Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else miss a thing called 'Gameplay'?

DemyanoSlavDemyanoSlav Posts: 581 Member
Having bought this 'interesting' pack, I have to say that my assumptions that I wasted $40 was right on the money. Having watched LGR's video and read some of the comments about it, I honestly couldn't have put it better myself.

I realize that the chick who produces the games or whatever said in the video that there is a lot of stuff that she'd like to do but just isn't possible. Honestly, I have to call bull. Gaming is evolving by leaps and bounds. Why the heck isn't The Sims? I've seen more gameplay in The Sims 1. Making Magic, anyone? That was an absolute masterpiece. Hot Date? Downtown was epic - So many things to do! That Celeb pack? Holy Hannah, that was fun.

Then we get this. Is it just me, or does The Sims 5 seem like something that shouldn't actually happen? I don't know about you, but I'm keeping my expectations *severely low* because I know I will simply be disappointed.

How sad that it will probably utilize a Closed World feature in a world where Open-World games are becoming more and more frequent. That is both insulting to the gaming community and to the franchise as a whole. Bring back the team from Sims 3 to make Sims 5, and we'd be in business.

Comments

• Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Wow, I am sad that you are having so little fun with it. I have been playing the Sims since 2000 when it was released. I literally have every expac ever made for it. I have yet to encounter any of them that doesn't have something engaging to do. Honestly, I did love the Sims 3 the best but 4 is still surprising me with some of the stuff it does. I don't like this latest expansion pack yet. I like the concept but the neighborhood action plans just aren't working right yet. They need to fix those. I have sims baking cakes and doing push-ups in neighborhoods where those NAPs are not active. Its disruptive to my gameplay and that is driving me a little crazy. Also I play a lot of open-world games. I actually hope they don't go that direction unless it's optional. I hope you find a game you do enjoy. Plenty of new ones coming out.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited June 2020
    Eco Lifestyle was definitely a bit disappointing.
    They did try to add some gameplay, but the problem is it's BROKEN! NAPS are obnoxious and badly implemented, and the Eco Footprint is too easy to make "Green." I was looking forward to making the world polluted, but you can't do that! It will instantly revert to Neutral.
    All I can say is that if you want to add gameplay, make sure it's not broken before you release it. Otherwise it's just pointless.
    $40 is outrageous for all the Expansion Packs, I vowed never to pay full price for any of their packs years ago. In it's current state, it's not even worth $20.
    When they release something that has actual gameplay and isn't broken, maybe I'll purchase it, but they need to do a lot better!
    Post edited by bixters on
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I can't relate. Yes there are bugs in eco that need fixing but it didn't take the fun. Away from it and I know they will eventually be fixed. Probably by a mod first then an official patch.
    I've been candle making, protesting the dirty city, having photoshoots, living with homeless sims, trying to make it big as a celebrity, collecting bits for more stuff to make etc etc. With so much more to try. This pack really expanded the gameplay (for me) I am enjoying it overall.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    from what i can see, there is gameplay but it seems to be a little bugged. This might have decreased your enjoyment, perhaps? I dont own it and i am not going to buy it anytime soon, but i am pacing my opinion on some of the features i saw others talk about. It does not seem that bad. Some of those action plans seem kinda annoying though lol.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    We don't really know if Sims 5 will be open world or closed world..we'll have to see in 2021.Who knows-it could be a mix of all the best features from Sims 1-4(as long as we never see tons full of fat-faced Sims again).
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Ts4 seems to focus more on visual rather than gameplay sadly. CAS and build mode are superior to all previous games but is severely lacking in the gameplay department. There are exception for instance vampires is the most fun but family players are loyally screwed over in ts4.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah the gameplay is lacking so much that not even YouTubers play the game anymore. They just do build challenges.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2020
    Agreed, Eco Lifestyle is a terrible pack gameplay wise which is a shame since it had potential, should've stayed a stuff pack or a game pack as the stuff is the saving grace.

Recently I've been doing a gameplay runthrough playing with individual packs and centering my gameplay around these packs and the aspirations in them. I've done University, Outdoor Retreat, ROM and Island Living and they were great fun to play with. Since starting my Eco Lifestyle gameplay however I've been bored with the game for the first time in a while. Tried to do the freelancer career but it was so boring I gave up - all you do is make a rug every. single. day. Yawn. If you wanna make anything else you have to be maxed out in the skill.

Then I've tried playing with NAPs and they're so ridiculously easy and boring, I just gave every sim in the neighborhood random rocks I had in my inventory and then I had enough points to win the vote
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Yeah the gameplay is lacking so much that not even YouTubers play the game anymore. They just do build challenges.

Yeah! I noticed this also. Almost all sims youtubers stick to build challenges becasue building in TS4 is the best it has ever been in a sims game. If only they would update the game to add more depth and gameplay thats really TS4 needs at this point. That is why I am protesting a Generations expansion pack before anything. We really need a Generations pack as I think this will bring so much needed gameplay to the sims 4.

The foundation of TS4 is okay, they are halfway there now compared to when this game first released and I do sometimes have fun with it. But features in this game need an overhaul. The game needs to be more challenging.

We need emotions, traits, aspirations and whims to be overhalued!! Babies need to not be objects anymore!! And we need a lot more things to do for life states OTHER THAN Adults and Yound Adults.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Holy crap I noticed this now too....like...wwwhhhaaatt?
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Am having no problems at all with the new pack because I don't have it and have no intention of changing that. As for gameplay, I think the devs need to find a good dictionary and look the word up as it seems they don't know what it is. When I bother with a game at all I have TS2, 3 & 1 to play. TS4 makes a certain famous ocean liner look pristine even after 108 years on the bottom of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    This videos summarises it well. Lack of long term gameplay is the culprit.

https://youtu.be/zk06dk_G8bI
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2020
    Other game developers saw this and invested and improved their games because they knew that their games had to evolve if they wanted people to keep buying them. For some reason the sims just gets excuses or a free pass.

They don't improve the sims4 more than some small updates each year, otherwise they just keep making the same packs over and over again to keep people interested and to get people to keep buying their packs, but they can't keep doing it forever.

When I saw that they updated the inventory and added firefighters I was not sure how I felt. I was happy that we got firefighters but I also could not believe that we did not get them until 2020, 6 years after the release of the game. At this rate we are going to get burglars in 2026.

I think that they are already dragging this game out longer than I think they should. And more and more people are going to get tired of it if they don't update the game more often, add long-term goals and make some gameplay elements more fun than watching paint dry.

5yqTMD9.png
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    This pack has more game play for a pack than they've actually offered in a good long while. The features can affect all worlds if you let them. That's pretty big. Problem is, a lot of it is broken. I've had to turn off NAPS and try to ignore the eco-footprint constantly moving back to neutral too quickly. Those were big selling points for this pack though so I'm hoping that they won't leave them broken for long.

I'm having fun with this pack despite that though. I do think that selling features shouldn't be broken at launch, however, I've spent the money now and I'm enjoying what I can.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    This pack has more game play for a pack than they've actually offered in a good long while. The features can affect all worlds if you let them. That's pretty big. Problem is, a lot of it is broken. I've had to turn off NAPS and try to ignore the eco-footprint constantly moving back to neutral too quickly. Those were big selling points for this pack though so I'm hoping that they won't leave them broken for long.

@Camkat Well it's not really more gameplay, just more features but still not made in-depth. As LGR and Carl pointed out the Eco footprint system is just ridiculous and the NAPS are just weird and not fun, they are very similar to clubs in a way that makes them seem lazy. The sims seem to just be following the NAPS like robots leading to that sink issue in Carl's review.
  • Options
    @SimmerGeorge I did acknowledge that they were broken. ;) However, that can be fixed and I hope it does get fixed. It's not great to launch a pack like that for sure and unfortunately TS4 is building itself quite a bad rep for that kind of thing as of late.

If you compare it to the other expansions that we've gotten in the past year though (IL and DU), it does have more game play and more to do (IMO) and it can be far reaching. Sulani was beautiful but it didn't affect my other neighbourhoods and the game play was limited to that one world. To get the full benefits of EL, you should be in Evergreen Harbour, but at least I can change footprints of other worlds too, or change how the townies act with NAPS. DU offered... university. If you didn't like the university experience then there wasn't much in that pack for you. To be expected since it was called University, however the time it took me to grind out school, my sim could have been working to get to that career level and it just felt pointless. I've sent one sim to university and I'm done with watching them read now. *shrugs*

Maybe the past year of expansions has lowered my expectations, but I do feel like this one has a little more to it than recent past packs.

Of course, it's just my opinion anyways. Everyone will get different mileage from any pack depending on what they like. Your right about depth, however I don't think that will ever come in any pack. That will have to be a base game adjustment and I'm not sure they're prepared to do that with TS4.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Yes. I just posted about this in a different thread. I gave up on Sims 4 after Discover University. I was expecting this pack to provide the University experience I was used to in past packs. For some reason, it didn't in my opinion. It also did not improve on everything I missed from past versions of the game (especially Sims 2).
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Camkat I'm not talking about them being buggy, I'm talking about them being lazy and just not making sense. In what world does a window influence eco footprint more than a person's actions?
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

I'm having fun with this pack despite that though. I do think that selling features shouldn't be broken at launch, however, I've spent the money now and I'm enjoying what I can.

Eco Living adds a ton on paper but when you see it in action (through trailers and gameplay videos) it’s pretty obvious most of it’s recycled from other packs or from the base game.

Like the biggest selling point (the ever-changing world decor) was lifted directly from Island Living and given a slight facelift in a new world. That’s just the most obvious one
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    The game engine is already breaking...Sims 4 probably isn't going to last much longer. I think the weak game engine will finally break later this year,and the devs will be unable to fix it,no matter how hard they try. Hopefully,Sims 5 will be ready early next year.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Lady_Ballora Why do you think the engine is breaking and The Sims 5 would be coming early next year? There are no signs and no announcements about it.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The game engine is already breaking...Sims 4 probably isn't going to last much longer. I think the weak game engine will finally break later this year,and the devs will be unable to fix it,no matter how hard they try. Hopefully,Sims 5 will be ready early next year.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The game engine isn't breaking?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    @Simmerg @drake_mccarty You both do bring up good points. They are both very much truth.
    I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as it's bothering you but we are all entitled to our own feelings. I've disliked packs before and been fed up with bugs and lack of game play before as well. This time, it just isn't it for me. For me, this is a good pack.

The missing game play is a base game problem. It's kind of hard to expand on something that's built weak in the first place. They really need to update the base game, but as I've said before, I think we have what we have at this point. No amount of expansions, game packs or stuff will fix that.
  • Options
    As long as people keep buying don't expect improvements though. It is inevitable since the fanbase is changing and unfortunately they are designing the game for the casual players.
    It's unfortunate but it's a business.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Personally, the pack does exactly what I wanted it to do - add new world, some new curiosities, a new way to play early game and new stuff that talented modders will turn into something better, new or both. Otherwise it is still sims with everything that sims do. This overall boring gameplay is exactly the reason why I'm playing through Dark Souls right now. There is one thing that sims 4 have and no one can argue with - it is an EXCELLENT medium for creativity and making stories.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top