Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Im sick of the ads

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2020
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    There are ads?
    They’re EVERYWHERE for me. Even in places where I’ve never sought out Sims content before. Don’t watch sims vids on YouTube, haven’t for a while now, but those new ads play before ever video no matter the category! Gaming videos? Understandable. Beauty videos? Commentary channels? News? Documentaries? It’s ridiculous. Sometimes they play back to back or even multiple times in the same video. They are definitely going overboard this time.

I have been using adblockers since they were invented. I seriously can't understand people NOT using them. That's why I am surprised. People complaining about ads on youtube? It's their own fault for not stopping them.
    Also, before anyone says anything: It is not more morally wrong to use an adblocker than it is to go to the bathroom at commercial breaks.

Adblock doesn't work on YouTube mobile app.

You can still access YouTube through a browser app that has an ad blocker. That's what I use on my mobile devices instead of YouTube's own app.

The ads on YouTube have gotten so ridiculous! I was watching Ravel's Bolero which runs almost 16 minutes. It is a beautiful piece, emotionally provocative! But it gets ruined! Because halfway through it when it starts to increase in volume and fervor where more instruments are playing - a stupid, unskippable ad interrupts it! Like WHAT THE HECK! Stupid ad just threw me out of the zone!

I'll NEVER use YouTube's app ever again!

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    There are ads?

I don't waste money on adblock software. Also don't waste money to pay to get rid of ads for streaming services.

We pay more for Hulu to get ad free, but we've never paid for adblockers online. Our browsers have various options for blocking built in, on my computer and phone. Surely that's not just an Apple thing?

If I remember correctly Apple store / Safari is iffy with adblockers for some reason. Even Google Apps allow you to install extensions in Chrome that blocks Google from itself (I still prefer Firefox for both features AND philosophical reasons, but I use Chrome at work).

I rarely use Safari, I mostly use Chrome. But both work fine as far as I can tell.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont really see that many ads. I see a few on IG or Youtube not not as much as messenger app ads. I loathe those
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I saw a sidebar add while playing a silly hidden object game on Facebook today. My reaction was "Hey! Good to see them promoting! I love that game!"

I used to resent heavy Sims 4 promotion when I was still happily absorbed in my deep, deep (and heavily modded, and rather expensive in terms of packs and Store content) TS3 play.

But mostly, I like the game, I like the studio, and I want it to do well so we can keep seeing new stuff. Marketing is a small price to pay.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I've just today starting noticing ads since reading this thread. They've probably always been there but I wasn't really focusing on them. Now I'm actually aware of them. I'm sure EA is simply trying to reach out to all those people stuck at home because of the virus. I've seen a few articles indicating more people are turning to video games during the quarantine.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited April 2020
    I don't think I've seen a single ad. But it might be regional, and I'm not in USA.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I am with @Beardedgeek on this one. If you don't like ads, get an adblocker (you DON'T have to pay for them, literally every browser has a free adblock add-on you can just download in a matter of seconds). It really doesn't matter on youtube, most youtubers already gave up on earning money from youtube alone because of the whole demonitization problem that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 up so many channels. That's why most big youtubers nowadays have Patreon to get proper financial support (it also doesn't matter for smaller youtubers, adblock or not, they couldn't live from youtube revenue alone either way).
    Also, I really don't see a problem with them promoting their game. That's capitalism for ya. If anything, it just shows that they plan TS4 to go much longer than past games (I swear, all those TS5 threads are getting annoying).
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I am with @Beardedgeek on this one. If you don't like ads, get an adblocker (you DON'T have to pay for them, literally every browser has a free adblock add-on you can just download in a matter of seconds). It really doesn't matter on youtube, most youtubers already gave up on earning money from youtube alone because of the whole demonitization problem that 🌺🌺🌺🌺 up so many channels. That's why most big youtubers nowadays have Patreon to get proper financial support (it also doesn't matter for smaller youtubers, adblock or not, they couldn't live from youtube revenue alone either way).
    Also, I really don't see a problem with them promoting their game. That's capitalism for ya. If anything, it just shows that they plan TS4 to go much longer than past games (I swear, all those TS5 threads are getting annoying).

Not on YouTube app.
  • Options
    I am with @Beardedgeek on this one. If you don't like ads, get an adblocker (you DON'T have to pay for them, literally every browser has a free adblock add-on you can just download in a matter of seconds). It really doesn't matter on youtube, most youtubers already gave up on earning money from youtube alone because of the whole demonitization problem that 🌺🌺🌺🌺 up so many channels. That's why most big youtubers nowadays have Patreon to get proper financial support (it also doesn't matter for smaller youtubers, adblock or not, they couldn't live from youtube revenue alone either way).

Not on YouTube app.

You can get an adblock browser for your phone which automatically blocks ads on every site you go to while using it, including youtube

I like to build stuff
  • Options

Not on YouTube app.

You can get an adblock browser for your phone which automatically blocks ads on every site you go to while using it, including youtube

No, I can't my browser won't go YouTube.It goes to the app automatically.The app I can't remove because its pre installed.
  • Options

Not on YouTube app.

No, I can't my browser won't go YouTube.It goes to the app automatically.The app I can't remove because its pre installed.

That's weird. I once had the app preinstalled as well and was able to uninstall it without any problems. This was on an android phone, if it makes any difference, since I've no idea how it works on iphones.

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited April 2020

Not on YouTube app.

That's weird. I once had the app preinstalled as well and was able to uninstall it without any problems. This was on an android phone, if it makes any difference, since I've no idea how it works on iphones.

Some people dislike the more complex way of use via the browser. That is why many use the app as it is direct. Personally, I ignore all ads. Since we have 5 different people using the same account, the algorithm is too confused as to who they are really advertising toward. It gives very forgettable generic ads that way.
  • Options
    MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    There are ads?
    They’re EVERYWHERE for me. Even in places where I’ve never sought out Sims content before. Don’t watch sims vids on YouTube, haven’t for a while now, but those new ads play before ever video no matter the category! Gaming videos? Understandable. Beauty videos? Commentary channels? News? Documentaries? It’s ridiculous. Sometimes they play back to back or even multiple times in the same video. They are definitely going overboard this time.

I have been using adblockers since they were invented. I seriously can't understand people NOT using them. That's why I am surprised. People complaining about ads on youtube? It's their own fault for not stopping them.
    Also, before anyone says anything: It is not more morally wrong to use an adblocker than it is to go to the bathroom at commercial breaks.

Adblock doesn't work on YouTube mobile app.

Depending on your browser, try Enhancer for YouTube. It kinda lets ads do their thing without annoying the dickens out of you. I have it on my Firefox and my Opera.
  • Options
    MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member

Not on YouTube app.

If it's android, I think you should be able to get around that now but the main issue is how current the phone is. I'm currently using an s8 but on my s5, I was able to disable the default settings and I was able to cancel the choices prompting me to go through an app as opposed to my phone's browser.

I apologize if I made absolutely no sense.
  • Options

Not on YouTube app.

If it's android, I think you should be able to get around that now but the main issue is how current the phone is. I'm currently using an s8 but on my s5, I was able to disable the default settings and I was able to cancel the choices prompting me to go through an app as opposed to my phone's browser.

I apologize if I made absolutely no sense.

I'm using an s6 and also always had the choice to use the browser or the app, no automatic redirecting there. I eventually uninstalled the app anyway because I never used it and wanted to make some space for new things.

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,927 Member
    Unpopular opinion, I know, but first of all, I have never yet saw an ad about Sims4 at youtube , and I do watch certain youtubers.
    Second, I would much more like to see the add to be about Sims4 than some "Watch this and this movie now, order this and this channel.. free trial!" <-- that is what I get at youtube adds.

Once again might be because I am not from USA.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    EkmidenisiEkmidenisi Posts: 176 Member
    I very rarely see ads, when I do it's when there is a massive sale on. I have had TS4 since it was released and have never seen an ad online unless there was a sale
  • Options

Not on YouTube app.

The closet thing in my case is put the phone to sleep.You have reroute I to get rid of pre install adds
  • Options
    MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    There are ads?

I don't waste money on adblock software. Also don't waste money to pay to get rid of ads for streaming services.

Uh what? Who pays for an adblocker, just get a browser extension...
    logion wrote: »
    There are ads?

Adblockers stop content creators from getting any ad revenue though.

"Disable Adblock on Youtube". No. Youtube is Google. I make 🌺🌺🌺🌺 sure to block any and everything Google uses to track me.

As I said, it's not more morally wrong to block ads than to go to the bathroom during a commercial break.
    Also, it's 2020. Get a Patreon if you intend to live on making digital content. Not only because more than half the viewers will have, and refuse to turn off, adblockers, but also because the Youtube algorithms WILL suddenly plum you over, for no good reason.

A lot of smaller websites and businesses are not in a position where they can make a Patreon because they're a brand rather than an individual, and therefore rely on advertising. I disable ads on independently owned websites to support the business, though I do otherwise use an adblocker.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    There are ads?

Uh what? Who pays for an adblocker, just get a browser extension...
    logion wrote: »
    There are ads?

Adblockers stop content creators from getting any ad revenue though.

"Disable Adblock on Youtube". No. Youtube is Google. I make 🌺🌺🌺🌺 sure to block any and everything Google uses to track me.

As I said, it's not more morally wrong to block ads than to go to the bathroom during a commercial break.
    Also, it's 2020. Get a Patreon if you intend to live on making digital content. Not only because more than half the viewers will have, and refuse to turn off, adblockers, but also because the Youtube algorithms WILL suddenly plum you over, for no good reason.

A lot of smaller websites and businesses are not in a position where they can make a Patreon because they're a brand rather than an individual, and therefore rely on advertising. I disable ads on independently owned websites to support the business, though I do otherwise use an adblocker.

I don't but not only because ads are annoying, but also, primarely, that even on that independent small busines the ads will be tied to one of the big trackers. Which means that it don't work anyway, since I won't turn off my tracker protection (and thus the ad server don't care if I turn off the actual adblocker because it can't track me, so it claims I still have adblocker on).
    A typical example is TV Tropes. I get an annoying bar filling 10% of the screen at the bottom urging me to turn off my adblocker every time I go there. The thing is I HAVE turned off my adblocker. But since Google can't actually track me, Google tells the TV Tropes server that "He still has the adblocker on!". I have even filed a bug report to their site mentioning that I am more than happy to turn off my adblocker for their one or two banners, if they just removed the tracking.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

For everyone who is saying they don't see ads, now you can see them every time you open the game! A popup will open up every time you open the Sims 4 suggesting you buy DLC you don't already own, even with a timer at the bottom of the window. These are not sales.

Enjoy the greed!