Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lowering Roofs and Taller Chimneys

As I have more time with the lockdown in UK, trying my building skills, but not much skill. Tried to build a garage with a half tall wall but I have no idea how to meet the roof to the top edge of wall, there is a big gap? The chimney's are a problem as well, there not tall enough and only go half way up the wall, how do you make them taller? Advice please. And I have to say this, STAY SAFE!
Long blond haired slim androgynous looking bi boy from London UK.

Comments

• Options
    TakissisTakissis Posts: 521 Member
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but I'd be happy to help. Roofs will only attach to a full sized wall, so if I am understanding you correctly, the half wall will not meet the roof no matter what you do. Kim Emerald did a video on an easy garage door to make. You can watch it here. Also, you can google Sims 4 noCC garage, and a lot of images will come up that might give you some ideas.

As far as the chimneys, if you are using the models in game, you can make things bigger or smaller by using brackets "[" and "]" after turning on move objects. If you don't know how to use the cheat codes, again, Google is your friend. Just do a search on "Sims 4 cheat codes" or "Sims 4 move objects code." You should easily find step by step instructions on how to do it. (Honestly, I wouldn't mind just telling you, but I'm not sure off the top of my head if I'd be violating the forums rules.

This might not help you, as it makes the whole thing bigger or smaller, not just in height. I normally just build my chimneys. To do this, just build full sized walls in a square or small rectangle, however large you want it to be on every floor to the roof. On that level, I might use half walls with a trim, depending on how tall I want it, or such. You'll have to play with it a bit to see what you like.
  • Options
    PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2020
    You can try my method if you like. For my chimneys I use a combination of walls, trim and roof, and top it with a chimney that matches. It gives a tapered in look. edit: Didn't find the picture I was thinking of. This is one without chimney topper :blush: but can be made with chimney too
    Like this:
    0TC6A5f.png
  • Options
    Eurostar1127Eurostar1127 Posts: 84 Member
    Somehow I managed to lower the roof on a half wall for a garage. This morning I tried the same thing with another lot, but I just can not work out how to do it again? So annoying! If I knew how to put a screenshot on here I would show you the garage. I find the editing function in the building mode so limited and annoying. The Sims 4 game is great, but in my view the building mode is absolute rubbish! And that is a shame, because like the game it could be enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I have gone to another lot to try and build another garage. This is a seperate garage not joined to the house, and some distance away. Again built half tall wall block, then clicked on block, top of dialog box, default is medium wall, then select short wall to bring roof level down, then click on each side, select full wall to fill in small gap. That works fine, and I have a garage that is the right height. BUT, when you click on short wall on the garage it alters the wall height of the house, even though the garage is well seperated from the house! What sort of s*** building editor is this? I am going to give up on this stupid build mode! Sorry, getting frustrated by the Coronavirus lockdown not able to see friends or relations, when will it end?
  • Options
    Yes, it can be frustrating trying to do certain things in Sims 4, but I don't know a workaround for it. I'm not quite sure how you want the build, but perhaps if the garage is the most important part, raise the roof of the house to give an illusion of it being taller?
  • Options
    You can use sites like Imgur to upload pictures and find links to share on forums etc.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    The height of the walls is the same for all the buildings of the lot. So if your main house uses short walls on first floor, you garage will also use short (or regular, really) walls on first floor. If you add medium or tall walls on the second floor, then the garage will also use tall or medium walls on it's second floor. If you change the walls on the garage to the regular sized walls, then the house will also use the regular sized walls. For the roof, after you place it, you need to stretch it to cover the whole area of the room, you need to use the little pointer arrows. You can alter the height, width, length and curvature of the roof and also the size of the eaves.
  • Options
    I do understand what you are all saying, and thanks for replies. My last attempt failed, but my first attempt worked. Somehow, I fiddled arround and I got the garage roof to fit on the shortened walls, and it did NOT affect the house in any way. So you can achieve two different wall levels in a lot. But I can not remember how I done it, and can't seem to repeat it. Before this, I downloaded a house with a seperate garage and this had different wall levels. So it can be done. But how, is a mystery, that I have lost from my first success. I will try Imgur and see if I can upload a screenshot.
  • Options
    Ok the closest thing I managed to get to a two height house with garage is this. Using foundation and a lil bit magic. Sorry, morning brain here, there is probably other ways too do this, but this is my version :blush:

4Y1wpmm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    https://imgur.com/gallery/LEMpYmtHere is a screenshot. The house on the right is where I built the garage. No idea how to show the image on this page, but the link is below.

https://imgur.com/qdGh9Pk

Post edited by Eurostar1127 on
  • Options
    You can use sites like Imgur to upload pictures and find links to share on forums etc.

I now have an account with Imgur, but I have no idea how to show the image, only the link?
  • Options
    To post a link on the site, there are two ways. You can click the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a little picture and paste in the url link for the image. Or you can type the bbcode. [ img]url[ /img] (without the spaces after the first bracket.

To post a direct link somewhere, use the icon that looks like a chain link. Hightlight the text you want to be a link. Click on the icon and put in your link. Click okay. To type in the bbcode you'll use url instead of img except it will be [ url="your link here"] Text here [ /url] again no spaces
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the linking rules, but Kate Emerald has a tutorial on youtube on roofs on half walls. It's a bit more advanced than my build, but she explains very well :smiley:
  • Options
    Here is a screenshot. The house on the right is where I built the garage. No idea how to show the image on this page, but the link is below.

Looks like you used foundation under the house, and kept the garage detached so it doesn't rise up with the house. Its doable when the walls doesn't meet.
  • Options
    Takissis wrote: »
    To post a link on the site, there are two ways. You can click the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a little picture and paste in the url link for the image. Or you can type the bbcode. [ img]url[ /img] (without the spaces after the first bracket.

To post a direct link somewhere, use the icon that looks like a chain link. Hightlight the text you want to be a link. Click on the icon and put in your link. Click okay. To type in the bbcode you'll use url instead of img except it will be [ url="your link here"] Text here [ /url] again no spaces

Thanks. I tried both the link icon and the picture icon, non of which shows the screenshot only the link. Best if I give up on this idea.
  • Options
    In Imgur if you hover the picture there is a down arrow in the top right corner-there's for options, you need 'Get share links' and BBCode (Forums) . Will look like [img]h ttp s://i.imgur.com/4Y1wpmm.png[/img] (without the spaces) in https
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2020
    Um. @Takissis ... you don't need MoveObjects to use the "[" and "]" grow/shrink function. I'm not sure it's actually considered a cheat.

@Eurostar1127 From what I can see in the picture, what's happening is that the wall heights are the same, but the foundation heights are different. Without cheats, this is only possible if the garage is completely separate from the house and therefore treated as a completely separate building.

If you really want different wall heights (ie, different distance from floor to ceiling, not just "one on a higher foundation than the other") then one thing you can do is this: Build your house as normal. Build a box separate from the house, where the garage would be. (NOTE: no part of the garage or the box may touch the house!) Build your garage on top of the box, so it's actually the second storey of this building. Delete the box. Now lower the garage down to ground level. The downside is that because your garage is considered a "second storey", sims can't actually just walk in from the ground level. But if the garage is just for show rather than gameplay use, maybe that's not an issue.
  • Options
    @Xinqun I didn't know they can't walk from the ground to "second story". Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Oh! Another idea. You can build the garage with tall half-walls, then put a hipped roof over it, one square smaller on all sides. Then extend the eaves of the roof so that it covers the garage. You'd have to remove the ceiling if there is one, so that it doesn't cut through the roof. Then adjust the slope of the roof so that the edge of the eaves touches down on the top of the half-wall.
  • Options
    @PitlordMaggie I'm testing this as we speak. It looks like there is a way to get sims to walk in, after all: you'd have to build a kind of porch attached to the "second storey on the ground" garage with a stair down to the ground. If you've placed it right, the stair will have just one step and sims will be able to climb it to get to the garage level.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Or have the garage with normal walls, but make the house taller by making the house 2 floors, normal and half wall. have a 2 floor box with roof on it next to it. Delete the first floor and lower it and stretch the roof, until it touches the half wall. Like in the video I mentioned. But that's more advanced than just playing with the foundation.

There's many ways to pet a cat :wink:
  • Options
    @Xinqun Thank you! I have a test build I'm trying to see if I can find alternative ways to make the same effect aka re-inventing the wheel. I came here to help, but I find I'm learning lots too!
  • Options
  • Options
    @PitlordMaggie Ah, I guess that video explains that second idea I had, and I kind of jumped the gun there. My bad! But yeah, you can get all sorts of cool things with that half wall + extended eaves trick.
  • Options
    Xinqun wrote: »
    Um. @Takissis ... you don't need MoveObjects to use the "[" and "]" grow/shrink function. I'm not sure it's actually considered a cheat.

Thanks. Thought it was.