Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Dropping in to say hello. Hope everyone is doing okay, missing you guys. Have a good one. :)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @katrinasforest Is it okay if we take my week off? I've caught a stomach bug and haven't been feeling the greatest. My brain has been kind of mush for the last couple of days.

@NyteRose Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well. :)
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @lone_cat I''m sorry--I would have sworn I replied to this right away.

Anyway, yes, of course it's okay. We'll move your week to next week. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Hey everyone. @katrinasforest and @lone_cat, thanks so much for your answers! They were so insightful and fun to read. Also, hi to @NyteRose! Hope you're doing alright.

@lone_cat You're absolutely on the right track in your answers, haha! :blush: Can already attest that some of what you said will be happening...
    Also, I hope you feel better soon regarding your stomach bug! Man, that stuff is the absolute worst and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. Promise I'll be there next week for your story. <3

@katrinasforest I'm so glad you like Mateo and think he's an interesting character! And your answers were so insightful and interesting to read, thank you so much!
    I did see the leaked icon!! And I'm so excited about it. Definitely looks something space-related to me too, and since SimGuruNinja went ahead and did the whole teasing with future cubes again on his Twitter, mentioning space in them, I'm like 90% sure it will be and hope they'll come with an announcement soon! The one thing that's set me off a little is people suggesting the icon looks a lot like some Starwars world and suggesting the new pack be Starwars-themed, in which case I'd be so hugely disappointed and not get the pack, hehe. Me and Starwars do not go together well.
    My biggest wish would be for a residential alien/space world, in which case I could work on so many of the storylines I've thought up but realized would be very hard if not unfeasible to pull off.,... I doubt they'll go there but a girl can dream, right? LOL.
    Also, I'm so glad you like my take on aliens! :cry: That is such a sweet thing to say, bless you.

How would you guys feel about a space-themed game pack?
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I'd like to chime in with my two Simoleans worth about the new pack leak if that's ok. :)
    I'm hoping it's not Star Wars or space-related. I hope the new pack is a Sim version of the lost underwater city of Atlantis (the three circles could be sundials or distant towers.) But I'm also hoping mermaids get an update in a future free patch or even this upcoming pack.
    Post edited by NyteRose on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @NyteRose You might very well be right. I read some online speculation that points out that the use of white and blue is inverted on this pack icon, which might suggest an underwater theme. I thought the three circles might also be bubbles.

As much I would love a space theme, I'd much rather have something unrelated than Star Wars. There's just too much story already attached to it. It's one thing to do the Moschino pack or even the Ikea pack from Sims 2, because you can think of Sims that would be drawn to those brands. There's no pre-existing protagonist of the Ikea world. (At least, I don't think there is!) The Star Wars costume items are already a bit weird, but I mostly ignore them.

My current plan is to bundle the pack with Eco Living and Nifty Knitting when it comes out, because I didn't buy either of those yet, but if it's actually Star Wars, I might avoid it on principle. (It'd come down to the included items at that point--it is stuff I can use to enhance existing aliens or not?)

@lone_cat I updated the front page to note that this is your week, too, but no rush! Jump in with questions whenever you're ready, whether it's now or later in the week. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    @katrinasforest I didn't think of the circles as bubbles, but the blue and white struck me as ocean-y. I hope I am right that the new pack is an ocean world/theme, but my guess is just that- a guess.
    How is everyone doing?
  • Options
    I'm finally feeling better, yay! Anyway, sorry, no questions yet. I'm planning on posting some questions tomorrow.

I like everyone's speculations about the new pack. I agree, while I like Star Wars, I just don't feel like it belongs in the sims universe. I read that the new pack would be something they've never done before, and there was a futuristic and alien world in Sims 3, so I don't know if it will be an alien world. Although, all the hints being dropped seem to point to a space-themed pack. An alien world like @Firande suggested would be a cool addition, since Sixam is so small. But I could also see it being an underwater world. It would be cool to have scuba diving like we had in Sims 3, and even underwater buildings and updates to mermaids like @NyteRose suggested. I read another speculation that it could be a ski slope and cabins to the side. I don't really see ski slope when I look at the icon, but I would love to have a winter vacation world, with skiing. I would be happy with any of these as possibilities, as long as it doesn't include Star Wars.
  • Options
    @lone_cat Tomorrow works. That's a good point about there being an alien world before. Didn't think of this, but maybe both theories are correct, and it's underwater aliens. :)

@NyteRose Doing well, if not a little stressed. A few people have gotten sick the past week in our house, so I'm feeling a bit uneasy. All in all, though, things aren't too bad. Yourself?
  • Options
    Things aren't too bad, I've been busy writing and gaming. I'm also (slowly) compiling a Goth/occult CC finds list - I'll post it on my WP, Tumblr, and another forum I'm a member of when it's completed. I created a new grandmaster vampire to take Vlad's place in a new save (he's pretty cute, too; I think) and I gave one of the vamp ladies in my Gallery a makeover. I'd share pics of them and the rest of the gang, but with all the new clampdowns I'm not sure I can anymore, and I don't want to get into trouble. :/
  • Options
    @NyteRose Awesome to hear that you're getting some writing done. :) I have your website URL, so anytime you want to mention updates on this thread, I can't imagine that causing any issues.
  • Options
    @katrinasforest I can't. With the new Positive Play Charter policy, any content that breaks the rules cannot be mentioned, referenced, or discussed on the forums at all. I confirmed this with a mod myself.
  • Options
    @NyteRose Ouch. I get the idea behind it, but that's really harsh. I can see why it's caused so much frustration for you.
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Hi everyone -
    I'm back! I'm hoping that it's something of an update for alien content...Maybe it's going to be a Sixam pack?
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant to get these out yesterday. If you don't have time to answer them before next week, that's totally fine. :) I struggled with what to ask this week since I think everyone might be in different spots in the story.

1. What are your predictions so far?

2. If you read Story 2, Chapter 3.
    How do you feel about the Brian/Barnes breakup and should they get back together?

3. How do you like the portrayal of mermaids?

4. I'm struggling right now with how to write the next two chapters in Story 2. I know who did it, but getting there is giving me some trouble. I've rewritten my next two chapters about ten different ways and still am not satisfied, lol. I think at this point I just need to pick something and go with it, and I'm being too nitpicky. I keep going back and forth between if I should kill off my antagonist/villain or not. They would get some kind of punishment, like jail time, if they survive, but I don't know which is more satisfying in the end. What are your thoughts on villains and how they should be handled at the end?

• Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    I'm sorry, @NyteRose. I can imagine that would be very frustrating. :(

@lone_cat Here are my answers to your questions!

I'm not entirely sure what chapter I'm at now, but I do know what happened... and my predictions are that soon, very soon, mermaids are going to play a much bigger role as Hailey and Ian find out more about them. I said it on your site but I do think Hailey is onto something when she says she doesn't think mermaids are evil, but on the other hand there may be a distinction between good and evil ones with sirens. The Landgraab conspiracy almost HAS to have something to do with the disappearance of James Landgraab and his partner, but I can't decide yet whether and if so, how mermaids tie into the disappearance... I'm pretty sure they'll have played some role, but it may not be the one we'd expect.

If you read Story 2, Chapter 3. How do you feel about the Brian/Barnes breakup and should they get back together?

I am incredibly biased here, I'll admit this already LOL because I love Brian and Barnes a lot, so I'd love to see them get back together even if maybe it wouldn't be the best idea for either party. I really like how you handled their breakup, first of all. Of course I was very sad to see them break up, but you wrote it so incredibly well and realistically that I can't help but like it a lot. You portrayed the fact that relationships are not all rainbow and sunshine very well - and that once the infatuation ends and love begins, things are no longer quite as black and white. You can love each other a lot but start to become more and more aware of how you're not quite compatible, and those incompatibilities would become harder and harder to deal with once the whole honeymoon phrase is over. Brian and Barnes went through that, did not survive it, but it's clear that Brian has a lot of regrets, now... and that Barnes does miss Brian a lot. I'm not sure if Barnes would actually get back together with Brian, though. I could also see him realizing that it's for the better the way it is now, potentially... but of course I really do want them to, haha. I think they CAN overcome this, granted that they both become much more aware of each other's wishes and consider each other's feelings, personalities and habits... which is not an easy task, but as long as they both want it... nothing's really impossible, right? :smiley:

4. What are your thoughts on villains and how they should be handled at the end?

This is actually such an interesting question and one me and my friend have debated over a lot as well. I do think that villains need justice, and, though you probably don't want to hear this, that it's ultimately on the writer themselves what they feel is the most fitting punishment for that villain, because this is clearly also very dependent on what the villain themselves would consider punishment. Ultimately, I think what matters is that all parties, including the readers, can agree that the villain was defeated and punished. This absolutely does not have to mean death, it just means that the villain themselves were brought down.
    Sometimes, death is the most satisfying thing but I really don't think that always has to be the case. Like, depending on the villains' motives and norms and values, losing their freedom may be even worse than death. Some villains would consider going down fighting (so dying) a more 'worthwhile' way to go vs. rotting away in jail, which means sometimes an even truer defeat because the villain gets punished over and over again for the rest of their lives in jail. You can die a bada$$, but you can't really go to jail one, at least not in the same way LOL. So I'd say if you want them to end up in jail vs. death, go for that. I'm confident that the writer knows what punishment would be the most fitting, best.
    There's obviously also the fact that should you want to bring the villain back at some point, then death can't really be an option cause it's too permanent. This is also a reason why many TV shows don't totally kill off their villains when they are defeated - they think up another fitting punishment for them, roll with that and then the door remains open with perhaps giving said villain another role in the future.
    I think ultimately, long story short, the most important thing is:the way villains should be handled at the end is they should be brought down, and punished. HOW they are punished is up to the writer, and there are SO many more ways to do so than death. You really shouldn't have to feel that death is the only satisfying end for a villain.... there's such an incredible lot of the worst TV villains that don't die either.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    @lone_cat I hope you accept answers from a semi-retired member :p

I think the Landgraabs are the ones behind the disappearance of James and his partner. It's very possible Nancy hated the girl, was jealous, afraid she was a gold-digger, or not good enough for her son and arranged an "accident" but James somehow got caught up in it. That's my take on it, but I could be wrong. The mermaids may tie in as guardians for the sea and the island, though not all Merfolk are benevolent. Maybe James is alive in secret somewhere on the island after being rescued by a Mer?

If you read Story 2, Chapter 3. How do you feel about the Brian/Barnes breakup and should they get back together?
    Brian/Barnes were clear cases of opposites attracting, I think if they have a serious talk and both put in the effort, they can work things out.

4. What are your thoughts on villains and how they should be handled at the end?
    This is a tricky question, and there are no clear-cut answers. It's solely up to the author on how to punish (or not punish) a villain at the end of a story. Some authors turn their villain(s) into anti-heroes and give them a path to redemption; others make them more evil and despicable. It really depends on what path you want the story to take.

50233651716_3c60c270ed_z.jpg
    Evangeline Dumont and Victor Morelli
  • Options
    I always look forward to reading everyone's thoughts. :)

@NyteRose It's good to see you back and that stinks you can't post about your story. Your answers are always welcome. :)
    I will say that mermaids will play a role, somehow. And that they aren't completely good or evil, so those predictions are spot on. But can't say much else. But I do like both of your thoughts and ideas on what might happen. :)

Thanks, @Firande. :) I tried to write their breakup as realistically as possible, so I'm glad you enjoyed reading about it. I wanted to give them a good reason to break up and also show that both of them are struggling with the aftereffects of the breakup. I won't say exactly what I have planned for them, but I'm glad you like both of them and think they could make it work.

I think I have the villain situation sorted out now. But you are both right that it depends on the story and what the writer is trying to get across. And also that the villain should be punished in some way, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have to die. Chapter 15, sort of, reveals who the villain is. The next couple of chapters have been giving me some troubles, but now I had a creative insight and I'm going in a little bit different direction than what I had planned originally. It doesn't really change the ending too much, but it does change what happens to one of the characters.
  • Options
    @lone_cat, sorry I've been so slow with answering your questions. I'll have them done tomorrow for sure!

@lilypadmeulin, I think to keep everything even, we'll spotlight your story until the end of next week. Any questions for us readers to start pondering?
  • Options
    @katrinasforest No worries. :) I was late in getting my questions out, so no rush. :)
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    I do have some questions!

What do you think to how things are going with the Charm family?

Would you prefer longer chapters?

If the narrative started to follow one character more, who would you prefer it followed?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I can post forum-safe screenshots and stories :) So here's a little photo op I did of Meli and Vin a few days ago. (Yes, he got a new hairdo for this shoot.) Enjoy. ;)

50251921132_f20b96956f_z.jpg
    50251079393_37fe364155_z.jpg

Problem: I don't have a forums-safe story. :( Do I create something new from scratch or try to salvage a previous work into something teen-rated?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @lillypadmeulin I'll have answers to your questions either end of today or tomorrow. :)

@NyteRose I think it's up to you what you want to do. Salvaging things would take a little re-writing, but then writing a whole new story would take work as well, unless you already have a story in mind. But it is totally up to you what you want to do. :)
    Post edited by lone_cat on
  • Options
    @lone_cat I had a different story in mind and it only need a few minor edits. I'll think of something.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @lone_cat Answers to your questions!

Okay, this might be a little out there, but I'm guessing that James might have taken a new name and gone off the grid with his partner, hence why they haven't been seen. I'm also thinking that maybe he became a merman himself, hence why some of the other merfolk might be assisting him in keeping the whole thing hushed up. I have a feeling that there is definitely some friction among the merfolk as to the best way to deal with the humans.

2. If you read Story 2, Chapter 3. How do you feel about the (redacted)?
    Sorry, couldn't resist the reference to the spy career. ^_^ I actually thought it was well done and made sense. Not every relationship is perfect, and not everything always works out the way you want it to. I think Barnes handled his feelings in a really mature way. He's not going to forget Brian anytime soon, but he's in the process of moving on in a healthy way. I appreciated how he told Hailey to stop trying to set him up because he wasn't emotionally ready yet. Events like realistic break-ups makes the relationships in a story feel more authentic. My two cents, anyway. :)

3. How do you like the portrayal of mermaids?
    I'm enjoying it so far. I like how they don't think all as one group, and there's a lot of mystery around them. They seem very determined to keep their existence a secret. And I still suspect there might be some infighting going on we're not seeing just yet. I'm intrigued to find out more about them.

I'm a pushover for a good redemption arc. I appreciate when the villain's motivation is something relatable, even if they way they deal with it is unacceptable. I don't care to have things all tied up with a bow per se, but I like villains who do wrong things for the right reasons or show some hint that they're willing to make a change for the better at the end.

Of course, some villains really are just irredeemable, and for them, my hope is always just to have a laugh at their expense. :)

@lilypadmeulin Getting myself caught up, and then I'll be answering your questions next.

@NyteRose Beautiful screenshots! (And I love that coffin in the background!) We'd love to have your writing back in the circle--I'd suggest trying a little bit of both. Maybe spend thirty minutes or so writing each version (the brand new one and the edited one) and see which feels more enjoyable to you. Editing might be less work, but doing something totally new might be more engaging because it's something new. On that note, I had a semi-random thought: have you considered writing stories with your characters where they're actually teenagers, that way the teen-safe material will come more naturally as you write? Just a suggestion. You write what makes you happy. And if you just want to share screenshots for the time being, that works, too. :)