear!

With the drop of the new Scared emotion, I expect there will be some new surprises and memorable moments for all.

So share your scared Sims stories and screenshots here!
#Team Occult

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I've been playing for five minutes since the update and I've aready made contact with it. :D

ts4_x642021-01-2119-402kx2.jpg
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    My asylum inmate tried using the Mischief - Scare interaction repeatedly on his fellow inmates, no scared buff. D: Guess I'm waiting for my first death to see if the ghost invokes fear.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish

Awesome :)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Well, one of the asylum just autonomously fed on some one whilst at a museum trip. No one batted an eyelid. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, there is no option for fear if you use 'Surge Emotion'. The closest is 'on edge', which is tense. D:
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    edited January 2021
    CelSims wrote: »
    Well, one of the asylum just autonomously fed on some one whilst at a museum trip. No one batted an eyelid. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, there is no option for fear if you use 'Surge Emotion'. The closest is 'on edge', which is tense. D:

Yeah. First thing I did was go into a Vampire household. Some mortal came knocking on the door so they let her in and fed on her. After she regained consciousness, she hung around with no reaction.

So I took them all to the park. There were three Sims standing around talking. Dropped one of them with a deep drink and the most I got was the other two made a quick shocked reaction and then went back to smiling, happily talking about grilled cheese.

Um...did the devs completely forget Vampires when they made the Scared emotion??
    Post edited by LiELF on
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    LiELF wrote: »

Yeah. First thing I did was go into a Vampire household. Some mortal came knocking on the door so they let him in and fed on him. After she regained consciousness, she hung around with no reaction.

So I took them all to the park. There were three Sims standing around talking. Dropped one of them with a deep drink and the most I got was the other two made a quick shocked reaction and then went back to smiling, happily talking about grilled cheese.

Um...did the devs completely forget Vampires when they made the Scared emotion??

I had a sim use the 'confess fear of vampires' chat option, in case it added a hidden trait to make them scared. Nope.

I'm using the haunted lot trait and it kicked in this evening as the inmates tried to sleep. It was pretty funny to see three of them screaming at each other and running round. Then they went back to playing on the swing and computer games despite still being scared.
  • Options

Yeah. First thing I did was go into a Vampire household. Some mortal came knocking on the door so they let him in and fed on him. After she regained consciousness, she hung around with no reaction.

I had a sim use the 'confess fear of vampires' chat option, in case it added a hidden trait to make them scared. Nope.

I just tweeted them on Twitter about it, so hopefully they'll see it and make a response.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member

How did the Sim's react before? Because if they weren't tense from it before they likely won't be scared now. The blog says the "changed moodlets" but didn't say anything about adding any to new situations.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited January 2021
    Maybe if we make a list where we expect to see fear it could help?
    Glad you started the thread I was thinking about doing one to see what's happening. I'm checking in game now too. I went on a hike with my sim and no fear from the bugs. Although gotta wonder if some could be or should be trait related also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    Alex Goth get visited by the monster under the bed and, of course, I made him Scream Incoherently on Mortimer 😌

Now Mort got this moodlet "Irrational Danger" (+2 Scared) with Ghostface as icon?! Love it.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2021

From what I understood from simGuruConor's tweet, in this update he mostly changed emotions in the game where it would make sense for sims to be scared where they usually were tense. For example sims being scared of thunderstorms where they usually would be tense.

That means that if sims were not tense or reacting to vampires before, they will probably not be scared now either.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »

How did the Sim's react before? Because if they weren't tense from it before they likely won't be scared now. The blog says the "changed moodlets" but didn't say anything about adding any to new situations.

They get an Uncomfortable moodlet when bitten, which should be changed to Scared. And reactions should be added.

Another note: Spellcasters who cast in public and set Sims on fire, ZipZap, or other devious things, get only a quick surprised reaction and no fear. This also needs to be looked at.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

From what I understood from simGuruConor's tweet, in this update he mostly changed emotions in the game where it would make sense for sims to be scared where they usually were tense. For example sims being scared of thunderstorms where they usually would be tense.

That means that if sims were not tense or reacting to vampires before, they will probably not be scared now either.

Yeah, and I mean, it's a great start to do the easier changeovers. I understand that it will most likely be a process to get the new emotion incorporated more intuitively.

But honestly...scared of thunderstorms but not of a wizard setting you afire or a Vampire sticking their fangs into your boyfriend and dropping him to the ground like a hot potato? I just think it needs more work, so I hope they have plans for it.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    If this is just a base to start from and introduce the other changes that are needed later, that's fine. As is it's clearly missing some common sense reactions. If nothing else it demonstrates just how lacking the game is without fear - did any one even notice that watching a vampire bite some one was just an autonomous action and didn't even produce feeling 'tense'? No wonder I have a bunch of Zer0s occult mods.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes, I have already had my first experience with the new emotion.

Instead of vampires, I sent my sims to Sulani and added mermaids and ghosts. Sharks now make sims scared, being pulled underwater makes sims scared, seing ghosts possess things makes sims scared, thalassophobia makes sims scared, earthquakes makes sims scared. Paranoid sims used to get a tense moodlet when being near other sims talking, now it's a scared moodlet. You need 4 points for it to go to Terrified state, so it is the first emotion where the second state isn't named very [emotion name].

Some interactions get renamed. For example (from my memory) Go... here?, Nap?, Sleep?, Panicked poop, and Cautiously shower.
    Plus additionally, if you send a scared sim to sleep or take a nap, they will wake up earlier and you get a notification that they had a nightmare. One mentioned doing a test when naked and another said that they got everything they wanted (again from my memory). So that's back someway...

Oh, and haunted lot trait got renamed to spooky and had description changed (it no longer says "Locals say this place is haunted. Pah! What do they know?" but it now says that ghosts tend to wander into this lot).
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Here's another thing which feels off. Aubrey woke up scared due to the haunted lot trait and cowered under the covers. A ghost appears in the bathroom. I send him in there, no reaction to the ghost. His options are the usual introduction options. Once he introduced himself he could then choose to scream incoherently at it. So, he was scared by the lot in general, but actually seeing the ghost produced no response. Sigh.

Edit: Thanks to a vampire spending her entire time in the Asylum sunbathing, they all just met Death. He's not scary either.
  • Options
    Here's another thing which feels off. Aubrey woke up scared due to the haunted lot trait and cowered under the covers. A ghost appears in the bathroom. I send him in there, no reaction to the ghost. His options are the usual introduction options. Once he introduced himself he could then choose to scream incoherently at it. So, he was scared by the lot in general, but actually seeing the ghost produced no response. Sigh.

Edit: Thanks to a vampire spending her entire time in the Asylum sunbathing, they all just met Death. He's not scary either.

I suppose they didn't want Grim to be scary because it would disrupt the ability to save a Sim's life through interactions. But it would be nice if there was at least a short reaction first.

I think I'm going to take some Sims into the Jungle. I'm a little apprehensive, but we'll see what happens.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2021
    "day phobia" (the vampire weakness) still seems to be tied to a tense moodlet. (not sure if this is due to an oversight or not)
    Post edited by intothehorizone on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Oh dear. Doesn't sound good.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2021
    I totally called it. It's mostly an aesthetic fix that involves simply calling my 'tense' emotion 'Scared' instead, and giving Sims a 'Scared' picture, since my Sim battled and Attempted to Battle (and failed) the Mother Plant with nothing but the usual Dazed and Very Angry consequences.

She's Scared of the vines that come up in the drain though. Or at least it says she is.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    i think this update mostly consisted of converting already existing yet outlying 'tense' moodlets in the game, which is sort of disappointing, so hopefully they expand on/revisit it in the future.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    i think this update mostly consisted of converting already existing yet outlying 'tense' moodlets in the game, which is sort of disappointing, so hopefully they expand on/revisit it in the future.

Seeing that they only patch once a month hopefully mods will come until they patch it in in the meantime

• Options
    edited January 2021
    okay so, i'm currently on a 'spooky' lot, and my sim has yet to get the 'scared' moodlet; i'm assuming this is because i have no ghosts on that lot (yet). due to this, i'm thinking that it is maybe the act of ghosts spawning (and not just the lot trait existing) that causes the moodlet to form. (which is good, i think?)

update/edit:

a ghost just spawned, and she now has the scared moodlet; seems like my theory was right(?)

edit 2: i sat in the lot for a while, and the moodlet faded as soon as the ghost left
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Paranoid sims used to get a tense moodlet when being near other sims talking, now it's a scared moodlet.

Why? :s This one should have stayed paranoid. What's the point of paranoid now? :/ If nothing else, it should have started as paranoid, then progressed if they were in the vicinity of the chatty Sims for a longer period of time.
    It looks like they definitely need a few adjustments.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Paranoid sims used to get a tense moodlet when being near other sims talking, now it's a scared moodlet.

Why? :s This one should have stayed paranoid. What's the point of paranoid now? :/ If nothing else, it should have started as paranoid, then progressed if they were in the vicinity of the chatty Sims for a longer period of time.
    It looks like they definitely need a few adjustments.

Another discovery!

It seems like you can't buy brave trait for sims with paranoid trait.
    It seems like it is becoming some short of coward trait now...