Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the pre-purchase hype of a new pack make you want to play the game more?

Because it does the exact opposite for me. I was thinking about this, being we are on the eve of the 9th gamepack reveal, and I have seen people say previously that part of a new pack's hype is preparing for the new content with ready made families and builds. That makes me curious if this sort of thing makes people want to play the game.

Me, after I see that trailer tomorrow if it interests me in the slightest, I won't want to touch my game without the new stuff. I'll play nonstop once I get it for a while, updating and making all those builds and families others seem to have done beforehand. However, before all my ideas and desires are swirling around how to use the new pack.

Does the pre-purchase hype of a new pack make you want to play the game more? 47 votes

Yes, once GP9 is revealed I am going to jump right into getting ready.
19%
aelias24Isb917simgirl1010Mindofysmurf45blueBabykittyjadeSimzilla_7TTNsimmerSERVERFRA 9 votes
Yes, but it is not so much about getting ready for the pack as being excited about it.
12%
SimburiankristenleighwhiteOnverserxMarianxJediMuppetpinneduphair 6 votes
I play like normal, new stuff or no new stuff.
53%
Mariefoxprice83WyrrenAlwe1507benson2006texxx78LoriH572EnkiSchmidtScobreOldeseadoggeRedShoe7calaprfyNorthDakotaGamerLordOfTendonsTS1299logionInuMiroLoverx4m1r4SharoniaRouensimsKimmer 25 votes
No, but it does not make me want to avoid it.
2%
SweetieWright_84 1 vote
No, it is hard to play without something you want.
12%
babajaynetaydevMDianaSimsLairaizecsonCalico45 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,880 Member
    I start getting ready by trying to tie up any loose ends in my game. For example finishing up a skill or completing a career. My sim still hasn't completed the knitting skill and I also want her to start the EL civil designer career. So that should keep me busy until release. I'm not a builder so I don't start any building projects. I wait to download new pack builds from the Gallery.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m not entirely sure I chose the correct option. I might play a little more, or I might not. I haven’t really noticed either way. I definitely don’t avoid my game or do anything in particular to get ready for the incoming pack. I almost try to pretend it’s not happening, because I want everything in my game to happen organically based on my Sims’ personalities.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Same as usual. New worlds or major gameplay functions is the main reason I buy packs. A good premade is just a bonus. For example, my Sim has had an off-and-on relationship with Lana McKinnon (who, with different clothes, glasses, and hair, is one of my favorite premade Sims, and her traits mesh well with my Sim's) quite a bit lately.

I do get really excited when it's about time to reveal a new pack; but I watch promo material and the official livestream, but that's about it. I'm probably pretty odd here in that I don't watch that many gaming Youtube videos. Actually, none.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,880 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    I'm probably pretty odd here in that I don't watch that many gaming Youtube videos. Actually, none.

Not odd at all. 🙂 I think those who watch YouTubers are in the minority here.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    No, but it does not make me want to avoid it.
    I don't avoid the game after a pack announcement but I don't play as often either. I'm kind of in between. I usually plan things in my head after I know what the features of the pack, deciding which of my sims would fit the careers (if there are any), traits, ect.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I play like normal. There's a very good chance that the new content will be something I'm not interested in, so I don't allow myself to get too excited
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yea, but for me it’s more of a reminder that the game exists and since I haven’t played it in a while I should go ahead and crank it up. I do this even if the new pack is something that does not interest me.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I just like LGR's videos for the entertainment value. <3 Only video that impacted me buying a game was this one for the Sims 1, other than that, been so addicted over the years, I just picked and chose which packs I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA&amp;t=15s
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Status quo. I just play like normal.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Usually, if it's a theme I'm excited about, or if I've seen awesome new things in the trailer, it kills my motivation to play.
    I have tried to excitedly prepare for new packs in the past, but found that I don't want to put deadlines in my game, it ruins the enjoyment for me.
    If I'm not really excited for a new pack, I tend to be able to play as usual.
    I guess we'll see out this new pack.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2020
    I havent been excited about pack s being released , because i already have all the DLC and theres so much i havent done with that we already have!!!I may as well get excited just looking at all the packs i own :D

Seriously. But besides that i dont belive they are going to add the things i am truly excited about which would be improved gameplay for babies, an attraction system, enhanced personalities and A.I & a hobbies expansion , along with a deeper family expansion. Until then, ill reserve all my "excitement" . That doesnt mean i dont LIKE or have fun with the packs, but i havent been excited...yet!

Id also squeal if they added more (non-freelancer) careers, including active ones.
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I really want to know what the new Game Pack really is.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Can't say yet, without knowing what the pack is about. I have done preparations for new packs before, for example:

- When they announced Jungle Adventure, I moved Lara Croft into my world. She was one of the first sims I ever created in TS4 and had been quietly sitting in my library since then, with no real reason to come out because the main thing she does wasn't in the game. But when it became clear that she would get to do it soon, I started working on her skills so she would be ready to face the jungle by the time it came along. It was a lot of fun!

- You could say I started preparing for Realm of Magic long before it even existed. I knew magic would come eventually, and over time I created several sims that I basically played as witches from the getgo, using things like herbal remedies and voodoo dolls as substitutes for potions and active powers. So when the pack was finally announced, and we got a first look at its items and features, all I had to do was make room in those sims' homes for the new items, make up my mind about which predestined spellcaster would affiliate to which school of magic, and then wait for the pack to come out.

But I don't do this for every pack, for one thing because I don't feel the same level of hype or excitement for all of them, and also because some packs are simply impossible to prepare for. Take Island Living for example: Yes, I decided beforehand who would move to Sulani and/or become a mermaid, but since the entire gameplay aspect of that pack revolves around its new world that I didn't have access to before its release, there wasn't much I could do to prepare for it. With GP9, I have a strong feeling that a new world will be involved again, and play a major part in its gameplay features as well. So, as I said in another thread today, I'm in "wait and see" mode until tonight.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yes, but it is not so much about getting ready for the pack as being excited about it.
    I'm always excited when new stuff comes out whatever it is. Star Wars isn't my theme of choice but I much prefer it to the alternative which is farming (sorry farming fans but I couldn't think of anything more boring than a farming pack :# )

The community feels much more lively when new stuff is coming, there's excitement in the air and all that. I enjoy seeing the initial trailers and then waiting for the gameplay trailers, then the livestream and getting to see people play with it. If it's bad we can atleast have something to collectively complain about again. Nothing like a bad pack to bring people together!
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm always intrigued when new content is announced but chances are it's something I don't want in my game.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I found this difficult to answer as we don't (officially) know what GP9 is yet.

Usually if there's a pack that I plan on buying I start preparing my game in terms of the Sims and their story. For example, when Eco Lifestyle was announced I decided that one of my Sims would be the main one I explored the pack with, so my goal was building up her skills and playing her through from a child to a teenager so she was ready to try out the new content.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2020
    idk I mostly get hyped or not after trailer and if trailers no good i still check b/b and cas overviews and if i see something i really need there or in trailer i go like HYPEHYPEHYPE aand then im like okay calm down you dont need it right now and if it still bugs me to not have it in like month or 2 in i may buy it or try to not until next sale

but just talk before pack doesn't make me want it cause honestly no info yet so what am I even wanting

its all fun to speculate though and I am excited to find out what the pack is cause like i wanna know anyway and idk secrets always must be uncovered
    * spy pose*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    It's fun to wonder what's in store but I play my game as normal until we know for sure. I might think up a new storyline or character(s) if it's a pack I like the sound of, but that's about the extent of it - I don't create them in game until I have the pack (if I intend to buy it - if it does turn out to be Star Wars, it'll be a no from me 😂)
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I feel it can be both for me. When NK was about to come out i couldn't play my main family because i had plans for how i wanted to integrate its gameplay into their household and it was hard to foucs on my current plans for them since they were going to change when i bought the pack so i put everything on hold. I know it sounds wierd to do all of this for a stuff pack but it did alter the way i played that family. I dont think this happened when CL released for example but i dont think i strongly wanted to buy that one so i guess it depends on how much i want to play the new pack.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    It depends on how much interest I have in the new pack. Only 2 packs have ever made me super hyped up (Get Famous and Realm of Magic) and even then I didnt see a need to make new sims or lots. If Im going to do that, Id rather have the pack in my possession. However if the pack is interesting enough I'll choose from my existing sims who I think would have new story possibilities.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I just add the new stuff to my list of 'to do things' but i don't prepare anything.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It varies for me. If I'm super excited and it was something I needed in my game it sometimes shuts me down and I can't play because I want the new stuff....ROM did that. If it's something that I know I'll blend into my gameplay it might spur me to play more to get ready. Knitting did that because I knew who my knitters would be and they were already in game.. so I just started playing that family more.
    I guess the more excited I am the less I play though. Too many thoughts of how I want to play are in there .. I guess taking up the creative energy I use in the game?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I always start a new Save for a new pack anyway and go back to past ones when I know how to deal with what's in it.

I get excited about re-installing my houses and replanning or re-decorating them with new windows, doors etc., before even diving into gameplay!
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Only get hyped for the new novelty and that mostly never lasts long.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It was nice hearing everyone's opinions. Personally, I am not going to have any problems playing for a while. GP9 does not interest me at all. I suppose that is the positive part about missing out on a GP, plus $20 saved.