Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• Options
    Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member

Hi Simmers -

We want you to know we’ve been seeing all your feedback and we hear you. As we always have been, we’re committed to growing The Sims as a game and as a community, so instead of trying to respond to a variety of tweets we wanted to consolidate some thoughts and updates in one place:

We are working on adding significantly more skin tones before the end of the year, and will share news on our progress soon. Beyond that, we’re committed to continuing to expand representation in The Sims 4. This is not one step, but a journey.

On upcoming content - when we consider something for addition to the game we consider what it will take to update it meaningfully. This is just as true for babies as it would be for cars, bunk beds or any other number of feature requests. Sometimes there is foundational technology we need to work through and sometimes we need to dig into designs more deeply to make sure we understand your expectations. This work takes time, and we don’t update you on these projects until they become more real. Game development in general can feel like a long process and, like most of the world, we are adjusting to a continued state of working from home.

In just a matter of weeks we’ll be sharing more about our next Expansion Pack, which we’ve been working on since last year. I want to set expectations now, though, that cars, babies, farms and bunk beds are not part of this EP. We understand how important these features are to you but we want to be honest that they are not part of this upcoming pack.

As a team, we are going to make more of an effort to communicate what’s coming with more regularity and transparency so that you continue to feel in the loop about new features, experiences, packs, and general information.

That’s it for now, and you’ll be hearing more from us soon. In the meantime, all we ask of you is to be kind, engage in constructive conversations with each other, and continue to celebrate what makes the Sims special to YOU. And I can assure you that we will continue to listen, continue to invest in The Sims 4 and continue to engage with you. We could not do what we do without our players.

SimGuru Lyndsay & the Sims Team

Wow ! I’d just like to say that it’s super cool that they addressed the features and gameplay that Simmers have been clamoring for , for months , even years now ! That’s great!

It seems that they actually are feeling the kick in the butt to do right by the players who have followed this game for 20 years ☺️!

I wonder what could be in the EP, then...what is it going to be , if not farming? We of course knew babies wouldn’t be an EP 👶🏽😂

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    You know what she "didn't" say was not coming?

Generations!

Would that be an expansion pack?
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    It's nice to see some communication from the Sims Team. Not good news at all, but it's better than being in the dark. This year has been a whole bunch of meh, as it relates to the packs that have been released. & since it's now confirmed what's not going to be in the next EP....I can't really say I'm excited for the next pack. This will probably sound super negative...but I've been a Sims player since The Sims 1 and I don't ever recall feeling underwhelmed by the lack of content or losing interest in the franchise. I think of how long it took to the get the fireman NPC...5 years or so? It's been 6 years....and if it's taking years to get certain features, I really don't have much hope. It sounds like their game engine or technology is just not equipped to handle the kind of content that Simmers want to see.
  • Options
    Komura wrote: »
    I can’t help but wonder what the next expansion pack is. I’m trying to think of everything that’s trendy right now since they seem to follow trends with their packs this year, but I’m drawing a complete blank on anything that I would find fun, or that would appeal to the Sims teams version of fun. I am glad that they prepared people for this next pack that it won’t be something that includes what majority is asking for though, it will probably soften the blow of whatever this pack is.

I'm also drawing a blank.

And that SP placeholder is still on Origin so wonder where that fits in.

It could still be the winter theme that seems to be hinted at.

for a whole EP? No thanks...GP sure.

Thats your opinion, id like an EP on it :)
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    You know what she "didn't" say was not coming?

Generations!

Would that be an expansion pack?

Yes, but I don't think that's coming. Most of the smaller things like bunk beds, even babies, would probably be dealt with in generations. I honestly don't think that is coming next.

If it is something that's been asked for but is not on the list she provided the only things I can think of is bands, and hotels/resorts?
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    If they actually are more transparent than at least half of my complaints dealing with this game will be solved. Time will tell.

The foundation thing... eh. Like if you can't do cars, or something just tell us. "Cars are impossible we're sorry." I'd rather them say it so I know. Like pulling off the band aid fast.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Im encouraged by this message, honestly :) The fact that she mentioned those things makes me feel certain they are coming. Not only did she mention them, she said they take time, so that means something IS being done. Nice!

Im not actually excited for bunk beds. Its just another bed. But the babies thing...Woo! <3

What on earth could the EP possibly be? I dont believe its generations at all! Because if it were it wouldnt seem right not to add bunkbeds. That makes me fear thats its not a family based EP. Its another random pack for fun , young singles or something. What could it be?! Seriously.
  • Options
    Knowing that theyve been working steadily on this pack since last year is encouraging, a little, surely it shouldnt be skimpy on content then? :|
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020

I also wonder if EA had a stock hit from this? Just curious if that had any influence. After all they have share holders to appease.

I think it temporarily did, at least for a few days! Also the poor reception of Madden 21 may have contributed as well. It didn't tank too much though! It will most likely recover in a while. If you time this right, you can buy the stock at its lowest point for this period of time if you want to invest in the company. And because it's value is a bit volatile right now, if you're a day trader, you can sell it when it rises for some quick profit!

NASDAQ:EA

(Look at the graph for its stock value over varying periods of time.)

• Options
    Knowing that theyve been working steadily on this pack since last year is encouraging, a little, surely it shouldnt be skimpy on content then? :|

Uh have you seen sims packs lately? They've all been worked on for over a year. :D:D

Sorry that isn't meant to be an insult to you. I just thought it was funny. I hope it's an interesting pack and with her saying it's not this, this, this, at least my expectations are some what set.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020

That and the warning that it doesn’t have certain things makes me wonder if it’s another experimental niche pack :|
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Thanks for posting the article.
    I’m happy they are addressing this with us & letting us know what to not expect. It’s not like I had much expectations at this point anymore since this pack just ruined my entire expectations of the sims. Although, I won’t believe a word they say until the time comes. They’ve had a history of not keeping their words (or promises). Actions speak louder then words and at this point for me personally, it will be a while till I’m able to fully trust them again.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Well, that’s kind of disappointing, I was hoping so much for a farm pack. Maybe they will have romance and something for weddings. And honey moon spots.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    As a team, we are going to make more of an effort to communicate what’s coming with more regularity and transparency so that you continue to feel in the loop about new features, experiences, packs, and general information.

I hope this is true, sorry for being doubtful but...you know...experience...but I feel this is exactly what is missing so much, silence is the worst thing one can do and I for one feel alot of the frustration of many simmers comes from the feeling of not being heard/communicated with, so this in my eyes is a very important step.

Also, glad to hear the EP wont be about cars or babies >:)

I am too, could you imagine the uproar if the babies update was locked behind a paywall? Good grief I could see it now...
    Yeah it would be bad. Cars would be bad too since SimGuruGrant initially said cars were going to come with the base game.

Anyways thanks for the update. I do hope a superhero pack is made to represent disabilities. It would bring in more customers too having a superhero pack since Marvel and DC has been popular for many decades through the movies and comics.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mogshazmogshaz Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2020
    So_Money wrote: »
    On the positive side, it seems like the negative feedback might be getting their attention. Just the fact that they felt the need to release this message at this time, not the content of the message.

As to the content of the message, I’m not sure what segment of the player base will be mollified by these words because to me it’s it’s just a whole lot of meh. I’m not mad at it, but it’s the same thing we’ve heard for a long time now. “Hang in there simmers. We hear you but it’s really, really hard and stuff.”

EA only seems to care about Sales and the potential to lose sales. It makes sense that negativity about an upcoming product would push them to respond. Not that I think their response amounts to much.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm salty but at least there is one positive. What ever the next pack is it surely can't be worse than the Star Wars pack. :D

Oh my sweet summer child. Things can always get worse.
    Yep.
    71FBTwLqGHL._SY445_.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I do appreciate the letter, but also think it needs to become a more regular thing (at least once every couple of weeks would be nice)

I believe the Sims team for Sims 3 used to have a blog they updated pretty regularly, is there a reason the Sims 4 team doesn’t do something similar? I get they all have twitters but, well, it’s Twitter.
    That is a great idea. I like letters.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I'm salty but at least there is one positive. What ever the next pack is it surely can't be worse than the Star Wars pack. :D

Yep.
    71FBTwLqGHL._SY445_.jpg

Has more usability than Star Wars at least :#
    Not for me. Then again I prefer robots and aliens over junk food, but that is just me. At least more than YA females will be able to use it.
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Yep.
    71FBTwLqGHL._SY445_.jpg

My eyes! Was it that bad? :#

I had to do a google search to remember what came with the pack. I'd make a horrible witness. I was remembering some decent bakery items (nope). Yea, I uh did buy it (no judgment, this is a "safe space" after all, right?), but the why escapes me.

Thanks for the flashback! My eyes haven't registered those colors in years!
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    I'm sure Lyndsay is an amazing person and I wish all the best for her, but that doesn't change the facts.

It's like I saw somebody say, this whole SimGuru thing is just a strategy for us to empathize with them and avoid criticizing, it's harder to say to a Guru "your game sucks" when they show enthusiam for their job and act in such an educated manner.

However, I also know how EA scapegoats some of them and let them be the face of controversies (ahem, Rachel, Grant, etc...) in the hopes that they absorb some of the hate and then later when they are moved away from the team the hate settles down a bit. You deserve better Lyndsay.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2020
    So what did the surveys have on them last year? Can anybody remember?

This one was from May 2019

How likely is it that you would recommend The Sims 4 to a friend or colleague?
    What improvements could the Community Team make for you to give it a higher rating?
    What is your primary community channel of choice?
    On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is very poor and 10 is excellent) how would you rate the communication and engagement you receive from your Community Team?
    On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is very poor and 10 is excellent) how would you rate the Maxis Monthly program?
    How can we improve the Maxis Monthly program?
    What does the Community Team do really well?
    On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is not interested and 10 is very interested) how interested are you in the following?
    New Stuff Packs
    New Game Packs
    New Expansion Packs
    Bug Fixes
    Base Game Content Updates

• Options
    I honestly liked KPST okay. Granted I bought it when it was 6 bucks on sale (hard disk) but I loved to use the furniture for a little girls room. I also downloaded a ice cream store, and a bakery using it online. So for me personally KPST actually had way more use than Star Wars does. If the Star Wars pack had beds with SW sheets or you could buy souvenirs, or kids could play with light sabers, I could have been on board down the road when the pack was on sale. As it it is, for me, it just has nothing I can use. :neutral:
    heartstopper-couple.gif