Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifestyles: how's your experience?

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited December 2020
    The same lifestyles pop up regardless of the sim and what I do with them. None of my off the grid sims have got Technophobe. They all got either people person, close knit or single and loving it. Sims with a job get workaholic simply by going to work when they are supposed to. I have the ludicrous situation of sims simultaneously having a debuff that they need a break from work, whilst also having the debuff that they are upset because they aren't at work.

My gardener who has a huge garden he tends to every day got .. Indoorsy lifestyle. What? So because he does his flower arranging in the shed he's an indoor person?

The weighting for some of the lifestyles is clearly very off, leading to all sims getting the same small handful, which does nothing to aid them into seeming like individuals.
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    None of my off the grid sims have got Technophobe.
    That's sth I've noticed as well. I have a sim who's been off the grid for a long time and she still doesn't get it, she doesn't play on her phone either.

• VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I need a mod that raises the friendship cap for close-knit sims. I had to make one of my sims be mean and tank a friendship cause she was tense all day from having too many friends.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    As a rotational player, even though I’ve played every day since Snowy Escape came out, none of my Sims have gotten a Lifestyle yet.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Lifestyles seemed like a good idea, but their implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Close Knit should not cap at three friends. It should include family members, like sisters, brothers, husbands, wives, children and parents. If they had made it include those Sims and then set outside friendships to 3 or 4 that would have been fine, but the way it is set up, your Sim can't be close to more than 3 family members or friends? Also how the Sims lose the lifestyles is buggy as all get out. My couple both have the hungry for love lifestyle. This couple does romantic interactions all the time. They both watch the romance channel on the TV also, her lifestyle is showing active and fine, his is constantly in danger of being lost. Same with the outdoorsy lifestyle, they both have it, they both spend equal time outside, one is in danger of losing it while the other is just fine. Then, I have not been able to get rid of lifestyles I don't want, the potion from the rewards store doesn't work, the lifestyle coaching doesn't work, and the cheat to remove it doesn't work. I also have more than 3 on each Sim. Yeah, way to buggy and very poorly implemented. I finally just turned them off.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    In my opinion after playing them for a while, they're a waste of time. They don't expand on sims personalities in the slightest you just get an annoying moodlet every now and then and constant pop ups telling you to work towards keeping the lifestyle or you'll lose it.

Just seems that there's a lack of understanding on what people want, the traits system recycled with slightly stronger moodlets is not in depth personalities. They don't affect anything, townies act exactly the same as each other the same as they always have. The issue with traits as a whole in this game is that all they do is give your sim occasional moodlets, they don't affect how they act or interact with the world in the slightest and lifestyles are the same.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Frankly, I think they missed the mark with the lifestyles. I am a rotational player but I play 4 weeks with each family so I do get to experience the system. Thing is I am sure the lifestyles will be gone when I rotate back to the family.

I am really tired of every system they add has an effect on the emotion system. WHY?? Lifestyles should have been set up like interest in Sims 2. Lifestyles could be something to talk to other sims about. Sims might autonomously do things according to their lifestyle more often.
    If and when we get an attractive system, if sims have similar interest they could be more attracted to each other.

Personally, I don't think negative emotions should be involved in the system because lifestyles can change if a sims interest change. Sentiments is where the negative emotions should stay and I really wish there was more animations involved with the negative emotions. Stomping and moping around the house is pretty boring. There needs to be more arguing between sims.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @keekee53 I think you will find that the Lifestyles stay with your sims even when playing rotationally. Based on my experience, the sentiments decay, but the lifestyles do not.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I turned them off today and got the UI Cheats mod to get rid of moodlets I could not get rid of any other way.
    This is like NAPs for me. I removed Eco Lifestyle from my game, but there is no way I am removing Snowy Escape.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited December 2020
    I haven't seen any huge changes yet. I'm still playing around with relationships and interactions though. Family interaction first to increase relationships.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Sadly it is like a lot of the good ideas that get implemented poorly. Disappointing, but at least they tried. Better luck next time I guess.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Lifestyles could use some... tuning, I agree. I haven't found them to be more of a problem than a help to my gameplay in the long run, but certain ones are too easy to get (people person) others don't seem consistent in how you get them (I have two sims with day jobs. One has Workaholic, the other doesn't) and many require really weird or mildly disturbing levels of maintenance. I had a "techie" sim who is in the Professional Gamer career and working on programming lose it because he was also spending time actually taking care of his kids rather than playing on his phone all the time.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    @keekee53 I think you will find that the Lifestyles stay with your sims even when playing rotationally. Based on my experience, the sentiments decay, but the lifestyles do not.

good to know...ty :)
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Servos with the techie lifestyle get a special buff from it :) It's called "I am the future'. I enjoy little cross pack touches like this. I wish there was some occult based ones.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    They're a nice touch to the game. I don't expect them to do a lot cause Lifestyles are just a small part of the pack, and not the main theme. I haven't had any major problems with them. My Sims often get the Outdoorsy and Energetic lifestyles from swimming in the ocean. When they go diving or exploring the cave they get a happy "on an adventure" moodlet. I like how they intergrate with other packs like that. I like that the Sim's actions affect what lifestyle they will have. A Sim who was a energetic thrill seeker might get married and get so busy with raising a family they aren't doing so much of those activities anymore will no longer have that lifestyle, just like in real life. It's a neat addition.

There are some downsides though. My Sims household has 5 Sims (the parents and 3 teenage children). They all get along great and because of this, are progressing towards the People Person lifestyle (3 of them now have it) even though they don't have friends outside of the family. I would rather family don't count towards this lifestyle.

A minor bug with it is one of my Sims have 5 lifestyles when it's supposed to cap at 3. It's not a big deal for me though, except the 5th lifestyle covers the lifestyles button and I can only see the top of those last 2 images. She's got Outdoorsy, Energetic (from snowboarding, and swimming in the ocean), People Person (from being close to her parents and 2 siblings), Adrenaline seeker (from snowbaording), and Frequent Traveller (cause I keep taking her to Mt Komorebi to snowboard). She's also got Single and Loving It and Health Food Fiend in progress. I wonder if she will reach 7 active lifestyles? Out of the 5 she has I would remove People Person, but I'm unsure of which one of the other 4 I would remove. I kind of like that she's got so many.

Before getting this I was worried that all my Sims will end up with the Health Food Fiend lifestyle cause I'm too scared to have my Sims cook in case of a fire, so they all just live off garden salads, but I've played 2 in game weeks and the lifestyle has only now reached in progress.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    It doesn't seem to effect gameplay much. I've only noticed a couple of moodlets. I have a sim that has 3: Energetic, Workaholic, and People Person. He's a vampire so I've been playing him a while lol. I've only noticed that he got tense when I kept him from work for a couple days. His father (also a vampire) has the People Person one too and I noticed him being sad or tense or something about his fading relationship with his other son. That's really been it. I think the Dad might also have Indoorsy but I can't even remember.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Well, I had some trouble finding the option to disable them before I started playing, but apart from that, they’re pretty good.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • MothmanMerlinMothmanMerlin Posts: 39 Member
    a male YA sim of ours has the Techie lifestyle (he's an engineer, programmer and geek so, no wonder) and we've not gotten any moodlets for it yet despite getting it more than an in-game week ago, but received more Simoleons from his engineering job, I think, or work performance? some kind of boost. anyway, it's not nearly as drastic as something like the phone obsessed fame trait, but it sorta "runs in the background" I think. no specific moodlets, but may increase learning tech skills or something?
    suspected osdd-1b system|he/him|heavily modded game, see something you like, just ask:>|novice programmer and experienced artist|
    "it's like one of my Japanese animes!"
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I got snowy escape, but haven't played it yet. I was originally super excited about lifestyles but I think I'm gonna turn them off. I want them to at least fix the more than 3 lifestyles bug and I also heard there's problem removing lifestyles. I'm also really disappointed about how some of them work and sims getting same ones, but I'll try them despite it once there's a bug fix.
  • Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I don't think it adds to much more to the gameplay but it is a nice feature, and seems sims realise more when they're with their best friends, enemies etc.
    Lee12321 wrote: »
    I don't think it adds to much more to the gameplay but it is a nice feature, and seems sims realise more when they're with their best friends, enemies etc.

i think you're thinking of Sentiments:) "Lifestyles are a game mechanic introduced in The Sims 4: Snowy Escape. It consists of a series of traits that can be acquired by Sims by performing or not performing certain activities. These traits in turn influence Sims' behavior and emotions as they interact with their environment." - https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lifestyle
    suspected osdd-1b system|he/him|heavily modded game, see something you like, just ask:>|novice programmer and experienced artist|
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

i think you're thinking of Sentiments:) "Lifestyles are a game mechanic introduced in The Sims 4: Snowy Escape. It consists of a series of traits that can be acquired by Sims by performing or not performing certain activities. These traits in turn influence Sims' behavior and emotions as they interact with their environment." - https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lifestyle
    Lifestyles were still implemented poorly though. My adventurous sim should not still be bored with a skill after having disabled Lifestyles, but they are.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Lifestyles were still implemented poorly though. My adventurous sim should not still be bored with a skill after having disabled Lifestyles, but they are.

sounds like a bug that EA needs to address- it's not uncommon for new bugs to be found after release you know. I could give you some tips on trying to fix it, in the meantime, if you'd like..?
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I think that's a "feature" of the Adventurous Trait, not Lifestyles. My adventurous sim gets it for any skill she's maxed or nearly maxed.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I think that's a "feature" of the Adventurous Trait, not Lifestyles. My adventurous sim gets it for any skill she's maxed or nearly maxed.
    I believe that this is where the confusion sets in. There is an adventurous trait, that's true. But there's also a lifestyle attached to that, and it's for thrill seeking sims. Sims who are not afraid to live life on the edge. These sims enjoy activities such as rock climbing, snow skiing and boarding. Any activity that they know that they can get hurt by doing. And this is where my adventurous sim is getting bored. Because they had this thrill seeking lifestyle when I still had lifestyles active. Either way it is like MothmanMerlin, a bug. Another reason why I say this because my sims over the years have maxed every skill that has come along in the game. And none of them has ever gotten bored with a skill until now. Feature? I don't believe so. Like MothmanMerlin, I too think that it's a bug. And MothmanMerlin is correct, it's not uncommon for new bugs to suddenly appear right out of the blue like that.