Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are you doing?

Comments

• Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    Getting really, really hacked off at the amount of selfish (and incomprehensibly stupid) behaviour from people in my country.
    @SayNoToGnomes yes the mad panic buying is extremely annoying and as for people travelling down from from tier 4 areas to other parts of the country... Grrr!
    I live in a part of UK that's thankfully one if the safer areas, but very popular with tourists, and am still seeing the occasional posh camper van coming to the camp sites. It really does feel at times like there is one rule for the poor and different rules for the wealthy in this country.

What's also ticking me off at the moment (sorry, this is a long moan) are peoples' attitudes to jobs. We're struggling to find people to fill care shifts for my sister, and you'd think in times like these lots of people would really be grateful for any work. It is decent hours and very decent pay on offer and my parents are extremely kind and considerate managers. Yet they have had people phone up who have demanded to be given certain hours in certain areas (even though the area and hours were clearly outlined in the advert. Why do so many people not bother to read things?!)
    They've also had a person not bother to let them know that they won't be turning up to their interview and were left waiting around, having already booked a meeting room and given up their (very limited) free time. The person's excuse afterwards was that they decided they didn't want the job (and you couldn't give advance notice because...?)
    Now they've recently been lied to by a new person, who stated in interview that they were able to support my sister in a specific activity; it turned out that this wasn't the case and her other carer was having to do all the work.
    This sort of thing seems to keep happening to my family.

Excuse me but what the fluff has happened to common decency and consideration for others around you?! I would never dream of being so rude and inconsiderate to my potential employers, especially not when my actions could affect the wellbeing of a disabled client as well!

It makes me so angry to see my family dumped on so many times in their lives. They are good people. They are kind people, and they don't deserve to be constantly mucked about because of other people's selfishness.
    I still can't believe the new worker that lied at interview thought she could actually get away with it without being found out! Her response to being let go was to try and stir things up about one of our other carers, who has been with us for years. (Yes because we're really going to believe a newbie who didn't even turn up to her first shift over one of our most reliable workers who has never let us down).

I don't know why I'm feeling such a strong emotional response to this. My parents have already got over it and moved on but I'm still really angry.

Sorry, just needed to let off some steam.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Excuse me but what the fluff has happened to common decency and consideration for others around you?!
    Anxiety and depression.
    They can really kick a persons ability to pick up the phone, and let someone know they can't make it.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    @WhatCobblers I'm sorry that happened, for your family's sake. And it's okay to vent. Almost no one has enough in the way of real-life social support networks intact now, even if they did pre-covid. hugs.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Charla97Charla97 Posts: 66 Member
    > @PriestessBizarre said:
    > Well I'm glad they're hooking you up to a drip, it's the quickest way to treat dehydration, and you really don't want to mess with that. It could damage your kidneys if left unattended. Keep up the hydration, and I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Also, I'm sure you know to keep up the electrolytes, so just water alone isn't always enough. Depending what your doctors have recommended, you might want to get an electrolyte solution from your pharmacy. :) Listen to me lecturing. I'm not a doctor or nurse, either, I'm just a waffler. But I do work in the health industry and I do know how to look after kidneys, at least. But I'm also probably telling you everything you already know. No patronising intended! :)
    >
    > Take care.

Aw, thank you for that I really appreciate it. I feel a bit brighter and I'm working hard on staying hydrated, so fingers crossed I'm over the worst of it now. I'll be going to the pharmacy tomorrow, thanks I'll see if I can get the solution then. I don't drink a lot really but I've had enough drips of late and don't really want another especially as I keep fainting when they put it in, very embarrassing! Thank you for your kindness and for your support with this I really appreciate it.

@PriestessBizarre I understand your feelings regarding that, we have a similar problem here. People always letting dogs run loose. Last month one was killed by a car. So sad. I'd love a dog but can't afford it but the people who can here just let them run loose and don't really take care of them properly.
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    Excuse me but what the fluff has happened to common decency and consideration for others around you?!
    Anxiety and depression.
    They can really kick a persons ability to pick up the phone, and let someone know they can't make it.

That would be literally the ONLY reason I would find acceptable. I suffer pretty intense anxiety, and I get it. Unfortunately I think a lot of people are just inconsiderate and careless.

@PriestessBizarre and @Nushnushganay thank you for your comments, that's really kind of you both.

@Movotti I understand how that can affect people but unfortunately some employers, like my parents, cannot cater for staff who have difficulty turning up to work because they simply do not have enough staff to cover for frequent absences. Families/ parents who employ carers, are often completely reliant on their care staff in order to have any respite.
    In my parents' case most of their free time is taken up with all the admin for my sister and her care team as well as looking after two lots of households, (theirs and my sister's). If an employee doesn't turn up, and my parents have to cover, they have to completely rearrange all their plans. There is a limit to how much a person can put up with doing this before it starts to affect their mental and physical health. I'm usually the only one who can cover shifts at the last minute, but it is stressful to keep doing this when there are lots staff absences occuring as I can't plan anything!

My sister has vulnerable mental health herself, and one of the main triggers of her anxiety is change. She does not understand why her staff rota changes at the last minute (a lot of people in care with her particular disabilities have major anxiety over this factor because there is such a huge staff turnaround in the care sector).
    It is extremely unfair to put her through additional anxiety over last minute changes in staff, just because one of her carers is having a difficult day.
    She also picks up on other people's emotions very strongly at times and if someone is feeling anxious or depressed about something, this can cause her to feel anxious too. Therefore unfortunately we have to have carers who can fully manage their mental health conditions if they have them.
  • Options
    @PriestessBizarre well I hope you'll try on that fateful dress and tell us the results, when you get to it.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    As of midnight my area will be in Tier 4. No New Year's Eve party for us.
  • Options
    MomobreadMomobread Posts: 43 Member
    Locked in at home. I was supposed to look for a job this year (I just graduated) but Covid came and considering that I have a weak constitution, my parents didn't allow me to find a job, or even go outside, for that matter. I have become one with my bed unless I go sit and play TS4. Nonetheless, my lifestyle's pretty much sedentary and I'm aware that this isn't healthy for me. I exercise from time to time when I'm in a funk, but that's all the activity I get.
    29f133cf659275dfe489edf6400a35dae18fd460_hq.gif
  • Options
    Waiting for hubs to get back with dramamine, because I got severely motion sick suddenly, playing billiards in the Rec Room on Oculus Quest. It was really fun til suddenly, it wasn't. Anything we do for New Year will be at home, amongst ourselves. But that's usual for us, because we don't consider icy/snowy roads plus a lot of drunk people out on them, a temptation.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I don't know why I'm feeling such a strong emotional response to this. My parents have already got over it and moved on but I'm still really angry.

You have the right to be furious. I would be extremely angry too if somebody had dared to do this to me and my family. Even as I'm reading your rant, I felt rage bubble up and I don't even know you. It's not fair of them to get you and your family's hopes up like that.

I hope you feel better soon, though, and finally have someone well-adjusted and responsible applying to care for your sister. Have a Happy New Year!

• Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    Not too good on a social level. Lost people I thought I could trust when they started doxxing friends. And I partially think I might get unwillingly involved. Otherwise, nervous about 2021 coming up
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Momobread wrote: »

You have the right to be furious. I would be extremely angry too if somebody had dared to do this to me and my family. Even as I'm reading your rant, I felt rage bubble up and I don't even know you. It's not fair of them to get you and your family's hopes up like that.

I hope you feel better soon, though, and finally have someone well-adjusted and responsible applying to care for your sister. Have a Happy New Year!

Thank you. 🙂

Sorry to hear you are stuck in lockdown at the moment. Hope you are not too bored!

Regarding jobs, have you tried looking for jobs that allow working from home? Some jobs, such as admin, design and copywriting can be permanently home based and flexible hours.

The other consideration might be freelance work. There are various websites that advertise freelance roles and projects. They are often not permanent I'm afraid but would at least provide a bit of work experience and be something to keep you occupied.

Hope things improve for you soon and that you keep safe and well.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
    My god, so I shouldn't have done this because I really can't afford it, but this morning when I went into the shops, a dress on a rack outside a store caught my eye. I dug into my bills account and took money out of there with which to buy it (NAUGHTY!). It was $110 AUD, so not exactly cheap.

Anyway, then I continued on to the supermarket to grab the things I had gone there for in the first place. And I returned home, and I ate some takeway, and I fiddled around on the internet for a while, and put some laundry on etc etc. And finally I thought "hmm, I should perhaps try that dress on and see what it's like" (yeah, I didn't even try it before I bought it!). And that's when I stopped, rigid with panic, and realised..... omg, where IS the dress? I had brought home my shopping bag from the supermarket. But the bag with the dress in it was nowhere to be seen, not even in the car. $110 EFFFFING DOLLARS, RIGHT?

So I rang the supermarket, thinking I might have left it at the registers. When someone FINALLY answered, my phone cut out! It does that sometimes. So I've dived into the car and drove a little too fast back to the shops. I tried the supermarket first, asking at the front service counter if anyone had handed in a shopping bag, but the girl there didn't know anything about it.

And then I see another staff member coming out from the self-serve registers section (which I had used earlier), and she had the bag in her hand. She was about to return it to the shop it had come from, since nobody had turned up to claim it at the supermarket. And I could have just about hugged her!

Sheez, what a relief.

I still haven't tried it on.

That was lucky!
    Good job someone who liked the dress hadn't found it and kept it.
    It's good to know there are still some honest people out there.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Momobread wrote: »

Thank you. 🙂

Sorry to hear you are stuck in lockdown at the moment. Hope you are not too bored!

Regarding jobs, have you tried looking for jobs that allow working from home? Some jobs, such as admin, design and copywriting can be permanently home based and flexible hours.

The other consideration might be freelance work. There are various websites that advertise freelance roles and projects. They are often not permanent I'm afraid but would at least provide a bit of work experience and be something to keep you occupied.

Hope things improve for you soon and that you keep safe and well.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have a rather limited skillset. I do some freelance work, but that hadn't been working so well so far (very little client). Even though I said I'm a graduate, no one would still consider me a professional because I have to be an apprentice first before I try for the Board Certification, and considering my degree (Architecture), it's quite affected by Covid since most people have to prioritize their living expenses (due to cost cutting and mostly, losing job) and their spare to their medical, just in case.

I do have work lined up next year (that I'm guaranteed to have, thankfully) and I'm hoping that vaccines would come around fast in my city next year. Thank you for the advice, tho! You and your family keep safe as well. 😁

• Options
    @Momobread - I feel your pain. Many others here already know this, so I feel like I'm being repetitive, but for your benefit I'll mention it again - I'm immunosuppressed (organ transplant) so I understand the need to take greater care than a healthier person at times like this. Your parents must be really worried about you. I've cancelled my own plans over the holiday period for the same reason. Also, I lost my job with the pandemic and haven't worked since (although it's possible I may be getting back to work in January, there's a job I've been contacted about that I have a good chance of getting).

@Sorak4 - They sound like good people to distance yourself from. I hope they don't drag you into it, and I'm sorry you've had to experience this. Doxxing is nasty business.

I hope things work out well for you! I can only wish you luck both in your health, as well as in work.

Finally someone who understands! It's a really difficult time for us with broken immune systems since we're one of those who can get easily infected. My parents are so strict when allowing me outside; I don't even think they consider me an adult! I do understand them well though, and alongside with their own fear, I'm also afraid for myself. I wouldn't want to get infected just because I feel a little bit cooped up in my home. I'd be risking myself and my family, after all.
  • Options
    Cosy_CatastopheCosy_Catastophe Posts: 77 Member
    About to enjoy a tier 3 new year, featuring pizza, pyjamas and Jurassic park.

I’ve read this thread and my heart goes out to all of you - this is such a weird time and I know I’ve become more insular as my situation allows me to work from home and though I have my boyfriend and cats at home I have definitely become less social and started to hate other people. Especially When I go out and see their noses hanging over their masks.

Wishing you all the best for the coming year, whatever it may bring x
  • Options
    @Cosy_Catastophe I wondered why people's inconsiderate behaviour was getting to me more than usual this year and now that you mention it, am thinking the reason could well have been because I was spending less time around others (at least those who weren't my family social bubble or work colleagues).

Hopefully next year will bring some more hope and good news.

Happy New Year everyone! 🙂
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Heading into a new year without any online friends. Gonna have to take care of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top