Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Job Posting at Maxis - Senior Game Designer (07/30/2020)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2020
    ohmyohmy wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don't see the issue. The beef of the sentence implies a necessary familiarity with past games to support game decisions about what comes in the future of the game, and doing that well. Nothing here reads as unusual to me.

I think OP shared this because of the "defense" portion of the job requirement. It's obviously a requirement of any job to stand with the company you work for (assuming they're operating morally and all of that). But here, it's laid out black and white.
    Become an expert on the game and our community, drawing from our large, varied player base and our past games to make and defend intelligent design choices going forward.

That does seem to be atypical to what we've seen as far as The Sims/Maxis job listings, and raises speculation over why that portion would be necessary to include. Is there growing criticism (which is hard to believe, as The Sims 4 has been the most acquainted with it out of all of the other Sims games). Does this criticism additionally now extend internally?

I don't understand why people are reading so hard into this. All the Sim games had criticism.

They did, even The Sims 2! Still absolutely nothing like The Sims 4 and its controversial packs though.
    It's a job listing.. they're listing out the qualities they want for the position. y'all are upset about this latest gamepack so you want to read into it and kick up a storm. ,-,

That's complete conjecture, lol. As far as I'm concerned, Maxis made their own bed with this gamepack. And I'm not upset with Maxis in the slightest; I've come to expect mediocrity with The Sims 4 since 2014. I am having a huge amount of fun with The Sims 3 lately though, so that's cool. :)

umm no I see no difference between the criticism. and no it's not conjecture at all.. I can see this for what it is lol even if it's not about the gamepack. it's obvious folks wanna read into this because they're upset about whatever. which is fine but you might as well say that instead of pretending that a random sentence in a job listing is totally about something else.

doing all this compare and contrast for nothing, lol.

There is a stark difference between the criticism. The moment this title released, it's been controversial whether we're talking about the omissions of things like pools, ghosts, toddlers, etc. or the scrapping of open world/CASt. All I remember launch week, even as positive as I was about the game back then, was how gaming outlets covered nothing but the negatives. Because, truthfully, they were very impactful on the game itself.

I don't think anybody here is upset. It's all just speculation, nothing to really attack others over. Try playing more Sims 3, maybe you'll feel happier. I know being in live mode in The Sims 4 makes me feel dull if I stick around long enough, lol. :lol:
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Seems like a pretty standard description of job responsibilities.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't see the issue. The beef of the sentence implies a necessary familiarity with past games to support game decisions about what comes in the future of the game, and doing that well. Nothing here reads as unusual to me.

I think OP shared this because of the "defense" portion of the job requirement. It's obviously a requirement of any job to stand with the company you work for (assuming they're operating morally and all of that). But here, it's laid out black and white.
    Become an expert on the game and our community, drawing from our large, varied player base and our past games to make and defend intelligent design choices going forward.

That does seem to be atypical to what we've seen as far as The Sims/Maxis job listings, and raises speculation over why that portion would be necessary to include. Is there growing criticism (which is hard to believe, as The Sims 4 has been the most acquainted with it out of all of the other Sims games). Does this criticism additionally now extend internally?

I don't understand why people are reading so hard into this. All the Sim games had criticism.

They did, even The Sims 2! Still absolutely nothing like The Sims 4 and its controversial packs though.
    It's a job listing.. they're listing out the qualities they want for the position. y'all are upset about this latest gamepack so you want to read into it and kick up a storm. ,-,

That's complete conjecture, lol. As far as I'm concerned, Maxis made their own bed with this gamepack. And I'm not upset with Maxis in the slightest; I've come to expect mediocrity with The Sims 4 since 2014. I am having a huge amount of fun with The Sims 3 lately though, so that's cool. :)

umm no I see no difference between the criticism. and no it's not conjecture at all.. I can see this for what it is lol even if it's not about the gamepack. it's obvious folks wanna read into this because they're upset about whatever. which is fine but you might as well say that instead of pretending that a random sentence in a job listing is totally about something else.

doing all this compare and contrast for nothing, lol.

There is a stark difference between the criticism. The moment this title released, it's been controversial whether we're talking about the omissions of things like pools, ghosts, toddlers, etc. or the scrapping of open world/CASt. All I remember launch week, even as positive as I was about the game back then, was how gaming outlets covered nothing but the negatives. Because, truthfully, they were very impactful on the game itself.

I don't think anybody here is upset. It's all just speculation, nothing to really attack others over. Try playing more Sims 3, maybe you'll feel happier. I know being in live mode in The Sims 4 makes me feel dull if I stick around long enough, lol. :lol:

I don't need to play anything and ain't nobody being attacked. I'm just calling it for what it is which is y'all reading into a job posting because y'all mad about the sims. same old same old and if you feel attacked then that's on you.

as for the game launch criticism.. umm who cares that was six years ago and it's not evidence of anything except it having a bad launch. There is no stark difference like at all, people critique and fight about the content just like they did with previous sim games. like I'm trying to see how the Sims 4 is just this super duper controversial title but I'm just not seeing it like at all. All I see is y'all reading into job postings and getting worked up over gamepacks being "lackluster" or lacking whatever feature you think is needed to make the game perfect like with previous sim games.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2020
    Well I'm looking forward to seeing what this new Senior Game Designer brings to the franchise, new blood can be good, especially if they are already familiar with the Sims franchise.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Well I'm looking forward to seeing what this new Senior Game Designer brings to the franchise, new blood can be good, especially if they are already familiar with the Sims franchise.

I wonder what happened to the previous Senior Game Designer? Maybe he got moved over to the TS5 team? I hope not.... 😖

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    I didn’t realize the player base was quite that young. I would have figured it to be closer to the mid 30’s.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020

That's funny. Since when was The Sims 4 going forward :D they removed toddlers and pools because they 'want to focus on more in depth personalities on sims' and that wasn't even there either. There's nothing intelligent about it LOL :D