Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Sims Game Should I Play a Custom Town in?

Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
I want to create a custom town with my own families, but idk which game to do it in. I was going to do it in The Sims 4, but the glitch that prevents birthdays has made the game unplayable for me since I'm a family player. My next choice is The Sims 2 because it's the best game for rotational play, but it may be tricky to keep all of the families the same age when only the active household is aging. In addition, the setup would probably take longer because I've never cheated skills and careers in TS2 before so I would have to learn how. My last resort would be The Sims 3, but I don't think I'll go with it because it's awful for rotational play.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Which Sims Game Should I Play a Custom Town in? 13 votes

Sims 2
53%
cmbaker16Felicity1169Sorak4EnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggecody6268Duvelina 7 votes
Sims 3
30%
simgirl1010luthienrisingClarionOfJoySERVERFRA 4 votes
Sims 4
15%
SsimgoddessHermitgirl 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    Sims 2
    I'd say the Sims 2 in the sense that switching neighbourhoods is much easier than TS3 makes for some much easier rotational play too, plus you wouldn't lose wishes while switching Sim family. It's fun to randomly trigger another custom Sim's fear and watch him hit aspiration failure without you ever directly playing him. Especially when you fill an apartment with CAS Sims.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Update: I figured out how to fix the birthday glitch. There are actually two possible causes. One is addressed in the video and the other is addressed in the comments section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkurExmQC5c
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Sims 2
    I say the Sims 2. It's easier to make a custom neighborhood since the tools are right in the game and it's great for rotational play. If you're worried about aging iirc You can select sims and townies your sim is friends with to age up with them during their birthday.
  • Options
    @Felicity1169 Actually, this only works for townies, not played sims. Played sims must all be aged up manually.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited November 2020
    Sims 2
    I'm confused on what you want. If you play your own families for the same amount of days, they will still age accordingly so why would it be a problem that only the active household ages?

There is a mod for TS2 out there that ages townies at 6 PM whenever they're on your lot or on a community lot while you're there. They wouldn't age regularly but would age somewhat. This doesn't work for playables though.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Duvelina I discovered the problem yesterday while playing the Pleasant twins. Angela went to college, but Lilith didn’t. Now, Lilith is older than Angela because sims in college go through the young adult stage while other sims don’t. Therefore, even if I play them for the same amount of days, Lilith will be much older.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sims 2
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @Duvelina I discovered the problem yesterday while playing the Pleasant twins. Angela went to college, but Lilith didn’t. Now, Lilith is older than Angela.

Ah, that's exactly what happened in my Pleasantview save too. I have a particular playing system where one day is one year, so I would play the entirety of a college year (so two semesters) where I would only play Lilith for one day. At the end, I'd add four days to Angela's age when she's an adult and they'd be the same age again because the game didn't see being a YA as a particular amount of days. They basically don't age days in college.
  • Options
    @Duvelina Thank you! I will try that!
  • Options
    Sims 2
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @Duvelina Thank you! I will try that!

You're welcome! I've been playing rotationally in TS2 for a while now (with all the shuffling around in terms of ages) so if you have more questions, I can probably help.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Sims 3
    Sims 3 has always worked for birthdays. Also, if you have Sims 3 Generations it's really fun.
    As for Sims 4, I suggest to use the CAS cheats & age up who you want to age up.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Sims 4
    Why don't you play with aging off and just age them during your rotation?.. or you can even age them up while playing a different family by bringing over a cake... I've done that pretty frequently. I've got a number of custom town saves.. usually I just chose for them to live in one or two of the "worlds". I play in rotation very easily that way. Of course I take forever to age sims up so it works really well for me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Sims 2
    TS2 for the reason noted above and that there is a large stash of neighborhood templates in there as well. Also, there is a version of Sim CIty (forget which one) that enables you to make your own templates. There are folks in the TS2 section that could help with that one.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited November 2020
    Sims 2
    With TS2, you can modify worlds in-game; and even create them without an external tool. You can create worlds from scratch using Sim City 4 (which I have; but have not figured out how to use for creating worlds in TS4 yet--and I've had SC4 for going on ten years now).

I couldn't get the CAW tool for TS3 working on one PC, and once I did on this one, I can't figure it out. The TS2 method is the easiest.

TS4. You pretty much can't. The environment cannot be changed, and you're stuck with the existing worlds and shell structures that cannot be removed. You cannot move/modify anything that isn't on an extant lot. Took a ton of headaches and cheats to modify the Strangerville lab; and even then, I had more trouble clearing the story using a mod and a series of cheats; so that it would remove hazards from the lot.