Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• Options
    MsDaisyMsDaisy Posts: 22 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @ZeeGee Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Keatons newborn doesn't seem healthy... https://imgur.com/a/zJnVqpT
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @SuzyCue72
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0yXGVWS1Y
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,369 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @ZeeGee: hey I'm sorry if I seemed dismissive of people's problems. Bad at keeping up with the thread + thinking my graphics were fixed would do that. Here's some horrible skin artifacts taken yesterday as penance: https://imgur.com/S7ZMk3e (Imgur link so you can zoom in)

Playing tech support is fun until it isn't. I wish I had something better to say. :-\

@InfraGreen Oh no I didn't think that at all! But ugh, that skin looks bad. Total pixel vomit. :sick:

@SuzyCue72 That made me snort my drink out my nose :lol:

Out of time again! I did get some pics taken but I want to get more. And i'm changing the heading of this thread again. :anguished:
  • Options
    MsDaisy wrote: »
    Keatons newborn doesn't seem healthy... https://imgur.com/a/zJnVqpT

@MsDaisy Oh that's bad

@Emily4331 Lol!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited August 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    Incoming screenshot spam. Sorry about that.

I took @ZeeGee 's recommendation and grabbed some photos of the Goth, Andrews, and Hart families, both in the morning and afternoon, for comparison. These are from before the *2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview* (sure) for .NET; I took the same screenshots afterwards and didn't notice any difference. In each case, the first screenshots are from somewhere between 8 and 9 am, and the second are from between 2 and 3 pm, because they don't hold still and I didn't want to keep reloading. The sims are standing side by side, but I zoomed in on each separately.

These were all taken on full ultra settings minus high-detail lots, at 2560x1440, in a fully updated Windows 10 1903, in fullscreen mode, with no other tweaks applied to the graphics settings. I used clean folders, no mods or cc.

I think the worst parts here are Gunther's chest and the neckline of Mortimer's shirt, and of course the sims' arms bleeding into the water.
    O783LG7.png
    bWen0MA.png

There's striping on Victoria's right arm and pixel vomit on Beau's right forearm in the morning, and both in the afternoon.
    wkifUqY.png
    pxXJPxG.png

The Harts mostly look okay, at least to me, aside from Gus being ridiculous.
    cNP8nNy.png
    Rv8nYgf.png

This is Cornelia's skirt with her back to the sun, left at 8 am, right at 3 pm:
    N1Gbq0p.png

Bonus pic of the awful-looking wallpaper in the Hart kitchen:
    v4xzBcV.png

Finally, I tried @Emily4331 's HQ edit, and I added a couple other edits to graphicsrules as well, just to see what would happen. This is a close-up of Gunther's chest at 8 am. Top is without edits, bottom is with.
    mrECDhF.png

Edit: It's interesting how much... less bad... the screenshots look when posted here. Maybe imgur compresses them somewhat. Gunther's is the only one where I can fully see what I see in the originals, and even then, the pixel vomit on his shirt is much more subtle.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Yeah Imgur makes the game look ''better'' than it really is
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    The real issues are worse color banding and the pixilation of sims' skins and faces, especially some of the CC skins which were completely ruined by the update. The pixilation issue especially affects sims with darker skin color or who are out at night time. Installing Reshade and editing the color banding option does help with this issue and Archivist provided instructions for that on this thread.

Color banding has always been an issue in The Sims 3 but it's gotten worse ever since I started playing on Windows 10.

Until two months ago, I was still on Windows 7 but I had to "upgrade" to W10 when I built a new PC with a new Ryzen CPU (which isn't supported on 7). I'm not as unsatisfied with Windows 10 as I thought I'd be, but I've been having issues with older games.

All three Sims games have some issues. The Sims 1 had issues with my older saves and I would take MINUTES to save a game (it should take 2 seconds), so I had to start with a clean folder. The Sims 2 has DirectSound issues (missing sounds, DirectSound errors, hang-ups and occasional crashes). And Sims 3 does look worse now than it did before, even with settings maxed out and some additional enhancements like anisotropic filtering. The issues are related to pixelation and worse color banding than ever before. It's not as bad as some of the screenshots I see here though.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Thanks for those pics. I think you're right. The pics don't show the pixilation quite as badly.

The absolute worse is darker skinned sims at night.

I do have pictures and hopefully will get a chance to upload and post them tomorrow! Busy day today.
  • Options
    @naus So sorry. I tried to get a Windows 7 puter when this first came out and there was no way. The only alternative is Linux and I'm just not tech savvy enough to keep that going. :'(
  • Options
    I just noticed something absolutely insane. There's COLOR BANDING in The Sims 1 as well:
    xSn84bH.png

There's a plethora of graphical glitches and other issues in TS1 as well. TS2 has its own issues (mainly related to sound). Windows 10 is definitely not good for playing older games.
  • Options
    @Naus I never got to play Sims 1. Shame.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Okay, here are my pics. This is on boot up, no default skin. It's 8:02 am. I changed Cornelia's hair so you could see her face better, and the rest of the pics will be in a spoiler so the thread will still load okay.

I decided to order them by comparison instead of time. So the 8 am shots are followed by the 10 pm shots. What I noticed is that the 10 pm photos are much worse but it doesn't show up in the pictures as bad as it really looks.
    asoDhfZ.jpg
    x7ADiIN.jpg
    BIG SPOILER WITH LOTS OF PICS!!!
    QuZvxJ4.jpg
    heHs4eS.jpg
    6nkYfAX.jpg
    ErUEjEg.jpg
    hlYJn55.jpg
    3S1t2Tz.jpg
    OC7QIzM.jpg
    VrddOvD.jpg
    15bm7qs.jpg
    GF0DcSG.jpg
    7sOsS50.jpg
    4kUvrCW.jpg
    hLkxxt3.jpg
    MPzayP9.jpg
    E6WUgwJ.jpg
    E0BHXp8.jpg
    FisS80Z.jpg
    7apUEho.jpg
    Dd91kfh.jpg
    Wa7Cn18.jpg
    fP79K6y.jpg
    VuXsGKo.jpg
    IAMMD0E.jpg
    65UOWSC.jpg
    8lL1nun.jpg
    DKaS0KI.jpg
    TLQhVDQ.jpg
    Ite4X5h.jpg
    q6vPvQl.jpg
    3QhIfWw.jpg
    y3IDeaA.jpg
    G9uyq6u.jpg
    lCMhW3r.jpg
    Ou827pq.jpg
    IqSP1pu.jpg
    JiMmUzD.jpg
    fBqJ2le.jpg
    ApZho1p.jpg
    OcJu6dS.jpg
    2lO27TF.jpg
    DTr56Xv.jpg
    MuD8lQG.jpg

And the Hart's kitchen to compare with puzzlezaddict:
    oCuchxQ.jpg
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    @ZeeGee you where right, our games do look very similar (sadly)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @MsDaisy Yes :cry: And it all happened one Saturday night in early December while I slept. :angry:

I'm still working on the spoiler pics. I decided to rearrange them to show the night pic right after the day pic and it's a nightmare lol Edit: DONE! Finally.
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    MsDaisy wrote: »
    @SuzyCue72 He has feelings too...
    @MsDaisy Sure has!

Emily4331 wrote: »
    @Emily4331 Poor little Spongebob... but I think he's kind of cute actually, not ugly. :)

ZeeGee wrote: »
    @SuzyCue72 That made me snort my drink out my nose :lol:
    @ZeeGee Haha! :D Just be careful with your nose so it doesn't get sprained... :p
  • Options
    This is as bad as it gets for me in terms of color banding. The game looks pretty good overall but the color banding truly ruins it for me. Just look at my Sim's tank top (the blond one).

ECBUxsu.jpg
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited August 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    I've been meaning to get screenshots from my Mac, which is still running Sierra (from 2016, and yes, I know), for comparison. This is complicated by the fact that I can't even play in anything close to my Mac's native resolution—the game won't even get past the splash screen. (The macOS port is truly terrible.) So I got all new screenshots, all at 1280x800 and with the same ultra settings minus water and high detail lots, because I didn't want my Mac to disown me.

Side note: fps was 20(!) in macOS with these settings, even with only WA, Ambitions, Generations, and a couple SPs installed, and in Sunset Valley of all places. The macOS port is truly terrible.

For all these screenshots, Mac is on the left, Windows is in the middle, and Windows plus some HQ edits is on the right. Pay no attention to the thin vertical line in some of the Mac screenshots; it can't be helped.

Beau seems to look better in HQ, but the Mac version isn't bad.
    qeaEy6S.jpg

Beau's arm looks equally bad no matter what. I turned up sharpness, exposure, and contrast, so imgur wouldn't completely ruin the effect this time, although it looks a lot worse in its original form.
    Em4t67B.jpg

This is Victoria's arm, similarly edited and looking similarly bad. Was it always like this? I can't even remember.
    e92RJDC.jpg

This is Gunther's chest, with sharpness maxed out twice but no other changes.
    Edit: I'm glad to see the dots and other noise show up now.
    6byymlR.jpg

I know the level of detail, particularly on the clothing, is a lot worse in macOS. The game doesn't look like that; I think it's an artifact of some compression, probably the same reason there are vertical lines in the screenshots.

But it's not the point. The point is with a driver written specifically for macOS, one that hasn't been updated in forever, the game still looks bad, although of course playing on a MacBook Pro isn't supposed to be ideal conditions. It does make me wonder though if Windows had some graphics optimization that isn't there anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Naus Sorry. Even if it's dark you can still see the color banding. :neutral:
    It does make me wonder though if Windows had some graphics optimization that isn't there anymore.

That is an interesting theory. I wonder if that's what happened. My game definitely did not look like this before. And I'm positive because I filmed all night specific scenes, booted up the computer the next day, had to reset all my Sims 3 graphics options so obviously Windows did something, and my game was very different. The first thing I noticed was Cassandra, who has darker skin, had color banding all over her neck that was not there the night before. Then when I went to the piano scene Gunther's suit was so pixelated it looked ridiculous. The wood was green and shiny too. So Windows did SOMETHING or I would not have had to reset all my options when I booted the game. :confused: Thanks for all the pic comparisons.

ETA: Though if that's what the game looks like in Mac no wonder people complain about the graphics.
  • Options
    I've noticed something very weird, the color wheel has color banding when you make the colors darker... like how did this happen
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I have a new gaming desktop.I will have to do a photo from
    My laptop and desktop and see if there’s any difference
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @ZeeGee If your settings were back to default that points towards a DRIVER update. The Sims 3 discarts the DeviceConfig file everytime the GUID for your GPU Driver version changes.

Maybe it's NOT a Windows issue. Maybe it's an issue with our GPU's drivers. Do you guys have Nvidia GPUs? Does this issue happen to people with AMD or Intel GPUs?

EDIT: I did some googling and it could in fact be an issue with DITHERING for Nvidia/Intel GPUs. Some driver update disabled dithering for Windows.
    Post edited by Naus on
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @Naus I think we narrowed it down to Nvidia players. As one, I'll check those settings later today.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I have Nvidia as well and i am affected by this. I hope it gets solved soon because my game can look really ugly sometimes because of it.
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Honestly, I give up on this. I feel like it's just a problem with certain games and other applications that I'll just have to deal with by messing around with my Freestyle settings to make it look good enough for me. :lol: Anyway, it's just solid color objects that have this horrendous color banding, so an easy fix is to just apply even the simplest pattern to them soo yeah I'm going to do that. The pixel vomit is another story, but at least for more detailed CC skins my HQ settings eliminate that problem and for normal gameplay it doesn't matter to me as much, so my Freestyle settings should also be able to at least make me semi happy with how it looks. :lol:

I went here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php#gradient-h.png to see if it was my monitor or GPU settings or anything like that and I pass that test with flying colors, zero color banding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top