Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifestyles: how's your experience?

Comments

• Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I got the close-knit lifestyle for two of my Sims. One of them is an actor and she soon got the tense +5 moodlet, which effectively blocked her from any progress in the acting career and whatever I did, it just wouldn't leave. So I turned off lifestyles for the time being.

I wish there was more information on how they work and what to do in these type of situations.
  • Options
    Soulangel980Soulangel980 Posts: 29 Member
    So far not sure how much I am loving those. The single one is a bit annoying, as I like some control of certain things, and a sim being single is not because she wants to be. I would just remove that one, honestly.

I do enjoy the food ones though. For foodie sims, it adds an extra layer. I like having the alternative version for foods when a healthy food sim, using whole wheat and the likes. It probably goes well with vegetarian too. Fun to have a junk food fiend as well, surviving on pizza, quick meals, cake and vending machine food. Also neat to play a rehabilitation bit, which I did coming out of University, given she lived off of junk during that time. Then off to loose the wait and push through eating healthy. She was none too pleased.

I do love the coffee addiction one. I can relate all too well.

The hungry for love I guess adds a few interactions and moodlets for married sims. The sedentary kind of overlaps the couch potato trait, and the outdoorsy with the love outdoors one. I guess it's a way to sort of get an additional trait but that comes with talking interactions.

Little experience to date with the others, or saw very little of them.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It's a little bit buggy, (one of my sims has 6 lifestyles) but overall, I do like what they bring to the game. I feel like they give my sims a little more personality even if it's mostly just a moodlet thing. I like how it more governs their mood though over decor items. It makes way more sense to me that way. Decor items still count, but the lifestyles help give things an extra pull in the personality direction.

I definitely appreciate having them in the game but they aren't worth a full expansion price, they aren't something to buy the pack for or be the sole reason to buy the pack, but they are a fun and welcome addition IMO.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited November 2020
    The hungry for love I guess adds a few interactions and moodlets for married sims. The sedentary kind of overlaps the couch potato trait, and the outdoorsy with the love outdoors one. I guess it's a way to sort of get an additional trait but that comes with talking interactions.

Not sure if a bug or a mod issue, but the married couple in the save I currently play has no progress on 'Hungry for Love' despite doing a decent amount of romantic interactions in their everyday lives.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Some just don’t seem to be thought out enough. My Sim had the one relating to extreme sports (I forgot the name), problem was that she couldn’t do any of the actions for it while pregnant. It was really annoying because she was tense and miserable the entire pregnancy, but she’s a family Sim with a family aspiration, so it just didn’t fit her character at all.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Think they are bugged - both of my sims basically do everything together, yet only one of them seems to be getting lifestyles. They did both get close knit, but only one also got energetic, outdoorsy, frequent traveler, adrenaline seeker.
    The moodlets are harsh too - because one has all those - if she is in the house for 5 minutes - she stacks up tons of bored moodlets. She makes flower arrangements outside, yet the game seems to think this is an indoor activity because she gets the indoor bored moodlet. I also think the close knit is odd because they get very tense if the even accidently get more than a couple friends - I had to invite people over just to be mean and destroy relationship to get rid of the harsh tense moodlets - not my idea of close knit. So far, not a big fan of lifestyles.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    Think they are bugged - both of my sims basically do everything together, yet only one of them seems to be getting lifestyles. They did both get close knit, but only one also got energetic, outdoorsy, frequent traveler, adrenaline seeker.
    The moodlets are harsh too - because one has all those - if she is in the house for 5 minutes - she stacks up tons of bored moodlets. She makes flower arrangements outside, yet the game seems to think this is an indoor activity because she gets the indoor bored moodlet. I also think the close knit is odd because they get very tense if the even accidently get more than a couple friends - I had to invite people over just to be mean and destroy relationship to get rid of the harsh tense moodlets - not my idea of close knit. So far, not a big fan of lifestyles.

You can use the potion in the rewards store to get rid of the ones that you don't want.
  • Options
    alan650111 Yes, thank you, I am aware of that. There is also lifestyle coaching which I did use on one sim to get rid of that workaholic lifestyle - that one is awful - they constantly just run back to work no matter their needs or anything. Just trying them out to see what they do for now - definitely going to get rid of some of them at least eventually.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    My experience with lifestyles is not such an appealing one at the moment. Especially with the traveler one. One of my female sims, Kalin had the traveler lifestyle. That was until I had disabled them through gameplay in option. I disabled lifestyles for a reason. And that reason was because Kalin was becoming bored much to often, like every hour or two often. Because she wasn't getting too travel to other worlds as often. And she can't spend every waking minute traveling because I want her too max out the rock climbing skill. Plus she works as a lifeguard on the weekends. And other things as well, like tending to the plants that she has in her little garden and other stuff like paying attention to her cat Romeo. She can't do a lot of this stuff plus visit worlds at the same time.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’ve turned them off. I’m not seeing any positive benefits to having them and they seem to just make my sims unhappy.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    People Person lifestyle is too common considering sims in Sims 4 are rather intrusive when your sims just wanted to talk to his friend and then somebody else joining the conversation and thus adding them as an acquintance to my sims contributing to the points gained for the aforementioned lifestyle.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't think that Lifestyles is bugged. You can have more than 3 lifestyles in progress, but active is limited to 3. My Sim's Close Knit lifestyle just became active, and there are only 3 spaces.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I just downloaded this weekend, but so far I find it a bit disappointing. Hopefully, it will improve, but so far I only noticed a few small changes. I admit it was nice when the right sim called about a date as opposed to the way the wrong Sims used to always call.

I like the new pack, and so far my game is running fairly smooth, but I have noticed my Sims are no longer changing into seasonal clothes on their own, sometimes they do and sometimes not.

Also, I noticed that in the island living world less Sims were in the water, or sun bathing, instead they were mostly hanging about the shore.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I don't think that Lifestyles is bugged. You can have more than 3 lifestyles in progress, but active is limited to 3. My Sim's Close Knit lifestyle just became active, and there are only 3 spaces.

I have 6 ACTIVE. It looks like there isn't space but they just go below and cover up that lifestyle button. :D They're all affecting my sim too. For sure it's bugged. I don't mind that he has 6 to be fair, however, it isn't supposed to be like that.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    My experience with lifestyles is not such an appealing one at the moment. Especially with the traveler one. One of my female sims, Kalin had the traveler lifestyle. That was until I had disabled them through gameplay in option. I disabled lifestyles for a reason. And that reason was because Kalin was becoming bored much to often, like every hour or two often. Because she wasn't getting too travel to other worlds as often. And she can't spend every waking minute traveling because I want her too max out the rock climbing skill. Plus she works as a lifeguard on the weekends. And other things as well, like tending to the plants that she has in her little garden and other stuff like paying attention to her cat Romeo. She can't do a lot of this stuff plus visit worlds at the same time.

You can also drink a potion in rewards store to remove the traveler trait if you wanted to keep them on but lose that one and develope others instead of the one making your sim bored. Or you can just turn off the whole feature like you did, it works too, but just in case you still wanted it and didn't know, there is a potion that fixes your issue. :)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Lifestyles are definitely bugged in the sense that the game will assign a sim more than 3 lifestyles. And removing them only removes them from the sim info panel, it's still listed as active under the lifestyles button.
    Personally, I know I'll turn them off in any further saves. They have too much impact on a sim's mood if you ask me (I'm the micomanaging control freak type of watcher).
    While I appreciate the idea, it's too dominant in gameplay. Besides, it most of the time doesn't make sense.
    I think it would have been more enjoyable if they had been interests, activities that sims naturally gravitate towards. Not something they crave so badly it ruins their whole day.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2020
    I find them to be a mixed bag, right now one of my sims who is supposed to be active is close to getting the low-energy lifestyle because I wanted him to focus on his job and level up his logic skill. I'm not a huge fan that I have to pick another job or get him to not focus on his job just because he is supposed to follow a specific lifestyle.

Luckily, they warn you with messages early so you can prevent them from getting a lifestyle that you don't want. You can apparently remove them by using the computer as well, but I have heard that removing them could be bugged.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Lifestyles are definitely bugged in the sense that the game will assign a sim more than 3 lifestyles. And removing them only removes them from the sim info panel, it's still listed as active under the lifestyles button.
    Personally, I know I'll turn them off in any further saves. They have too much impact on a sim's mood if you ask me (I'm the micomanaging control freak type of watcher).
    While I appreciate the idea, it's too dominant in gameplay. Besides, it most of the time doesn't make sense.
    I think it would have been more enjoyable if they had been interests, activities that sims naturally gravitate towards. Not something they crave so badly it ruins their whole day.
    This is really the issue, the moodlets are too strong. My Sim can love the outdoors and skiiing, but not to the point she dislikes everything else. The way it’s currently implemented is causing obsessions not lifestyles.
  • Options
    @Kita5399 Exactly! The moodlets are very strong and they all start to center around appeasing a lifestyle - they end up very one-dimensional.

And they are indeed bugged because one of my sims has 5 lifestyles and they are all active - not just in progress.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Wow, your sim has 5 lifestyles. I can only get 3 lifestyles. I even tried the cheats but that didn't help me get more.
  • Options
    @SERVERFRA Yes - she has close knit, energetic, outdoorsy, frequent traveler, and adrenaline seeker.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Cool! B)
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Here

BPk2UTn.png
    The 4 clearly in shot are showing as active. The two cut off below are also ACTIVE, for a total of 6 active lifestyles.

In his actual panel it only shows 2 of the 6 as active, but he gets the moodlets and interactions of all the 6 showing as active.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2020
    They make my sims miserable. I’m not exactly one to want them perfectly happy and cheerful all the time or anything but honestly the negative moodlets from lifestyles are just bad. They’re almost constant and dominate all the other emotions.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    My Sim just got the outdoorsy lifestyle. It's fine except she literally develops bored moodlets within just a few hours of being inside. So if she comes home, takes a bath, showers, and makes dinner - by the time dinner is finished she is bored. I think I just have to get used to letting her be bored sometimes rather than trying to keep things ideal all of the time.
  • Options
    SoundeffectSoundeffect Posts: 12 New Member
    I've turned them off as well. My Sims always get workaholic one which basically means they are tense all the time when they aren't that work and it's so hard to override that with a different emotion. So they can't work on their skills because they are too tense. I got the carefree trait but it doesn't seem to work with the lifestyles? So as much as I enjoy the idea of it, it's not as fun in reality.