Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

#EAlisten movement

Comments

• Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2020
    “Monthly average players” doesn’t mean paying customers. They give this game away for free all the time.

Similar to when Netflix stopped gaining new yoy customers/revenue so they changed their success barometer over to “monthly viewers” instead of new subscribers.

The game has millions of paying customers. The Base game has been free. A couple times? Not for very long. The EP's & GPs for "this game" are NOT. And those are definitely selling. But i wont be getting back into that :*

I would question the claim that the game has been free a “couple of times” or hasn’t been marked down from $50 some odd dollars to $5.

@Sim_Architects I’m not trying to fight the fact that the game is popular lol. I’m just providing information on how us manipulative business people adjust numbers to create an impression of tremendous popularity/sales. Rly doesn’t need a condescending kissy face lmao.

It really hasnt been free very many times. I remember twice that it was ,like @SelinaKyles said. Ive been keeping up with The Sims 4 since 2014. And it hasnt been for long stretches of time. It has been for like a month, twice. Anyways, the base game is just one aspect of the Sims 4. Are there sales sometimes? Yes, I dont see sales as a sign that a game is doing poorly. Not everyone can afford to buy games at retail price all the time and the sales help a lot of people own all the packs easier. I dont wait for sales and they arent really that big of sales.

The sims is a 20 year old franchise and has international success. There are definitely lots of players. Im not sure how that can really be contested. From being in the sims groups alone, i see players from all over the world. Its amazing.
  • Options
    dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    The black hair colour has a weird blue tone to it and the platinum blonde has an odd green. The yellow yellow hair is just bad. The only natural hair colours that I use are the dark brown, the middle ginger and the middle blond. The black eyebrows look terrible on darker skin tones. The salt and pepper hair has a better black to it than the actual 'black' hair. The unnaturals are fine but we need more variety in them.

The only way I could imagine it being fixed is with a colour wheel (the same with skin tones) and options to pick what ombre colours the hair has (as I have to use CC if I want my sims to have different hairstyles per outfit and I know that option isn't availible for console players)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    Remember when people kept spamming about toddlers ? Then seasons ? Then university? People don’t understand things take time. I’m pretty sure they are working on it because they are aware that this has been brought up before. It will come out when it’s ready . We just need to be patient

to be patient? six years is not enough for ea to have added features like color wheel, cars, moving babies, burglars, bunk beds and all the other stuff people is afraid to ask cuz devs and die-hard fans keep saying they are not possible?? (just like how toddlers, pools etc was "not possible" either until people complained about it..

developing a game takes time too, but instead ea did not hesitate in delivering a half done ts4

Devs never said toddlers and pools weren't possible, but yeah, some players did. They were in development because the game wasn't finished in time but some people didn't want to believe it for some reason.

They did say, however, that color wheels are one of the few things that they can't do in Sims 4 at this point. The development tech of the Sims as they are now doesn't support it and I guess it's something they can't go back and change. Pets were done with a color wheel because they were developed from the beginning, separately, to have one. (Has to do with having layers on the avatar, I guess?) So people shouldn't hold their breath for a color wheel, it's not happening.

i don't believe anything ea says, they contradict themselves way too much.
    as for the color wheel, then i'll have fun seeing how ea struggles to excuse and fix the whole skintones issue in the game. they will probably add more swatches since that's easier to do, but for many people it won't be enough.
    how could a game that goes all about customization and representation leave out the color wheel?

I personally don't feel that a color wheel is needed to accomplish that. I prefer the grid swatch system myself. However, I have to say that if they knew they had to pull the color wheel then they should have planned a more diverse selection of color swatches by default. The meager selection we have now definitely doesn't make up for that and it needs attention.

I also feel that if EA/Maxis hadn't decided to jump on the trend bandwagon in the first place, talking constantly about diversity and inclusion for social points, they wouldn't have backed themselves into this situation to begin with. They jumped into the fray, shouting with their marketing to show their support for this group and that cause and now players are holding them accountable for it. Had they left the game to interpretation (yet still added the same diversity), players probably wouldn't have felt as strongly about calling them out. But they're probably going to have to do something about it or they'll come off as disingenuous. And that will make a difference when the competition comes out.

Previously, Sims games were whatever the players wanted to make them. In this iteration, the company decided to tell its players what the game was about. Now people want them to stick to it and they have a responsibility to do so.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Add a freaking color wheel/slide! That way people who prefer swatches can still have them and us who want more can also get what we want. Better yet, with a color wheel you can make and save your own swatches and then never touch the color wheel again if you dont want to. I know that it might be super hard to add it right now, but i hope they take the time to try if they havent already.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sims 4 started their marketing by talking about how smart and weird their sims are. But the AI is bad and sims have no personalities, so they ditched it for gameplay. But then they realized they had no gameplay, so they leaned hard into the "insert yourself into the game so you can live vicariously through your sim. We are inclusive!" But you can't even do that for a multitude of reasons.
    Akl500P wrote: »
    I don’t see hair colors being addressed or changed at this point. It be a ton of work and would be very time consuming to add it to every existing hair in the game. As much as I would love it I just don’t see it happening as it be too much at this point in the life of the game.
    I always thought they had blank hair models and just threw a color on top of them, rather than coloring them "by hand" individually. Either way, I imagine it being more time-consuming than difficult, and the longer they wait, the harder it gets. And frankly, these issues be so pressing if we hadn't been waiting 6 years for them to be addressed.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    I'm probably the only black simmer that doesn't have a problem with the skin tones. The sim in my avatar uses one of the controversial skin tones and I don't care what anyone says, she's beautiful. If they give us more, great. If they don't, that's fine. I do not care.

Also, we don't need a color wheel or a skin tone slider. The color wheel, patterns and renders for Sims 3 were a part of what bogged down the game and made it difficult on most people's machines. I hated the sliders because if you had 2 parents who had skin tones from 2 different sliders, your baby could only have one skin tone or the other. At least in Sims 4, there's a chance that your child might come out in between.

It’s a problem for enough black simmers that they should definitely address it. They’ve been pandering to the black community with the BLM stuff . So they definitely need to follow through with some action. The dark skin tones are ashen. And lack warmth.

We do need a color wheel and slider because people need to be able to create sims they can relate to more easily. We need MORE options not less. You can always just not make use of those features if we get them, but others shouldn’t suffer just because you don’t need them.

• Options
    RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    More skin and hair colors would be a big improvement. Assuming they listen to us and it does be a thing, the question is will this be in a free update or in a pack? It could honestly go either way but the cynical part of me says we'll end up having to buy this because EA does love milking the cash cow.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    How skintones and hair colors can be put in pack? I can not imagine that. Yellow light and ash dark skin in base game but ivory and warm dark skin will be in pack?
  • Options
    RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    How skintones and hair colors can be put in pack? I can not imagine that. Yellow light and ash dark skin in base game but ivory and warm dark skin will be in pack?

Skin and hair colors is definitely in the patch content area, putting this into a stuff or game pack would just be evil.

iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I'm probably the only black simmer that doesn't have a problem with the skin tones. The sim in my avatar uses one of the controversial skin tones and I don't care what anyone says, she's beautiful. If they give us more, great. If they don't, that's fine. I do not care.

Also, we don't need a color wheel or a skin tone slider. The color wheel, patterns and renders for Sims 3 were a part of what bogged down the game and made it difficult on most people's machines. I hated the sliders because if you had 2 parents who had skin tones from 2 different sliders, your baby could only have one skin tone or the other. At least in Sims 4, there's a chance that your child might come out in between.

@TheSpotted_C Well no not really. It was not the color wheel itself that was heavy on the systems and slowed down the game. It was the millions of premade patterns and the ability to save your own patterns. A colour wheel like in cats and dogs is no big problem as you can tell since it didn't cause problems and also guys its 2020 and not 2009 anymore.
    There were several things that made The Sims 3 difficult to run and even though the color wheel customization options could have been part of the problem I would argue they were not too much of a problem. Nobody really knows exactly what the cause of the problem was so let's not act like we do.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I can see EA/Maxis producing a pack set in Africa and saying "look we've got new skin tones" o:)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2020
    They cared enough to include modded skintones in their tv show.

How about you making those skintones yourselves Maxis?
  • Options

@TheSpotted_C Well no not really. It was not the color wheel itself that was heavy on the systems and slowed down the game. It was the millions of premade patterns and the ability to save your own patterns. A colour wheel like in cats and dogs is no big problem as you can tell since it didn't cause problems and also guys its 2020 and not 2009 anymore.
    There were several things that made The Sims 3 difficult to run and even though the color wheel customization options could have been part of the problem I would argue they were not too much of a problem. Nobody really knows exactly what the cause of the problem was so let's not act like we do.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. My PC system was pretty much top of the line when Cats and Dogs came out, and I made a lot of pets using the color wheel and patterns. There's a section of my Library that's full of pet households. To this day, whenever I'm scrolling through my Library, when I reach those households, the game pauses for a couple of seconds to load them. It's a significant difference in performance from loading Sim households. I'm pretty sure that if we'd had the same options for Sims, there would be a lot of lag and choppiness in the game, especially on average or older systems.

The Sims isn't like other games. With everything in the game being customizable, a color wheel is going to have a more profound effect than in, say, an MMO because people's systems have to calculate all of the individual colors and layers including alternate categories of outfits, hair, makeup, accessories, skin details, etc. Most other games only have to calculate one uniform look, and then maybe specific slots for outfit/armor pieces. They don't change for showers or work or saunas, or special circumstances either.

But you're right, it's 2020. Perhaps there's better tech now for the next iteration.
    #Team Occult
  • Options

I wouldn't necessarily say that. My PC system was pretty much top of the line when Cats and Dogs came out, and I made a lot of pets using the color wheel and patterns. There's a section of my Library that's full of pet households. To this day, whenever I'm scrolling through my Library, when I reach those households, the game pauses for a couple of seconds to load them. It's a significant difference in performance from loading Sim households. I'm pretty sure that if we'd had the same options for Sims, there would be a lot of lag and choppiness in the game, especially on average or older systems.

The Sims isn't like other games. With everything in the game being customizable, a color wheel is going to have a more profound effect than in, say, an MMO because people's systems have to calculate all of the individual colors and layers including alternate categories of outfits, hair, makeup, accessories, skin details, etc. Most other games only have to calculate one uniform look, and then maybe specific slots for outfit/armor pieces. They don't change for showers or work or saunas, or special circumstances either.

But you're right, it's 2020. Perhaps there's better tech now for the next iteration.

Well yeah but are you sure that when you scroll over the families in the gallery the game is loading the color wheel? I cannot imagine that being a thing. I can imagine there being lag when opening up the color wheel in CAS but I can't imagine there being any background process while scrolling through families that involves the color wheel. But that's just me I guess.
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Hi,

I see that a lot of YT Simmers and Customers are spamming on The Sims social media and trying to let EA to give us more skin and hair tones. Do you thing that they will finally get us more skin tones? If yes, what should be fixed next?

I guess that it should be more item swatches, matching cabinets and more lots for base game and expansion worlds.

I went to twitter and things are not pretty.. they are rioting :#
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    There might be another reason they did not add cast other than preformance, they talked about the challenge they had with it during ts3's life span, it had to do with textures. However, the reason they gave doesnt apply to the color wheel/slider so i am really curious why did they leave these tools out. Maybe it is for preformance but i am not a game coder so i cant tell if that guess is correct or not. If they wont add a color wheel then at least give us tons of swatches both for bb items and cas. Would more swatches cause lag too? i guess we are done if they do because i cant think of another alternative.
  • Options

Well yeah but are you sure that when you scroll over the families in the gallery the game is loading the color wheel? I cannot imagine that being a thing. I can imagine there being lag when opening up the color wheel in CAS but I can't imagine there being any background process while scrolling through families that involves the color wheel. But that's just me I guess.

I honestly don't know for sure, as I'm not a developer. But even in Manage Worlds, the pet specific households, particularly ones with several pets, seem to take longer to load. I could say that it's because pets were added later and not in base game, but so were Toddlers and they load fine for me. I can only assume it has to do with the customization.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Hi,

I see that a lot of YT Simmers and Customers are spamming on The Sims social media and trying to let EA to give us more skin and hair tones. Do you thing that they will finally get us more skin tones? If yes, what should be fixed next?

I guess that it should be more item swatches, matching cabinets and more lots for base game and expansion worlds.

Before I start I'm going to apologize for seeming like I am attacking anybody or calling them racist and discriminatory towards the disabled. This thing being part of Native American really hits a chord with me. That part of my Heritage doesn't even exist and my husband is disabled with MS. I would love into turning him into a sim but since disabilities aren't in the game I have to use mods to do that. Yet adding more and CC into the game and if something is conflicting it means more I have to shift through or get frustrated and remove everything then add what I know isn't a problem back in. The point I'm making is that I shouldn't have to use CC just to exist. Again I apologize for coming across as a total (bleep)

Before I start my rant I do want more skintones and hair in the game. I'm not opposed to that at all but I simply believe that other things demand a higher priority to these things.

There is a higher chance of more skin tones and hair then Native Americans ever being in Sims 4. Let me emphasis that the Native American and Canada's Fist People do NOT exist at all in sims 4. No head presets. No clothing. No skin tones. No hair. Nothing at all. Nor are there disabilities in the game either. There is a prejudice against the Native Americans and the disabled it would seem to me. I say this because of all the YouTuber videos focusing on more skin tones but not even bothering to mention that absence of an entire race of people. That comes across a form of covert racism and discrimination against the disabled. I stopped following channels over this.

Granted where disabilities are concerned it's impossible to do everyone in the game however the common ones like hearing impaired, visually impaired, Parkinson's Disease and other more "common" disabilities could be added. If a modder can unlock elevators to put everywhere why haven't the professionals done this yet? It chips at the diversity that I genuinely can say I love about the sims. However, when one group of individuals is omitted there cannot be genuine and complete diversity. I have said this before I love that we have LBGTQ Community represented, African descent, Latinos, Polynesians Samoans, and other groups represented in the sims. I applaud this and welcome more diversity.

Two groups of people completely omitted from the Sims and some people think that these groups shouldn't exist in the community because hair and skin tones take a higher priority in their minds. I believe that every race, culture and ethnicity at least should be the top priority followed by adding in skintones to match as many of us as possible. I truly want more skintones and hairstyles and hair colours. If your race and ethnicity exist in the sims consider yourself fortunate. I have to use 100% CC to create a Native American sim including custom presets I am experimenting with that I created myself. When I feel comfortable sharing them I will with the community. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. I feel like it shouldn't be my job to do this because the base game should already have it.

I make my passionate comments through both observations and by watching these videos and from comments made in the comment section in those videos I've seen. My observation of the channels I've seen none of these YouTubers mentioning how an entire race is missing from the sims 4 is a great injustice. If you are one a YouTuber reading this and you have not used your influence to make sure every race and ethnicity is represented then you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem. I know that sounds very cold and harsh but I honestly do not how to word it nicely. I apologize for the stinging harshness of my words. I personally have left channels in tears and feeling genuinely offended and insulted because of what appears to me to seem like a blatant form of covert racism on their part. It takes a lot to actually insult and offend me.

I apologize if I came across as calling anyone a racist I don't know any of the YouTubers who have made these videos on their channel but if you have rewatched and look for you are saying anything in your video and comment section about races not existing and anybody saying anything about how some races don't even exist at all. Everybody has the right to exist. Nobody should be left out. You all need to start using your influence to start making serious changes. Comment and validate those with concerns about entire races not existing and those with disabilities or wishing for them in your comment section or make a new comment or do a second video about how some simmers can't recreate their race or even have their sims with disabilities without using or creating CC and custom presets when it should already be a part of the base game or as a patch added in for the base game. That it's a shameful disgrace to omit entire races cultures ethnicities and the disabled. I know of a couple of YouTubers working on getting disabilities in the game. I thank you and I support your cause. Please keep up the good work and maybe one-day disabilities will exist even if its simply just a few at first. Then hopefully more will surely follow.

We can name Cowplants finally but still disabilities and Native Americans don't even exist in the game. What kind of prioritizing is that? As much as I love the whimsical ability to name Cowplants it should have taken a backseat to more skin tones, more ethnicity, more hairstyles especially more race and ethnic-based hairstyles and hair colours. more races, more cultures more lifestyles that are considered fringe yet still legal and keeping in the T rating being added into the game first. The time the devs used to code naming Cowplants they could have used to create a few head presets for some of the missing races in the game. More diversity should always come first then worry about being whimsical demands of your influencers. Again I apologize for sounding so cold and harsh I couldn't think of a better way to word this. I'm just saying prioritize.

As for Native Americans, I honestly believe that there will never be Native Americans in the game ever. As much I would love to see them, other minorities with a louder voice will be taken care of first as the desire for Native Americans and other races, cultures and ethnicities that don't exist in-game will always be drowned out and as a result, and because of this will never be part of the sims 4 reality. I accept that reality and still despise that injustice. I have learned to be fine with my Native American heritage being omitted but I am not fine with the injustice of it all if that makes any sense. My rant is about the injustice being done.

With my rant done. I honestly don't mean to scream racism and discrimination but it's simply how it appears to me and I could simply be misinterpreting things yet again. Wouldn't be the first time. Sorry again.

Again I apologize if my words hurt anybody's feelings or made any of you feel uncomfortable. This is a topic that I feel passionate about and will continue to call people out on whenever possible. I apologize if my words sting in the process and I come across as a total (bleep) If you haven't noticed by now I really have no filter and I did my best not to swear or come across as insulting to others or call others racist or pull the race card. I did my best to word things to not be harsh and insensitive towards others but EA truly needs to prioritize with missing races and disabilities being a top priority I feel.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    It’s a problem for enough black simmers that they should definitely address it. They’ve been pandering to the black community with the BLM stuff . So they definitely need to follow through with some action. The dark skin tones are ashen. And lack warmth.

We do need a color wheel and slider because people need to be able to create sims they can relate to more easily. We need MORE options not less. You can always just not make use of those features if we get them, but others shouldn’t suffer just because you don’t need them.

Pandering being the operative word. It's very easy to just post a black square or say something online and keep going about your everyday life. People were upset that EA didn't say anything fast enough. Then, they said something and people are upset that they're not doing/saying more. It's just a PR/marketing game to them, the same way these companies "rainbow it up" every June so everyone thinks they really care about LGBT+ rights. It's trendy to be seen as "woke" online, and whether they believe in what they're doing or not, it doesn't cost them anything to do it. The point of pandering isn't to actually stand in your beliefs or do anything, it's just to be viewed in a favorable light.

With regard to color wheel and sliders, I don't think we need them and whether I make use of it or not, it's most likely going to have an effect on the way the game runs. Not to mention, if they add it for CAS, it's definitely going to mess with genetics. I don't want it.

@SimmerGeorge hence why I used a part of and also mentioned 'patterns' as a part of the problem in my original post. The color wheel, and patterns, and the need for objects to render as a result of having the color wheel and patterns contributed to the issues. Nowhere did I say that these were the definitive reasons why things lagged. So yes, really. :)
  • Options
    As a builder I DO need color wheel . I can’t stand the color swatches for siding . And the wall paints also lack options. I need more! 😐
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Why couldn't a color wheel/CASt be an option that people could turn off? If they're not accessing it, then there would be no stress on their system. I think it's unfair that those of us who had no issue with the color wheel/CASt in TS3 wouldn't get it back because "some" people have computers that it might be too taxing.

I totally agree there at least needs to be some way to adjust the skintones. They are hideous, I'm truly wondering if anybody on EA's design are a POC, because there is no way that if there were that they would not have complained and been outraged by the horrible skin tones they opted to put in the game, even the new swatches aren't any better.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Pandering being the operative word. It's very easy to just post a black square or say something online and keep going about your everyday life. People were upset that EA didn't say anything fast enough. Then, they said something and people are upset that they're not doing/saying more. It's just a PR/marketing game to them, the same way these companies "rainbow it up" every June so everyone thinks they really care about LGBT+ rights. It's trendy to be seen as "woke" online, and whether they believe in what they're doing or not, it doesn't cost them anything to do it. The point of pandering isn't to actually stand in your beliefs or do anything, it's just to be viewed in a favorable light.

With regard to color wheel and sliders, I don't think we need them and whether I make use of it or not, it's most likely going to have an effect on the way the game runs. Not to mention, if they add it for CAS, it's definitely going to mess with genetics. I don't want it.

@SimmerGeorge hence why I used a part of and also mentioned 'patterns' as a part of the problem in my original post. The color wheel, and patterns, and the need for objects to render as a result of having the color wheel and patterns contributed to the issues. Nowhere did I say that these were the definitive reasons why things lagged. So yes, really. :)

"we don't need the color wheel." I think you meant YOU don't need...
  • Options
    Why couldn't a color wheel/CASt be an option that people could turn off? If they're not accessing it, then there would be no stress on their system. I think it's unfair that those of us who had no issue with the color wheel/CASt in TS3 wouldn't get it back because "some" people have computers that it might be too taxing.

I totally agree there at least needs to be some way to adjust the skintones. They are hideous, I'm truly wondering if anybody on EA's design are a POC, because there is no way that if there were that they would not have complained and been outraged by the horrible skin tones they opted to put in the game, even the new swatches aren't any better.

@Chicklet453681 I think then they would have to make the same amount of swatches for people who don't use the color wheel and also develop the color wheel itself, so kind of double duty. The reason why Sims 3 had like 3 swatches only is because you could make your own, if you could disable the color wheel you'd be stuck with 3 swatches.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t expect to be able to create a realistic version of myself in the game. I’m much more interested in diversity in personality than what my sims look like.