Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University may be the most annoying expansion of all

Comments

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    > Living in the dorms was the worse; sims throwing food everywhere, playing instruments, turning up music, inviting over random townies, just throwing a pile of trash on the floor for no reason.

My sim is a celebrity with the Star Treatment perk so I just hired a scheduled maid for free to keep the filth down to a minimum.

> Then there's soccer. Managed to make it to the top level, but in 4 weeks of playing was injured about 50% of the time. A little bit excessive. And always exhausted, always filthy. If you're going to go through all that there should be better payback, like adoring fans or something. Anything.

Same here! My sim wasn't relying on the scholarship for it but I just wanted her to be active. I just always teleported her from the soccer field to the dorms so she can clean off and sleep quickly. I also lowered her classes to 2 per semester because otherwise she'd be in the worst mood. I heard about the UI mod which can help if you want to increase specific stats.

Also can we talk about how plum annoying the bikes are?! It'd take my sim 20 minutes to take it out of her inventory, 10 minutes to get on. Then, it'd take her 10 minutes to get off and 20 minutes to put it back in her inventory. I'd have to plan her going everywhere an hour in advance so she's not late to classes. I got annoyed so I just sold her bike and teleported her everywhere. Now, she (graduated) lives in a house with her boyfriend who is still in college and he has it so much easier lucky him.

With the bikes I really wish at least that when you clicked "go there" they just walked, as opposed to clicking "bike there". It should be like the vampire movements, iether or, your choice; maybe it's a bug, but if I just click go there they often bike whether I wanted them to or not; like right in the dorms, for instance.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    By that I don't mean that there isn't some good stuff; I like some of the objects, like being able to go to college, etc. But holy craptrap it's just one annoyance after another. It's like it's designed that way purposely.
    Living in the dorms was the worse; sims throwing food everywhere, playing instruments, turning up music, inviting over random townies, just throwing a pile of trash on the floor for no reason. They'd rarely approach my sim, but the second he tried to study, BAM, pester pester pester. Add some items so the place feels like a real college dorm, and instantly regretted it. Play ping pong, play ping pong, play ping pong. Shut off that autonomy. Do keg stand, do keg stand, do keg stand, shut that down. Study soccer strategy, study soccer strategy, study soccer strategy. Throw sim off building (if only I could...an expansion with nothing but new and glorious ways to kill your sims when they're being annoying would probably outsell all the previous ones combined).
    Things got better when I redesigned Darkwing House and moved over there, but it was basically just on a smaller scale. Still had Jaques Villareal hanging out 50% of the time just because he was a roommate's random friend. And the fact that even in a small house grills and stoves aren't allowed is just plain stupid.
    Then there's soccer. Managed to make it to the top level, but in 4 weeks of playing was injured about 50% of the time. A little bit excessive. And always exhausted, always filthy. If you're going to go through all that there should be better payback, like adoring fans or something. Anything.
    Even the little interactions seem keyed to failure. Tap the keg, fail, get a bad moodlet. Try and do a keg stand, fail, get a bad moodlet. It took me 6 times at one point to get a keg tapped, and this as an engineering student who'd already tapped about ten other kegs. And yeah, I've seen some people get dropped doing keg stands irl, but not 60% of the time. This kind of stuff isn't nearly as whacky and funny as Maxis seems to think it is, especially in excess.
    I even got a bad moodlet for eating too many quick meals (and who's fault is that?). Fine; sorta realistic. Went over to the commons, but it was 9:30am, and it said dinner wasn't until 5 o'clock. Really?!? So I decided to go to a real park and grill. And when the the travel option opened up, it had one of my roommates highlighted to go with me, which I clicked off. So what does he do? Shows up anyway, in a group. Second time in a row he just comes along whether I want him to or not. Can't I just play my game without having things crammed down my throat? I guess after five years I should know the answer to that.

BOLD HIGHLIGHT...uuuugggh! Why the heck make us suffer for MAKING US have to abid from YOUR rules Sims Team/

LOL because they must make you suffer even more by load screening to the cafeteria.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Just saw Carl’s take on this pack. It confirms what I heard about it so far, with footage to back it up.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Well, I can at least say that if you can find mods or can mod it yourself, it can make a difference. My college experience now doesn't have food everywhere, or trash piles just for the sake of trash piles, or clingy sims that follow me off to every lot I go to, even if I declare them my enemy. My soccer injuries don't last for more than four hours so they are now just pesty instead of almost game breaking, my ping-pong table isn't quite as overly attractive to sims, and since I started a new game and purged it of every pre-made sim, I don't have Bjorn Bjergssen as my art model (although that was a bit funny). There are things still out of balance, and boring stretches of time (just how many times do I have to clean the statue? It's more often pranked than clean. And why doesn't everyone go to bed in the dorms by a certain time so ultra speed kicks in and I don't have to stare at the screen for so long while my sim sleeps?). But I have found enough things to do with the different organizations and such that it was worth going back with a fresh sim. So I think my final grade is going to be somewhere around a "B"; could have been much better, but I enjoy it over all. And the research skill imho is definitely the key to happiness and success at college.

Edit: Although one thing that's now annoying me now that I'm using them is that so many of the organization events don't trigger properly. I'm at the commons eating, see that an event is supposed to start soon, and it never does. And some of them don't end properly, either, and sims just stand there, stuck.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    emmaroelofsenemmaroelofsen Posts: 1 New Member
    MTS_dorien922_1886277_DVNoStoveRestrictionsInDorms.rar this is a mod you can download to allow stoves in dorm rooms
  • Options
    KadaveraKadavera Posts: 12 New Member
    I had a Sim that was an archaeologist. I was still playing him when DU cane out. When I saw that he could take classes to become a professor, I thought... Archaeologist + Professor = Indiana Jones! I signed him up right away. I was a bit surprised to see that if my Sim was to move into a dorm, that he would have to sell his house. Really?!? Well... he didn't and lived at home but I felt I was missing out on that experience.
    So... I made another Sim. This one, of course, didn't have all the things my other Sim had collected/made/etc. and therefore, it wouldn't be a big deal if he sold his house to live on campus.
    And that is what he did. Sold the furniture with the house and moved to a dorm. Imagine my surprise when he was billed for his household expenses. Thinking that maybe it was a one time deal, I was pretty annoyed when it happened again. I am still playing this Sim, he still hasn't finished his degree, but I can't see this trend ending anytime soon. So not only is he forced to pay for his tuition and rent for the dorms, but he is also responsible for the bills of a house he no longer owns and needed a full time job to pay for. I have to try to keep that household balance up because he's going to need those simoleons to buy his house back once he's done.
    Why is he still paying for a house he was forced to sell? Why was he forced to sell his home to begin with?

And I agree with the OP. It's almost impossible to eat or study with all the interruptions no matter which building I took him to. I suppose it's great for his social needs but he sure as heck doesn't find talking to all these people very fun because his fun bar is always going down.
    But you can lock your door and study in peace! Right? My Sim was in his room... that has a desk... I click on his homework and he walks past that perfectly good desk, leaves his room and goes into the one next door and uses that desk instead. Almost instantly, a roommate came in to chat. Does locking your door against folks coming in while you're studying work? Not when your Sim does that!
    BTW... Did you spend reward points for a "steel bladder" before going to University? Or perhaps that nifty "antiseptic" one? Well... those aren't going to help you there. Forget you ever got those little perks because they don't work in University.
    My Sim also developed an unhealthy obsession for that portable laptop and the soccer ball to the extent that he didn't have them for very long before I sold them.
    In Foxbury, there are two buildings at opposite ends of the campus. My Sim was actually given classes where he had only 5 mins to get from one building to the other. Have you ever seen Foxbury? There's stairs everywhere. It takes 5 mins just for a Sim to negotiate one set of stairs let alone the other stairs they will have to use before they get to the other building. If you don't use a cheat to teleport as soon as your Sim gets out of class... they are going to be constantly late and that isn't going to do well for their grades.

Hopefully, this Sim will build me a nice Servo and if everything I have read about them is true, that may be mostly worth the trouble.

At least in Sims 3, the university came with a not only a ping pong table, but a pool table, arcade machines, a photo booth to woohoo in and bowling lanes that didn't require a separate pack. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    ...and my newest gripe about University is (drum roll please)...where is the romance? I have never seen any stretch of time so long and met so many sim girls with so few being flirty. ONE...in three weeks, and about fifty girls, talking to them every time I see them. What kind of college experience is that? Even with the passionfruit keg. Can't speak for the guy sims, but something is making everyone all business, except for watching tv in my dorm. Wee.
  • Options
    MTS_dorien922_1886277_DVNoStoveRestrictionsInDorms.rar this is a mod you can download to allow stoves in dorm rooms

Thanks. I did end up getting one from Littlemssam, who has one, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Has anyone else been finding that the pathing can be goofy as all get out, too? Things like I'm at a creativity event in the center quad, and tell my sim to go to Darby Commons, which is the active lot. Then I tell him to use the toilet he's now standing a few feet from, but instead, he runs back out the door and all the way back over to the center quad, where he turns around, and runs all the way back to Darby, where the interaction fails. I get lot's of these, many from failed socials from sims who want to talk to him who are in timbuktu somewhere, and he just stands and waits. Just not a well programmed pack, overall. And I find it kind of stupid that when I go to visit the rival school for mischief, their statue has already been pranked. So now if I want to get credit for pranking it, I have to clean it first. Why does it need to be pre-pranked in the first place?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    ...and my newest gripe about University is (drum roll please)...where is the romance? I have never seen any stretch of time so long and met so many sim girls with so few being flirty. ONE...in three weeks, and about fifty girls, talking to them every time I see them. What kind of college experience is that? Even with the passionfruit keg. Can't speak for the guy sims, but something is making everyone all business, except for watching tv in my dorm. Wee.

This is one of my main gripes as well. Why do we have different kegs to choose from if they aren't going to make a spit of difference in behavior? I miss the wildness of Sims 2 University. There were Sims streaking, trying to dance up on other Sims, showing up in togas, starting trouble, causing a ruckus, cheering when your Sim did something crazy... even autonomously joining them in an activity, like the Bubble Blower. I've put Bubble Blowers in the dorms because - you know - college...and no one uses them. In fact, Sims seem turned off by them being there. I have to actually make my Sim invite other dormies to use it with them. It's like, there's never any "togetherness" unless they're just talking. And when they do use the kegs or play beer pong, no one else really cares or reacts, they have to drink excessively to get "dazed" and it's all very anticlimactic.

So far the college life is kind of tame and boring.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    In my game the keg has to be outside to be tapped. Yes, bikes are annoying. I am still enjoying the pack even though it's clunky. I want to click on my Sim and select Go to Class. When I click on kids there is an option go to school.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I can't figure out how to eat at the Commons. Is that only available for students who live in the dorms? The food kiosk also seems to be unavailable to my poor starving Sims.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited December 2019
    noticed this post was too redundant, so deleted it. Please scroll down for the similar post. Thanks
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    It's really frustrating when a pack design doesn't take into consideration all of the rotational players. Students enrolled in University should stay where we leave them, in limbo, still attending classes but not making progress until we go back to that household and play them again. They shouldn't fail, or leave the dorm, or get expelled. As soon as the player switches out, they should just continue to be unplayed students without advancement. Because I feel like I have to finish not only the semester, but the entire college process if I want to make sure they succeed. I can't take a break to go play the StrangerVille story or switch Universities or play my Occults for a while.

Ideally, there could have been a pop-up message to ask to keep the students enrolled and continue with average grades or to freeze their progress instead.
    #Team Occult
  • Options

> Living in the dorms was the worse; sims throwing food everywhere, playing instruments, turning up music, inviting over random townies, just throwing a pile of trash on the floor for no reason.

My sim is a celebrity with the Star Treatment perk so I just hired a scheduled maid for free to keep the filth down to a minimum.

> Then there's soccer. Managed to make it to the top level, but in 4 weeks of playing was injured about 50% of the time. A little bit excessive. And always exhausted, always filthy. If you're going to go through all that there should be better payback, like adoring fans or something. Anything.

Same here! My sim wasn't relying on the scholarship for it but I just wanted her to be active. I just always teleported her from the soccer field to the dorms so she can clean off and sleep quickly. I also lowered her classes to 2 per semester because otherwise she'd be in the worst mood. I heard about the UI mod which can help if you want to increase specific stats.

Also can we talk about how plum annoying the bikes are?! It'd take my sim 20 minutes to take it out of her inventory, 10 minutes to get on. Then, it'd take her 10 minutes to get off and 20 minutes to put it back in her inventory. I'd have to plan her going everywhere an hour in advance so she's not late to classes. I got annoyed so I just sold her bike and teleported her everywhere. Now, she (graduated) lives in a house with her boyfriend who is still in college and he has it so much easier lucky him.

With the bikes I really wish at least that when you clicked "go there" they just walked, as opposed to clicking "bike there". It should be like the vampire movements, iether or, your choice; maybe it's a bug, but if I just click go there they often bike whether I wanted them to or not; like right in the dorms, for instance.

Lol, I directed my Sim the other day to collect some plants and dig up some stones and she rode her bike every step of the way, stopping every few steps to do these tasks. Even though I chose for her "walk", she kept riding around anyway. All the way to her dorm room too. Oh, and sometimes the bikes, dissappear in the world and turn up elsewhere! Ughh..
  • Options
    I can relate to some of this.

The endless dumping of random trash in the same spot (always just outside the bathroom) I can relate to. My sim’s Mom visited the dorm every day. I don’t recognise my roommates annoying my sim. I found the opposite- they ignored my sim but would invite themselves along on my sims outings.

The constant plates of lobster Thermidor being brought over though? No just no. If it was lobster it was cake or cookies. My room mates threw “parties” at 9am that consisted of violin players and cookies and hanging out in the bathroom. My dorm mates ignored the keg. I agree the constant moodlet from eating ready meals is annoying but my sim had plenty of lobster to eat cause apparently that’s the food of students at Foxbury. What drove me crazy was my sim refusing to do her homework at her own desk. In fact none of the students did their homework in their rooms. To me dorms are very unrealistic. From no kitchen (not normal for me in real life dorms, to my sims “wild” 9am parties and constant music practice, it felt like university for children.

Yesss, the lobster thermidor constantly brought over. I finally added a refridgerator but my Sim still had to constantly add these dishes to the fridge, all day long. Also for some reason, at Foxbury, the dishes keep appearing in the bathroom and then, the Sims bring them out which is weird. Now, I agree that some aspects of dorm life are real about being interrupted, but in real life, there is usually a dorm (or residence hall) director and they would not allow trash being thrown around, food everywhere, or the radio along with parties all times of night. So that is taking it too far in this game.
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    It's really frustrating when a pack design doesn't take into consideration all of the rotational players. Students enrolled in University should stay where we leave them, in limbo, still attending classes but not making progress until we go back to that household and play them again. They shouldn't fail, or leave the dorm, or get expelled. As soon as the player switches out, they should just continue to be unplayed students without advancement. Because I feel like I have to finish not only the semester, but the entire college process if I want to make sure they succeed. I can't take a break to go play the StrangerVille story or switch Universities or play my Occults for a while.

Ideally, there could have been a pop-up message to ask to keep the students enrolled and continue with average grades or to freeze their progress instead.

However, that's just it. Even if you don't rotate and you play your university Sims, exclusively. My game doesn't save any progress (not even for a few hours), so when I return, it says my Sims haven't completed the term so they are suspended. Even if they had A's at the end of their terms. So not sure what is going on there??? Also, if they are going to suspend your Sim because you haven't logged in to play for a couple of days or even a week, then how can they suspend you? Especially, after spending hours doing classwork only to comeback to being forced to move out? In that case, the Sims need to go to class on their own for at least a little while until they are activated again.

If a player is rotating to another game, I agree with what you said about a notice popping up to let them know, their university Sim is failing or in danger of being suspended. So frustrating.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Even though I'm still playing at college, I'm thinking less and less of the job that was done on it. It's another buggy pack, with little thought done to so much of it.

Current problems I have, or have had:
    Shower hygiene is too low-Often takes close to two hours to shower. Ridiculous that my sim had to upgrade it or lose so much time.
    Showers are embarrassing-can't keep my sims from just walking in on each other and plopping down on the john at home, but in college it bothers them.
    Sims aren't sleeping-Many are pretending to, and it's keeping the auto lights from working.
    Archetypes are more annoying than what they add-It just creates repetitive gameplay having sims bring food, play violin, leave notes, make messes, follow you around, again and again. Sims are plenty annoying without giving them new reasons.
    Art Society is dull as stones-Basically one meeting type? Go down by the canal, and figure paint. Wee.
    Debating is buggy as heck-Uniforms don't come off for hours sometimes, and you can't change out of them. Sims get stuck at the podium after the practice in the commons. Not that my sim ever gets to participate; not sure what the point is, everyone ninja grabs the podiums before my sim can. And now my sim has begun to wear exciting and wacky accessories with his uniform, like sun glasses and ninja masks. And it's boring because the debates are sooo long.
    Fast travel to the Brichester Commons-This may sound stupid, but to me it says wonders about the lack of details that get looked at. Who put the arrival point BEHIND the kiosk, so my sim is always hidden when he arrives? Same thing for go to class early at that college; why do sims all go two feet from the wall in the corner and stare at it like they are children being punished?
    The college area in general and socials-Sims are allowed to begin interactions with you WAY TOO FAR away from your sim. I often can't even find them, and it halts game play waiting for them, especially if I'm already talking to another sim so I can't cancel it without cancelling everything. There needs to be a distance limit, which I know is in the programming for many other things
    Food options-Yeah, I get that there's a full court press for college starvation. But again, it makes for repetitive game play, going to the commons again and again. I modded my coffee cart market stall so it sells pizza slices, so I don't have to keep fast travelling back and forth, and it's so much nicer. Should have been more stands with food options. There's one that sells falafel, but I hardly ever see it. Can't quite figure out why there is another stall that opens in winter, but not other seasons; I would think winter would be the least likely time to stand outside and sell food.
    Lot variety-I'm really not sold that having two colleges makes for a better experience. The problem is, it limits the lots to a bunch of dorms, two commons, a pub, a library...and wow, that's it. So really we have our dorm, the commons, the pub, and a bunch of rabbitholes to play in. Oh, and a mostly empty quad. If we had only one school, maybe we could have had some labs, more nightspots, a park, a karaoke bar...I don't know. But really, we're running around between three buildings for a sim year or so.
    New interactions-or the lack of. Where is the option to study with someone? Or a group? Other than the cram session in the commons when it happens. Why can't I click on someone and say do homework together? I know sims are capable of broadcasting different things...when they study, they should send out a signal that speeds up homework if you sit within a certain distance while they are doing theirs. Also, a "Go away I'm studying" interaction would have been cool when people bug you.
    Odd jobs-not positive about this, but pretty sure being a student keeps me from getting any job listings. My list is blank, but it works when I'm not a student. I'll admit I run with some mods, but I don't think i have any that would interfere. Anyway, would have been fun when I had an impoverished sim in school.
    Money is out of whack-$450-$550 just for debating? And tutoring takes too long and pays too much. I modded both of those; I tutor for an hour and get $10. We need shorter length items to squeeze into a busy schedule, not epic four hour sessions.
    Secret Society doesn't work-others have reported the same. Then again, just pleasing some sprites isn't my idea of a secret college organization.
    Where are the frats-would have been a cool add on to try and pledge and get a better, more fun place to live. Especially when we already have club structure in place.
    I could go on and on, but I gotta go to work. Just once I'd like to buy a pack and have things work right, so I'm using more than half my time playing instead of fixing and finding workarounds. I really should get paid if I have to fix my own game.

Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    @ravynwolvf reading your post makes me glad I didnt buy. Which is sad because I really wanted a Uni pack.... I just think with every pack they bring they just add on more issues to the game. There needs to be a point where they stop and try to fix what they can before moving on and really making sure each new pack is functional before releasing it.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    By that I don't mean that there isn't some good stuff; I like some of the objects, like being able to go to college, etc. But holy craptrap it's just one annoyance after another. It's like it's designed that way purposely.
    Living in the dorms was the worse; sims throwing food everywhere, playing instruments, turning up music, inviting over random townies, just throwing a pile of trash on the floor for no reason. They'd rarely approach my sim, but the second he tried to study, BAM, pester pester pester. Add some items so the place feels like a real college dorm, and instantly regretted it. Play ping pong, play ping pong, play ping pong. Shut off that autonomy. Do keg stand, do keg stand, do keg stand, shut that down. Study soccer strategy, study soccer strategy, study soccer strategy. Throw sim off building (if only I could...an expansion with nothing but new and glorious ways to kill your sims when they're being annoying would probably outsell all the previous ones combined).
    Things got better when I redesigned Darkwing House and moved over there, but it was basically just on a smaller scale. Still had Jaques Villareal hanging out 50% of the time just because he was a roommate's random friend. And the fact that even in a small house grills and stoves aren't allowed is just plain stupid.
    Then there's soccer. Managed to make it to the top level, but in 4 weeks of playing was injured about 50% of the time. A little bit excessive. And always exhausted, always filthy. If you're going to go through all that there should be better payback, like adoring fans or something. Anything.
    Even the little interactions seem keyed to failure. Tap the keg, fail, get a bad moodlet. Try and do a keg stand, fail, get a bad moodlet. It took me 6 times at one point to get a keg tapped, and this as an engineering student who'd already tapped about ten other kegs. And yeah, I've seen some people get dropped doing keg stands irl, but not 60% of the time. This kind of stuff isn't nearly as whacky and funny as Maxis seems to think it is, especially in excess.
    I even got a bad moodlet for eating too many quick meals (and who's fault is that?). Fine; sorta realistic. Went over to the commons, but it was 9:30am, and it said dinner wasn't until 5 o'clock. Really?!? So I decided to go to a real park and grill. And when the the travel option opened up, it had one of my roommates highlighted to go with me, which I clicked off. So what does he do? Shows up anyway, in a group. Second time in a row he just comes along whether I want him to or not. Can't I just play my game without having things crammed down my throat? I guess after five years I should know the answer to that.

I get that with every other game I play. I get killed in the first few minutes. Takes me umpteen tries to get to the next level. :)
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Maybe they're just not that into you?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options

Maybe they're just not that into you?

Impossible. Now if you implied my sim wasn't into them, that I'd buy, given his flirt with them, and when they flirt back, refuse it and play hard to get.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited December 2019
    What I remember from the very first Sims' game is to give your Sims as few distractions as possible to get them to concentrate on anything and I believe that's the whole game's mindset. Belongings/luxury don't help. Give the Sim a single good bed, desk, computer, no love interest good toilet and shower, fridge and lock their door to all others. Just like life getting through University, really. :) Otherwise you end up working in the Media industry! o:)>:)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    You poor souls are making me very relieved that I've not gotten the pack! Having gone to college in several states, including living in dorms, what you are describing sounds like an episode of 'The Twilight Zone', not an attempt to make a game version of the college experience. TS2 version is light years ahead of this mess.
  • Options
    ...and now with my final sim I sent to school, who got an A+ physics degree, I still had to enter the engineering career at level one. No bonus, no higher level, no nothing. Just a big steaming mess of a pack as far as I'm concerned.