Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University may be the most annoying expansion of all

124...Next

Comments

• Cinna32Cinna32 Posts: 83 Member
    I solved the annoying roommates by making them playable. Downside is you have to play them as well but at least you can send them away if need be. For me the most annoying thing was really the food. Even in the cafeteria you only ever get normal level food. Plus as mentioned above, it's annoying having to travel there.
    Imho the easiest fix would be for maxis to distinguish in their "cook" menu between food that actually needs cooking/baking and the rest. I don't really see why my sim can't make a salad if there's no stove in the house. That makes zero sense whatsoever. I get why they'd not allow stoves in the dorms, but to still let your sim make salads etc. would be a good (and logical) compromise without having to suffer from negativ buffs for eating lots of microwave food.. -.-
  • Jake_Man53Jake_Man53 Posts: 10 New Member
    I don't know if enyone complained about this or not but my issues revolve around how a sim is sent to University. It's not like Sims 3 where you go off to school and when you are done you return home. You actually have to have your sim join a new household, meaning that they are no longer part of the original. I'm running a sim household with 8 sims. I sent one off to University and he (I) spent the 3 weeks to get his degree. When I wanted to return him home there was no room as another child had been born into that family. This is just wrong and not at all like real life. Consequently I am NOT ever sending a sim to university again as it disrupts my household!!!!!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Actually is like that in 2. Teen sim moves out to go to college, there's even a taxi on both ends. Cute video on the arrival side. Once graduated sim can live anywhere. Since there is no automatic time passage the player controls household size, not the game.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't know why everybody thought that Discover University would be the Best Thing Ever and exactly the same as University, when Sims 3 and Sims 4 run on completely different engines with completely different world-types.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    And completely different underlying philosophies on game creation. We have too many starving folks that will grasp at straws in the vain hope 'this' pack will be 'the one'. If the game was solid the desperation wouldn't be there.
  • emilyraemeowemilyraemeow Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm trying really really hard to like this expansion. I've played it for several hours now, and it takes a lot of work not to flunk out. Can't we just have an oven? Even in the more traditional housing style, there's no oven? C'mon. I haven't tried living off campus and commuting, so maybe that would improve somethings...but that adds a lot of traveling, loading time, and gives you less opportunities to interact with other students and participate in club/uni life. AND I MISS HAVING PETS. LET ME BRING A DOG TO MY DORM!
  • ZevanoxZevanox Posts: 30 Member
    One of my Sims's roommates kept bringing a new girlfriend/boyfriend every day and they always hated him. I felt so bad for the poor lad who kept getting slapped.

The thing that bothered me the most in this pack was that other Sims always barged in my room to do their homework. Like sheesh, have you heard of invasion of privacy ?? And also the fact that every time I sat my sim down at their desk to start their homework they'd always get up and go do their homework in someone else's room... like SHEESH, have you heard of invasion of privacy ? XD

I was trying to play my vampire Sim and I keep wanting to have him eat in secret (slurping his plasma packs) alone so that others wouldn't figure out he's a vampire but even though I sent him in his room, he'd prefer to barge out and slurp his plasma packs in the main lobby in front of everyone. That defeated the purpose of my exploits.
    It's like he wants to get discovered lol.

My Sim's roommates were also always filthy and honestly I have no idea if they ever went to class. All they'd do is play their instrument non stop even if they were absolutely filthy.

I do agree that there were some pet peeves here and there, but overall I was really anticipating a University experience. I'm just a tad sad that they didn't implement a "goodbye hug" from their parents before the Sim headed off to university, it feels a little disconnected from the world but otherwise I thought the university stuff was alright despite it's flaws. The class and term system was pretty good imo (Just wish it was more expensive to make it feel a little more real).
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Zevanox wrote: »
    One of my Sims's roommates kept bringing a new girlfriend/boyfriend every day and they always hated him. I felt so bad for the poor lad who kept getting slapped.

The thing that bothered me the most in this pack was that other Sims always barged in my room to do their homework. Like sheesh, have you heard of invasion of privacy ?? And also the fact that every time I sat my sim down at their desk to start their homework they'd always get up and go do their homework in someone else's room... like SHEESH, have you heard of invasion of privacy ? XD

I was trying to play my vampire Sim and I keep wanting to have him eat in secret (slurping his plasma packs) alone so that others wouldn't figure out he's a vampire but even though I sent him in his room, he'd prefer to barge out and slurp his plasma packs in the main lobby in front of everyone. That defeated the purpose of my exploits.
    It's like he wants to get discovered lol.

My Sim's roommates were also always filthy and honestly I have no idea if they ever went to class. All they'd do is play their instrument non stop even if they were absolutely filthy.

I do agree that there were some pet peeves here and there, but overall I was really anticipating a University experience. I'm just a tad sad that they didn't implement a "goodbye hug" from their parents before the Sim headed off to university, it feels a little disconnected from the world but otherwise I thought the university stuff was alright despite it's flaws. The class and term system was pretty good imo (Just wish it was more expensive to make it feel a little more real).

I'm about to send my own vampire sim to college, even though I swore I'd never go again. But mine has no intention of hiding; part of the reason I'm sending him. So he can wreck havoc. Someone barges into his room, they're getting mesmerized. They get out a violin? Enjoy your hallucination. Bother me again and I'll drain you and your bladder in front of your girlfriend, before alluring visaging her away from you. Plus vampiric run and all night studying should make getting to class and homework even easier. I want chaos and retribution for all the sims you went to college before me!
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I'm about to send my own vampire sim to college, even though I swore I'd never go again. But mine has no intention of hiding; part of the reason I'm sending him. So he can wreck havoc. Someone barges into his room, they're getting mesmerized. They get out a violin? Enjoy your hallucination. Bother me again and I'll drain you and your bladder in front of your girlfriend, before alluring visaging her away from you. Plus vampiric run and all night studying should make getting to class and homework even easier. I want chaos and retribution for all the sims you went to college before me!

I had mine spam Influence Emotions iii - anger, every time I got annoyed. There's quite the line of gravestones on the dorms balcony now. If it wasn't them barging in to my LOCKED room, it was my own sim getting up from his own desk to go sit at someone elses in their room. And everyone that pulled out a violin died the moment I saw it.

Sent a spellcaster with modded lethal untamed spells too. Though unmodded works if you set fire to the side of the bed they get out of.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Especially since in TS2 each dorm has its own cafeteria, complete with NPC cook slinging the hash. The idea of new versions of a game is to make what came before better, not reinvent the wheel by adding corners to it.

Thank You!!!!!! Well said! You just got to the root of the whole problem!!!
    So Lillith left her bicycle.... somewhere. I had to send Angela to Foxbury for some Spirit Club stuff (mildly annoying club, but Angela Pleasant was always a mildly annoying Sim anyway) and had her put the bike back into her inventory. Then I had her travel to her own campus, and both of the bikes were gone from the inventory. They weren't in the household inventory, either. They vanished. Forever.

After 50 minutes of loading screens late last night, I decided to shut down the game. It had other plans. I ended up having to use the nuclear power button option to turn off my computer. Apparently the disappearing bicycle bug is contagious.

I liked the pool tables in the old version better than ping pong. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I remember quite a bit of pool-playing in college, but not once do I remember anyone playing ping pong. Juice Pong... maybe a little more realistic.

As for the cafeterias, I went to two universities, and one had one cafeteria in the Student Union, although each Greek House (where are they, by the way?) had its own. The other university had a cafeteria in each residence hall and a vegan option in the Student Union. I'm kind of meh about students having to go to the Student Union twice a day to eat. It doesn't reflect every Simmer's collegiate experience, and it's just annnoying.

I'm not a fan of the fatigue thing going on now when my Sims work out (or, I assume, join intramurals), but it is more realistic. They get over it once they reach a certain level of fitness. I might even say that was an actual improvement over the old system. And since I decided that all my Young Adults must serve in the military before they're allowed to go to college, it won't be a big issue. I miss the soccer goal. I miss Sims being able to throw footballs and softballs. I am, however, glad that the Kicky Bag has finally been banished to the Outer Darkness where it belongs.

Kudos to the developers on the new schedule system, though. I actually had a panic attack the first time I noticed one of my Sims had a presentation due. THIS was what was missing from the older versions of the game!

but i loved the Kicky Bag lol
    And completely different underlying philosophies on game creation. We have too many starving folks that will grasp at straws in the vain hope 'this' pack will be 'the one'. If the game was solid the desperation wouldn't be there.

There you go again making so much sense!!! So I guess you understand also that The Sims 5 won't fix anything.
    Just returned to the game and found my sims were "on probation" because I moved other sims into dorms to start college and then was going to play each dorm with my sims there to socialize with.
    I "thought" I could fix it and get them off probation by going to all classes and doing presentations, term papers and homework. they were all on 0 days of the term when I started playing 4 sims, in the end after finals 3 were "suspended" and one of them had a c.
    So now what? I have to undo all the sims I sent to the various dorms and play only one dorm full course? Because all the ones I sent already are "on probation". And if I send them home each sim will have to wait 5 days to enroll again, 8 if you count applying for a scholarship. If I play them on probation they will fail. Any suggestions from anyone?

In playing rotational we are integrating what is a base game feature which is building generations, I had always let my sims pick their own mates and the only place I could get the interactions naturally was university packs. But what worked so well in the past was that studying together built relationships and I could have sworn it was in the advertisement for this pack but there is no option for it.

Perhaps it would be good for EA to hire some real rotational players to help develop their packs and actually listen to them. I really wish we could understand since we have an economic interest in buying all these game packs and expansions, to at least know where the screwed up mindset for development of the game comes from. I have played since TS1 can I ask if any of the developers have or is the problem from higher up?
    Sorry Guru's but I have to be honest.
    Thank you for your kind words. Maybe having nearly 3/4 of a century under my belt has something to do with it. Or having spent 13 years in the navy, or no telling what else. Have been simming since 1 first came out so know what works in a sims game and what doesn't. 4 doesn't, not even close. Very pretty, but pretty does not make up for botched development or programming. Or bad decisions by the suits who control the whole deal for maximizing profits at the expense of those who pay the freight.
    Thank you for your kind words. Maybe having nearly 3/4 of a century under my belt has something to do with it. Or having spent 13 years in the navy, or no telling what else. Have been simming since 1 first came out so know what works in a sims game and what doesn't. 4 doesn't, not even close. Very pretty, but pretty does not make up for botched development or programming. Or bad decisions by the suits who control the whole deal for maximizing profits at the expense of those who pay the freight.

Your so welcome, I love the multitasking and emotions in TS4 but that is about all I stay with it for, every time I get frustrated it occurs to me to go back to TS3 because that is my favorite.
    I moved 4 of my sims into a house in university and will see how it goes, most had failed but a few had a half decent grade and I kept one that failed to re-enroll her and try to bring her grade up. I'm pushing 60 myself and know what makes sense in the sims because it is the only game I have played for years.

I think I actually got to post this without making my cat mad lol, she likes her cuddles with no electronics. She let me play but gets bossy if i try to type.
    I tend to go to TS2 for the same reason. Never got into 3 much mainly because screenshots are no longer tied to the houses, so no real story telling, and that the sims all look alike. Lots of really good ideas and interesting packs/worlds though. Used to play Neverwinter Nights a lot, but that's getting so old resources are hard to find and it runs only on XP, and an old machine. My favorite part of that was/is the developers toolset being included. The games the players came up with! Would be fun to do with the Sims if it was possible.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I tend to go to TS2 for the same reason. Never got into 3 much mainly because screenshots are no longer tied to the houses, so no real story telling, and that the sims all look alike. Lots of really good ideas and interesting packs/worlds though. Used to play Neverwinter Nights a lot, but that's getting so old resources are hard to find and it runs only on XP, and an old machine. My favorite part of that was/is the developers toolset being included. The games the players came up with! Would be fun to do with the Sims if it was possible.
    Because you have to be in a house to be able to tell a story? (I fear I don't understand what you mean ;)) And sims in all the versions tend to look alike in a way. Except in Medieval perhaps.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,875 Member
    edited January 2020
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Because you have to be in a house to be able to tell a story? (I fear I don't understand what you mean ;)) And sims in all the versions tend to look alike in a way. Except in Medieval perhaps.

@JoAnne65 at TS2, ingame-screenies (those taken by pressing C ) show up, if looking at during playing the game, at every individual households own albums, if you take a picture when playing family A, it will show up at the album of family A, when you play family B, their screenies are located on their, family B's individual photoalbum, same continues to how ever many families you have, all have their own individual album where their families pics go :)
    I assume that is what they ment :) I do not know about TS3, as never played it :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina

@JoAnne65 at TS2, ingame-screenies (those taken by pressing C ) show up, if looking at during playing the game, at every individual households own albums, if you take a picture when playing family A, it will show up at the album of family A, when you play family B, their screenies are located on their, family B's individual photoalbum, same continues to how ever many families you have, all have their own individual album where their families pics go :)
    I assume that is what they ment :) I do not know about TS3, as never played it :)
    Oh, thanks, now I understand what was meant. Indeed, TS3 doesn’t have such an ingame screenshot system (nor does TS4?). I’d never played TS2 when I started playing TS3 so obviously I never missed that.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited January 2020

Happy New Year! Thanks for making that point! I guess sometimes I consider EA to be like a bad relationship, keep hoping for the best and trying to deal with the inconsideration and the worse lol, with just enough giving to barely keep someone around.

TS3 has the islands and I love building and living on the houseboats. Was just getting into the "finding all the islands" when TS4 came out.

TS2 did not have a good save system and I was not savvy enough to know how to package families so I lost the families and had just figured out the awesomeness of the generations expansion when TS3 came out.

So, that is also part of my decision to not even consider TS5 because they are obviously not taking the best parts of The Sims and making them even better, they are reinventing the whole game each time. Awesome would be to base game the best features of the past and then incorporate new nifty stuff as they go forward.
    I believe at some point I will go back to TS2 and TS3 when I can handle starting 2 from scratch and deal with no emotions and multitasking in TS3.

For now I am trying university, I got 4 sims into a residential property and played one semester, was able to bring the F grade up to a D and learned about presentations and term papers. I made a so so version of the M*A*S*H characters and Radar has the best grade lol. Then I moved the 4 into the dorm and am almost through a semester.

I do like that you can do gardening on the lots that have grass in university so I always have fruit and veggies in the inventories to eat, one dorm always has sims bringing in expensive food and putting it on the coffee table.
    The one thing about living residential though is one sim was enrolled in the other university and I did not realize it so when I moved them into the dorm I had to change her major but it was worth it. They will not allow flirting even though 2 of them have high relationship bars but the NPC's can? I do wish when picking classes that there would be a notification for how may term papers would be due, 2 sims had 2 term papers and a presentation due for 2 classes and 1 elective, I could have left off the elective class.
    It takes far too long to finish homework and where the study book will say homework is complete, doing homework on the computer will most of the time let you study even when the homework book says homework is complete, even switching back and forth. I hate not being able to option for study group but there are ways to see the presentation and term paper quality before turning them in but no way to see the differences in class grades. I like university TS3 much better. And I also really miss the photo album for families. I did see a child picking up trash but have seen no pets.

Oh and I love the "romantic" music station, wish EA would get "Vampire Weekend" to do some songs, their album "Father of the Bride" is being nominated for best album of the year.
    edited January 2020
    simplyzoe wrote: »

Happy New Year! Thanks for making that point! I guess sometimes I consider EA to be like a bad relationship, keep hoping for the best and trying to deal with the inconsideration and the worse lol, with just enough giving to barely keep someone around.

TS3 has the islands and I love building and living on the houseboats. Was just getting into the "finding all the islands" when TS4 came out.

TS2 did not have a good save system and I was not savvy enough to know how to package families so I lost the families and had just figured out the awesomeness of the generations expansion when TS3 came out.

So, that is also part of my decision to not even consider TS5 because they are obviously not taking the best parts of The Sims and making them even better, they are reinventing the whole game each time. Awesome would be to base game the best features of the past and then incorporate new nifty stuff as they go forward.
    I believe at some point I will go back to TS2 and TS3 when I can handle starting 2 from scratch and deal with no emotions and multitasking in TS3.

For now I am trying university, I got 4 sims into a residential property and played one semester, was able to bring the F grade up to a D and learned about presentations and term papers. I made a so so version of the M*A*S*H characters and Radar has the best grade lol. Then I moved the 4 into the dorm and am almost through a semester.

I do like that you can do gardening on the lots that have grass in university so I always have fruit and veggies in the inventories to eat, one dorm always has sims bringing in expensive food and putting it on the coffee table.
    The one thing about living residential though is one sim was enrolled in the other university and I did not realize it so when I moved them into the dorm I had to change her major but it was worth it. They will not allow flirting even though 2 of them have high relationship bars but the NPC's can? I do wish when picking classes that there would be a notification for how may term papers would be due, 2 sims had 2 term papers and a presentation due for 2 classes and 1 elective, I could have left off the elective class.
    It takes far too long to finish homework and where the study book will say homework is complete, doing homework on the computer will most of the time let you study even when the homework book says homework is complete, even switching back and forth. I hate not being able to option for study group but there are ways to see the presentation and term paper quality before turning them in but no way to see the differences in class grades. I like university TS3 much better. And I also really miss the photo album for families. I did see a child picking up trash but have seen no pets.
    Sims 2 and 3 do have emotions, though they're not accompanied by a jingle to tell the player so and a pop up. But sims get sad, angry, disgusted, happy etc nonetheless. And there's always a reason. When I see my sim's face change, I always want to find out what made them have a certain emotion (moodlet), and quite often it turns out something happened that is interesting enough to get into. Someone's cheating, there's spoiled food somewhere, a shark or a vampire is passing by, finding out is worth it. It's never just an aura attached to an object.

As it happens I've started to discover the islands with my sim recently as well and I've being having fun doing so for many many sim days now without discovering one island yet. There's just so much to do that gets me distracted, he will get there but so far other things got in the way. That's what I love about this game. I have some plan and then the game interrupts and goes: "Oh yeah, that's your plan? Good idea, you'll get there eventually but... how about doing this first?"
    5JZ57S6.png
    simplyzoe wrote: »

Sims 2 and 3 do have emotions, though they're not accompanied by a jingle to tell the player so and a pop up. But sims get sad, angry, disgusted, happy etc nonetheless. And there's always a reason. When I see my sim's face change, I always want to find out what made them have a certain emotion (moodlet), and quite often it turns out something happened that is interesting enough to get into. Someone's cheating, there's spoiled food somewhere, a shark or a vampire is passing by, finding out is worth it. It's never just an aura attached to an object.

As it happens I've started to discover the islands with my sim recently as well and I've being having fun doing so for many many sim days now without discovering one island yet. There's just so much to do that gets me distracted, he will get there but so far other things got in the way. That's what I love about this game. I have some plan and then the game interrupts and goes: "Oh yeah, that's your plan? Good idea, you'll get there eventually but... how about doing this first?"

Thanks for that reminder about emotions! I remember now I had 2 sim families in TS3 and was getting 2 of the kids from each family ready to get married when one of the moms put a lip lock on the other mom who was happily married! The kids walked in on it and all of them started crying, got very angry, totally broke the relationships with both moms and messed up the ability to have a happy double wedding!
    As far as the islands go, some of them I could boat up to the foggy areas and it would reveal the island, some had to have a treasure map that I think a sim found on the beach washed up on an island, there were more tricks which is why I had left the "knowledgeable sims" that came with the island in the game and was trying to befriend them in case they could help, I usually move them all out and my sims in. I'm so glad you reminded me of that lol