Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

50% off sale, should I finally buy some packs?

CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
I'm interested in:
- Parenthood
- Island Living
- University
- Seasons

Are any of these worth buying?
EDIT: I forgot Pets
Post edited by CursedDice on

Comments

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Seasons and Parenthood are awesome packs - definitely get them! The sale is a bonus for those packs.

Seasons add weather first and foremost, so it changes the look and can add a little challenge to play. It also helps add to the passing of time - it helps keep the game from feeling so stagnant. Holidays are great for me because they help reinforce family play and you can make your own holidays so if you don't do the traditional holidays or are of a different religion, it can bring something closer to home into game for you.

Parenthood adds to the family play. To be honest, I wasn't a huge family play fan in previous iterations, but the way they changed the skill sets made it for interesting for me (and made the age stages feel different).

Island Living and Discover University I would only get on sale. IL feels more like a hyped game pack and I am disappointed with DU.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Parenthood is amazing if you're into family play. It added a lot of meaningful gameplay to my game. Some people are bothered by kids making too many messes on community lots, but that hasn't been a huge problem in my game.

The general consensus is that Seasons is the best EP for TS4. I've seen several tier lists that put Seasons at S rank, and it's the only EP I've seen that's near unanimously adored by the fanbase. I'd say it's pretty good too. It added a lot of variety and fun things to do to my game.

Some people say Island Living only has a GP's worth of gameplay, so it should've been $20 from the beginning. I personally love island/beach gameplay, so I like it. It depends on whether you're into that sort of thing. You'd get a lot of mileage out of it if you really enjoy that kind of stuff.

I'd say at the very least, you should get Seasons. And depending on your play style and budget, you could also get Parenthood and/or Island Living. I don't know about DU because I don't have it yet
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    In one way or another, all of the packs listen above I can recommend.
  • Options
    RainbowSimQueenRainbowSimQueen Posts: 1,227 Member
    Seasons is mandatory imo and if you're into family play Parenthood is great as well. When it comes to IL i wish i would've waited and i do like the items that came with DU but for me the whole University experience just doesn't suit my play style this time around and i wish i would've waited for a sale on that one as well.
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    Seasons is mandatory imo and if you're into family play Parenthood is great as well. When it comes to IL i wish i would've waited and i do like the items that came with DU but for me the whole University experience just doesn't suit my play style this time around and i wish i would've waited for a sale on that one as well.

I pretty much exclusively play families, other than the odd save
  • Options
    SribindiSribindi Posts: 261 Member
    Parenthood and Seasons are amazing! I love those!

I don't own University or Island Living yet though.
  • Options
    4ri4n44ri4n4 Posts: 9 New Member
    I bought everything! .. I only need the University, but it wasn't on sale. :disappointed:
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    The bottom line is, if you want them and think you'll use them, they're worth buying. I liked them all, personally. The only packs I really didn't enjoy are: Outdoor Retreat and Get Together, and even with those two there are things I use all the time from those packs.

Basically, all the choices you've listed are good. Choose the one that appeals to you the most.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Get Seasons, then Uni, Parenthood, Island Living. In that order.
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    I just bought Realm Of Magic with 33% off and Discover University with 55% off.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    All of these packs I would recommend on a sale, but Seasons and University are pretty fantastic EP’s in my book.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I really adore pets! When I first got the game on PS4 and Pets was the pack that made me love the game. Seasons is a must. Seasons just make the game feel fresh each time one rolls around or even just the change of weather. Holidays are pretty awesome too and I feel it added a lot of gameplay.

Parenthood is definitely my favorite game pack no doubt about it.

I have both Island Living and Discover University but I haven't played with Island Living at all cause my "neighborhood story" isn't there yet Discover University I'm not sure about yet.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    I'm thinking of getting "Back to Work" and "Seasons".
    Question: In "Back to Work", in addition to the 3 new careers, can you play the character at work with this pack on the other original careers too?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited December 2019
    4ri4n4 wrote: »
    I bought everything! .. I only need the University, but it wasn't on sale. :disappointed:

University is currently on sale for $19.99. Just double checked to make sure and it is still on sale.

Oh and editing, because I forgot to comment for OP. I think all are worth it at the current $19.99 sale price, perhaps with the exception of Island Living, but honestly even Island Living gives you lots of new CAS and build items. So if you're like me and keep only a handful of CC in your game, you could probably use the male summer clothes.

If I could only choose one from your list I would go with seasons, for the holidays.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Question: In "Back to Work", in addition to the 3 new careers, can you play the character at work with this pack on the other original careers too?

You can't. It's just those three (plus the retail system)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

You can't. It's just those three (plus the retail system)

Ok. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm still trying to decide if I should get "Back to Work" first, or "Seasons".
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    All of these are worth the price with the sail. University, Seasons, Parenthood, and Cats & Dogs are all deals, while you'd be buying Island Living for it's should be price.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Just got University for 50% off. I plan on only paying half price for the rest of the dlc for sims 4.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like all of these. I also shopped sales at times. I agree that IL is better on sale. If you are a family player and not planning to send your family to the beach or to live in a tropical setting then you could probably give it a pass.

Seasons and Parenthood seem obvious for family play. I enjoyed both of these. Seasons, Parenthood and Cats and Dogs have probably had the most influence on my game. It is great that the seasons are different in all of the worlds.

I like DU as well and I think it adds the college experience. If you play legacy families where you plan to send anyone to university then it makes sense. If you are only playing families with young kids then you can probably pass on it. I think it added complexity to my rotation. I now have households with varying degrees of education and attitudes to education. I also enjoyed the university experience with my sims but I tend to play more studious ones. Maybe I'll end up with some slackers at some point for a different experience.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    I'm assuming "Get to Work" is a must? Everyone already has it?
    I've pretty well decided to get "Get to Work" right away, and "Seasons" maybe now or at a later time.
    Stuff Packs, I've decided which one to start with.
    Still a bit uncertain what to bundle for game packs... :#
    GhWAYJB.png
    I'm leaning towards "Strangerville" or "Parenthood". Though the "Dine Out" and "Spa Day" look fun.

P.S. I'm avoiding "Vampires" and "Realm of Magic" for Sims 4 since I've overplayed those types of games way too much already. Heh!

I'd like to keep it Sim-ple for now.

^See what I did there^ :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm assuming "Get to Work" is a must? Everyone already has it?
    I've pretty well decided to get "Get to Work" right away, and "Seasons" maybe now or at a later time.
    Stuff Packs, I've decided which one to start with.
    Still a bit uncertain what to bundle for game packs... :#
    GhWAYJB.png
    I'm leaning towards "Strangerville" or "Parenthood". Though the "Dine Out" and "Spa Day" look fun.

P.S. I'm avoiding "Vampires" and "Realm of Magic" for Sims 4 since I've overplayed those types of games way too much already. Heh!

I'd like to keep it Sim-ple for now.

^See what I did there^ :D

I would get Seasons, but Get to Work is really fun. As an occult player, I love the aliens.and the abductions. I really like the Detective.and Scientist careers.as.wrll, can't.speak for. Docter. though because I've never played with it before. I only got Get to Work on Sunday.

As for Game Packs, I would go with Vampires. I know you said you're avoiding it, but as you said, it's.not because you dislike the content it includes. It and Parenthood are the most jam-packed Game Packs you could get, but as I don't play families often I would 100% go with Vampires. But it was also my first Game Pack, so I might be a bit biased 😂
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I would recommend Seasons or University, Island Living is also good. I don't regret buying any of those you listed though.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Such a shame that the stuff packs are not on sale.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I bought the university pack as it was half price and there was no way I was going to pay that kind of money for a pack I was only buying for the new items and not the actual university part..
  • Options
    I did the math. Bundling doesn't save me anything more than buying everything individually.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png