Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New gameplay effects feedback & missing properties (picture heavy)

HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
edited June 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
First of all, huge thumb up for Sims team for implementing these new features! I see huge potential in this. But here are some general thoughts on consistency of update. These are definitely not big bugs in comparison to many other game issues (and currently probably matters to OCD types like me), still I think this would be great to see these features streamlined in the future.

1) Naming pattern
After update we have two patterns of effect naming. Older one "Environment:x" and newer one "Minor Environment Gain:x". Which is confusing. Why using word "minor"? I've looked through all the objects and build stuff in game (I have all DLC) there are no objects with "major" gain. Unless "major" gain is implemented in ECO EP usage of "minor" term is excessive.

Also two patterns of effect naming are obviously confusing even for devs themselves. Like in some cases there are similar objects from the same category using different effect naming pattern after this update. Here's an example with bushes category, one using older naming pattern another new one:
36d7aad6953cd240bed67fe0ddc79d58b18b7646.jpg

2) Meaning
This one is specifically for new "water resistance" parameter. I think from how it's implemented now it's probably not "water resistance" but "water absorption"? Because all floors from Linoleum category has "low water resistance" and all floors from Carpets vice versa have "high water resistance". I have experienced flooding many times in my life and certainly carpets absorbs water better. But in terms of "resistance" linoleum definitely wins over carpeting. Or I'm just missing something in the word meaning being a foreigner... But to me this sounds strange.

3) Consistency
There's a huge assortment of build/buy objects which were obviously missed while adding new parameters (not due to my personal judgement, but from comparison to similar objects). All I've managed to find so far I'll report in the second part of this post below.
Post edited by Harukotyan on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Here will be a list of objects to which I assume new parameters were not implemented.

1) Big Aquariums - only one have water/power consumption rating, though obviously they are absolutely similar:
    8db2244baf96addc802c0de63ecbc64228627990.png

2) Ceiling Fans - IL one has power consumption, while BG one missing this parameter.
    6b872898984bd464562802ae05058b1507f3b335.png

There are few lights items missing power consumption parameter in all categories here are the ones I've found (once again I'm comparing with those to which it was added to justify my assumption).

3) Lighted lawn ornaments from "Misc lighting" category:
    46f3e7206097f9c15f273f0f09360fb4c62f565f.png

30f69f1d5833556aa0a0a4fa8c241223d83d259c.png

4)Street Light from GTG
    eb4e823a466df5fac34de96a62ace31b518c2f2d.png

Will continue in the next post.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    5) TS3 reward plumbob lamps. I only have two, but I assume they all are the same.
    03446e2ba0aec278415df7671745b01e8a4d592a.png

6) Floor lamps from GTG
    82829803b80f20f499174a31dc5b7459fbceee5a.png

7) Ceiling lamps
    Missed track lights
    ebd8de9f20250630cf87ea97eea08be2a40f1704.png

Not sure about these GTW lights. I assume objects used in GTW workplace builds do not have power consumption ratings for some reasons. Is this why these two lamps do not have it???
    e32684ab249bccce677841f89c6169e08bcd10c5.png

8) Wall lamps finally...
    Spot lights
    eeca5294d4f23a8f1fa411105255f1872fba212d.png

Wall Ornaments
    777a22abbd8a8706f53a8ffb04b143e85dceb48f.png

I'll continue in the next post
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    9) TVs. Some media stations are definitely made batter than others. At least I know which is the most amazing TV in game for now. :)
    89891f6d0fb4620023d938637bceb174d0df19a1.png

10) Wallpapers. I spot some horizontal vs vertical grudge here... These are basically the same walls but in different directions.
    ed3f4f76939f7d8d804228e5c2f39f9107456658.png
    59a408bcc57dd1d035e982b1f7a34ea481839b8a.png

That's all for now. I'll add more in case I'll find any. I'm pretty sure I've spotted some more in walls/floors yesterday, but can't remember for now.
  • Options
    Finally it's not something missing or the bug it's just wishful thinking for the future.

As some walls now have environment loss effect I think it'll be cool to implement the same logic to decorative buy items from different packs.

Currently they all have positive environment rating (or just none), no matter how "trashy" they are. It would be really cool to see all the stains and cracks and cobwebs contributing to environment loss in the future updates!
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Thanks for putting all this together! I completely agree with you and noticed some of the same things as I was playing last night.

I truly love the effort they've already put into this, so it's constructive criticism, but I do hope they will continue to update the catalogue.

Plus, I wonder if some things will actually get a negative eco/environment rating, or does the absence of a rating means it's automatically negative (especially for wall/floor coverings)? I sort of thought that would be the case, but maybe I missed it.
  • Options
    Totally agree. I'm super excited about this update! That's why I wish it was more polished to make it even greater justice.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    What I do know is that Environment stat means that if you have enough decorations in a room, sims will gain a happy moodlet there. But even I don't know what they mean by environment gain. Is this meant to boost getting green footprint in Eco Living? But at the same time, there are some objects that say that they contribute towards that (grass floor for example).
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    What I do know is that Environment stat means that if you have enough decorations in a room, sims will gain a happy moodlet there. But even I don't know what they mean by environment gain. Is this meant to boost getting green footprint in Eco Living? But at the same time, there are some objects that say that they contribute towards that (grass floor for example).

If this is it, I'm actually missing the old days' term "room score". It would make it easier to separate it from the green environment gain.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    A hot mess. Thanks for pointing it out
  • Options

I'm not yet sure about how this mechanic works currently myself. But this was in yesterday's Roburky note about his mod and the patch:
    One thing not mentioned in the patch notes I have discovered is that there was a small rework to how positive environment moodlets work. They aren't constant in an unmodded game now. The 'nicely decorated' moodlet now lasts two sim-hours, but gaining it also locks the sim out from gaining it again for 3-4 sim-hours. Which leaves a 1-2 sim-hour gap between the moodlets.

For now I assume that both "environment" and "environment gain" are absolutely the same thing just called differently. But I may be wrong.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Actually not that much I think. Considering how many objects they had to rework.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »

I'm not yet sure about how this mechanic works currently myself. But this was in yesterday's Roburky note about his mod and the patch:
    One thing not mentioned in the patch notes I have discovered is that there was a small rework to how positive environment moodlets work. They aren't constant in an unmodded game now. The 'nicely decorated' moodlet now lasts two sim-hours, but gaining it also locks the sim out from gaining it again for 3-4 sim-hours. Which leaves a 1-2 sim-hour gap between the moodlets.

For now I assume that both "environment" and "environment gain" are absolutely the same thing just called differently. But I may be wrong.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Actually not that much I think. Considering how many objects they had to rework.

I think this will be one of the things that unfortunately will not be corrected. I think we’ll have to add it to the long list of broken things in this game that is never fixed.
  • Options
    nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member
    I just started playing with Eco Lifestyle, and, confused by the new "Minor environment gain" I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks for compiling all of your findings. I hope the devs can look at these and fix the inconsistencies. I also like your suggestion about negative environment effects (a "Minor environment loss" maybe?). :)

So about the "Minor environment gain" (mEG, from now on): If each wall segment adds to the mEG score, then the value is probably a fractional value (i.e., an mEG of 1 = Environment score of 0.1, mEG 2 = E 0.2, etc.). So the existing "Environment" score is probably what's equivalent to a "Major environmental gain." If that's the case, then I'm not sure why they didn't just opt for showing it as "Environment: 0.1" instead of adding this new label. Or maybe they affect different things after all?
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP