Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

#EAlisten movement

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I feel that most of the skintone swatches are bad. Light and dark and everything in between. There are only a few that I actually use on my sims.

This is why a color wheel is the only option for me; EA would probably just add in more lacklustre swatches.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I don’t expect to be able to create a realistic version of myself in the game. I’m much more interested in diversity in personality than what my sims look like.

This is actually a great point. The game cant please everybody. It will never be perfect in CAS, build, gameplay or other features, lest all of those at once!! Somethings gotta give. Id sacrifice hair anyday for better personalities. Id much rather have my Sims feel alive. Anything else I need I can get CC for it. Some of you may lose out more hair or skin, but its a sacrifice i am willing to make. 😌

ValidPreciousAnkole-size_restricted.gif

I weep for console players, but why would you want a sims game on console anyway?!

Me pretending like i didnt own 8 different sims console/handheld games 👀👀
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited August 2020
    Deleted
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    There was a tweet by SimGuruLyndsay addressing the skin tones just a couple minutes ago, she said there would be new skin tones and fixed skin tones by the fall.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruLyndsay/status/1293339102981402624
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    There was a tweet by SimGuruLyndsay addressing the skin tones just a couple minutes ago, she said there would be new skin tones and fixed skin tones by the fall.

About dang time. Imagine if no one spoke up.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I made a new thread.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979753/simgurylyndsey-addresses-skintones#latest
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    We also need people to speak up to fixing the
    Alien & Mermaid CAS Copy so it would work like the Vampires.
    All the eyes, teeth & pointed ears need to be released for all Sims.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I don’t expect to be able to create a realistic version of myself in the game. I’m much more interested in diversity in personality than what my sims look like.

This is actually a great point. The game cant please everybody. It will never be perfect in CAS, build, gameplay or other features, lest all of those at once!! Somethings gotta give. Id sacrifice hair anyday for better personalities. Id much rather have my Sims feel alive. Anything else I need I can get CC for it. Some of you may lose out more hair or skin, but its a sacrifice i am willing to make. 😌

I weep for console players, but why would you want a sims game on console anyway?!

Perhaps someone cant afford to get a computer to run the game. I know I couldnt before my husband business began gaining more jobs thus more financial security for us.

Or perhaps their parents wont buy them a computer or they have to share with siblings or others in the household.

Dont get me wrong, there is a world of difference betwwen playing on ps4 and a computer. But when you want something bad enough but its beyond your means you make do with what you can get.

I stopped buying packs on ps4 when Seasons came out and my console was crying for relief, lol. I got a computer and it runs so smooth its like night and day. 😋
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Perhaps someone cant afford to get a computer to run the game. I know I couldnt before my husband business began gaining more jobs thus more financial security for us.

Or perhaps their parents wont buy them a computer or they have to share with siblings or others in the household.

Dont get me wrong, there is a world of difference betwwen playing on ps4 and a computer. But when you want something bad enough but its beyond your means you make do with what you can get.

I know, im mostly joking with that last part. Ive gotten console games when my family didnt have a computer at the time or I couldnt afford a computer to play them on.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    The #EAListen movement worked. We got skin tones. But we have more work to do...
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    Hi,

I see that a lot of YT Simmers and Customers are spamming on The Sims social media and trying to let EA to give us more skin and hair tones. Do you thing that they will finally get us more skin tones? If yes, what should be fixed next?

I guess that it should be more item swatches, matching cabinets and more lots for base game and expansion worlds.

Before I start I'm going to apologize for seeming like I am attacking anybody or calling them racist and discriminatory towards the disabled. This thing being part of Native American really hits a chord with me. That part of my Heritage doesn't even exist and my husband is disabled with MS. I would love into turning him into a sim but since disabilities aren't in the game I have to use mods to do that. Yet adding more and CC into the game and if something is conflicting it means more I have to shift through or get frustrated and remove everything then add what I know isn't a problem back in. The point I'm making is that I shouldn't have to use CC just to exist. Again I apologize for coming across as a total (bleep)

Before I start my rant I do want more skintones and hair in the game. I'm not opposed to that at all but I simply believe that other things demand a higher priority to these things.

There is a higher chance of more skin tones and hair then Native Americans ever being in Sims 4. Let me emphasis that the Native American and Canada's Fist People do NOT exist at all in sims 4. No head presets. No clothing. No skin tones. No hair. Nothing at all. Nor are there disabilities in the game either. There is a prejudice against the Native Americans and the disabled it would seem to me. I say this because of all the YouTuber videos focusing on more skin tones but not even bothering to mention that absence of an entire race of people. That comes across a form of covert racism and discrimination against the disabled. I stopped following channels over this.

Granted where disabilities are concerned it's impossible to do everyone in the game however the common ones like hearing impaired, visually impaired, Parkinson's Disease and other more "common" disabilities could be added. If a modder can unlock elevators to put everywhere why haven't the professionals done this yet? It chips at the diversity that I genuinely can say I love about the sims. However, when one group of individuals is omitted there cannot be genuine and complete diversity. I have said this before I love that we have LBGTQ Community represented, African descent, Latinos, Polynesians Samoans, and other groups represented in the sims. I applaud this and welcome more diversity.

Two groups of people completely omitted from the Sims and some people think that these groups shouldn't exist in the community because hair and skin tones take a higher priority in their minds. I believe that every race, culture and ethnicity at least should be the top priority followed by adding in skintones to match as many of us as possible. I truly want more skintones and hairstyles and hair colours. If your race and ethnicity exist in the sims consider yourself fortunate. I have to use 100% CC to create a Native American sim including custom presets I am experimenting with that I created myself. When I feel comfortable sharing them I will with the community. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. I feel like it shouldn't be my job to do this because the base game should already have it.

I make my passionate comments through both observations and by watching these videos and from comments made in the comment section in those videos I've seen. My observation of the channels I've seen none of these YouTubers mentioning how an entire race is missing from the sims 4 is a great injustice. If you are one a YouTuber reading this and you have not used your influence to make sure every race and ethnicity is represented then you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem. I know that sounds very cold and harsh but I honestly do not how to word it nicely. I apologize for the stinging harshness of my words. I personally have left channels in tears and feeling genuinely offended and insulted because of what appears to me to seem like a blatant form of covert racism on their part. It takes a lot to actually insult and offend me.

I apologize if I came across as calling anyone a racist I don't know any of the YouTubers who have made these videos on their channel but if you have rewatched and look for you are saying anything in your video and comment section about races not existing and anybody saying anything about how some races don't even exist at all. Everybody has the right to exist. Nobody should be left out. You all need to start using your influence to start making serious changes. Comment and validate those with concerns about entire races not existing and those with disabilities or wishing for them in your comment section or make a new comment or do a second video about how some simmers can't recreate their race or even have their sims with disabilities without using or creating CC and custom presets when it should already be a part of the base game or as a patch added in for the base game. That it's a shameful disgrace to omit entire races cultures ethnicities and the disabled. I know of a couple of YouTubers working on getting disabilities in the game. I thank you and I support your cause. Please keep up the good work and maybe one-day disabilities will exist even if its simply just a few at first. Then hopefully more will surely follow.

We can name Cowplants finally but still disabilities and Native Americans don't even exist in the game. What kind of prioritizing is that? As much as I love the whimsical ability to name Cowplants it should have taken a backseat to more skin tones, more ethnicity, more hairstyles especially more race and ethnic-based hairstyles and hair colours. more races, more cultures more lifestyles that are considered fringe yet still legal and keeping in the T rating being added into the game first. The time the devs used to code naming Cowplants they could have used to create a few head presets for some of the missing races in the game. More diversity should always come first then worry about being whimsical demands of your influencers. Again I apologize for sounding so cold and harsh I couldn't think of a better way to word this. I'm just saying prioritize.

As for Native Americans, I honestly believe that there will never be Native Americans in the game ever. As much I would love to see them, other minorities with a louder voice will be taken care of first as the desire for Native Americans and other races, cultures and ethnicities that don't exist in-game will always be drowned out and as a result, and because of this will never be part of the sims 4 reality. I accept that reality and still despise that injustice. I have learned to be fine with my Native American heritage being omitted but I am not fine with the injustice of it all if that makes any sense. My rant is about the injustice being done.

With my rant done. I honestly don't mean to scream racism and discrimination but it's simply how it appears to me and I could simply be misinterpreting things yet again. Wouldn't be the first time. Sorry again.

Again I apologize if my words hurt anybody's feelings or made any of you feel uncomfortable. This is a topic that I feel passionate about and will continue to call people out on whenever possible. I apologize if my words sting in the process and I come across as a total (bleep) If you haven't noticed by now I really have no filter and I did my best not to swear or come across as insulting to others or call others racist or pull the race card. I did my best to word things to not be harsh and insensitive towards others but EA truly needs to prioritize with missing races and disabilities being a top priority I feel.

I know I'm responding to this well after the fact (and also maybe contributing to necroposting?), but I thought you raised some important points and issues. I was actually just thinking about this myself the other day when I wanted to create a sim version of a Native American person I admire IRL, but didn't know where to start.

And I think maybe that's the crux of the issue? There is a delicate balancing act sometimes where we want to see more representation, but also if it's there, we want to be sure it's handled right?

I guess what I mean is, I personally play rotationally, and I like my sims world to be a reflection of my real-life world: people of all ages/races/orientations/gender identities/abilities/family compositions/etc. I want it to look like with the real world, with the addition of a few fantasy elements, of course. But I find that even in my own personal game, I try to be careful about avoiding stereotypes or misrepresentations when I'm creating sims. Sometimes I find that challenging, either due to a combination of my own challenges with CAS or the ways the available tools are lacking.

So, for example, creating black and East Asian and Latinx sims has been maybe not a perfect process, particularly before the addition of the new hairs and skintones, but it is something I have found easier than, say, creating an Indian (as in, from India) or MENA or Native American sim. Again, partly because of my own lack of artistic abilities or knowledge gap and partly because of the available options. Which makes me also wonder whether the devs are nervous about trying to get it right; if so, I hope that what we are seeing is a delay as they try to seek more knowledge on the subject rather than just ignoring it.

Although I don't watch many Youtube videos about games in general, I would be very interested in seeing a Youtuber who is a Native American herself/himself do a tutorial on how to create an appropriate representation of a Native American sim in game. (Not that all Native Americans look alike any more than members of any other racial group do, but I would love to see an analysis of which range of features and tones might be appropriate, and to the extent that good options are not available, examples of what those options should be.

Disabilities I think present a slightly different issue. As someone with some visual impairments, I'm glad that glasses are included, and I think they could go a bit further with that. It seems like hearing aids could be included somewhat easily as a cosmetic option/accessory, but the coding could get complicated beyond that. Canes would be pretty easy to code, I think, but wheelchairs could present much more of a technical challenge. I had not thought about the elevators you mentioned, but that makes a lot of sense. Overall, I hope that these are also things they are continuing to explore. In the end, I suspect it will come down to some sort of balancing act between visual/cosmetic nods to disabilities vs. in-depth gameplay changes... not because disability representation doesn't matter, but because this iteration of the game seems to have difficulty with anything that's particularly in-depth.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    ^ It's not necroposting. It hasn't even been 2 years per that EA community manager's FAQ answers on the subject.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    The #EAListen movement worked. We got skin tones. But we have more work to do...

What do you suggest?