Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things for disabilities actually in the game

The modders do a great job of making custom content for things like wheelchairs, prosthetics, crutches, hearing aids and the like. However, it seems to me that those need to be in the actual game. Other games such as Elder Scrolls Online have them. (I hadn't heard of the game. A friend of mine was talking about her avatar getting to be in a wheelchair and how the pet cat was "rudely sitting" in her lap. My response to that was "easier to pet that way.")

I did a search and the only things that I could find discussing this were from 2015 or before. (And necroposting is not allowed.) It seems to me that it's time to revisit talking about this.

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I personally feel like it's too much of a touchy subject for EA to tackle it, and there are too many physical and mental disabilities to cover in just one pack, even if it's an Expansion.

I also know that if anything goes wrong, the company will receive a lot of backlash. This community is already ridiculously toxic, I seriously don't want it to get worse.

I think that disabilities are best left to modders who have real experience with people that have the disability, or people with the disability in question. Then they're 100% optional, and will most likely be done more accurately.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I personally feel like it's too much of a touchy subject for EA to tackle it, and there are too many physical and mental disabilities to cover in just one pack, even if it's an Expansion.

I also know that if anything goes wrong, the company will receive a lot of backlash. This community is already ridiculously toxic, I seriously don't want it to get worse.

I think that disabilities are best left to modders who have real experience with people that have the disability, or people with the disability in question. Then they're 100% optional, and will most likely be done more accurately.

If other games can do it, why not EA? The things you mention are always the excuses that they give for it, but those don't hold water when you see what other games *are* doing.

They don't have to do all the disabilities as an EP. They can spread them out like they've done with supernatural elements. And they can certainly consult experts who have the real world experience.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    And they can certainly consult experts who have the real world experience.
    Which should mean they could never include my disabilities, because there is too much variation and complexity involved.
    My disability is not for your entertainment. I play the game to escape it, not be reminded of it.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have to agree with @nerdfashion. I would not have a problem with disabilities being in the game, but I can see why they may not want to jump in head first. It is a touchy subject, which means no matter how well researched some may dislike and even be offended by it. I'd argue that for the disability system to be well worked in the first place, it would probably have to function better than the current personality system.

Further, @nerdfashion mentioned packs, but it could easily be considered offensive to have to pay for this content. (You should never have to pay for representation, right? Not under the narrative they have been weaving lately that this discourse was founded in.) Considering all the work in both research and animation, if they cannot monetize it or have absolutely certain good will received I doubt they will risk it.

Finally, considering their marketing, advertising, and reputation, they seem to endorse a specific type of controlled play. While they do not try to offend "dark simmers" that torture and kill sims, they do not truly endorse them. Imagine the brewing nightmare that would be Sims becoming a game that you could torture and kill disabled people. They are just Sims, though, right? But including disabilities is for representation and this can easily be associated as an attack or a misstep by allowing it. It takes very little for one sensationalistic headline to be born and ruin the perceptions of those that have never played, especially in this sensitive climate.

So, yes, if they decide to add it I look forward to see what they do, but I also understand why they may not want to touch it either.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited August 2020
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I have to agree with @nerdfashion. I would not have a problem with disabilities being in the game, but I can see why they may not want to jump in head first. It is a touchy subject, which means no matter how well researched some may dislike and even be offended by it. I'd argue that for the disability system to be well worked in the first place, it would probably have to function better than the current personality system.

Further, @nerdfashion mentioned packs, but it could easily be considered offensive to have to pay for this content. (You should never have to pay for representation, right? Not under the narrative they have been weaving lately that this discourse was founded in.) Considering all the work in both research and animation, if they cannot monetize it or have absolutely certain good will received I doubt they will risk it.

Finally, considering their marketing, advertising, and reputation, they seem to endorse a specific type of controlled play. While they do not try to offend "dark simmers" that torture and kill sims, they do not truly endorse them. Imagine the brewing nightmare that would be Sims becoming a game that you could torture and kill disabled people. They are just Sims, though, right? But including disabilities is for representation and this can easily be associated as an attack or a misstep by allowing it. It takes very little for one sensationalistic headline to be born and ruin the perceptions of those that have never played, especially in this sensitive climate.

So, yes, if they decide to add it I look forward to see what they do, but I also understand why they may not want to touch it either.

I don't really want it in game there are to many things that everyone can enjoy that needs to be put in game
    to put things in game that a lot of people wouldn't use or like and a lot of people would find ways to be offended by it
    no matter what they do or how well its done there are people offended because its not in game as we speak
    but the main reason I don't want it in game is because they would have to change the game from the ground up just to put in a few things
    thats best left for sims five I think a walking cane may be possible but even that would be hard because sims gesture a lot in this game so
    I'm not even sure they can do that sims would be swinging that stick all over the place non stop
    there is a mod for blindness now if you want one

and I don't believe a lot of people with disabilities would use them they don't want to be reminded of how hard there life
    is I've seen a lot of people say that I don't think they'd mind a cane though at least I wouldn't mind a cane like in sims 3
    I don't think they should go to far though

I don't think people would mind wheelchairs but I don't think they should put them in sims 4
    wheelchairs need to be built in game from the start as the game is right now they would have to change to much
    it will be easier to put in sims 5 where they can build the game with that in mind
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options

If other games can do it, why not EA? The things you mention are always the excuses that they give for it, but those don't hold water when you see what other games *are* doing.

They don't have to do all the disabilities as an EP. They can spread them out like they've done with supernatural elements. And they can certainly consult experts who have the real world experience.

I don't trust EA to do it right. They constantly give half-baked content, and I dont' expect this to be any different if they decide to do it. It's not that they can't, it's that I don't think they should.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    there is a mod for blindness now if you want one

@comicsforlife would you mind giving me a link to the mod? I've searched for it through Google but I can't find it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Blind (Complex Reward Trait) by YourFalseHope - Los Sims 4
    I don't know how to share a link thats the best I can do hope that helps @nerdfashion
  • Options

Thank you!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options

Thank you!

your welcome
  • Options

what other games
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    If EA can not do skin tones right what makes you think they can handle something so complex like disabilities. After a month we still have bugs in Eco Living so can we please fix this mess first.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I hope this type of thing is never added into a Sims game.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont have any disabilities nor any close family members of mine have it so I cant really give any input on whether it is offensive to do so or not. I do think for me itd be a learning experience and Id probably have to rethink builds for example (making them wheelchair accesible). I think it would be nice to see just from a educational standpoint.

One of my best friends though does know ASL and uses it regularly with some other asl-using friends and deaf friends so I think it would be cool to see animations like that. But then again idk how deaf would feel about it?

Then again there are always mods for this but without it being in game I personally wouldnt search for them to use them since its not something that comes to mind.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Everytime disabilities in the game pops up, you get 3 types of people and nothing ends up well.

In one corner you have people who think adding disabilities is politics and shouldnt be added.

In another corner you have people who have disabilities and want inclusion, and will raise heck if every single disability in the world isnt included.

And in another corner you also have people with disabilities but do not want inclusion since their real life disability sucks and would rather not have it in the game.

Myself, I belong in the "I dont have a strong opinion either way whether or not disabilities make an appearance" camp. But if disabilities do end up in the game somehow, I hope EA/Maxis is ready for the MASSIVE POOPSTORM that will occur.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Even though I have disabilities,I would not want to see them in any Sims game. Sims games are supposed to be fun and an escape from reality, and I'm getting sick and tired of seeing realistic players wanting a Sims game to be 100 % reality. I'm somewhat of a realistic player,but even I have to agree with those who don't want disabilities in a Sims game.It's bad enough vampire break-ins and alien abductions don't happen anymore; adding all sorts of real world disabilities would only make things worse for everyone.

#BringBackVampireBreakInsAndAlienAbductions
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member

what other games

Elder Scrolls Online. That's what made me write this post. I know of people who are really wishing for representation because not everyone can use mods (such as consoles, people with low end computers, etc.) They want to be able to have their Sim-Self in the game, same as the people of color. My friend wrote about something on FB about her having her avatar in a wheelchair and how her cat was sitting in her lap.

I can understand people who wouldn't want to represent themself with their disability because they want to get away from it. Heaven only knows my Sims have the best life in the world, a far cry from anything I have ever had or will ever have. But there are those who feel left out because they *don't* have representation of their physical disability.

And we already have representation of people's mental disabilities in the game. Pick the traits that fit you and you have it almost covered (and much closer than anyone with physical disabilities.) Are you saying those should be removed?
  • Options
    no I wasn't saying anything like that what I was saying is that it need to be included from the star so the game can be built around the idea
    of all the sims not being able to stand or walk around as it is right now the game would have to be changed from the ground up the streets
    would need ramps and animations from hugging to crying would all need to be changed just to make the wheelchair possible
    and while this would be nice for someone like your friend I'm sure there are other things not in the game that she would also really love
    to see added that everyone would enjoy like better babies and more new interactions and games for all are sims events and places to go
    that everyone would use but would not be possible if they had to redo so much just to make wheelchairs possible
  • Options
    oh and I looked up what you were talking about in elder scrolls online they just added an npc in a wheelchair its not playable and I'm pretty sure
    she can't go out adventuring with you that not what people want in sims 4 they want wheelchairs they can use
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    not content i went to see in the sims4 sorry op but i do not went to see such content in sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(