Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Vs Graphics

Comments

• Options
    LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    Gameplay
    I am used to playing older games that I have fond memories of where the graphics have dated a lot since the game first came out (Syphon Filter, Zoo Tycoon, Age of Empires, Star Wars: Empire at War, Sims 2). Gameplay for me will always be something that I need to enjoy more than anything otherwise I won't play a game. If it has better graphics that is a bonus for me, like I don't mind things being chunkier if I thoroughly enjoy it. :smile:
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It has to be both. Like, what am i gonna do with a game that looks fantastic but is unplayable because there is nothing worth playing. On the other hand, if the graphics are not something i like in the slightest then i probably would skip the game anyway, but if they are bearable i might try and tolerate if the gameplay is amazing. I am not hard to please when it comes to graphics though. There are old games with outdated graphics that look fine to me and i can play them just fine.
  • Options
    EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    Graphics
    I feel it goes hand-in-hand really. All the previous Sims made large improvements in the Sims themselves and the general look of things. Graphics really help create that immersion though so if I had to pick I'd lean in that, but gameplay is still important too. Some people didnt care for the story-driven Strangerville Pack, but I thought it was a lot of fun, especially going through the process of discovering things. Side Quest things like that help with the long-term fun of the game for me. I'm sure whatever we get in the future will only build further on both :)
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay is ultimately more important to me, but I don't think that makes graphics unimportant. They both impact my preference to play. If I'm staring at a game I want it to at least look well done, even if it isn't my artistic preference.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    Graphics
    How it looks matters more to me than what it does. Guess I'm just shallow. :wink:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    Gameplay
    I’m done with boring gameplay because I didn’t play for just graphics I paid for a game to get Gameplay.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Graphics
    Both are important. That being said I wouldn't like the next installment to the Sims to be look worse than the Sims 4. That would be a big letdown for me no matter the gameplay it comes with. The game is supposed to look better as time passes not worst.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Gameplay
    I probably wouldn't play a game with 1990s graphics (unless it's an intentional replay of a 1990s game), so there is some necessary minimum for graphics for me, but gameplay is the more important part.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Graphics
    Graphics and game performance. My play style hasn't changed since Sims2 and I tend to write my own story and appreciate the game providing backdrops and animations for those stories.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I had to stop playing the Sims 3 cause even on today's computers it still lags and with only a few expansions installed at that. I actually think game performance is one of the most important things when it comes to playing a game. It it performs like poo then no amount of graphics or game play can save the game for me.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay. That's why, besides the sims franchise, i mostly play text adventures 😊
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    Gameplay
    Ideally both, but gameplay is most important, im seeing alot of people saying this game is boring, please dont take this the wrong way although the sims 4 is still needing more but to say its boring at this point, maybe its how you are playing the game that's making it boring for you, try playing it a different way too how you are playing it, at the end of the day this game is a sandbox game, its how you really make it, if you are making it boring it will be, I play with all the packs and no cc & mods and it's not boring for me because I make it no be, so for example if your a family player have a little break and play a single sim that doesn't want a family, if your sims are normally good make them evil and do evil things 😂, if your sims normally rich, make them poor vice versa, the list goes on, if your someone that plays with lots of cheats, try play without them
  • Options
    muzemuze Posts: 108 Member
    Graphics
    Since this is a life simulator graphics are very important to me. When I was a kid I used to play TS1 and TS2. Almost 10 years later I started playing TS4. Now that I'm very used to TS4 graphics, it's almost impossible for me to play the previous versions. Of course gameplay is also important but even though it's not the best TS4 gameplay is not that bad (with mods).
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Gameplay
    I voted for the gameplay.
    Sims have always had pretty good graphics, even if the older games are a bit dated looking like Sims 2, but they were amazing graphics at the time.
    Sims 4 looks super nice with their graphics, but it doesn't have the same gameplay as the older games. Sims 4 you can usually micromanage your Sims, and random events don't really happen.
    Don't get me wrong, I do love Sims 4, because I spend a lot of time making Sims, it's just that I can't use mods on my platform, so the game seems fairly lacking on random events that the previous games had.
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay for me. I like nice graphics, but the gameplay is more important. Honestly, I would pay a pretty penny for a re-issue of Sims 2 with updated graphics.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Graphics
    No matter how awesome the game is, I just can't handle the bad graphics. I don't know why, I've just never been able to get behind them.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,778 Member
    Graphics

There needs to be a good balance. Yet, if the graphics are not up to par, I have no desire to play no matter how good the gameplay is.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Gameplay
    Wow this thread came back out of nowhere.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I can't choose because I want both. Gameplay but bad graphics? Nowadays I'm used to really good lookin' games. I love art, I love good art, I love good graphics. But good graphics with bad gameplay? That's a recipe for disaster, a.k.a. TS4 and most of the worlds. It's all just pretty to look at but you can't interact with. Log in, stare at the screen, look at your sims, and then exit.

There needs to be a good balance, it isn't either or.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Graphics
    As a builder, primarily speaking, graphics is most important. As a player, when I’m bored, the look of a game, depending on the game, can affect my interest in playing.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Graphics
    I've struggled to play the Sims games properly on PC (laptop) over the years because of budget so it was always gameplay over graphics.

I was in the market to upgrade to a new machine this year and boy am I glad I did! I can play freely now without worrying about overheating issues, random shutdowns during game play and poor graphics.
  • Options
    GrimReaper1744GrimReaper1744 Posts: 32 Member
    Gameplay
    gameplay is more important.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2021
    Gameplay
    Graphics are like a condiment. They have the potential to make everything better. However, I wouldn't expect to walk into a restaurant and be served ketchup, mustard, or Sriracha on a plate. If I'm paying for a meal, there has to be something more. Games are no different.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Gameplay
    I got a new computer fairly recently, then added another expansion pack and started to get the same lag on ultra that I used to get on medium.

If the lag gets worse I'd absolutely be ok with going down a notch rather than upgrading my computer. The new graphics did not add enough to be worth more lag. Fortunately, I am still having the level of lag I was willing to put up with on medium (I upgraded due to internet stability issues, not the game).
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Not gonna vote cause both are important to me. Can end up sleepin' on decent to really good games because the graphics were unappealing and didn't have a particular style that pulled me in and I play various games on console and PC. Good graphics as in doesn't have to be like high definition and the like, but it has it's own sense of style and theme. Though graphics are always gonna be pretty subjective from person to person.

Gameplay is always important to me because my attention isn't going to hold if gameplay is boring. So, it just goes hand in hand to if I'm going to be entertained in the least. :)
    5vJrxmT.png