Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you build a garage or an attic ?

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes, only an attic
    @Goldmoldar

And the bikes ? Where are they in the house ?
    The garage is also a good place for crafting or scientist/engineer activities.

When the rock band feature will be back, it can become a band rehearsal space.

A garage doesn't need a car and a car doesn't need a garage (parked outside)

Hmmm you said an car does not need an garage and while that may be true there still not an car to be found. What was the topic for this thread and I gave my opinion. I build an garage for cars and that is my choice and there are no cars to found as the game does not give me that choice does it? You state what you can do with it but that is your choice and bikes can be placed on an bike rack right. Oh wait is an bike rack even available in Sims 4?
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Yes, both
    Yes to both. All my old houses, from previous games, have them and would look ridiculous without them. We need garage doors at least.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes, both
    Sometimes. It’s easier to make garages though because we can’t use the space under the roof as a proper attic, if we make one it doesn’t look very realistic and you can’t see much in live mode. But it will be a bit easier when we have ladders. I wish we could use the space under the roof like in TS3.
    Also for garages I wish we had real garage doors and.....cars of course !!!
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited May 2020
    No but there is a storage room
    Definitely a storage room. Especially for photos and paintings to sort through. Also items I want to place eventually but not have in the 'abstract' inventory. I can see what's there. Usually a basement, sometimes an attic. More often then not, cut off from where my Sims can go. No access with stairs or doors. Or if I have those, lock the door to everyone.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I don't always build an attic, but when I do it's mainly for like, a bedroom.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I don’t have a garage or an attic in real life, so my Sims don’t usually get them either.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yes, both
    Not in every build but not for storage. I use household inventory for storage if needed. It depends what kind of house I am building and where it's being built. It does not make sense to me to put a garage on an island with no roads. The garage is for looks related to my build and usually contain the stairs to basement, maybe a fake car and the woodworking bench. The garage is where I send kids to play the violin so the parents don't get frayed nerves. The attic is done to create certain roof types and is usually converted to some sort of living space if there is room for stairs. If not it's just dead space. I don't like a lot of clutter in my builds so not sure what others do with seasonal items. I either sell them or toss them in the household inventory. I real life I do not have a garage, attic or storage room. If I don't use something in 6 months it's tossed, sold or given away. My Sims are the same when it comes to clutter because it's my game. I also refuse to pools in the front yard. I don't have a pool in real life but my Sims usually do because money comes easy in this game unlike in real life.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    Keye family home (Parenthood GP family) has 2 small attics than now with ladder will be avvesible
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    Yes, both
    All depends on the build style
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    No, nothing is stored.

MOST OF my builds are simple single-wide mobile homes on 20x30 lots. No attic space for storage and not much space to do a garage. Most of the time, the space is used for the children and their play stuff.

While I have done houses, they don't have attics. It's just something that I've never really thought about trying or doing before. I don't do garages, since we don't have drivable cars. However, I do make driveways to park in.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    To be honest, the only real place I've built an "attic" instead of a basement is in Sulani on a waterfront lot, for extra stuff. Since you can't build a basement.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    I don’t actually build attics but before we got those CYA bins with Uni I’d stick all the extra upgrade parts up under the roof and anything else that was cluttering up my sim’s inventory. I LOVE those new bins. They make storing collectibles until you find (or afford) a place to display them so much easier.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I never even thought to build an attached garage as they aren't the norm where I live (houses 100+ years old) and there aren't cars in the sims4... but I do build basements (which are the norm here) and like to make bonus rooms in the attic, under the roof, so I don't do really complex roofs because then you can't use that space if there's not room for a Sim to stand up and move around. Attics and basements are great, but oddly, I never thought about using them to store a bunch of seasonal junk to have to lug out and put away with every holiday. I don't even like that in real life.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited May 2020
    sometimes i do sometimes I don't

I also sometimes leave random empty "closet rooms" so i can put movable objects in

I am hoping ladders will fix my attic access problems though and I can make cuter attics since even though I love to build them there is always the stairs look dumb problem

(I also wish they would let us change the ceiling so it looks more atticy or even just dark)

garages I don't do very often though since lot of the lots I like are cut off from roads and it looks silly but I've done couple

actually i think where i live we are not even allowed to build attached garages so that is probably why i often make it separate from house if i do
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited May 2020
    No, but now with ladders being added to the game, I'll build some attics for sure :smiley:
    Post edited by caliposs on
    he/him
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Yes, both
    Sometimes I build these and I like to build basements too.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes, only an attic
    I don't build often, but my main household have attic rooms, as well as cupboards and a cellar for storage. I sometimes have garages too for storage/laundry etc., but not as often. Hopefully cars will return and I will have more reason for them.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I really need an 'other' choice since I don't have a 'storage room' but I do store things on my Sims lots. Usually I'll use the storage chests and put them in a bedroom, study or living room as added decor or I'll use the new storage chests that came with DU and do the same thing. I love how with those, our Sims can put stuff on top, like a TV, stereo etc. Double duty! ;)

Anything that I want to keep, but not display or won't fit in chests goes in their household inventory or stays in their personal inventory for quick access. I've never made an attic in TS4 that I can recall, or a garage unless it was required for a build challenge. I've also built a few closets and pantries in challenges. However, I do build basements. Not for storage though, for use as a home gym, an extra bedroom, or a lab for my Scientist Sims.

For the seasonal decorations box, if I don't store it in their household inventory, it gets shoved in a corner somewhere, usually the master bedroom or study. Once I used MOO to put it in the slot behind glass doors in one of the side bookshelves that came with TL.

In the case of my Collector Sim who had all the collections, I stored them on a Generic lot so the bills wouldn't be sky high from having all that extra stuff. For my painter Sims paintings I don't want to display but want to keep, I'll build them a private art gallery next door to display them until they're sold for future home lot renovations or to pay bills. Again, to help cut down on sky high bills. Sometimes I'll change the lot designation from generic to retail and sell them that way instead.

With the addition of ladders in the future Eco Lifestyle patch, I anticipate building not only lofts for my Sims homes, but perhaps attics for storage as well. It's fun to think about at least and makes me happy it'll be an option now without taking up a lot of living space with staircases! :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    No, nothing is stored
    My unused stuff usually goes into the household inventory in build mode... but now that you mention it I don't know why I never thought of this idea! I guess because, as Rouenpucelle or AnnLee87, I don't have them in real life so I didn't think of creating one for my Sims.
    This was inspiring though, I want a storage room or an attic for my Sims now!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I don't bother with a garage anymore, which is sad. I don't build attics. It should also be noted I don't build basement, either. I normally do have a laundry room and sometimes that's where the decorations/tote is stored.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Posts: 12 New Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I think I'll start doing attics as soon as we get the ladders. Right now, I'll often think "Hey, an attic for ____ would be cool, and it would be easy to raise this roof section and put it here..." except, the stairs needed to access it completely disrupt the floor beneath.
    Once in a while I'll do a garage, but that's to put a car in. Yes, I mean a fake decorative car.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I have never thought of that! The attic idea will go great with the ladders.
  • Options
    Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I've never lived in a house with an attic so it didn't even occur to me. :|
    y7Kh4Ip.png
    Follow me on (S)imstagram @SimmerLorna
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    Actually, never thought about storing stuff even though I tend to lean towards realistic play, save vampires and mermaids. I usually throw it in the family or personal inventory. Although I don't build attics or outbuildings, I do build basements nearly all the time for more space to add play areas to my homes. Thanks for the thought though; I may try this in the future instead of the family inventory to add more realism.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I play big families (6-7 sims) and I have one or two of the kids sleep in it.