Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims nationalities

Β«13
bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
i'm aware they are only sims therefore don't exist, but given ea keeps talking about representation and cultures i took a couple of minutes to wonder & search where could some ts4 premades "be" from, so i based on their surname, their features and the packs they're in to kinda get where did devs took the inspiration to make them. some packs are strongly based on irl places, so acting like their premades were made casually is quite naΓ―ve. but anyways don't take this too seriously as it's just a thread for fun.
so what do you think?

Base Game
Bella Goth: italian/hispanic
Mortimer Goth: french/american/german
the Calientes: hispanic/arabic
the Landgraabs: french/english american
Alice Spencer-Kim: korean

Get Together
the Villareal: spanish/french
the Munch: german/austrian
the Bjergsens: danish/swedish
the Behr: german/japanese
the Fyres: irish
Ulrike Faust: german
Maaike Haas: dutch
Sergio Romeo: spanish/italian
Joaquin Le Chien: french/spanish
Eva Capricciosa: italian
Jade Rosa: hispanic
Paolo Rocca: italian

City Living
the Fengs: chinese
the Bheeda: indian
the Rasoya: indian
Akira Kibo: japanese
Miko Ojo: japanese
Darling Walsh: english

Get Famous
Venessa Jeong: korean

Island Living & Snowy Escape
sulani premades are based on polynesian islands and mt komorebi premades are based on japan.

thank you all for keeping it civilized! will update with newer sims!
Post edited by bella_goth on

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Fun fact -- in my canon, Candy Behr's real name is Miyoko. She hates it; thinks it sounds too ethnic so she goes by her stage name. Her sister calls her Miyoko when they fight because it really winds Candy up.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Just going by surnames, I’d put the Landgraabs down as Dutch.
  • Options
    So_Money wrote: Β»

dutch? is it for the aa on the surname or there's a dutch meaning?

i put them as french because on sims 3 they have a mansion on champ les sims, but also english because their surname is a play on land grabbing. they have also similar surname sims on the sims medieval which, given how rich they are on every game, could mean they are very old money.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2020

i put them as french because on sims 3 they have a mansion on champ les sims, but also english because their surname is a play on land grabbing. they have also similar surname sims on the sims medieval which, given how rich they are on every game, could mean they are very old money.

Yeah, at a glance it’s the β€œlong vowels” (aa) that you see a lot of in the Dutch language.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited December 2020

Yeah, at a glance it’s the β€œlong vowels” (aa) that you see a lot of in the Dutch language.

I thought they'd be Dutch as well. But I agree with a lot of the others. And that's interesting reasoning for their being French. Maybe they're of Dutch descent but live in France.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Actually, in Dutch it would be Landgraaf, so not sure who put the b on the end, because that's not typical for Dutch names. I do believe the Landgraab family is called Landgraaf in the Dutch version of the game.
    I'd rather think their name comes from "land grab" and the added "a" is to make it look fancier. I mean, that would fit with how they accumulated their money.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2020
    How come you skipped some of the families from these packs?
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: Β»
    How come you skipped some of the families from these packs?

some are based on tv shows (like the roomies) some are from sims spin offs (the BFF are mysims characters) some i forgot and some i have no idea. but i will list the ones i forgot to add:
    the Jang: not sure, google says their surname is korean, Baako is an Akan name, searched it and google says the Akan are an ethnic group that lives on Ghana, the Ivory Coast and Togo, and their language is from the niger-congo family. regarding Anaya and Billie, they are names very common everywhere and different google sites claim a different origin place for them so i couldn't really tell.
    Diego Lobo: hispanic
  • Options
    sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    Bella is not Hispanic, don't forget that she's actually Bella Bachelor, which is a British name, her parents Simis and Jocasta are also British names (imported from other parts of Europe, but have a history/presence in Britain), and of course her brother Michael.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I would say Bjergsen would be more danish than swedish; very uncommon name in Sweden, and the spelling is danish.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Bella is not Hispanic, don't forget that she's actually Bella Bachelor, which is a British name, her parents Simis and Jocasta are also British names (imported from other parts of Europe, but have a history/presence in Britain), and of course her brother Michael.

Bella is an italian/spanish word meaning beautiful (in feminine singular form, the masculine version would be bello), i didn't look on her maiden name because, as many ts2 surnames, they're rather focused on the household characteristics rather than a nationality (think of the pleasants, the grunts, the curious, the broke, the dreamer, etc, also these names translate depending on the language you set the game) i was hesitating whether to add the Goths to this list for the same reason, but given how they are a tribute to the Addams family i added them. i think Bella is to Gomez what Mortimer is to Morticia, for their names and their personality.

also according to google Simis is a pun for "sim is bachelor" about Jocasta and Michael i guess they're common names in uk but like you said they're from other parts, Jocasta having a greek origin and Michael being a biblical name.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    Interesting topic. I've often wondered the same - simulated or not, they're meant to represent real people so it's obvious many of them are based on real ethnicities, nationalities, and races.
    • I'd pin Salim Benali to be Arab based on his name.
    • Zoe Patel is Indian.
    • Lee (for Liberty Lee) is a common surname in many countries, notably Korea, China, and Vietnam, so who knows what she is.
    • Don is widely believed to be Italian, but I also read that the word lothario has Spanish origins.
    • Mitchell Kalani is Hawaiian, as is Kai Kahue, Keala Hoapili, the Kealohas, and the Kahananuis. Oliana Ngata is Māori.
    • The Delgatos in Brindleton Bay.. well, their surname means "of the cat" in Spanish..
    OEII1001 wrote: Β»
    Fun fact -- in my canon, Candy Behr's real name is Miyoko. She hates it; thinks it sounds too ethnic so she goes by her stage name. Her sister calls her Miyoko when they fight because it really winds Candy up.

Haha, I love that! Miyoko is a cute name. :) I can totally see Candy frowning and swiping at Yuki's head when she calls her Miyoko.

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @CherryBerryCloud oof i forgot Salim Benali too, yes pretty sure he's meant to be arabic! (not sure of from where exactly , but meant to have arabic origins for sure). regarding some roomies, if it wasn't for their reference to "new girl" i'd have also guessed Zoe Patel is indian and Mitchell Kalani is hawaiian. regarding Liberty i also thought she was meant to be chinese but i wasn't sure.
    as for Don Lothario, like you said the Lotario name is more known for a spanish character in The Impertinent Curious, a novel inside the Don Quixote novel by Miguel de Cervantes, but Don seems to be also inspired on Don Juan who is also a fictional spanish character. both Lotario and Don Juan main characteristics are their seducer and libertine nature, so i guess devs took these references and made him.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I guess no African American? Lol. I think the spencer side in spencer-kims are
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020

It's fine there no Scottish either πŸ˜‚, we need a Scottish sim called Hamish Murdoch, he could have stereotype hair colour red, big built, kilt and shouts forbidden words all the time and plays the bagpipes, I'd love it lol
    Edit: so more and less the fat Scottish guy in Austin Powers πŸ˜‚ we need a character like him lol, Mike Myers done the Scottish accent brilliantly 🀣, us scots find it hilarious how films portrays us lol @StrawberryYogurt
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2020
    Actually, in Dutch it would be Landgraaf, so not sure who put the b on the end, because that's not typical for Dutch names. I do believe the Landgraab family is called Landgraaf in the Dutch version of the game.
    I'd rather think their name comes from "land grab" and the added "a" is to make it look fancier. I mean, that would fit with how they accumulated their money.

The name was the name of a real CEO at EA. Most of the names that have been carried over from one generation of Simmers to the next are real people's names that worked on the games or at EA etc. Yes, Goopy was a real person. :) developer, Landgrabb, Le Tourneau etc. were real people, men who either had invested in EA or were upper crusty CEOs and some of the developers/producers such as Tim Le Tourneau. Had nothing to do with nationalities and or diversty. ETA: Bella Goth was not of any particular nationalty in The Sims. She isn't even as dark skinned as TS4 created her. Nor is her hair correct. The Goths simply had either a particular head, and or outfit and were based/inspired on the characters from a cartoon in Will Wright's time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: Β»

The name was the name of a real CEO at EA. Most of the names that have been carried over from one generation of Simmers to the next are real people's names that worked on the games or at EA etc. Yes, Goopy was a real person. :) developer, Landgrabb, Le Tourneau etc. were real people, men who either had invested in EA or were upper crusty CEOs and some of the developers/producers such as Tim Le Tourneau. Had nothing to do with nationalities and or diversty. ETA: Bella Goth was not of any particular nationalty in The Sims. She isn't even as dark skinned as TS4 created her. Nor is her hair correct. The Goths simply had either a particular head, and or outfit and were based/inspired on the characters from a cartoon in Will Wright's time.

but Cinebar i remember we talked about this landgraab ceo on another thread and the only thing i had found was "Malcolm first appears in SimCity 3000, where he is the CEO of Landgraab Industries." https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Malcolm_Landgraab_(console)
    i would really love if some time it was possible you could provide the source. may he perhaps appear on the credits?

this is the Simcity Malcolm
    1a1Qa2Y.gif

perhaps the goths inspiration from the Addams could have been one of the references to create the goths aesthetic but not the main one, and this similarity was later more emphasized for example on Mortimer's outfit on ts3 which looks like Pugsley Addams's.
    i think devs had different sources of inspiration through the games, but also different devs had input on these premades so, many things are mismatched. who made ts4 Bella is not the same developer that made ts1 Bella, same with every premade.
    if it wasn't for the Addams i wouldn't have really put the Goths on this list. because like other premades especially on ts2 (pleasants, deamers, grunts, etc), rather than by nationality they seem more based on a characteristic that defines them.
  • Options

yes most likely! i have a hard time spotting someone from the usa. the reason i have put Mortimer as american was for the Addams, and the Landgraabs because it was rather a personal observation, but other than them i don't know.
  • Options
    Nikkih wrote: Β»

It's fine there no Scottish either πŸ˜‚, we need a Scottish sim called Hamish Murdoch, he could have stereotype hair colour red, big built, kilt and shouts forbidden words all the time and plays the bagpipes, I'd love it lol
    Edit: so more and less the fat Scottish guy in Austin Powers πŸ˜‚ we need a character like him lol, Mike Myers done the Scottish accent brilliantly 🀣, us scots find it hilarious how films portrays us lol @StrawberryYogurt

cartoons tend to use stereotypes to represent something creators have in mind. the sims is a cartoony videogame caricaturizing irl aspects so of course it will always use some stereotypes, rl is too complex for a game.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited December 2020
    @StrawberryYogurt USA like Canada is a great big melting pot of nationalities, so it would be impossible to define by the surnames. Only the Indians and Eskimos would be native in USA and Canada.
    oops no Eskimos in USA
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    edited December 2020

cartoons tend to use stereotypes to represent something creators have in mind. the sims is a cartoony videogame caricaturizing irl aspects so of course it will always use some stereotypes, rl is too complex for a game.

I know 😊, I think a stereotype scot is funny though, some people get offended by their stereotype, I find it hilarious and so does most people in Scotland think it's funny lol were not easy too offend that's not just a stereotype lol , the accent is the only thing that is right and as for swearing lol, me personally I swear alot 🀣, I couldn't be on live TV lol for the swearing and of course 98% of world wouldn't be able to understand me hahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I know 😊, I think a stereotype scot is funny though, some people get offended by their stereotype, I find it hilarious and so does most people in Scotland think it's funny lol were not easy too offend that's not just a stereotype lol , the accent is the only thing that is right and as for swearing lol, me personally I swear alot 🀣, I couldn't be on live TV lol for the swearing and of course 98% of world wouldn't be able to understand me hahaha

i think some stereotypes are fun but some are just meant to hurt. when people makes fun and harmless stereotypes of where i'm from i can't help it but facepalm at the typical things but also have a good laugh.
    hmm, when i think of a scottish stereotype i think of Willie from the simpsons! is he accurate? haha
    ohh and also this video i found hilarious! what do you think? stereotypes aside i think Scotland is beautiful, and i should really search more about it. <3
  • Options
    edited December 2020

i think some stereotypes are fun but some are just meant to hurt. when people makes fun and harmless stereotypes of where i'm from i can't help it but facepalm at the typical things but also have a good laugh.
    hmm, when i think of a scottish stereotype i think of Willie from the simpsons! is he accurate? haha
    ohh and also this video i found hilarious! what do you think? stereotypes aside i think Scotland is beautiful, and i should really search more about it. <3

Yes ! That's how alot of us talk like 🀣, I speak like that 'oan it' 🀣🀣🀣🀣, that's spot on lol there's a moose loose aboot this hoose lol, willie from the Simpsons is a bit of a mixture his accent is right 🀣, hes what we sound like tryna be polite πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, here's a video you may like lol
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    ohh and also this video i found hilarious! what do you think?

Oh my gosh, that had me in stitches. I'm not actually sure how much the subtitles helped, lol. I love John Hannah, I thought he was British because of his accent in The Mummy. Then I saw him on a Scottish TV talk show and found out he was Scottish and I couldn't understand. One. Single. Word. LOL! No subtitles, either.

My current male sim is called John Ferguson! He's not too stereotypical. No red hair or bagpipes. He is fond of shouting forbidden words, though. He's currently expecting his first child with my simself, if it's a girl, Deborah, if it's a boy, Ewan! :smile:
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    ohh and also this video i found hilarious! what do you think?

Oh my gosh, that had me in stitches. I'm not actually sure how much the subtitles helped, lol. I love John Hannah, I thought he was British because of his accent in The Mummy. Then I saw him on a Scottish TV talk show and found out he was Scottish and I couldn't understand. One. Single. Word. LOL! No subtitles, either.

My current male sim is called John Ferguson! He's not too stereotypical. No red hair or bagpipes. He is fond of shouting forbidden words, though. He's currently expecting his first child with my simself, if it's a girl, Deborah, if it's a boy, Ewan! :smile:

Yes were quite hard too understand, now imagine us speaking through a mask 🀣🀣 @FatTribble23